Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clottey vs Berto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Douchebag
I think this would be a good fight that actually makes sense for both of these guys. Lets be real, Clottey more then likely is not getting a rematch with Cotto so why not make this fight. I think this fight makes a lot of sense and both guys have a decent chance of winning. Thoughts?
JD
Berto isn't ready for Clottey in my opinion.

The problem is, if he isn't ready for him now - when will he be ready?
Douchebag
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 14 2009, 10:20 AM) *

Exactly! If he can't get past Clottey then he shouldn't be mentioned at all. I think its a good fight for both of them, especially after last night.
EirbinX
it would probably be a boring fight wit the mixture of hit and grab and earmuffing would be most of the fight but i'd give it 2 clottey by decision
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 14 2009, 09:20 AM) *

Berto ain't never getting in the ring with Clottey. No chance.

Maybe Williams will fight Clottey.
Keith
to be honest, clottey has choked in both his big fights. maybe the hand deal against margs is a legit excuse but its still an excuse. and not going for the throat last night is unacceptable. he could of really taken it to cotto but instead... we got ear muffs. maybe its clottey who doesnt deserve to fight berto or williams.
salvador
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 14 2009, 10:55 AM) *
to be honest, clottey has choked in both his big fights. maybe the hand deal against margs is a legit excuse but its still an excuse. and not going for the throat last night is unacceptable. he could of really taken it to cotto but instead... we got ear muffs. maybe its clottey who doesnt deserve to fight berto or williams.

Are you insane?

What in the hell has Berto done that would make him too great a prize for Clottey? Clottey smokes Berto, but it won't happen because Berto ain't going to man up.
Keith
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 14 2009, 12:06 PM) *
Are you insane?

What in the hell has Berto done that would make him too great a prize for Clottey? Clottey smokes Berto, but it won't happen because Berto ain't going to man up.

lol. i love when people get emotional. i am not saying berto is better then clottey. i would agree that he probably is not. but i am not sure at this point that clottey deserves anyone. he is not in a position to dictate who should fight him. he choked twice. he is 31 and he is not going to become a better fighter all of a sudden. i think we have seen the best of clottey and it is not good enough. he has no belt, no marquee victory, no pay per view cred, no untapped potential.
Lil-lightsout
I would take Clottey in this fight. But it would also matter what type of ref was used too. How would he deal with Berto's art of Ruiz hugging?
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 14 2009, 12:39 PM) *
but i am not sure at this point that clottey deserves anyone. he is not in a position to dictate who should fight him. he choked twice. he is 31 and he is not going to become a better fighter all of a sudden. i think we have seen the best of clottey and it is not good enough. he has no belt, no marquee victory, no pay per view cred, no untapped potential.

haha. you're hilarious. he just went 12 close rounds with one of the top p4p fighters and you're saying he may not even deserve to fight? yeah. right on.
salvador
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 14 2009, 11:39 AM) *
lol. i love when people get emotional. i am not saying berto is better then clottey. i would agree that he probably is not. but i am not sure at this point that clottey deserves anyone. he is not in a position to dictate who should fight him. he choked twice. he is 31 and he is not going to become a better fighter all of a sudden. i think we have seen the best of clottey and it is not good enough. he has no belt, no marquee victory, no pay per view cred, no untapped potential.

Who's getting emotional?

By asking if you were insane I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because what you said makes no sense. But now that you've elaborated a bit, I realize that you're not crazy, you're just an idiot.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 14 2009, 11:55 AM) *

That's real talk Keith. I got your back on this one. Clottey's heart is a big question. Berto could outhustle Clottey and steal one and if he jumps on Clottey while he has quit in his eyes Berto could stop him. Clottey has NO CHANCE against Williams or Floyd. You cant lose concentration against those guys. I think we might see a Clottey/Margarito 2 unless Arum tries to protect them.
salvador
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 14 2009, 02:26 PM) *
That's real talk Keith. I got your back on this one. Clottey's heart is a big question. Berto could outhustle Clottey and steal one and if he jumps on Clottey while he has quit in his eyes Berto could stop him. Clottey has NO CHANCE against Williams or Floyd. You cant lose concentration against those guys. I think we might see a Clottey/Margarito 2 unless Arum tries to protect them.

First of all, Arum doesn't have to try to protect Marg or Clottey as they, along with Williams, are the only guys at ww who are willing to fight everyone and neither guy is in a position to turn down a big fight of any kind. And if you think Floyd would EVER get in the ring with Clottey or Williams then you must be drunk. Floyd would probably beat Clottey, but it's a long way from a lock.

I hope I'm wrong about Berto ducking Clottey because I think that it's time for Berto, who turns 26 in Sept, to step up and face a real contender. I happen to think that Berto loses to just about all the top wws right now including Clottey.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 14 2009, 05:14 PM) *
First of all, Arum doesn't have to try to protect Marg or Clottey as they, along with Williams, are the only guys at ww who are willing to fight everyone and neither guy is in a position to turn down a big fight of any kind. And if you think Floyd would EVER get in the ring with Clottey or Williams then you must be drunk. Floyd would probably beat Clottey, but it's a long way from a lock.

I hope I'm wrong about Berto ducking Clottey because I think that it's time for Berto, who turns 26 in Sept, to step up and face a real contender. I happen to think that Berto loses to just about all the top wws right now including Clottey.

Don't get me wrong Sal, Clottey is a strong, durable, talented dude that would give anybody a tough fight but he had Margarito beat and gave up. The same thing happened with Cotto. Simply continuing to jab in the championship rounds would've gave him the fight. I saw quit in his eyes twice lastnite. That's where he could lose to Berto unless he really hurts him early. Floyd would toy with Clottey. Clottey's boxing skills are superior to most at 147 but that heart aint there when he needs to get beastly. I would also pick Shane to beat Clottey.
Keith
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 14 2009, 05:14 PM) *

just like you thought clottey would beat cotto?
D-MARV
Clottey destroys Berto.

Berto knows this.
JLUVBABY
i didnt think clottey won the fight last night.. i didnt score the fight but just by watching what was going on i feel cotto deserved the decision... it was close and the flash kd was the clincher maybe but cotto pulled the fight out... it was on a hair but he did what he needed to do to win... my thing is this clottey didnt seem to have that 3rd gear in him to finish the job.. had he had a overdrive gear he would have won.. maybe even by stoppage... cotto looked like damaged goods last night and clottey couldnt capatalize... i picked clottey to win but i cant say he did...
King Eugene
Clottey couldn't stop chinny Judah or Corales and he couldn't take Cotto out when he had the chance(not an easy task but still couldn't do it). Clottey will be the measuring stick for WW's for now on out. He may get a couple more solid wins under his belt but when it counts the most it wont pull it out. Thats going to be the story of his career.

As for Berto...if he makes it past the first 6 rounds he'll get the decision. Clottey head butts so best believe after about two Berto will punch and hold.
The Original MrFactor
I actually think we'll get Mosley/Clottey next. I think Clottey mows down little Berto. Clottey doesnt have great power, but i see him stopping Berto. Berto would be better at 140, IF he could make weight. Problem is, he put on too much muscle and cant make 140. he will get creamed by most or all of the bigger WW's. Clottey would absolutely clobber Berto.
Keith
i have read a bunch on here from various people that cotto is no longer the fighter he was pre margs. so if cotto is a diminished fighter and clottey couldnt take him out... what makes everyone so sure he rolls over berto. berto has his own issues, but if clottey plays earmuffs and allows berto to get of his fast hands (even if they are being blocked) he could make berto look real good. coupled with the way berto holds, berto could get off + hold, get off +hold all night. just a thought.
Douchebag
The more I think about this match up the more it favors Berto. Hear me out..................The way to beat Clottey and look good doing it is to make it rough fight Hatton style. No doubt Clottey is big and durable but he has the tendancy to bitch up when things get a little rough for him as evidenced in the Cotto fight. If Berto makes it that kind of fight and makes it a point to be the aggressor the whole night, he wins a UD. If tries to make it a boxing match he probably gets stopped.
Keith
conscience, i think you and i are seeing the same thing in this matchup. i dont think clottey gets to throw enough punches to look good against bertos clutching and grabbing.
salvador
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 14 2009, 05:27 PM) *
just like you thought clottey would beat cotto?

Again, which 3 of the 4 close rounds (3,4,10,11) did Cotto win? Because if he didn't win 3 of those, then Cotto lost that fight.

Keith
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 16 2009, 03:36 PM) *
Again, which 3 of the 4 close rounds (3,4,10,11) did Cotto win? Because if he didn't win 3 of those, then Cotto lost that fight.

1,6,11,12 are definates. i would also include 5 and 9 as close rounds. but i would give him rd 4 and 10. but the truth is it doesnt matter what 6 rds i give him, you believe clottey won and i respect that. as i have said before, 7-5 clottey would not terribly upset me.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Clottey pretty much beats Cotto, and we're questioning whether he should be able to face Andre Berto. The same Andre Berto who just faced A 140 POUND CHAMP in Urango, and held him like he was a heavyweight. The same Andre Berto who pretty much got beat to Louie Collazo. Shit, I say let Berto face Collazo again before he gets anywhere near Clottey. Clottey has had close fights with two of the best welterweights in the last couple years. Berto wouldn't pressure Clottey, he'd be running, then he'd hold Clottey every time he'd get close. Clottey would manhandle that kid, and possibly stop him. I agree with that part that it'd be a good fight to see who gets back into the mix. However, doesn't Berto hold a belt? Maybe the belt could get Clottey some fights.
Douchebag
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 16 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Clottey pretty much beats Cotto, and we're questioning whether he should be able to face Andre Berto. The same Andre Berto who just faced A 140 POUND CHAMP in Urango, and held him like he was a heavyweight. The same Andre Berto who pretty much got beat to Louie Collazo. Shit, I say let Berto face Collazo again before he gets anywhere near Clottey. Clottey has had close fights with two of the best welterweights in the last couple years. Berto wouldn't pressure Clottey, he'd be running, then he'd hold Clottey every time he'd get close. Clottey would manhandle that kid, and possibly stop him. I agree with that part that it'd be a good fight to see who gets back into the mix. However, doesn't Berto hold a belt? Maybe the belt could get Clottey some fights.

Clottey doensn't like to get roughed up. If anybody goes in with the intent to make it an ugly fight with him they have a chance of beating him. Cotto would have had much easier time with Clottey had he just gone out there and tried to Maul him, in fact the rounds that Cotto won convincingly, thats exactly what he did. Clottey would lose focus in that type fight and Berto as flawed as he is COULD incorporate that game plan.
Keith
everyone likes to point out bertos shortcomings. i dont like the way he fights. but i find it kind of funny that so many people fail to see clotteys shortcomings. solid fighter. he has no exceptional qualities, he doesnt grab your attention and say "hey look at how good i am". his offensive game is flawed. he does not throw more punches then his opponent nor does he have one punch power. he doesnt finish fights. he could look really bad against berto because he has the speed to get off and impress the judges. it doesnt mean berto actually ever hurts clottey, but i think he could build a lead on the scorecard and slow clottey down with his mma style clutching and grabbing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.