Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P4P at years end
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AussieLad
Lets say cotto beats pac, and floyd beats marquez.

Who is new p4p no. 1

My opinion on the matter is that when you have such a small guy taking on a dangerous and much larger champion, then losing shouldnt effect his status too much. Pac will probably lose 1 or 2 slots at worst case scenario

Conversely, a much larger stronger fighter losing to a smaller man should have his p4p rating drastically effected (ie hatton vs pac). And on the same note, a larger stronger fighter beating a a much smaller man... he did what he was supposed to do, and so shouldnt garner that much respect. Who respects a schoolyard bully picking on smaller kids? I have a problem with mayweather slotting back on the top of the p4p lists based on something that happens everyday in schools around the world. At best he should be top 3, based on inactivity for so long and the meaningless accomplishment of beating up a guy that should never have agreed to fight above 140. And yes, i dont think cotto should shoot up in the ratings based on a pac win for the same reasons, conversley cotto losing represents a huge risk for cotto's standing
The CEO
Once Mayweather beats Marquez, I'll put Mayweather at #2 under Pacquiao....and then....when Cotto beats Pacquiao....I'll put Mayweather at #1 and Cotto at #2.....Pacquiao and Marquez will then be #3 and #4 respectively....
torvix2000
Those who oppose catchweights will probably disagree. They'll say that they fought at the same weight and that the larger man has been handicapped even if it is just 1 pound of his last weigh in.
The CEO
People need to realize that all 4 of these men....Cotto, Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Marquez...are gonna be around the same size come fight night...

Remember how many of you thought Hatton was gonna be so much bigger and stronger than Pacquiao?....lol....yeah...it's like that.

The "HUGE SIZE MISMATCH" in these matchups are their reaches.......skills are skills...some are a little bigger...and some are a little smaller.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jun 25 2009, 08:16 PM) *
People need to realize that all 4 of these men....Cotto, Pacquiao, Mayweather, and Marquez...are gonna be around the same size come fight night...

Remember how many of you thought Hatton was gonna be so much bigger and stronger than Pacquiao?....lol....yeah...it's like that.

The "HUGE SIZE MISMATCH" in these matchups are their reaches.......skills are skills...some are a little bigger...and some are a little smaller.

Well said!

Though I'm guilty over overrating Hatton's power. Sucks for me.
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jun 25 2009, 08:21 PM) *
Well said!

Though I'm guilty over overrating Hatton's power. Sucks for me.

Players fuck up too. laugh.gif
Keith
If Pac and JMM want to play with the big boys, then when they lose they suffer the consequences in the p4p standings. But I disagree that a PBF win over the lightweight champion of the world catapults him to #1 pfp again. That would be hypocritical of all the discussions in these forums about how PBF has been cherry picking opponents at 40-47. How can you take 2 years off and come back and fight against the champ 2 divisions below you and be #1 pfp?
AussieLad
QUOTE (keith @ Jun 26 2009, 01:40 AM) *
If Pac and JMM want to play with the big boys, then when they lose they suffer the consequences in the p4p standings. But I disagree that a PBF win over the lightweight champion of the world catapults him to #1 pfp again. That would be hypocritical of all the discussions in these forums about how PBF has been cherry picking opponents at 40-47. How can you take 2 years off and come back and fight against the champ 2 divisions below you and be #1 pfp?

Thats my point. 2 years of inactivity and fighting a much smaller guy on return, how can that put you back at no.1, especially considering his career of cherrypicking opponents 140 and above.

Pac agreeing to fight cotto is his decision, no doubt. The difference being he is picking bigger men, whereas floyd is picking smaller men.

CEO, when you say they weill be the same size come fight night, your saying that pac will be cutting weight to the same extent as cotto, and after they both rehydrate will be the same size? What did pac weigh come fight night for oscar? I would have assumed that cotto would blow up 15 pounds or so, and pacs weight would only fluctuate a little, so i am interested to know what he weighed on the night for oscar
AussieLad
Asked the question on a pac site, apparently pac weighed 148.5 for oscar, 148 for hatton. What did cotto weigh for clottey on fight night?
The CEO
Well, Aussie....first of all....I said "around the same size".....not "THE same size"...lol

I read an article the other day where Cotto said that at 145 he would gain 10 pounds come fight time......that would make him 155....

Mayweather usually comes in around early 150s....and I believe Marquez came in against Diaz in the late 140s like Pacquiao...
AussieLad
Wasnt taking a shot at you. i thought maybe i had missed something, ie pac weighing in significantly more on fight night.

But anyway you cut it, there will still likely be around a 7-10 pound difference between the two, a division or a division and a half advantage for cotto. Dude just has the bigger frame
King Eugene
Victor Ortiz will crack the top 10
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.