Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOSLEY vs CLOTTEY
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sugar Q
With all the plans basically laid out Shane has 2 very good options:

1) Go for the undefeated Bertos and his title and use that to leverage a mega fight

2) A fight with Clottey for the vacant tile

A convincing win over Clottey would definitely make Shane the man to beat at 147 and with their styles would probably be the sleeper fight of the year. There would be no way around fighting Shane Mosley. For all that wanna bring up Williams, don't do it. Mosley doesn't need a fight with Williams at this stage of his career. Age and experience has made Shane a smart man. I bet he regrets the Winky fights. I see Shane soundly beating Clottey but Clottey would provide a stiff test. What do you guys think?
Box in Hand
He has no choice but to fight Berto cause no one wants to see Clottey's boring ass. Shane doesn't put asses in seats so him and Clottey is not going to work. Berto's not a househould name either so that would only be for bragging rights and a title (Berto's undefeated record looks good on Shanes resume).
provo
FUCK SHANE!LOL I think he'll have problems with berto ! And clottey...

Douchebag
Shane should fight Berto. Clottey reminds me a lot Winky and we know what happened to Shane in those fights.
WolfishPromistah
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 19 2009, 01:47 PM) *
Shane should fight Berto. Clottey reminds me a lot Winky and we know what happened to Shane in those fights.

We also "know" Shane was fighting Winky at higher weight. And from what I have seen, for Shane, Winky might have been harder to push around than Clottey would be, too. Shane's power is on par with Cotto's, and he's always had a decent and rough inside game when needed, but now only add that with his new found tricks under Nazeem. I would like to encourage Clottey to bring that style fight to Shane; I believe Shane will dust him off if Clottey does.
Keith
I am not sure why Clottey deserves a shot at Mosley. Clottey does fight similar to Wright but the differnce is Wright was taller and has a longer jab. That would be reversed against Clottey. Shane would be able to get his distance better and stab Clottey in the heart with jabs to the midsection when he plays earmuffs. But like I said, I still dont understand why Clottey deserves to fight Shane. I guess thats how bad it is right now.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2009, 08:05 PM) *
A win over Clottey wouldn't make Shane the man to beat. Clottey only had a loss to Margarito, and beating Corrales and Judah doesn't make him one of the guys at 147. The guys were Margarito, Cotto and Mayweather (though Mayweather you must rule out, as he hasn't fought a true welter). Cotto beat Mosley, then Margarito beat Cotto and Mosley beat Margarito. To me, Mosley is already the man to beat at welter.

But Fitz Clottey has controversial losses to Cotto and Maragrito. If Shane soundly beats Clottey that takes Clottey out of the equation (that includes Clottey/Cotto 2 and Clottey/Margarito 2). Shane still has that controversial loss to Cotto. If Cotto beats Pacquiao there would be no place else for him to go but Shane or PBF especially if GB wises up and makes Mosley/Clottey then Mosley/Bertos. Either PBF or the Cotto/Pacquiao winner would have no choice but to face Shane. Shane has to stay busy.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 19 2009, 08:24 PM) *
But Fitz Clottey has controversial losses to Cotto and Maragrito. If Shane soundly beats Clottey that takes Clottey out of the equation (that includes Clottey/Cotto 2 and Clottey/Margarito 2). Shane still has that controversial loss to Cotto. If Cotto beats Pacquiao there would be no place else for him to go but Shane or PBF especially if GB wises up and makes Mosley/Clottey then Mosley/Bertos. Either PBF or the Cotto/Pacquiao winner would have no choice but to face Shane. Shane has to stay busy.

There was nothing controversial about Clottey's loss to Margarito. Clottey faded and he tried to use his hands as an excuse. Clottey has a lot of bitch in him. His toughness is overrated.
kingknockout
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 19 2009, 01:47 PM) *

laugh.gif yep....but the thing about clottey is....he doesnt jump on that ass when its time too....he hesitates too much...and thats dangerous against mosley
Keith
I am so tired of hearing about the controversial loss to Cotto or Margarito for that matter. He lost because he does nothing exceptionally well except put his gloves in front of his face. It's possible that Clottey could give Mosley are tough fight but since when does a guy lose a title fight and then get a bigger title fight immediatley afterward.

This is absolute shenanigans!
kingknockout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2009, 08:05 PM) *
A win over Clottey wouldn't make Shane the man to beat. Clottey only had a loss to Margarito, and beating Corrales and Judah doesn't make him one of the guys at 147. The guys were Margarito, Cotto and Mayweather (though Mayweather you must rule out, as he hasn't fought a true welter). Cotto beat Mosley, then Margarito beat Cotto and Mosley beat Margarito. To me, Mosley is already the man to beat at welter.

which by the way is debatable
kingknockout
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 19 2009, 08:46 PM) *
I am so tired of hearing about the controversial loss to Cotto or Margarito for that matter. He lost because he does nothing exceptionally well except put his gloves in front of his face. It's possible that Clottey could give Mosley are tough fight but since when does a guy lose a title fight and then get a bigger title fight immediatley afterward.

clottey beat margarito...i dont care what u say...and he won that cotto fight too
Keith
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jun 19 2009, 08:48 PM) *
clottey beat margarito...i dont care what u say...and he won that cotto fight too

You dont have to care what I say. His official record is all that really matters.
Fitz
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 20 2009, 10:24 AM) *
But Fitz Clottey has controversial losses to Cotto and Maragrito.

What was controversial about Clottey 'breaking/injuring' his hand and not winning enough rounds? Did Margarito jump on his hand and the referee turned a blind eye?

QUOTE (kingknockout @ Jun 20 2009, 10:47 AM) *
which by the way is debatable

Which would make my point even stronger if you feel this way. If in fact you do think he beat Cotto (which I didn't) and Margarito, doesn't that just prove my point even further that he is already the man to beat?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 19 2009, 08:46 PM) *

Since Zab Judah that's who! LOL. But yeah Keith I hear what you're saying.

Also KingKnockout no way did Clottey beat Margarito. I'm hardly a Marg fan but he clearly won that fight.
King Eugene
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 19 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Since Zab Judah that's who! LOL. But yeah Keith I hear what you're saying.

Also KingKnockout no way did Clottey beat Margarito. I'm hardly a Marg fan but he clearly won that fight.

Zab Judah was a fighter sent from heaven...but stopped on Earth on his way to hell. LOL
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 19 2009, 09:00 PM) *
What was controversial about Clottey 'breaking/injuring' his hand and not winning enough rounds? Did Margarito jump on his hand and the referee turned a blind eye?

Which would make my point even stronger if you feel this way. If in fact you do think he beat Cotto (which I didn't) and Margarito, doesn't that just prove my point even further that he is already the man to beat?

Clottey lacks killer instinct and makes too many excuses but he was whipping on Margarito's ass before he hurt his hand. He was soundly whippin that ass you gotta give it up but Margarito and Cotto are some tough dudes. You cant stop punching or their coming for you and that's what happen but no one yet has soundly beaten Clottey. He had both fights clearly won and wilted which makes him a formidable foe until somebody soundly beats him. A solid win over Clottey is a good thing because many think he won against Cotto. Many wanna see Clottey/Cotto 2. I'm not clamoring for it but many are.
Fitz
So him whipping Margarito early but giving away the second half of the fight and losing is controversial? There was nothing controversial about that fight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 20 2009, 01:17 AM) *
So him whipping Margarito early but giving away the second half of the fight and losing is controversial? There was nothing controversial about that fight.

Agreed Fitz I see it the same way as you. I've seen plenty of fighters break their hands before during a fight and gut out a win. To me it shows a little bit about Clottey's mentality. If things don't go perfectly for him he wilts. You also saw it in the fight with Cotto, I thought he played that throwing down incident for all it was worth as well as the punch behind the head. Sure it wasn't a good look for Cotto but Clottey really tried his best to milk a point or two in that fight.

Cotto on the hand fought through a hellacious cut without any complaints and even managed a wink to his corner when it first happened. I'm still not sold on the long terms prospects of Cotto as a fighter but I have to give him his dues, mentality wise he's got a bit of James Toney/Erik Morales about him.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 19 2009, 07:34 PM) *
There was nothing controversial about Clottey's loss to Margarito. Clottey faded and he tried to use his hands as an excuse. Clottey has a lot of bitch in him. His toughness is overrated.

Bitch is a strong word for it but Clottey definitely lacks that something extra that top fighters all have. He'd rather not dig deep and blame others for his losses than do whatever it takes to make sure he wins. And no, there was nothing controversial about his loss to Margarito. He dominated the first four rounds and then got overtaken by a tougher dude who wanted it more than him.

I don't think Mosley has anything to gain by fighting Clottey. A fight with Berto makes much more sense for him while he waits for the bigger fish. Shane would very likely get the W against Clottey but also very likely not look that impressive and see his stock drop. Shane just can't afford for that happen at this point. If he fights and beats Berto he picks up another belt (for whatever that's worth) and more than likely looks spectacular doing it - also taking another man's 0 in the process for additional bragging rights.
D-MARV
Bitch is a strong word for it but Clottey definitely lacks that something extra that top fighters all have. He'd rather not dig deep and blame others for his losses than do whatever it takes to make sure he wins. And no, there was nothing controversial about his loss to Margarito. He dominated the first four rounds and then got overtaken by a tougher dude who wanted it more than him.

I don't think Mosley has anything to gain by fighting Clottey. A fight with Berto makes much more sense for him while he waits for the bigger fish. Shane would very likely get the W against Clottey but also very likely not look that impressive and see his stock drop. Shane just can't afford for that happen at this point. If he fights and beats Berto he picks up another belt (for whatever that's worth) and more than likely looks spectacular doing it - also taking another man's 0 in the process for additional bragging rights.

"You're right! Bitch is a strong word. But Clottey has a world of potential but I don't think he has the heart. He sounds good when he goes around calling out all these fighters but he ain't fooling me. He has an excuse everytime something goes wrong. In the Cotto fight, he was looking for a way out. That so called Knee injury was worst then Bernard's low blow act against Calzaghe. Then later in the fight he got tapped in the back of his head and he went down to both knees. LMAO.

Then go back and watch the Corrales fight. At the very end of the fight, Clottey collapsed in the center of the ring as if he just fought world war 3 or something. It was a 10 round fight against a guy he should have had out of there within 5.

I say let Clottey and Cintron fight it out at 154. "BATTLE OF THE DIVAS"
Sugar Q
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 20 2009, 01:50 AM) *
Agreed Fitz I see it the same way as you. I've seen plenty of fighters break their hands before during a fight and gut out a win. To me it shows a little bit about Clottey's mentality. If things don't go perfectly for him he wilts. You also saw it in the fight with Cotto, I thought he played that throwing down incident for all it was worth as well as the punch behind the head. Sure it wasn't a good look for Cotto but Clottey really tried his best to milk a point or two in that fight.

Cotto on the hand fought through a hellacious cut without any complaints and even managed a wink to his corner when it first happened. I'm still not sold on the long terms prospects of Cotto as a fighter but I have to give him his dues, mentality wise he's got a bit of James Toney/Erik Morales about him.

Gotta agree with you Ollie. I call myself trying to see the bright side of Clottey but I know that a true champion always finds a way to win. The Margarito fight was close though. I felt it could've went either way but I also feel that Clottey didn't deserve the win against Cotto. There's really no excuse for Clottey.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 20 2009, 11:37 AM) *
Gotta agree with you Ollie. I call myself trying to see the bright side of Clottey but I know that a true champion always finds a way to win. The Margarito fight was close though. I felt it could've went either way but I also feel that Clottey didn't deserve the win against Cotto. There's really no excuse for Clottey.

I agree with you guys, Clottey lacks that extra something and he looks for excuses. Keep in mind that just because he may lack that spark that makes others great, doesn't mean he sucks. I mean he arguably beat Cotto. Fight could have gone either way. It's just that at the moment he doesn't appear to be a top 10 elite guy. Certainly he's an elite fighter in the welterweight division.

You know what though? He's still relatively young, he's skilled, has handspeed, accuracy and a defence that not a lot of guys will be able to figure out. He might be the Winky Wright of the 147 pounders. Remember Wright, he had some close decisions go against him but ultimately he had his shot and took it.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 20 2009, 11:53 AM) *
I agree with you guys, Clottey lacks that extra something and he looks for excuses. Keep in mind that just because he may lack that spark that makes others great, doesn't mean he sucks. I mean he arguably beat Cotto. Fight could have gone either way. It's just that at the moment he doesn't appear to be a top 10 elite guy. Certainly he's an elite fighter in the welterweight division.

You know what though? He's still relatively young, he's skilled, has handspeed, accuracy and a defence that not a lot of guys will be able to figure out. He might be the Winky Wright of the 147 pounders. Remember Wright, he had some close decisions go against him but ultimately he had his shot and took it.

I don't think he has the heart Winky does.

But, we'll see. Clottey has all the tools except the mental one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.