Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roach wants Cotto
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
D-MARV
http://www.mb.com.ph/node/203885

If the fight will be for Cotto's 147lb title, then the fight should be at 147.

Romulus9
Title or not, Cotto would have to be insane to agree to a fight at 143.
Box in Hand
Again, this goes back to Roach and Pac trying to handicap the larger man. This is crap and I would have zero respect for a Pac win under these circumstances.
D-MARV
Draining people is worst than making the come up.
D-MARV
This is sad. Espeically since Pac fought Oscar at 147.

I expect Pac and Roach to catch some heat for this one.
provo
Pac and roach always do this shit ! Anything for their advantage he fought up a washed up erik morales a old ass barrea and washed up and drained de la hoya,hatton wasn't the same after he got knocked out the first time, and now cotto is showing he's not the same as it is and they want him to drop weight im not surprised ! When will pac fight someone in their prime ! Fight valero ..
D-MARV
If it's a title fight then the limit needs to be 147, not 143. That's just bullshit. This fight may not be made.
rusty_trombone
I'd make Cotto come down also, if he doesn't want to fight, then fuck him. I don't think Pac should be fighting guys his size anyway. Jesus, Pac is a midget compared to that guy.
D-MARV
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 20 2009, 04:17 PM) *
I'd make Cotto come down also, if he doesn't want to fight, then fuck him. I don't think Pac should be fighting guys his size anyway. Jesus, Pac is a midget compared to that guy.

Then why is Pac targeting these guys?

There's plenty of guys out there for Pac to fight. He doesn't need to target these "Bigger" guys, especially if he is making them come down in weight.

Guzman, Soto, Marquez, Bradley, and Campbell would give Manny all he can handle. I guess Manny is all about the dollars now...
Same shit Floyd gets blasted for. LOL
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 20 2009, 03:47 PM) *

There's plenty of guys out there for Pac to fight. He doesn't need to target these "Bigger" guys, especially if he is making them come down in weight.

Guzman, Soto, Marquez, Bradley, and Campbell would give Manny all he can handle. I guess Manny is all about the dollars now...

there seems to be a double standard for pac and floyd...
Mean Mister Mustard
Horrible.

Ok Pac, is no welterweight, so either fight guys in your division or bigger guys in their division. Don't try to drain them. I mean seriously is that their excuse "We're smaller so let's get them as weak as possible in the ring"? Either fight them at 147 or not at all. Disgraceful request.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 20 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Horrible.

Ok Pac, is no welterweight, so either fight guys in your division or bigger guys in their division. Don't try to drain them. I mean seriously is that their excuse "We're smaller so let's get them as weak as possible in the ring"? Either fight them at 147 or not at all. Disgraceful request.

Well said!!!!
provo
I want to see manny fight ,guzman,campbell,bradley or edwin valero! Not have guys drained to fight. I think the fighters I mentioned would give pac trouple cause of their quickness! he avoides good Boxers with skill that move. I want Valero to knock pac out he comes forward and I think will just catch pac and put him on his ass! ....
Keith
Roach is a pussy. Pac is his bitch. A torrid love affair they have. 143 stands for the number of times they rode the hershey highway together.
D-MARV
QUOTE (provo @ Jun 20 2009, 05:48 PM) *
I want to see manny fight ,guzman,campbell,bradley or edwin valero! Not have guys drained to fight. I think the fighters I mentioned would give pac trouple cause of their quickness! he avoides good Boxers with skill that move. I want Valero to knock pac out he comes forward and I think will just catch pac and put him on his ass! ....

Sorry man, Pac would destroy Valero.
Mean Mister Mustard
The problem here, as almost always, is money.

See, Pacquiao may be the biggest name in boxing right now and after fighting in mega fights against DLH and Hatton it seems he and Arum don't want to go back fighting the big challenges for slightly lesser money, which I don't get why. Sure if he fights Valero, Guzman, Campbell, Bradley or even JMM he won't make the same dough as he would against PBF or Cotto but Pacquiao shouldn't be at 147 in the 1st place.

Plus, why can't a Valero or Guzman fight be big? I know I would be hyped to see them and I know you guys would too. So what's the problem? Pac is a big enough name where he can make any fight an event. Not a huge event like a DLH or Tyson fight but about the biggest we have so far.

If he fights those less famous but equally talented lightweights and jr.Welters he would be giving them a shot at the big time, just like Barerra gave one to Pacquiao back in 2003. Is Arum afraid that if Pacquiao loses he will become worthless? We all know that wouldn't happen seeing as how Pacquiao is a god in the Phillipines and one of the most exciting fighters in the world. I doubt that should he lose to Campbell he would have to go back to fighting for peanuts in Manilla. Promoters need to start learning that a loss doesn't end their entire venture. Look at Hatton, he got his ass knocked out against Mayweather and 2 fights later he's back on top landing a megafight against Pacquiao.

Or take Pacquiao himself. He lost to Morales yet roared back to stop him and now almost everyone has forgotten about that fight. Case in point, before Pacquiao's rematches with MAB and JMM a lot of writers asked this question in their pre-fight articles "Can Barerra/Marquez do to Pacquiao what no other Mexican has done before"? LOL!

Tell these guys to put their greed aside and make the best fights possible. This gives a chance to other fighters to make a name for themselves, win or lose.
salvador
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 20 2009, 03:47 PM) *

Two quesions:

1.) You aren't Southeastpaw are you?

2.) I assume you're kidding about the Floyd comparison, aren't you?
Itchybutt
QUOTE (provo @ Jun 20 2009, 03:23 PM) *
Pac and roach always do this shit ! Anything for their advantage he fought up a washed up erik morales a old ass barrea and washed up and drained de la hoya,hatton wasn't the same after he got knocked out the first time, and now cotto is showing he's not the same as it is and they want him to drop weight im not surprised ! When will pac fight someone in their prime ! Fight valero ..
Valero? WTF! What has he done to merit a fight w/ Pac? He has to fight Morales and Barrera because they were the top dogs during that time. He has to beat their ass to prove that he's the best fighter at featherweight. Who do you he should fight? You can't take anything Pac for fighting dela Hoya and retiring him on his stool. He was the bigger man and it was a fight he was expected to win. Now, if he came up in the ring without rehydrating, you should not blame Pac. Hatton was the unbeaten in l40, so why should not Pac fight him at his own turf.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 20 2009, 04:47 PM) *

dollars my friend, dollars. these guys all want to fight pac because it's by far the biggest money fight they can make, so they'll do whatever he says, just like dlh used to make people do.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 20 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Disgraceful request.

damn, you guys are just haters, there is no disgrace in getting paid. if cotto doesn't want to fight @ 143, then he should tell pac to fuck off. i would love to negotiate anything with you guys, making sure you keep your reps up. cotto is a big boy, just like marquez, nobody holds a gun to his head to make him sign the contract.
Fitz
This is getting annoying. Fight at 140 or 147. Just choose one. If you don't want to fight 147 fighters, fine. I will be fine with that and I'm sure most others will to as Manny is not a big welter. He needs to stop piss farting around though. They are trying to create and capitalise on some big weaknesses.

QUOTE (provo @ Jun 21 2009, 05:23 AM) *
When will pac fight someone in their prime ! Fight valero ..

QUOTE (provo @ Jun 21 2009, 07:48 AM) *
I want Valero to knock pac out he comes forward and I think will just catch pac and put him on his ass! ....

Valero is garbage and will eventually get exposed, plus he has fought absolutely nobody to warrant a fight with Pacquiao, he has done absolutely nothing. Pacquiao would smash him to pieces anyways.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 20 2009, 06:03 PM) *
The problem here, as almost always, is money.

See, Pacquiao may be the biggest name in boxing right now and after fighting in mega fights against DLH and Hatton it seems he and Arum don't want to go back fighting the big challenges for slightly lesser money, which I don't get why.

you answered your own question, he wouldn't be fighting for slightly lesser money, he would make alot fucking less money. every million counts my friend, when you have to pay like 15 people before you get your purse. I love it, 2 million is only a little bit of money for the people not making it. think of it like this, 8 million is 20% less than 10million, would you give up 20% of your salary for more work? "yes sir, please give me a much harder task and cut my salary by 20%"
Fitz
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jun 21 2009, 10:38 AM) *
damn, you guys are just haters, there is no disgrace in getting paid. if cotto doesn't want to fight @ 143, then he should tell pac to fuck off. i would love to negotiate anything with you guys, making sure you keep your reps up. cotto is a big boy, just like marquez, nobody holds a gun to his head to make him sign the contract.

Making Cotto drain and lose 4 extra lbs isn't what's getting him paid, he would get paid the same money at 147.
D-MARV
I just heard in a interview that Manny isn't the problem. It's Roach. Manny has said that he would fight Mosley and Cotto at 147. Roach won't let him.
torvix2000
Previously, Mosley said he'd fight Pac "now" at 144. So, what's wrong with a Cotto at 143?
torvix2000
Here's the correct link:

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/207612/roach...ts-cotto-143-lb

Roach said he wants the fight at 143. Will it really be 143? Or 144? Or 145?
Mean Mister Mustard
Rusty, my point is that he woud still be getting paid millions for fighting people at his own weight. Valero is not more danerous than Cotto.

Plus he would be giving these fighters a chance to make a name for themselves just like MAB did with him 6 years ago.

Spyder
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Jun 20 2009, 11:31 PM) *
Rusty, my point is that he woud still be getting paid millions for fighting people at his own weight. Valero is not more danerous than Cotto.

Plus he would be giving these fighters a chance to make a name for themselves just like MAB did with him 6 years ago.

Giving fighters a chance to make a name for themselves? By what...beating him?

laugh.gif

I doubt that Pac is in the "throw my career away for the betterment of the next guy" buisness...and I doubt even more that MAB had that "goal" in mind.

laugh.gif
Sugar Q
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 20 2009, 08:53 PM) *
I just heard in a interview that Manny isn't the problem. It's Roach. Manny has said that he would fight Mosley and Cotto at 147. Roach won't let him.

That's BS Damarv it's Pacquiao too. If he wants this fight it'll happen. He hides behind his team. They wanna handicap dudes and as I was saying he aint no different then Floyd except Floyd never did no shit like this. What P4P fighter in history was full of this much shit?
Sugar Q
[Fitz @ Jun 20,2009, 8:44 PM yesterday]
This is getting annoying. Fight at 140 or 147. Just choose one. If you don't want to fight 147 fighters, fine. I will be fine with that and I'm sure most others will to as Manny is not a big welter. He needs to stop piss farting around though. They are trying to create and capitalise on some big weaknesses.

That's what I've be saying all along Fitz.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 21 2009, 12:29 AM) *
That's BS Damarv it's Pacquiao too. If he wants this fight it'll happen. He hides behind his team. They wanna handicap dudes and as I was saying he aint no different then Floyd except Floyd never did no shit like this. What P4P fighter in history was full of this much shit?

Back in the day, cats like Armstrong and Robinson would fight guys that weighed 15 pounds more. This catchweight shit is stupid. That goes for Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquiao, and whoever else uses catchweights.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 21 2009, 12:42 AM) *
Back in the day, cats like Armstrong and Robinson would fight guys that weighed 15 pounds more. This catchweight shit is stupid. That goes for Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquiao, and whoever else uses catchweights.

I agree, either man up and fight the dude or STFU. I aint got no problem with a mutual agreement but being real cats back in the day didn't give a damn. That's what I was saying about Duran. He was one of those dudes. Win or lose he would mix it up with whoever.
torvix2000
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 21 2009, 04:42 AM) *

Perhaps because Pacquiao isn't claiming to be greater than Henry Armstrong or Sugar Robinson?

Read my SIG!!!
torvix2000
QUOTE (provo @ Jun 20 2009, 07:23 PM) *

Just when SugarQ and DaMarv have something solid against Pacquiao, then all of a sudden you posted stupid sh***t like this. LOL!
Fitz
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jun 21 2009, 02:31 PM) *
That's what I've be saying all along Fitz.

It's other areas that you contradict yourself. You constantly bash Pacquiao, but Mayweather is worse and we don't hear a thing from you when it's Mayweather involved.
torvix2000
When Pacquiao moved up to 135 and pulverized Diaz, people were saying that Pac is a natural 135-pounder. Lol! After 1 fight. Then Pac fought DLH at 147. And some people here were implying he's a natural 147-pounder even if you point out that he weighed-in at 142. LOL again! And when he went down to fight Hatton at 142 by weighing in at only 138, people are saying he's a natural 140-pounder. Despite eating everything he wanted. LOL!

A natural 135-pounder versus a natural 147-pounder only fighting for money should happen at what weight? As I've said, Pac has earned his greatness. Now, he's fighting for money to fund for his running for election.

There is no double standards between Floyd and Pac. Or there is double standards because Floyd standard is different from Pac's. After all, Floyd's standard is that of Sugar Ray Robinson.
Fitz
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jun 21 2009, 02:21 PM) *
Giving fighters a chance to make a name for themselves? By what...beating him?

laugh.gif

I doubt that Pac is in the "throw my career away for the betterment of the next guy" buisness...and I doubt even more that MAB had that "goal" in mind.

laugh.gif

Looks like you and your brother are happy the way boxing is turning out. None of the stars want to clean out divisions any more. All they want to do is look for a one off fight against another name and continue the process.
Sometimes seem like people care more about how much fighters make than actually be a boxing fan and look for fighters to clean out divisions and have meaningful fights.
The DLH fight wasn't meaningful and the Hatton could have been if Pacquiao decides to stick at 140 and fight legitimate 140 fighters and clean that out. What's the use in fighting welter weights when it's going to be a one off? He isn't going to campaign at 147 and they aren't going to campaign at 140. Just seems strange that people would worry about other men's pockets. Makes you wonder if some people got into the sport because they loved the best possible match ups and see who is the best, or just be satisfied watching men make the quickest buck.
To be honest, I don't have a problem with meaningless fights that are a one off. Mayweather-DLH was fine, Pacquiao-DLH was fine for Pacman, Hopkins-DLH was fine for Hopkins. It becomes a problem when they try to fight the remaining of there career under these circumstances.

Boxers have too much control and some are overpaid (keyword 'some'). I agree that fighters that pull in crowds should get the lions share, but they should put money aside and give money to the actual winner of the fight, or even reward them more if they get a TKO. I would also like to see a shit load of money be put in for any fighter that unifies a division. They need incentives to get back to how boxing was. They get far too much say, they get paid before there job is complete. Why don't they reward fighters more or give them bonuses on title defences, unifying and actually winning fights? At the moment in some divisions, titles are absolutely meaningless.
Fitz
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jun 21 2009, 03:40 PM) *
When Pacquiao moved up to 135 and pulverized Diaz, people were saying that Pac is a natural 135-pounder. Lol! After 1 fight. Then Pac fought DLH at 147. And some people here were implying he's a natural 147-pounder even if you point out that he weighed-in at 142. LOL again! And when he went down to fight Hatton at 142 by weighing in at only 138, people are saying he's a natural 140-pounder. Despite eating everything he wanted. LOL!

A natural 135-pounder versus a natural 147-pounder only fighting for money should happen at what weight? As I've said, Pac has earned his greatness. Now, he's fighting for money to fund for his running for election.

There is no double standards between Floyd and Pac. Or there is double standards because Floyd standard is different from Pac's. After all, Floyd's standard is that of Sugar Ray Robinson.

I don't recall many people saying Pacquiao is a natural 147 fighter. The only thing they are saying is fight at 147 or fuck off.
Byrd Man
This is bullshit on the part of Roach and Pac. I blame Pac too because if he wasn't in favor of this he would step up and say "no, we're fighting at 147, not a catch weight".

Just like I rip Floyd for that type of shit, I have to rip Roach/Pac for that too.

Anyone who doesn't do the same (who ripped Floyd for that very thing) is just a blind hater.

Fuck this catch weight shit. Either fight for the title at 147 or fight someone else at your own weight.
Fitz
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jun 21 2009, 03:57 PM) *
Anyone who doesn't do the same (who ripped Floyd for that very thing) is just a blind hater.

What about the people that rip Pacquiao, but don't rip Mayweather. Like Sugar Q?
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 20 2009, 08:44 PM) *

Valero is garbage and will eventually get exposed, plus he has fought absolutely nobody to warrant a fight with Pacquiao, he has done absolutely nothing. Pacquiao would smash him to pieces anyways.

You know Fitz, the money is at 147. 140, there is no money. Simple as that. Manny fighting Cotto or Mosley at 47, he's at a disadvantage. They will beat Manny at 47 with ease and the gravy train leaves. The trouble with 40 is that Hatton was not THE guy at 140. Who did Hatton fight to get that distinction. Let me tell you who he didnt fight... Tim Bradley, Junior Witter, Ricardo Torres or Kendall Holt. I think most of those guys tear Hatton a new asshole. I also think most of those guys would beat Pacquiao. Unfortunately for Pac, it would be for no money. The money is at 47. if he can get the name Cotto on the signage, then he has a shot to make money. if he can get these guys to come in drained, he has a shot to win. If I was Cotto's team, I'd take a weigh in weight of 143, if he can make it. Then fight night come in whats natural. Cotto's gonna beat manny bad... Wont be close. Manny's too small and will wilt when Cotto thumps his ribs...
Fitz
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jun 21 2009, 04:01 PM) *
You know Fitz, the money is at 147. 140, there is no money. Simple as that.

Yes, I know that's where the money is and what I was trying to say earlier. All these catch weights and one off fights are ruining the sport. Cotto won't campaign at 140 and Manny won't campaign at 147. The fight is meaningless and purely for money. Nothing else. It doesn't clear anything. It won't clear the picture for the 140 or 147 division. Manny wins, Cotto was too drained. Cotto wins, he was too big. It means nothing and it's purely for money. Like I said earlier, I don't mind fighters taking money fights like Manny, Mayweather and Hopkins all did with DLH. They are entitled to it. It becomes a problem when they then try to make a career of all these one off fights and neglect the fans.

Manny fighting Cotto or Mosley at 47, he's at a disadvantage.

Yes, and it's why we have weight division. It's supposed to assist fighters not being at a disadvantage and it's why we have them. So if he is at a disadvantage. What do you think that is telling us?

The trouble with 40 is that Hatton was not THE guy at 140. Who did Hatton fight to get that distinction.

Yes he was and the fight he had to get that distinction was Kostya Tszyu. Tszyu was the man, the undisputed champion at 140 and Hatton beat him. Up until fighting Manny, he was undefeated at 140 and hadn't lost that title, so I disagree with you. He was most certainly the guy at 140.

Let me tell you who he didnt fight... Tim Bradley, Junior Witter, Ricardo Torres or Kendall Holt. I think most of those guys tear Hatton a new asshole.

You may be right, but that still doesn't change anything. Hatton was still the man at 140, just like Mayweather was the man at 147 despite not fighting welters. But that's how it is.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I agree with Fitz. I mean at this rate why even bother with weight divisions at all? I like Pac he brings excitement to the sport and seems a likeable guy. To be fair he didn't fight de la Hoya ta acatchweight just at a weight that Oscar hadn't fought at in like a decade. if Oscar is dumb enough to sign up to that shit.........

Cotto destroys Pac at 147 and I'm pretty sure if he gets the weight down right destroys Pac at 143 as well. Pac is a 140 pounder as I see it and should campaign at that weight but who pays him the kind of money he has become accustomed to?

I don't like this fight at all and in the interests of equality (just for you Sugar) I see it as meaningless as the PBF/JMM fight. What will it prove? Zip.

Byrd Man
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 20 2009, 11:00 PM) *
What about the people that rip Pacquiao, but don't rip Mayweather. Like Sugar Q?

Same applies.

I say fuck it. Let one fight at 140 and the other fight @ 147 and find out who really is the best pound 4 pound champ. Fuck this catch weight shit.
JaRaNDa
The following may be all over the place, as I have alot to write, just don't know how or where to begin on such a cancerous topic to the sport!

De La Hoya-Mayweather breaks PPV records against Lewis-Tyson not because the fight was that important or everyone cared..but because to his credit De la Hoya appears to have learned how to promote a fight! Now every tom, dick and harry of boxing wants to make those same type of numbers with cash and ppvs because they see one fight made a record! That's the thing..records arnt meant to be easy to break, therefore there should'nt be soo many 'mega fights' crammed in such a short amount of time, mainly using the same boxers for all their promoting for they're so called 'mega fights'.

They have recycled similar fighters in De la Hoya, Mayweather, Hatton and Pac on 24/7 to hype and build fights, all those names happen to be money makers, which does not translate in importance or relivance. I'd like to see them use 24/7 for potentially explosive fights, up and comers, deserving/quality fights and simply more exposure on a variety of boxers!

De La Hoya stated he wanted to go out with a BANG finishing his career naming all these fighters and ends up fighting drastically smaller guys! and noone give me 'but Pac beat him' bullshit becasue Margarito would have done the exact same thing to DLH but worst for alot less money!! De La Hoya was out to make the most money at the end of his career and now in his new career nothing has changed as he is not looking out for the sport.

Fans are now willing to not see the best quality fights in the sport or see their fav fighters prove they're the best, just as long as the boxers gets the best financial deal?? Unless your that boxers wife or related or living with that boxer..why should it be an issue to fight fans how much 'more' money a fighter gets!?
Now we got our so called 'p4p' best fighters in the world acting like shady buisnesswoman and for some fucked up reason it's ok by fans...just as long as a particular fighter gets that extra 2-8 Mill! There have never been arguments to boxers being under paid..so why would fight fans be concerned about an already rich fighter (insert any top boxers name) making an extra 2-3 Mill over his already 7 digit pay check!?

I remember many people saying De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions) will be good for boxing, he will save boxing, he will be good because he is/was a boxer..so he knows what to do! That is all a pile of shit, DLH is a greedy motherfucker who is clearing trying to make the most money in the shortest amount of time! It's as if everyone who has fought against De la Hoya or has worked with him all of a sudden adopt his greed for money. All these fighters are'nt exactly old and coming to the end of there career either..so why take it easy all of a sudden?

GBP may be good for generating alot money..but I seriously can't see how all these 'catchweight' 'money fights' will be good for our sport..specially in the long run!
Now I'll give GBP a little break by saying that Mayweather-Hatton seemed like one of the few deserved fights that got 24/7 treatment that actually meant something! But the rest have been to make money and not in the sports best interest!

JMM-Diaz
JMM-Casamayor
Marquez-Vasquez I-III
Darchinyan-Arce
Darchinyan-Mijares
Dawson-Johnson
Dawson-Ademak
Williams-Wright
Williams-Margarito
Margarito-Cotto
Cotto-Mosley
Mosley-Margarito are just a few past fights that I feel were much more worthy for 24/7 that were fights that resolved & changed the landscape of each division and gained respect by fight fans to both winners and some of the losers on the night! Ironically majority of the fights I listest were actually pretty decent fights as well which would be good for boxing as some of those fighters are still coming up, alot of years left, at their prime which (for the long run) gives new fans oppotunity to follow the majority of a fighters career!

It's as if Boxing has the mentailty that every fight made now has to be a 'mega fight' or if a fight can't make X amount of PPV sales it's not a good fight! But not every boxer in the world is going to be a De la Hoya or Hatton so why not follow all the rules, divisions, rankings, mandatories ect to develope the 'right' fights which would then tell you who really is the 'best'! From there you'd then have a boxer make himself into a star..instead of a promotor trying to create one!!
torvix2000
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jun 21 2009, 08:32 AM) *
I agree with Fitz. I mean at this rate why even bother with weight divisions at all? I like Pac he brings excitement to the sport and seems a likeable guy. To be fair he didn't fight Dela Hoya at a catchweight just at a weight that Oscar hadn't fought at in like a decade. if Oscar is dumb enough to sign up to that shit.........

Cotto destroys Pac at 147 and I'm pretty sure if he gets the weight down right destroys Pac at 143 as well. Pac is a 140-pounder as I see it and should campaign at that weight but who pays him the kind of money he has become accustomed to?

I don't like this fight at all and in the interests of equality (just for you Sugar). I see it as meaningless as the PBF/JMM fight. What will it prove? Zip.

I've been thinking about your first question. What will happen if we don't have weight divisions?

I think, the weight divisions work. They have served their purpose. Catchweights are simply a way of leveling the playing field. The fans have the last say as to whether they'd give meaning to the results of the fights in a catchweight.

I was the one who was very vocal about Pacquiao cherry picking on Cotto because of the catchweight. It means that I won't give Pac credits if the fight happens at 143 (in case he wins). If the catchweight happens at 145, I'd give him credit because Cotto last weighed in at 146. How about 144?

I have a question to those who say that the fight must be at 147 or DON'T fight at all: If people are so sure that a 147-pound Cotto will destroy Pacquiao, then what will a fight at 147 prove?

See my points?

1. 143-Pac will destroy a 143-Cotto. No point in fighting at 143.
2. 147-Cotto will destroy a 147-Pac. No point in fighting at 147.

UNLESS WE ARE NOT SURE WHETHER A 143-Cotto or a 147-Pacquiao WILL LOSE.

Remember Pac-DLH at 147? Was there a point in fighting simply because we already knew that Dela Hoya would knock Pac out?
torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 21 2009, 07:47 AM) *
Yes, and it's why we have weight division. It's supposed to assist fighters not being at a disadvantage and it's why we have them. So if he is at a disadvantage. What do you think that is telling us?

It's telling us that they don't belong in the same weight division. No argument there. You don't want to see them fight. And it's fine.
Keith
There is 1 way to solve this catch weight bullshit that is flying around. It works in every capitalist situation on Earth today. DONT BUY THE PPV. Ya it sucks but its the best way to make your voice and opinion heard. How many are willing to do that? If your not, then catch weights arent that bad and they will inevitably continue when situations call for it.

Imo, Cotto (or Mosley) is the real sell out. Cotto and Mosley could say "Fuck off, your chance to make history stops here. 147 is the bellcow. This is our division." Only they wont because they want to make the dough. Catchweights are not much different then any other negotiated item in a fight: fight location, ring size, size and brand glove, referee, 10 or 12 rds, etc. If a fighter can gain an advantage with something they will. Catch weights suck to the high heaven but Cotto or Mosley could just say "Fuck off". They wont.
torvix2000
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 21 2009, 02:25 PM) *
There is 1 way to solve this catch weight bullshit that is flying around. It works in every capitalist situation on Earth today. DONT BUY THE PPV. Ya it sucks but its the best way to make your voice and opinion heard. How many of are willing to do that? If your not, then catch weights arent that bad and they will inevitably continue when situations call for it.

Imo, Cotto (or Mosley) is the real sell out. Cotto and Mosley could say "Fuck off, your chance to make history stops here. 147 is the bellcow. This is our division." Only they wont because they want to make the dough. Catchweights are not much different then any other negotiated item in a fight: fight location, ring size, size and brand glove, referee, 10 or 12 rds, etc. If a fighter can gain an advantage with something they will. Catch weights suck to the high heaven but Cotto or Mosley could just say "Fuck off". They wont.

I agree with both paragraph.

Paragraph #1: The people have spoken, that's why Gayweather had his injury.

Paragraph #2: Yes, catchweight is like an item. A Cleto Reyes or "Whining". In fact, Mosley's desperation to land a fight with Pac led him to say things like, "I will fight Pac at 144 right now!". LOL!
torvix2000
And another question: What if Pac accepted Mosley's offer of a catchweight? Who will get the flak? LOL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.