Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ARE YOU FRIGGIN' KIDDING ME?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Romulus9
Rib injury.

per ESPN Alert on my cell.
Byrd Man
*Mayweather Voice* I could totally beat him with three rib injuries, but I don't want to make him feel bad. I mean he's already gotta feel bad knowing there's no way he can beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. This guy's not even on my level, I can bring Momma Mayweather in and whip his ass!

Imperius3
Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=4258073

I don't mind the delay as long as both fighters stay in shape.
Box in Hand
I'm a little shocked if this is true. Mayweather guards his body better than anybody. Does this mean he got penetrated in sparring? Did the layoff take its toll? He isn't 22 anymore so I am now more interested in the fight. I wanna see if he lost a step.
kidbazooka1
Also i wonder is this a strategy on Floyds part to put the 35 yr old Marquez on the sidelines for a while longer but then again Floyds been out for almost 2 yrs so it couldn't help him either.

I think box in hand made an interesting observation Floyd might have been getting tagged alot during sparring and felt they needed more time to prepare or he did get hurt. Either way it sucks to see this delayed for Marquez who is the older fighter.
JLUVBABY
im hoping a more meaningful fight is on the table for floyd and he was looking up to par in training so they scratched this fight... i know probably not the case but... that is just wishful thinking but i hope its the case..
STEVENSKI
Very typical from a scumbag like Mayweather. I wish his rib penetrated his lung & collapsed it.
kingknockout
we got the floyd hater's in here before the floyd fans LOL....what type of shit is that lol
provo
This sucks! I was curious to see how floyd would bounce back from his layoff.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Very typical from a scumbag like Mayweather. I wish his rib penetrated his lung & collapsed it.

Damn dude. I never hated any fighter like this, not even Cintron's cry baby ass. You need a role model or Dr. Phil, or a good enema.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 15 2009, 12:11 AM) *
Damn dude. I never hated any fighter like this, not even Cintron's cry baby ass. You need a role model or Dr. Phil, or a good enema.

Dr Phil is a useless tool & I had a nice curry on Saturday so I am sweet on the enema front as a good ruby really clears you out.

It is not like I want PBF dead or anything I just want him hurt. Since he clearly does not want to get in the ring I am happy to settle for one outside the ring. Like a guy breaking his elbow joint with a tyre iron when PBF leaves a strip club.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 06:24 PM) *
Dr Phil is a useless tool & I had a nice curry on Saturday so I am sweet on the enema front as a good ruby really clears you out.

It is not like I want PBF dead or anything I just want him hurt. Since he clearly does not want to get in the ring I am happy to settle for one outside the ring. Like a guy breaking his elbow joint with a tyre iron when PBF leaves a strip club.

LMFAO. Ok, Dr. Phil can't help and you don't want the enema. How about some nice relaxing sounds of the ocean? You need some type of harmony over there cause that is some serious haterfied mud you're flinging.
MarzB
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 14 2009, 06:27 PM) *
LMFAO. Ok, Dr. Phil can't help and you don't want the enema. How about some nice relaxing sounds of the ocean? You need some type of harmony over there cause that is some serious haterfied mud you're flinging.

"She's" hopeless so save your post there. Too bad for the summer of boxing. It looked like a good line up with Haye and then this fight along with the 24/7s in between.
Jack 1000
Could the rib injury really be something else? Like "Moneybags" is afraid of the Mighty Marquez! LOL! Hahaha!! Marquez has gotten in "Gayfeather's head." Floyd may have gotten a look at a fighter in Marquez who gave Manny everything, and said:

"Hummmm, maybe I could get Whitaker to come out of retirement or something."

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jun 14 2009, 06:01 PM) *
we got the floyd hater's in here before the floyd fans LOL....what type of shit is that lol

Wait? "Fraud Gayfeather" has FANS!!!???? laugh.gif To quote a famouse Odd Couple line:

"He came back, nobody cared!"

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jun 15 2009, 12:27 AM) *

Some relaxing sounds would help I think. Not with the hate but just to keep me chilled.
Lil-lightsout
Well somebody does not take it to the body too well with 16 oz. gloves. Sucks the fight was postponed, but shit happens.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 14 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Could the rib injury really be something else? Like "Moneybags" is afraid of the Mighty Marquez! LOL! Hahaha!! Marquez has gotten in "Gayfeather's head." Floyd may have gotten a look at a fighter in Marquez who gave Manny everything, and said:

"Hummmm, maybe I could get Whitaker to come out of retirement or something."

Jack

From the time Marquez starting talking about Mayweather, right after the Diaz fight in February, I told people, "Marquez knows something."

He's seen something, he knows something, whatever. JMM isn't a vocal guy, one who's always calling guys out and running his mouth. He doesn't want PBF for no reason. Now... maybe Floyd knows what Juan knows...

I still take Marquez in an upset, provided Floyd's rib heals before 2011.
torvix2000
Gayweather must be thinkin' "Shucks, I'm gonna get knocked out anyway, I should have picked Pac for more money. I could have waited 1 more day till the result of Pac-Hatton".
thehype
LOL

Some of you guys are reading way too much into this...POOR TICKET SALES is what prompted the postponement.

In fact, don't be suprised if the fight gets scrapped entirely and a new opponent (possibly Mosley) is picked for Mayweather's return.
JD
So best guess who Floyd and Pac fight next?

I have to believe they seriously start looking at just fighting each other...though you know he poor ticket sales is an angle Arum is going to play up when it comes time to negotiate, and that is going to infuriate Floyd.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 14 2009, 07:47 PM) *
LOL

Some of you guys are reading way too much into this...POOR TICKET SALES is what prompted the postponement.

In fact, don't be suprised if the fight gets scrapped entirely and a new opponent (possibly Mosley) is picked for Mayweather's return.

That would be great, I would have hated to see Marquez lose. JMM and PBF seem to need a dancing partner that can generate more acclaim and PBF-Pacquiao would be HOT.
thehype
Actually, I think the fight can be made if they just realize that they both need each other to make the kind of money they're looking for. In fact, if they were wise, they'll figure out a way to make sure the fight is score a draw so they can have a rematch and make even more money.

laugh.gif
torvix2000
This just came up. A source close to GBP said that DLH had a heart to heart talk with JMM. He was able to convince JMM to let Gayweather go.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 15 2009, 12:47 AM) *
LOL

I am confused Hype. How could this PPV superstar moneymaking machine struggle to sell out a arena. He is a crossover superstar recognised by the masses.

This guy did 2.5M PPV buys in his last two fights & grossed 10's of millions.

Unless it is that he is in fact not a draw & his PPV sales reflect his ability to piggyback off genuine crossover stars.............................

salvador
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jun 14 2009, 08:07 PM) *
This just came up. A source close to GBP said that DLH had a heart to heart talk with JMM. He was able to convince JMM to let Gayweather go.

If that's true I'd feel bad for JMM because I'd like to see him get a big paycheck before he retires. That said, I never thought this fight would be a success because Floyd isn't a draw unless he's fighting someone like Hatton or DLH.

torvix2000
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 15 2009, 01:12 AM) *
If that's true I'd feel bad for JMM because I'd like to see him get a big paycheck before he retires. That said, I never thought this fight would be a success because Floyd isn't a draw unless he's fighting someone like Hatton or DLH.

The best thing us fans can do or us haters can do is to flak Gayweather so he pushes through with the Marquez fight after his "ribs" heal.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 08:11 PM) *
I am confused Hype. How could this PPV superstar moneymaking machine struggle to sell out a arena. He is a crossover superstar recognized by the masses.

Unless it is that he is in fact not a draw & his PPV sales reflect his ability to piggyback off genuine crossover stars.............................

I think what it means is that for Floyd to make the kind of money he craves, he has to have a big money name opponent in the other corner: Delahoya, Hatton, and of course now, Pacquiao. What Floyd doesn't understand, is that he is not the superstar all by himself. He needs a big time opponent to make it big.

I think it may be Mayweather-Mosley next. Strong enough for Floyd to make some good money, but Shane is not a vicious puncher so Floyd won't get hurt the way Manny COULD (not necessarily would) hurt Floyd. Floyd has to see some weakness or vulnerability in a guy he knows he can beat before he fights him.

Jack
Byrd Man
Wouldn't it be hilarious if every boxer basically turned their back on Floyd if this whole thing turns out to be true? That he's basically fucking over JMM because the ticket sales weren't good so he's gonna bail, leaving him in the lurch, while Floyd goes after Pac-man or someone else?

I would love to see Floyd calling these dudes out and they're all like "I don't need to fight Floyd, there are plenty of directions we could go"

Leaving Floyd without anyone willing to fight him. You know how he needs the money for his IRS shit.

I'd love for everyone to just refuse to fight him, no matter what the concessions. Let him retire with his 0 and pretend that means something.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 15 2009, 02:00 AM) *
I think what it means is that for Floyd to make the kind of money he craves, he has to have a big money name opponent in the other corner: Delahoya, Hatton, and of course now, Pacquiao. What Floyd doesn't understand, is that he is not the superstar all by himself. He needs a big time opponent to make it big.

I think it may be Mayweather-Mosley next. Strong enough for Floyd to make some good money, but Shane is not a vicious puncher so Floyd won't get hurt the way Manny COULD (not necessarily would) hurt Floyd. Floyd has to see some weakness or vulnerability in a guy he knows he can beat before he fights him.

Jack

I know what it means Jack but the main man PPV superstar should surely be able to sell out a arena fighting a mexican warrior & in his own words the #1 P4P fighter on the planet. If he can't then he may have seriously overestimated his market value.

Possibly HBO realised he is not the draw he pretends to be & are not prepared to pay him $15M for a fight thet he has not sold out the arena. The fact that he did not sell out the arena within days (or hours) translates to projected lower PPV #'s & HBO are not in the business of losing money.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jun 15 2009, 02:08 AM) *
Wouldn't it be hilarious if every boxer basically turned their back on Floyd if this whole thing turns out to be true? That he's basically fucking over JMM because the ticket sales weren't good so he's gonna bail, leaving him in the lurch, while Floyd goes after Pac-man or someone else?

I would love to see Floyd calling these dudes out and they're all like "I don't need to fight Floyd, there are plenty of directions we could go"

Leaving Floyd without anyone willing to fight him. You know how he needs the money for his IRS shit.

I'd love for everyone to just refuse to fight him, no matter what the concessions. Let him retire with his 0 and pretend that means something.

That would be like peaches & cream to me. If he ended up hocking his bling to put food on the table it would be even better.
AussieLad
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 10:56 PM) *

I must say i am disappointed stevenski. I figured you'd want a rib to splinter into the pea sized heart of his
Mean Mister Mustard
My question is this: If indeed the JMM fight is cancelled, does Arum make the Pacquiao-PBF fight or does he bascially give him the finger and decides to make Pacquiao-Cotto instead? After all, he keeps the winner in his stable with the latter fight.
thehype
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 09:11 PM) *
I am confused Hype. How could this PPV superstar moneymaking machine struggle to sell out a arena. He is a crossover superstar recognised by the masses.

laugh.gif

Well...

1) July is notoriously a bad month to stage a major PPV fight in Las Vegas.
2) 11 weeks (May 2-July 18) is a short period of time for Golden Boy Promotions to promote the bout.
3) Ticket prices were priced WAY too high in this poor economy.
4) UFC 100 doesn't help ticket sales at all.
5) OF COURSE he's not a big draw without another genuine crossover star to piggyback off of...but honestly, I don't think anyone is...not even Pacquiao. In fact, the only two real draws in and around the division are De La Hoya and Hatton...and that's why I maintain that a De La Hoya vs. Hatton bout would break the PPV records.

Personally, I think he should change his nickname to Floyd "Keyser Soze" Mayweather. In the movie The Usual Suspects, there's a quote that goes:

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Well, in my opinion, the greatest trick that Mayweather ever pulled was convincing HBO that's he's a PPV superstar.

laugh.gif
traced4040
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 14 2009, 10:27 PM) *
5) OF COURSE he's not a big draw without another genuine crossover star to piggyback off of...but honestly, I don't think anyone is...not even Pacquiao. In fact, the only two real draws in and around the division are De La Hoya and Hatton...and that's why I maintain that a De La Hoya vs. Hatton bout would break the PPV records.

its true

hatton and DLH was the last great PPV draws, hatton to a much lesser extent

but after their last performance im not pl will want to see them fight again

Brits are really fickle, i cant believe the crap Hatton was getting in the blogs and news

people where commenting that he was a sham

thats harsh but it happens with every british loss especially in soccer or cricket

they built they players up to the point where brtis where crying foul that he wasnt favourite on the night then they take them apart after lsoing

its a shame since hatton is a good guy
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 15 2009, 04:27 AM) *
laugh.gif

Well...

1) July is notoriously a bad month to stage a major PPV fight in Las Vegas.
2) 11 weeks (May 2-July 18) is a short period of time for Golden Boy Promotions to promote the bout.
3) Ticket prices were priced WAY too high in this poor economy.
4) UFC 100 doesn't help ticket sales at all.

Personally, I think he should change his nickname to Floyd "Keyser Soze" Mayweather. In the movie The Usual Suspects, there's a quote that goes:

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Well, in my opinion, the greatest trick that Mayweather ever pulled was convincing HBO that's he's a PPV superstar.

laugh.gif

The funny thing is that Griffin vs Jackson was the #6 PPV in 2008 & that was in July. Your points are more than valid though.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jun 14 2009, 06:56 PM) *

You're hilarious!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 14 2009, 08:47 PM) *
LOL

Poor ticket sales and the fact that Cotto just jumped to the front of the line to land the Pacquiao fight.
JonnyBlaze
Mayweather is going to keep postponing the fight and is going to have a different injury each time but the main reason will be the ticket sales..He needs to face to facts..He has a fan base but it is not a big one..Finally he sees that he doesn't sell tickets like he thinks he does..hahahaha..I wish that dude on ESPN can do another interview with him and ask him why the ticket sales were low..I bet Leon has Floyd's balls in his mouth trying to make it sound legit since that's the only guy he can have come in to do chats..Fuck em..
STEVENSKI
Kenny should crucify Floyd. I do mean literally as in I would love to hammer those nails in.
salvador
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 14 2009, 10:27 PM) *

You know, when everyone was saying he was guaranteed $15MM for this fight I knew it couldn't be true. The truth is that Floyd is boring even when he fights superstars.

I wish I knew the specifics, but his fight with Sharmba Mitchell was supposed to feature an entrance by Floyd that was going to be "off the hook" but the entrance got cancelled. I think I remember hearing that it got cancelled because it would have looked rediculous in an arena that wasn't even half way full.
Method
JD echoed my initial sentiment perfectly upon hearing the news - This would give Paq/Arum a lot of leverage if/when they ever get to the bargaining table.
thehype
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 15 2009, 09:13 AM) *
You know, when everyone was saying he was guaranteed $15MM for this fight I knew it couldn't be true.

But it IS true. In fact, he was probably going to get more depending on the PPV sales.

HBO and GBP GREATLY overestimated Mayweather's value. They made their decision without considering all of the other variables in the equation. They assumed the success of Mayweather-DLH and Mayweather-Hatton meant Mayweather had crossed over, but the reality is that he hasn't.

Mayweather has decided to play the part of the bad guy and as such, he needs a dance partner that people believe has a chance to beat him. Those lofty numbers were mainly due to the fact that people were under the impression that those two guys (De La Hoya and Hatton) had a shot at being the first to beat Floyd.

When you decide to play the role of the bad guy, it's very difficult to become a crossover star simply because you're not liked. Manny Pacquiao will be a more successful crossover star because he's a nice guy and that will translate into better sales no matter the opponent. Mayweather, on the other hand, will have a much more difficult time being a crossover star because people don't like him. If HBO and GBP would have watched Dancing With The Stars, they could have come to that conclusion pretty quickly. I mean, Floyd was voted off in week 4...he was voted off BEFORE all of the following:

Mark Cuban
Sabrina Bryan
Jane Seymour
Cameron Mathison
Jennie Garth
Marie Osmond
Mel B
Hélio Castroneves

Don't get me wrong, it's a dance competition and all, but for the most part, it's a popularity contest...whoever has the bigger fan base will stay on the show regardless of how good or bad you dance. If that's not true, there's no way that Emmit Smith would have beat Mario Lopez...there's no way that Billy Ray Cyrus, Jerry Springer or Cloris Leachman would have been on the show as long as they were.

I mean, the guy got voted off before a freakin Cheetah Girl...a CHEETAH GIRL!!!! That's all they needed to know to realize that he didn't have a big fan base.

On a side note, speaking of Dancing With The Stars, I heard a rumor that Shane Mosley may actually appear on the next season...but that's a different story.

The only time people are going to want to see Floyd fight is when they think someone can beat him. The public has deemed Marquez, a guy who last fought at lightweight, as not being one of those guys.

Don't be surprised if they decide to scrap the fight entirely and replace Marquez with a different opponent.
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 15 2009, 11:03 AM) *
HBO and GBP GREATLY overestimated Mayweather's value. They made their decision without considering all of the other variables in the equation. They assumed the success of Mayweather-DLH and Mayweather-Hatton meant Mayweather had crossed over, but the reality is that he hasn't.
If HBO and GBP would have watched Dancing With The Stars, they could have come to that conclusion pretty quickly. I mean, Floyd was voted off in week 4...he was voted off BEFORE all of the following:

Mark Cuban
Sabrina Bryan
Jane Seymour
Cameron Mathison
Jennie Garth
Marie Osmond
Mel B
Hélio Castroneves

Don't get me wrong, it's a dance competition and all, but for the most part, it's a popularity contest...whoever has the bigger fan base will stay on the show regardless of how good or bad you dance. If that's not true, there's no way that Emmit Smith would have beat Mario Lopez...there's no way that Billy Ray Cyrus, Jerry Springer or Cloris Leachman would have been on the show as long as they were.

I mean, the guy got voted off before a freakin Cheetah Girl...a CHEETAH GIRL!!!! That's all they needed to know to realize that he didn't have a big fan base.

Two thing here - FIRST, he got voted off before D lister Steve-O, who had two left feet (yes, my lady watches the show and as much as I try and stay out of the bedroom when she's watching ALL of her weak shit, sometimes I'm too tired and have to pass out to some of this shit).

Two - It's really hard for me to fathom how we can estimate Floyd's LACK of Value, but HBO and GBP would completely OVERESTIMATE it.
Romulus9
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 15 2009, 11:03 AM) *
Don't be surprised if they decide to scrap the fight entirely and replace Marquez with a different opponent.

Mosley.

Make the fight with Mosley.

Floyd will see the necessity of the fight. Shane won't have to go to a catchweight for it. PPV and ticket sales would be far better with Shane.

After the layoff, Shane wins. Because Floyd loses, we all win.

Marquez ends up with a Pacquiao fight after Pac fights Cotto.

Make it happen.
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Jun 15 2009, 11:09 AM) *
Two thing here - FIRST, he got voted off before D lister Steve-O, who had two left feet (yes, my lady watches the show and as much as I try and stay out of the bedroom when she's watching ALL of her weak shit, sometimes I'm too tired and have to pass out to some of this shit).

Two - It's really hard for me to fathom how we can estimate Floyd's LACK of Value, but HBO and GBP would completely OVERESTIMATE it.

laugh.gif

Steve-O was on a totally different season...but yeah, he did get voted off in a week prior to the week Steve-O got voted off on.

As for HBO and GBP, is it really that hard to fathom though? It's not like they haven't made questionable decisions in the past (Calzaghe vs. Jones or Barrera vs. Fana on PPV??? How about the great contract that Roy signed with them????). I mean, just look at how they priced the tickets for that fight. $1000 for ringside seats...$150 for the cheapest seats????? You can only get away with those prices for a De La Hoya or Hatton fight...that's it. You're talking about a network and a promotional company who's DYING to find a replacement for De La Hoya. They're willing to pay the guy upwards of $15 million and he hasn't fought since 2007...I think that says it all. Don't get me wrong, if this were any other industry, I think it would be very hard to believe, but this is boxing bro...we're talking about business men who kick back, smoke weed and take suggestions from website owners. You know what I mean?

laugh.gif
Romulus9
How can I get a free Golden Boy Promotions t-shirt?
Jack 1000

What a great quote! This says it all!

Since Mayweather's "fan base" seems to be maybe about 10 people, I think that because the majority of people (myself included) despise the guy so much, that the only reason that they would want to see him come back is to get KTFO just to shut him up. Just to see him lose. Floyd's #1 in ONLY one category right now, and that is the boxer that everyone wants to see his head knocked off and served on a platter to Manny Pacquiao! Oh what a great thought! He's the dude the world loves to hate.

People are tired of his jive talk and bullshit. I mean seriously, should the boxing world really be surprised that he pulled out of this fight?

Jack
Spyder
Jack breaking out the "jive" talk reference...straight from 1976! laugh.gif
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 15 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Jack breaking out the "jive" talk reference...straight from 1976! laugh.gif

Hahahahaha!

Yea, that's the era where I grew up!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.