Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James DeGale To Train, Spar With Floyd Mayweather Jr.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
I thought this dude was injured. I mean what the F%#@? Is he lying or is that enough time to heal from torn rib cartilage?

By Mark Vester

One of the more highly regarded prospects in British boxing, middleweight James DeGale, is going to train and spar with five-division champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. at the end of July. DeGale, a 2008 Olympic gold winner, faces Ciaran Healey at Manchester's MEN Arena on July 18. DeGale and his trainer Jim McDonnell met Mayweather in London during last month's media tour for Mayweather-Marquez.

"We have an option to train with Mayweather in Vegas," said DeGale to the BBC. "To be in the gym with Floyd will be unbelievable. Floyd is one of my favourite fighters ever. He's a boxer who can dig deep when he needs to. Mayweather is a proper showman - I love his attitude. He has all the skills. If I'm half the fighter he is, I'll be cool."

McDonnell told the BBC that sparring with Mayweather and other American fighters will enchance DeGale.

"We're going to use the summer vacation as part of James' learning curve. All we've go to do with Mayweather is finalize the details," McDonnell said. "We also have an option to train with Ronald 'Winky' Wright in Miami and Jermain Taylor at Gleason's Gym in New York. We want James to train and spar with world champions."

thehype
laugh.gif

He's not supposed to train and spar with him until the end of July. I'm no doctor, but from what I understand of that type of injury, that should be plenty of time for him to heal and get back to sparring assuming the injury occurred two or more weeks ago.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 26 2009, 01:35 PM) *
laugh.gif

He's not supposed to train and spar with him until the end of July. I'm no doctor, but from what I understand of that type of injury, that should be plenty of time for him to heal and get back to sparring assuming the injury occurred two or more weeks ago.

Thanks Hype. That plus the story on the main page about the September 19th date clears it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.