Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO-ESPN-Showtime...Rate the fight analysts
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
Love them or hate them, the analysts for these fight networks do add something to the event.

I think (and I'm surprised) that to me, Teddy Atlas is the best. Opinionated, brutally honest but the guy knows his stuff.

Manny Steward, I respect greatly but he seems to be slipping a bit. May be because he works with Larry Merchant.

Speaking of Larry Merchant, I can tolerate him but I know a lot of the people he works with can't stand him.

Al Bernstein, steady, reliable and insightful.

I rate them this way:

Atlas
Bernstein
Steward
Merchant

comments? criticisms? thoughts?

Other that need mentioning are Lampley, Kellerman, Lewis, Foreman, Jones, Jr, Matthews, Charles, Farhood, Tessitore, Johnson, Tompkins, Cryz, O'Grady, Albert, Tyson.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (du365 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:30 AM) *
Love them or hate them, the analysts for these fight networks do add something to the event.

I think (and I'm surprised) that to me, Teddy Atlas is the best. Opinionated, brutally honest but the guy knows his stuff.

Manny Steward, I respect greatly but he seems to be slipping a bit. May be because he works with Larry Merchant.

Speaking of Larry Merchant, I can tolerate him but I know a lot of the people he works with can't stand him.

Al Bernstein, steady, reliable and insightful.

I rate them this way:

Atlas
Bernstein
Steward
Merchant

comments? criticisms? thoughts?

Other that need mentioning are Lampley, Kellerman, Lewis, Foreman, Jones, Jr, Matthews, Charles, Farhood, Tessitore, Johnson, Tompkins, Cryz, O'Grady, Albert, Tyson.

i think kellerman should be higher on the list and tyson should be a lot higher on the list.. tyson knows the sport... great on the camera... and i would like to add james toney who really makes telecast entertaining... and also bob sheridan is pretty good too...
Jack 1000
Atlas is so over-rated and much to conceited for my taste. Like a spoiled child who has a tantrum, taking his ball and bat and running away screaming when he doesn't get his way. He can't even pronounce fighters' names correctly.

It's "Holyfield" (as in "Holy Ghost) Teddy, not "Hollyfield." He may be genuine and not sugar-coated in his views, but for a guy that is supposedly so experienced, he sounds like an idiot when he can't say names right. But he's the kind of guy that if you tell him he's wrong, he could punch you in the mouth. He got suspended from ESPN once for fighting with a camera man. This hardly defines a class act.

I like Al Bernstein because he's casual and witty. Jim Lampley is a talking head who has been reduced to cheering for the house fighter that HBO has under contract. Sadly, he used to be a joy to hear, not so much anymore. Manny Steward needs to take the mashed potatoes out of his mouth so that you can understand what he says. Steve Farhood and Nick Charles are good, but are about as exciting as a PBS auction.

Larry Merchant is a senile old drunk who doesn't want to be there unless a fight is an all-time war. You can tell this in his voice and mannerisms. Wally Matthews is ok.

I liked Roy Jones much better as a commentator than a fighter.

Foreman was funny, but the novelty wore off and he became a big buffoon, although lovable. I believe that Larry and he hated each other.

I liked Tyson doing guest commentary for Showtime during the great Pettway-Brown fight!

Still need to see more of Gus Johnson to make an evaluation of him. Seems ok so far.

Max Kellerman is so much improved from the ESPN 2 days and his Ring Magazine, Roy Jones, Whitaker with screaming Atlas hurting the ears. He still has his favorites of slick boxers over sluggers, but on HBO he is better to listen to than when he was at ESPN2. Max should stick to calling the fights and not do so much boxing history opinions, an area where he is very weak because he tries to present his views as facts. This is where Max is still flawed. Call the fight what you see based on the hear and now. Max needs more experience and greater objectivity to talk about boxing history. A plus is he enjoys being there, unlike Merchant. Max wants to be liked, maybe a little too much.

Barry Tompkins was very professional, but sometimes his enthusiasm was weak.

Al Albert and Sean O'Grady had fun. But they were two agreeable parrots who never met a mismatch they didn't like. They would always give some journeymen more credit than he deserved against the house fighter, and than act so shocked when the bum got KTFO! LOL!

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 27 2009, 11:42 AM) *
i think kellerman should be higher on the list and tyson should be a lot higher on the list.. tyson knows the sport... great on the camera... and i would like to add james toney who really makes telecast entertaining... and also bob sheridan is pretty good too...

Thanks for mentioning Col. Bob Sheridan! Listen to his call at the end of Douglas-Tyson on Kingvision's closed-circuit telecast compared to Lampley on HBO. Lamps was good, but Col. Bob's is great! Col. Bob LOVES all the sanctioning bodies and any Don King fighter! His commentary in Mormek-Bell II was a little too one-sided! He gave Bell no credit at all, especially in the later rounds. I thought Bell won, and Col. Bob had Mormek up by a huge margin.

The only guy I know that gets excited during a Ruiz fight! hahaha. The ONLY excitable Ruiz fight is Tua! LOL!

Jack
happygocampy
Al Albert and the Champ Sean O'grady are my all time favs, prolly cause sometime in the 90's i fell in love with the sport watching USA's Tuesday Night Fights.

Atlas is my current favorite atm, his speech imparement i'm sure is due to all the beatings he took as a fighter. I think of the man as commendable, and has gone out of his way for the sport so many times, thank god someone like him is around to throw a tantrum when a tantrum needs to be thrown, Ive never seen him go over the top when he shouldn't have. I will admit, this whole year so far, his scoring has been shit. He used to get fights right 9 out 10, but lately it's been 1 out of 10.

After that i always liked fighters commentating like Scott LeDoux, Bobby Czyz, and BHop.

I can't stand anyone on Showtime, they call the fights wrong, they call blatent lies like headbutts left hooks, even during a clear slow mo replay. I'm sick of Steve Farhood telling every fighter they need to grab and hold their opponent, he might make a good MMA commentator, but in Boxing i don't pay to see guys break the rules and hold, i pay to see them punch, move their feet/head block and show some actual skills.

I like HBO commentators better than Showtimes, but these guys seem to get worse and worse.

And i agree with Jack about Kellerman, when my grandpa was still alive he would always say max didn't know what the hell he was talking about when it came to boxing history.
D-MARV
Even though he is new to the sport... I like Gus Johnson. He brings a lot of energy and emotion to the sport. 12th round Taylor-Froch was Awesome.
Romulus9
QUOTE (happygocampy @ Jun 28 2009, 10:41 PM) *
Atlas is my current favorite atm, his speech imparement i'm sure is due to all the beatings he took as a fighter. I think of the man as commendable, and has gone out of his way for the sport so many times, thank god someone like him is around to throw a tantrum when a tantrum needs to be thrown, Ive never seen him go over the top when he shouldn't have. I will admit, this whole year so far, his scoring has been shit. He used to get fights right 9 out 10, but lately it's been 1 out of 10.

Atlas didn't really take beatings as a fighter. In fact, he didn't really spend a great deal of time in the ring, all things considered. His neck prevented him from really going very far as a fighter.

Since you're an Atlas fan, read his book. It's absolutely wonderful. You'll read it in no time because you really get drawn in.

happygocampy
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jun 28 2009, 08:01 PM) *
Since you're an Atlas fan, read his book. It's absolutely wonderful. You'll read it in no time because you really get drawn in.

Ah his book, i was meaning to get it n read it for quite sometime and i keep forgetting. Look forward to reading it, thanks for a reminder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.