Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lampley is a twat.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Imperius3
I am sick of Lampley's biased commentary. He gave Clottey no credit, while calling Cotto the "better man" even though he "may have lost the fight" and was in retreat mode. He couldn't stop babbling about how courageous Cotto was for fighting on with that gash (this took heart no doubt), but for him to completely ignore how Clottey twisted his knee (an even worse injury) and kept on fighting also...that's just not right.

Lampley, you're a nuthugging cheerleader. Please end the nightmare now and pull the trigger.
provo
LOL... Lampley pissed me off too..lol, especially in the 6th when " he said "here's the miguel cotto of old " he was on cottos nuts in the 6th round .. And right before the round stated clottey was making it clear to his corner that his knee was bothering him....
JD
Lampley's twatness has been a longstanding issue.
kidbazooka1
Lampley is alright Stewart is the real f*cking idiot who said he had Clottey up the whole fight with the exception of the 1st rd. Now that muthaf*cker needs to get the boot.
Lil-lightsout
Lampley sucked, Stewart really sucked, Max was real quiet, and I actually thought Lederman was not too bad tonight.
Thegreatequalizer
yeah, lamps was pretty bad tonight. sometimes i'm pretty sure i know what steward means, but he never explains himself clearly enough, so it comes off a bit moronic at times. and sometimes it's just moronic. i think maybe larry merchant is sending him shots from the bar. and maybe lennox is passing him a joint.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jun 13 2009, 11:31 PM) *
I am sick of Lampley's biased commentary. He gave Clottey no credit, while calling Cotto the "better man" even though he "may have lost the fight" and was in retreat mode. He couldn't stop babbling about how courageous Cotto was for fighting on with that gash (this took heart no doubt), but for him to completely ignore how Clottey twisted his knee (an even worse injury) and kept on fighting also...that's just not right.

Lampley, you're a nuthugging cheerleader. Please end the nightmare now and pull the trigger.

Cosign. I can never understand Manny either. HBO should bring back Roy Jones. Sure, he's full of himself as a person, but does a good commentary. I miss Roy's commentary. Lamps, as stated above, acted like Josh wasn't even there!

Jack
kingknockout
racism/prejudice...pick one
Imperius3
I liked how Steward and Kellerman both commented on how they thought Clottey was winning, and then Lampley chimed in with some stupid shit like "Well guys, Cotto did have a good 4th and 6th round."

Seriously Jim, shut the fuck up.
Fitz
The twisted knee was worse than Cotto's cut? Ok.

He overplayed the knee thing. He had a bad round just after that, but after that round he was moving around the same.
D-MARV
Steward was worst then Lampley last night.
Method
I couldnt believe HBO, with all their bullshit about the more aggressive guy winning the fight (over the years), etc, had Lampley out there at the end of the telecast saying, it was Cotto's HUMAN qualities which were rewarded tonight. Fuck THAT.

How about it was Cotto being Puerto Rican, fighting in the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade, on a Top Rank card, with hand picked Top Rank Judges, so they could preserve an BLOCKBUSTER ALL-TOP RANK fight between he and Manny Paq. Just say that.
thisneverworks
I myself can't stand Kellerman. He is "better" (relatively speaking) as an in-studio commentator but calling fights, just painful. I was thankful that he was losing his voice last night so I didn't have to hear him too much.

Steward is 2nd on my list, I don't care much for him either but Lampley is Lampley. When he has some knowledgeable people around him he seems to feel less forced to carry the conversation and make stupid comments.
Method
I thought Max was the best of the bunch last night, at least called it a it was...as opposed to as it should be called given the pre-determined outcome.

I will say that I do get a kick out of his "I think of Who I would rather be in a round" philosophy of scoring, not because I think it is a wrong philosophy, but rather because I know it is one which gets scrutinized by the hard core rooting public.
traced4040
i say give bernard hopkins a go

he did interviews about the hatton vs pac fight and actually icked pac despite being a VP of GBP

it shows he can be objective andhe had good insight as to why manny would win

also george foreman was pretty decent

i think the thing they lack is the natural ability to build up the fight and tell a storybefore the fight starts

i think lampley is good with that but not great with actual fight commentary

some of the things he says doesnt make sense and i think he's trying to make it more dramatic than what he is, which is what gets him in trouble

traced4040
oh and the brits that commented on the pac vs hatton fight were great

full of passion without any poetic BS or cheerleadin

Mean Mister Mustard
Lampley was at his biased best during a DLH fight. Any, DLH fight. I also noticed that for about the past 4 years one of the things they, meaning he and Steward, do is that when a house fighter starts taking control of a fight they suddenly start talking about his personality. Last night they did it again with cotto, they started talking about what a stand up guy he is, how he refuses to say anything bad about his trainer or Margarito. Never mind the fact that he may have assaulted his uncle and that he did badmouth Margarito (according to the info posted in this forum). HBO's cheerleading sqaud never ceases to amaze me.
salvador
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jun 14 2009, 03:47 AM) *
I liked how Steward and Kellerman both commented on how they thought Clottey was winning, and then Lampley chimed in with some stupid shit like "Well guys, Cotto did have a good 4th and 6th round."

Seriously Jim, shut the fuck up.

I totally agree.

I happen to really like Lampley, but his prejudice towards HBO fighters is really wearing me down. Last night was shameful, just like the Cotto-Marg fight.

I think Kellerman is great.
buford54
As sad as it is to say, similar to politics, you can only dedicate yourself to a certain machine for so long before you become a part of it.
They should set term limits on broadcasters. Now that Lampley is "HBO's Boxing Guy," what is good for HBO is good for Lampley, so he tows their line completely.

Of course, like in politics, that will never happen because networks want to have people who cheerlead their best interests.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 14 2009, 07:21 AM) *
I couldnt believe HBO, with all their bullshit about the more aggressive guy winning the fight (over the years), etc, had Lampley out there at the end of the telecast saying, it was Cotto's HUMAN qualities which were rewarded tonight. Fuck THAT.

How about it was Cotto being Puerto Rican, fighting in the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade, on a Top Rank card, with hand picked Top Rank Judges, so they could preserve an BLOCKBUSTER ALL-TOP RANK fight between he and Manny Paq. Just say that.

The truth spoken by Method! And I believe it was JD who called it that Clottey would not win unless he totally dominated.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 14 2009, 10:21 AM) *
Lampley was at his biased best during a DLH fight. Any, DLH fight. I also noticed that for about the past 4 years one of the things they, meaning he and Steward, do is that when a house fighter starts taking control of a fight they suddenly start talking about his personality. Last night they did it again with cotto, they started talking about what a stand up guy he is, how he refuses to say anything bad about his trainer or Margarito. Never mind the fact that he may have assaulted his uncle and that he did badmouth Margarito (according to the info posted in this forum). HBO's cheerleading squad never ceases to amaze me.

Exactly Mustard!

Showtime, when they got off the Tyson love affair bandwagon, is much less biased in calling fights. HBO is obligated to look for the next big star and get him a long term contract. Olympians on HBO get OHHHH's and Ahhhh's from the broadcast team for the fighter that is under long term contract. If they don't, as in the case of Larry Merchant, who got suspended for a telecast saying, "Delahoya's entrance music sucked," their jobs could be on the line. There's no free speech, or at least their are parameters about what can be said about a fighter by a broadcast team when that fighter is under contract.

What's different than Lampley Pom-Poming an HBO fighter and a boxing judge cheerleading for the pom pom fighter by looking at his scorecard? The judge's verdict is official, Lamps is not. But the effect of the guy who is supposed to win is often reflected not only in official cards, but the voice inflections of Jim Lampley.

Jack
MarzB
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 14 2009, 10:21 AM) *
Lampley was at his biased best during a DLH fight. Any, DLH fight. I also noticed that for about the past 4 years one of the things they, meaning he and Steward, do is that when a house fighter starts taking control of a fight they suddenly start talking about his personality. Last night they did it again with cotto, they started talking about what a stand up guy he is, how he refuses to say anything bad about his trainer or Margarito. Never mind the fact that he may have assaulted his uncle and that he did badmouth Margarito (according to the info posted in this forum). HBO's cheerleading sqaud never ceases to amaze me.

The DLH vs Vargas fight was the best illustration of this . Frankly I think HBO is well aware of this themselves and in fact encourages it (that along with Larry's antics where if a fight isnt a slugfest it can't hold his drunken attention span amongst the BS he says). How long have we complained about this?? I can easily count 10+ years.

I've come to accept it and its funny how Max was one of the best last night when he had a sore throat and hardly said anything..
Spyder
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jun 14 2009, 01:37 PM) *
The DLH vs Vargas fight was the best illustration of this . Frankly I think HBO is well aware of this themselves and in fact encourages it (that along with Larry's antics where if a fight isnt a slugfest it can't hold his drunken attention span amongst the BS he says). How long have we complained about this?? I can easily count 10+ years.

I've come to accept it and its funny how Max was one of the best last night when he had a sore throat and hardly said anything..

Jim Lampley has said on multiple occasions that Fernando Vargas is his favorite fighter of the last 20 years, so I'm not sure that your example is the best.

Lamps cheerleading last night was ALMOST more annoying than the audio buzz throughout the telecast...it was like they left a mic open somewhere that was dying.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (MarzB @ Jun 14 2009, 12:37 PM) *

I agree with you and Jack. Regarding Merchant, it was funny to see Merchant complaining in the Mayweather-DLH fight that PBF was not doing better than was anticipated (As if he was expected to run over DLH which no one did, in fact if there was going to be a KO it was DLH who had the best shot). Then in one of the late rounds he starts complaining that PBF is only throwing one shot at a time and at that excact moment he drilled DLH with a 4 punch combo. However, even if he hadn't thrown that combo, who says you have to throw them? Especially when the other guy is trying to counter you and you are doing so well throwing 1 at a time?

Lampley is worse in my opinion. Apart from being grouchy every now and then Merchant still speaks his mind. Lampley however can be a drama queen. Case in point, in the JMM-MAB fight he kept complaining about the missed KD by Barerra. Lamps was furious. Then when the replays clearly showed the fall caused by a punch he went insane. Yet, when Judah clearly dropped Mayweather in their fight he acted like the wrong call wasn't that bad.

Or how about when Barrera took an early lead against Rocky Juarez in their 2nd fight and then did the minimum to score a UD late in the fight as he spent most of the time moving around the ring? Lampley blamed Juarez for not letting his hands go enough. Yet when Taylor had the same problem against Spinks, who spent most of the time trying to make him miss, Lampley blamed Spinks for boxing too much.

We could go on all day digging up more HBO bias but I think the point has been made. I am usually tempted to mute the commentary but I still want to hear the crowd and punches. It would be cool if there was a feature that allowed to only mute the commentary.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 14 2009, 06:35 AM) *
The twisted knee was worse than Cotto's cut? Ok.

He overplayed the knee thing. He had a bad round just after that, but after that round he was moving around the same.

Have you ever twisted your knee before? Clottey did not have the same leverage on his punches after that. He wasn't moving the same either, and he was slipping from time to time because, in my view, his knee could not support him very well. Like you mentioned, the 6th round was a clear indication of this when Clottey could not get out of the way of Cotto's attack when he was against the ropes. This reminds me when Lampley stupidly said, "The Cotto of old has reemerged!"

Lampley sucks.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jun 13 2009, 09:31 PM) *

Yeah, THAT'S classy.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jun 14 2009, 03:39 PM) *
Yeah, THAT'S classy.

I wasn't joking, he should do it.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
yea, I really couldn't stand lamps last night. Usually I like Lampley, but he really bent over backwards to give Cotto every benefit of the doubt. Cotto just ain't going to be the next superstar like De La Hoya, and they need to get over that fact. They tried to make Cotto out to be some Arturo Gatti like gladiator last night, and it just didn't seem to fit. Granted, he has mad heart and I'll never question that. However, he was running most of the fight and HBO really overplayed the "human" like qualities. It's fine that Lampley likes Cotto, but he needs to stay somewhat objective in his commentary.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 15 2009, 01:33 AM) *
Haha. No he wasn't. He was slipping because of the painted mat and not having grip. You do realise when Cotto tossed him, Clottey did slip as well in that case? It was a mix between Cotto throwing him and Clottey slipping. This was before the knee incident. He was also slipping many times before the knee incident as well.
You are making this up, as he was slipping well before.

We'll see about that when I watch the fight again. I remember there being a dramatic difference in the way Clottey moved after the knee incident. There was also a dramatic difference in the way he was throwing punches, which you did not comment on.
Imperius3
We'll have to agree to disagree on all of that. I'd really like to see a rematch, where hopefully no accidental headbutts or intentional throwdowns occur.
King Eugene
Lampley is an asshole and Merchant is a damn drunk! I say the next super fight should have Kellerman, Jones, an Foreman. Like Jack said Jones is a good commentator. He really knows his shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.