Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doesn't it Seem Like the Writing is on the Wall?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JD
So in a period of days:

-Joshua Clottey loses to Miguel Cotto.
-Floyd Mayweather cancels his fight with Juan Manuel Marquez citing a rib injury, but ticket sales as the issue is more than just a rumor.
-Bob Arum says he wants to seal the Pacquiao - Cotto deal before the end of the week in a clear negotiation ploy.
-Bob Arum than comes out and says he will accept 50 / 50 for a Pacquiao - Mayweather fight.

Doesn't it just seem like everything is pointing toward this fight happening sooner rather than later?

I think this fight gets done for this year.
salvador
Why would Arum assume that Pac-Floyd would be bigger than Pac-Cotto? Cause I feel confident that there wouldn't be any trouble selling tickets to Pac-Cotto and Arum pockets all the loot - and maybe, just maybe there's a rematch.

If the fight was really cancelled due to poor ticket sales, then there shouldn't be any question as to whether or not Pac should get the long end of the stick. Not to mention, Pac probably beats Cotto whereas Pac has virtually no chance against Floyd. And if Floyd really is such a draw, then the winner of Cotto-Pac fights Floyd and Arum is involved in two megafights, one in which he gets to keep 100% of the promoter dollars.

D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 15 2009, 07:38 PM) *
So in a period of days:

-Joshua Clottey loses to Miguel Cotto.
-Floyd Mayweather cancels his fight with Juan Manuel Marquez citing a rib injury, but ticket sales as the issue is more than just a rumor.
-Bob Arum says he wants to seal the Pacquiao - Cotto deal before the end of the week in a clear negotiation ploy.
-Bob Arum than comes out and says he will accept 50 / 50 for a Pacquiao - Mayweather fight.

Doesn't it just seem like everything is pointing toward this fight happening sooner rather than later?

If Floyd rejects 50/50 then he isn't going to get the fight.
maac
QUOTE (salvador @ Jun 15 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Why would Arum assume that Pac-Floyd would be bigger than Pac-Cotto? Cause I feel confident that there wouldn't be any trouble selling tickets to Pac-Cotto and Arum pockets all the loot - and maybe, just maybe there's a rematch.

If the fight was really cancelled due to poor ticket sales, then there shouldn't be any question as to whether or not Pac should get the long end of the stick. Not to mention, Pac probably beats Cotto WHEREAS Pac has virtually no chance against Floyd. And if Floyd really is such a draw, then the winner of Cotto-Pac fights Floyd and Arum is involved in two megafights, one in which he gets to keep 100% of the promoter dollars.

What is the support to this comment? stylistically it's plausible, defense
there is no comparison, but there are other factors, imponderables
that can incline the balance: explosivenness, heart, power, even speed.
And mainly, it's boxing.
I admit however that the favorite would have to be, not by much, Mayweather.
STEVENSKI
based on ticket sales Arum should offer Floyd 30/70 & have the fight in General Santos City at midday on Sunday.
JLUVBABY
if 50/50 is really on the table floyd had better take it and assuming he wins make the options for the rematch... this is the fight...
traced4040
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 15 2009, 06:55 PM) *
If Floyd rejects 50/50 then he isn't going to get the fight.

if floyd rejects any deal with pacquiao then could he possibly got o jail for tax evasion?

i keep hearing the IRS are breating down his neck and he himslef he does have issues (he said he just likes to pay slowly)

its concievable that the fight was cancled for ticket sales reason

but they were well into a promotional tour which would have cost a lot of money

and i read that the 24/7 is paid in part by promoters

with PBF being one of the promoters, does that mean he's lost money right now and that he needs to make up for it with a Pac fight?
Method

If the fight was really cancelled due to poor ticket sales, then there shouldn't be any question as to whether or not Pac should get the long end of the stick. Not to mention, Pac probably beats Cotto whereas Pac has virtually no chance against Floy

Agreed. If I were Arum, I'd make Floyd grovel. Floyd deserves not a cent more than 40%.
thehype
QUOTE (JD @ Jun 15 2009, 07:38 PM) *

Nah. I don't think so.
Jack 1000
After Arum said some stuff Cotto-Clottey post-fight about Mayweather not taking challenges against opponents who might beat him, and Floyd being afraid to fight punchers because his ego can't afford to see that 0 go, and given the conflicts of Mayweather and Arum in the past, I don't think we will see Pacquiao-Mayweather anytime soon.

The typical Mayweather scenario would be for Pacquiao to lose to Cotto. THAN, after Floyd sees a chanpion or former champion with a loss or vulnerability, (Cotto beats Manny,) Floyd will fight Manny.

I total disagree that Manny has no chance against Floyd. It is possible that Floyd could do a typical box and stay away from Manny's power winning 8-4. But Manny could put pressure on Floyd that Floyd would HATE. The worst kind of pressure since Castillo I. Plus, Floyd is getting older and we don't know how good his reflexes may be when he comes back.

IN FACT, IF ANYONE COULD HAVE AN OUTSIDE SHOT OF STOPPING MAYWEATHER, IT IS PACQUIAO! It all depends on what happens if Floyd has to brawl and Manny starts hurting him. If Floyd can stay on the outside, he wins. If Floyd gets into a brawl situation and doesn't like it in there, Manny can win this. I will shed tears of joy if that happens!

Arum doesn't want Floyd. Manny Pacquiao doesn't need Floyd Mayweather. Floyd Mayweather needs Manny Pacquiao. Arum wants Pacquaio-Cotto, which will be guaranteed fireworks. Mayweather-Pacquiao will only be fireworks if Floyd is forced to brawl.

Sure the writing's on the wall. But it's for Pacquiao-Cotto from Arum's promotional standpoint. Who needs Floyd? Let the other boxers who are willing, ready, and able to fight good action fights duke it out. We have Floyd who is not only hated as a person by most, but it's not fair to other fighters who are willing to step up to the plate and take risks, while Floyd waits to find vulnerabilities in an opponent and than fight him.

Let's see Floyd fight someone with a punch who can hurt him instead of this "Most Money", "Least resistance" shit. I doubt it will ever happen. We will be lucky to get Mayweather-Mosley.

Jack
True-Boxing-Fan
I truly hope his rib injury is legit and I hope they reschedule this fight. There is no way PBF will get parity with Pac if they ever fight, nor does he deserve it, especially after this fiasco. PBF is not a PPV draw outside the hardcore boxing world, which in America will get you only about 200,000 buys for a $55 fight. That's my opinion anyway.
EirbinX
boy am i happy i join the mayweather hate wagon to tell his fans.....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.