Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 52 Blocks
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/fashion/...tness.html?_r=1

This incorporates boxing so I thought it'd fit into the Boxing Section, but if not, go ahead and move it mods.

Has anyone heard of this style? What do ya'll think of it? Discuss.
King Eugene
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Jun 19 2009, 10:11 PM) *
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/fashion/...tness.html?_r=1

This incorporates boxing so I thought it'd fit into the Boxing Section, but if not, go ahead and move it mods.

Has anyone heard of this style? What do ya'll think of it? Discuss.

Looks like some Zab Judah type shit.
Fitz
I didn't mind that and to me looked pretty cool. Really close inside fighting.
Spyder
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 19 2009, 10:19 PM) *

laugh.gif

Funny you should say that...

Box in Hand
52 Blocks is a style created by the Buffalo Soldiers and was passed on to the Philipinos back in the days. It is also a style used in prison and is very popular on the East Coast. The object is to confuse the opponent and the prisoners often use razors in their hands to cut everything from the head down.
E.C.LEGEND
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 19 2009, 09:19 PM) *

he used it during the floyd mayweather fight! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=din0rds-EfI
King Eugene
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Jun 20 2009, 01:34 AM) *

He also used it during the Cory Spinks II fight.
Snoop
QUOTE (E.C.LEGEND @ Jun 20 2009, 06:34 AM) *

LOL. I was about to say that it reminded me of that fight when I first heard about 52 blocks.

Speaking of the Judah/Mayweather fight, when referring to the knockdown Judah should have scored in the 2nd, Merchant said some shit that made absolutely no fucking sense.

"They could have called it a knockdown but I don't know if it would have been a 2 point round and I believe Judah won the round anyways so it doesn't appear that it will influence the scoring."

WTF? If Judah won the round and had the knockdown called, it would have been a 2pt round. Does this fool listen to himself talk?
FightHypeFan
In NTC many of the old school Boxers imitate it but very few understood it. Mike Tyson also used some of the concepts
FightHypeFan
I meant NYC
Spyder
In school we used to call that slap boxing.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 20 2009, 07:38 PM) *
In school we used to call that slap boxing.

No shit, right? It's cool if you can incorporated but it won't work for everybody.
The Original MrFactor
I've seen many slapboxers use this technique. Its to deceive. In fact I worked on some counter techniques in aikido on friday. Its a fast style that you have to be on the lookout for hidden weapns with. In aikido, I'd step back until he makes a mistake, then fire in and take him out with what he gives me. Trouble would come if he has a hidden weapon I didnt see. He'd still be broke up, but I'd prolly get sliced on the forearm or something. Point is, I'd live... Not so sure about the other guy...
kingknockout
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jun 19 2009, 10:19 PM) *

dies rofl laugh.gif
Douchebag
It may work in jail or in a streetfight but there is too much wasted movement for someone to fight pro for whole fight with that style.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 22 2009, 04:15 PM) *
It may work in jail or in a streetfight but there is too much wasted movement for someone to fight pro for whole fight with that style.

That wont work against anyone with a little combat training. Thses guys are moving their hands left to right, but right in front of themselves. As soon as they take a forward movement, they become conventional and should be treated as such.
FightHypeFan
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Jun 22 2009, 04:15 PM) *

There is a lot of things that are miss understood.

1) The movement of the hands are to create the illusion of openings . In other words I dictate where you strike.
2) What makes people tired in fights is not moving it's being tense. Fighter who relax don't get as tired even if they move a lot. Look at Ali . 52 blocks focuses more on being relaxed
3) On the foot work isn't traditionally straight in and out. Typically it throws you opents off balance.
4) It's not slap boxing. OK for those who don't understand slap boxing is the original boxing school of the inner city. It's a safer way to practice your techniques with out the fancy gyms and equipment. It used to be way many young inner city kids learned how to fight. BUT 52 blocks is not slap boxing. Slap boxing may be used in the training but most of the strikes are elbows palms and punches.
Fitz
QUOTE (FightHypeFan @ Jun 24 2009, 07:16 AM) *
There is a lot of things that are miss understood.

1) The movement of the hands are to create the illusion of openings . In other words I dictate where you strike.
2) What makes people tired in fights is not moving it's being tense. Fighter who relax don't get as tired even if they move a lot. Look at Ali . 52 blocks focuses more on being relaxed
3) On the foot work isn't traditionally straight in and out. Typically it throws you opents off balance.
4) It's not slap boxing. OK for those who don't understand slap boxing is the original boxing school of the inner city. It's a safer way to practice your techniques with out the fancy gyms and equipment. It used to be way many young inner city kids learned how to fight. BUT 52 blocks is not slap boxing. Slap boxing may be used in the training but most of the strikes are elbows palms and punches.

Don't know much about the history, but that's pretty much what I gathered about the video.
Spyder
QUOTE (FightHypeFan @ Jun 23 2009, 05:16 PM) *

Well, when I was younger I went to inner city schools, and that shit looks identical. Maybe the kids I slap boxed with were just 52 blocks Gandmasters...

Either way, I used to Kostya Tszyu the shit outta them!

laugh.gif
Keith
52 blocks is the wave of the future. I just got back from my real estate agents office. I paid the first 6 months rent on a sweet spot in a strip mall where I will open my new gym. The 52 Blocks is coming to Brooksville FL.
Douchebag
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 23 2009, 09:11 PM) *
52 blocks is the wave of the future. I just got back from my real estate agents office. I paid the first 6 months rent on a sweet spot in a strip mall where I will open my new gym. The 52 Blocks is coming to Brooksville FL.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 23 2009, 06:26 PM) *
Well, when I was younger I went to inner city schools, and that shit looks identical. Maybe the kids I slap boxed with were just 52 blocks Gandmasters...

laugh.gif

I was FIRE back in my junior high days when it came to slapboxing. I mean I literally used to TOY with my one friend who could kick the shit out of me for real back then. I'd always take it easy on him cause I didn't want to make him mad. laugh.gif
ROLL DEEP
It looks like a mixture of boxing and point karate to me.

Either way, in a full contact scenario, I would questions it's credentials.

If it was so good under pressure, you'd see more of it in boxing bouts and MMA fights, but you don't. And please do not give me any of that 'oh, it's too deadly to be used in a sport'. Puuuh-lease.

Pffffft.
FightHypeFan
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 23 2009, 07:26 PM) *

laugh.gif

Well I guess if the only thing you see are slaps then I suppose so. Kostaya Tsyu ? Really? I some how doubt that. Bet hey anyone can get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPA2u1iLNE
Spyder
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jun 24 2009, 04:10 PM) *
I was FIRE back in my junior high days when it came to slapboxing. I mean I literally used to TOY with my one friend who could kick the shit out of me for real back then. I'd always take it easy on him cause I didn't want to make him mad. laugh.gif

One time when I was in third grade, me and my buddy were slap boxing each other...I was tearing his ass up...but when I THOUGHT we were done and I put my guard down, he punched me in the gut...lol...knocked the wind out of me! That son-of-a-bitch! laugh.gif

The big guys were never good slap boxers. They were always too fat and slow to catch you with anything.

QUOTE (FightHypeFan @ Jun 25 2009, 12:45 AM) *
Well I guess if the only thing you see are slaps then I suppose so. Kostaya Tsyu ? Really? I some how doubt that. Bet hey anyone can get it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpPA2u1iLNE

Hell yeah.

They'd stand in front of me dancing and moving their hands around like they're rolling at a rave...and I'd just smack them with quick, precise slaps....right down the middle. Kinda like this...

laugh.gif
FightHypeFan
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 25 2009, 09:42 AM) *
One time when I was in third grade, me and my buddy were slap boxing each other...I was tearing his ass up...but when I THOUGHT we were done and I put my guard down, he punched me in the gut...lol...knocked the wind out of me! That son-of-a-bitch! laugh.gif

The big guys were never good slap boxers. They were always too fat and slow to catch you with anything.

Hell yeah.

They'd stand in front of me dancing and moving their hands around like they're rolling at a rave...and I'd just smack them with quick, precise slaps....right down the middle. Kinda like this...

laugh.gif

LOL man Zab has ADHD we can't blame him. But anyway flapping the hands and dancing is not 52 blocks. That's just imitators. 52 blocks is more like Suntukan ( Filipino Boxing)

And like 'Keysi Fighting Method'

[

Like I said the style is mostly based on elbows . The guys you see moving their arms a lot are just copying because they seen it at one point and became fans.

ROLL DEEP
HHAHAHAHAHAHA...you didn't mention Keysi's Fighting Method?

I was one of the UK's first instructors of that. I went on one of the first instructors training programs, ran by Justo and Andy, and studied it for around a year or so.

To be honest, it was shit. Typical 'you do that, so I can do this move' type training. We did hardly any sparring and when we did, the guys who were above me were shit. We eventually done a little boxing sparring and I whooped their ass easy. Shit, the instructor had us read fucking booklets and manuels of techniques....I was like 'WTF? Cant we smash pads and spar?' How is reading going to prepare me for a fight, whether it be in the street or in a sport?

Imagine Rampage Jackson or fucking Mike Tyson reading manuels on how to fight in their training camps laugh.gif

Keith
I just got done working out in the garage. I invented a new fighting technique called 4 Seats. Its very practical while driving in 4 seat car. It allows you to smack the shit out of someone while maintaining control of the vehicle. Crazy shit. It consists of reaching and waving you arms in big motions to connect with vicious slaps to peoples faces. To be honest, my mom inspired me when I was a kid. I'd mouth off to her from the back seat and she had this uncanny ability to reach back without looking and... SLAP! She would leave marks. And she never lost control of the car. Fucking amazing shit!
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 25 2009, 07:06 PM) *
I just got done working out in the garage. I invented a new fighting technique called 4 Seats. Its very practical while driving in 4 seat car. It allows you to smack the shit out of someone while maintaining control of the vehicle. Crazy shit. It consists of reaching and waving you arms in big motions to connect with vicious slaps to peoples faces. To be honest, my mom inspired me when I was a kid. I'd mouth off to her from the back seat and she had this uncanny ability to reach back without looking and... SLAP! She would leave marks. And she never lost control of the car. Fucking amazing shit!

LMAO...I think my mom and your mom had the same 4 Seats instructor.
Snoop
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 26 2009, 12:06 AM) *

Chris Brown must be a 4 seat master.
Spyder
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Jun 25 2009, 10:24 PM) *
Chris Brown must be a 4 seat master.

laugh.gif
FightHypeFan
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jun 25 2009, 06:42 PM) *
HHAHAHAHAHAHA...you didn't mention Keysi's Fighting Method?

I was one of the UK's first instructors of that. I went on one of the first instructors training programs, ran by Justo and Andy, and studied it for around a year or so.

To be honest, it was shit. Typical 'you do that, so I can do this move' type training. We did hardly any sparring and when we did, the guys who were above me were shit. We eventually done a little boxing sparring and I whooped their ass easy. Shit, the instructor had us read fucking booklets and manuels of techniques....I was like 'WTF? Cant we smash pads and spar?' How is reading going to prepare me for a fight, whether it be in the street or in a sport?

Imagine Rampage Jackson or fucking Mike Tyson reading manuels on how to fight in their training camps laugh.gif

I only mention it because they use elbows to deflect and get inside. I really don't know enough about KFM to comment on that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.