Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Ortiz vs. Maidana RBR/Postfight (All Comments Here)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all comments about tonight's match on HBO.

Jack

Administrator
salvador
FUCKIN' A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Box in Hand
Was that first round a 9-9 round?
Nay_Sayer
Where did they find this Maidana guy?!?
D-MARV
FOTY!!!!!!!!!!!
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jun 27 2009, 09:27 PM) *
Where did they find this Maidana guy?!?

Shaky Leg Village.
True-Boxing-Fan
Wow, this is a great fight. Ortiz is no joke, either is Maidana. That first round is round of the year so far.
True-Boxing-Fan
These dudes got some serious heart.
Box in Hand
Ortiz has holes in his defense that he better fix up or an elite fighter will decapitate him.
Nay_Sayer
Ortiz is getting hit with WAY too many right hands...
True-Boxing-Fan
Big round 5 for Maidana.
Nay_Sayer
God damn, that last right hand @ the end of the 5th round....
salvador
Is this real????

Jesus Christ!!!!!!
Nay_Sayer
Fight stopped on Ortiz' cut...
D-MARV
Ortiz QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Box in Hand
Ortiz quit. I have zero respect for that shit. So much for him being the next coming of Manny Pacqiuao.
D-MARV
The fight didn't get stopped!!!!!

ORTIZ QUIT!
thehype
Get in chat fools
salvador
KELLERMAN RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a night!!!!!

Fucking Kellerman!!!
The CEO
Damn good fight.....I knew Ortiz wasn't good enough....pegged him a while back........the boy quit....and they tried to cover it up by calling up the doctor...
Box in Hand
The only thing this kid has is a good personality. But his heart is the size of a peanut.
Box in Hand
Wow, did you hear what he just said. Ortiz said he doesn't need to keep getting beat up like that (He's thinking about quitting). What the f$#%? NO CHAMPION LEVEL FIGHTER TALKS LIKE THAT. HE'S GARBAGE!
The CEO
Did Ortiz just insinuate he might RETIRE?......lol......Wow.

His own crowd just booed him....another hero becomes a zero.
kidbazooka1
Ortiz could have won that fight if he used his f*cking head but he fought like an inexperineced 22 yr old and judging by the interview he may not want to fight anymore what a chump.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Wow, what a fight. That fight could be FOTY, and it should have round of the year as well. Damn, both those guys landed some bombs in there, and it seemed whoever would last would win. I had the feeling Maidina would win around the middle of the 4th round. Ortiz wasn't doing that much, and gradually Maidina was getting back into the fight. Ortiz met an opponent who wouldn't just lay down when hit, and we found out what happens. Those shots at the end of the 5th took it all out of Ortiz. I even thought I heard his corner mentioning about stopping it, and Ortiz didn't look too opposed. That right to begin the 6th just fucked him up worse, and made him quit right there. Damn good fight.

I'm not as hard on Ortiz either. He has heart for sure. He got up in the 1st round, and took shots throughout the fight. He had enough in the 6th, and so be it. It takes a real man to step between those ropes, and unless you've done it you can't critcize him on that level. Who knows what he was feeling, and I don't mind his attitude at the end of the fight. He's right, there is no need for him to get beat up like that. If he can go on and get an education good for him, I wish him the best.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 27 2009, 10:47 PM) *
Wow, what a fight. That fight could be FOTY, and it should have round of the year as well. Damn, both those guys landed some bombs in there, and it seemed whoever would last would win. I had the feeling Maidina would win around the middle of the 4th round. Ortiz wasn't doing that much, and gradually Maidina was getting back into the fight. Ortiz met an opponent who wouldn't just lay down when hit, and we found out what happens. Those shots at the end of the 5th took it all out of Ortiz. I even thought I heard his corner mentioning about stopping it, and Ortiz didn't look too opposed. That right to begin the 6th just fucked him up worse, and made him quit right there. Damn good fight.

I'm not as hard on Ortiz either. He has heart for sure. He got up in the 1st round, and took shots throughout the fight. He had enough in the 6th, and so be it. It takes a real man to step between those ropes, and unless you've done it you can't critcize him on that level. Who knows what he was feeling, and I don't mind his attitude at the end of the fight. He's right, there is no need for him to get beat up like that. If he can go on and get an education good for him, I wish him the best.

I've been through those ropes and in fact went 8 hard rounds just today. That guy sucks and has been exposed. That was the 2009 version of "No Mas".
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Fair enough then....It just kinda bugs me when people who haven't been in there make harsh judgments like that. I wasn't directing my comments towards you either, just kind of in general. It doesn't bug me that much if a boxer quits though, it's his choice, and he knows what he'll have to go through. Who knows, maybe he just saved himself from a brutal KO, and he'll have more fights left in him. Time will tell.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 27 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Fair enough then....It just kinda bugs me when people who haven't been in there make harsh judgments like that. I wasn't directing my comments towards you either, just kind of in general. It doesn't bug me that much if a boxer quits though, it's his choice, and he knows what he'll have to go through. Who knows, maybe he just saved himself from a brutal KO, and he'll have more fights left in him. Time will tell.

I know man, it's not you. That fight made me sick to my stomach.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jun 27 2009, 10:52 PM) *

you make some good points but i think a lot of people including myself are beaing a little harsh on him because so much was expected of him all the hype may have gotten to a lot of folks i know it did to me but if his hearts not in it anynore definitly time for him to look for another career.
Byrd Man
Wasn't this the new Goldenboy? I mean....that's all I fucking heard leading up to this fight.

lol

kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jun 27 2009, 11:33 PM) *
Wasn't this the new Goldenboy? I mean....that's all I fucking heard leading up to this fight.

lol

Too much hype for a kid who was still ver very green.
Jack 1000
What a great fight!!!! Yes, there was some disappointment in Ortiz quitting, but he can still live to fight another day. I was glad that it ended with a Maidana win because I love those types of railes from multiple knockdowns to win types of fights!

What I did not like is that going in you could tell the biased Delahoya favored promoted commentary with Manny acting like Maidana had no chance seconds after the first round bell had sounded, I mean WTF was that shit?! Most of the discussion was centralized post-fight on how and why Ortiz lost, rather than congratulating Maidana on a thrilling come from behind win. It's so obvious that the HBO crew is in bed with Golden Boy Promotions. Manny had to be referenced post-fight to REMIND the fans of what Maidana had just done. They should have given him a little more credit.

I mean people complain about things in boxing's past like hometown judging or officiating by a biased ref. Thank God that HBO announcing team is never appointed official judges for a Delahoya or Cotto fight!

But fights like this should tell HBO, "Hey, we don't need the OHHH and AHHH over the Olympian superstar against a C+ type opponent." This was a return to what HBO Boxing After Dark was under the tutelage of Lou Dibella. A great fight, a great war, with two evenly matched fighters. Don't "Build Legends One At A Time" just to go ga-ga-ga over them. Give the public great fights like this one, showing how awesome HBO Boxing can be with great matchmaking.

This was an incredible fight!

Jack
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 28 2009, 12:30 AM) *
What a great fight!!!! Yes, there was some disappointment in Ortiz quitting, but he can still live to fight another day. I was glad that it ended with a Maidana win because I love those types of railes from multiple knockdowns to win types of fights!

What I did not like is that going in you could tell the biased Delahoya favored promoted commentary with Manny acting like Maidana had no chance seconds after the first round bell had sounded, I mean WTF was that shit?! Most of the discussion was centralized post-fight on how and why Ortiz lost, rather than congratulating Maidana on a thrilling come from behind win. It's so obvious that the HBO crew is in bed with Golden Boy Promotions. Manny had to be referenced post-fight to REMIND the fans of what Maidana had just done. They should have given him a little more credit.

I mean people complain about things in boxing's past like hometown judging or officiating by a biased ref. Thank God that HBO announcing team is never appointed official judges for a Delahoya or Cotto fight!

But fights like this should tell HBO, "Hey, we don't need the OHHH and AHHH over the Olympian superstar against a C+ type opponent." This was a return to what HBO Boxing After Dark was under the tutelage of Lou Dibella. A great fight, a great war, with two evenly matched fighters. Don't "Build Legends One At A Time" just to go ga-ga-ga over them. Give the public great fights like this one, showing how awesome HBO Boxing can be with great matchmaking.

This was an incredible fight!

Jack

agreed 110%....
BigG
Shocked to hear Ortiz lost that way....although admittedly I've never seen Miadana fight. I cant wait to watch this fight.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jun 27 2009, 10:58 PM) *
you make some good points but i think a lot of people including myself are beaing a little harsh on him because so much was expected of him all the hype may have gotten to a lot of folks i know it did to me but if his hearts not in it anynore definitly time for him to look for another career.

That's how I look at it too. Physically Ortiz has the skills to come back strong but if he's already talking about retiring at 22 then he just doesn't have the heart to be an elite boxer, ever. And if he and everybody else knows that now, what's the point of going on? He should retire as he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. He should not be a professional fighter.

I too bought into the hype with him.

JLUVBABY
enough bout ortiz... where does maidana go from here?... he's a good fighter and reports say he deserved the fight against kotlink... maidana could easily be an undefeated fighter.. he looks to me to fit solidly into the 140 lb. division...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 28 2009, 11:18 AM) *
enough bout ortiz... where does maidana go from here?... he's a good fighter and reports say he deserved the fight against kotlink... maidana could easily be an undefeated fighter.. he looks to me to fit solidly into the 140 lb. division...

Maidana could be a great choice for Hatton. Maidana isn't that great of a fighter (weak chin, wide punches, no real jab) and he just got a big win on HBO. Hatton would knock him out (as would Ortiz in a rematch if Ortiz would just jab and box) and I'm sure that Golden Boy has options on Maidana now.

D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 28 2009, 07:13 AM) *
Good fight, but seriously guys. People are going on about FOTY? It would only be FOTY because there probably hasn't been many great, great fights so far. Last weekends fight with Pascal-Dianocu was better than this.
Wasn't much skill involved tonight and it was only the actual knock downs happening that really made the fight as good as it was. I don't think the fight was off the wall in between knock downs. It was very crude, some holding and swinging of the arms in clinches, just not much technique at all. Maidana has some serious cunt in him though and has some heart which is always good to see in a fighter though. I think the fight was pretty entertaining, just think capitalising "fight of the year" with exclamation marks is a little over the top. I suppose watching it live probably makes it a bit more exciting though.
Ortiz is finished and I never want to see him again and will never take him serious as a fighter. I have no problem with fighters quitting, it's their health, but from a fans perspective, I will quit having interesting in them just as they quit. Nothing wrong either way, but just as a fan, I know he doesn't have what it takes so I just basically lose interest when I know a guy doesn't have what it takes to be a champion.
I still hold respect for fighters that quit when they take some really, really bad beatings. Whether you think Cotto quit with Margarito or not is up to you, but if you do think he quit, he can walk away with his head held up high still. When you see fighters like Ortiz quit the way he did, he really didn't dig deep at all. He didn't get a bad beating through out the night, he was just in a tough fight. Fighters like Golota as well I don't respect. I think there is a difference in the type of quitting. There are fighters that quit after they have really tried all night, have been in trouble but tried to dig out of it but enough is enough and then we have fighters that quit at the first moment they are really, really tested. Ortiz and Golota are those type of guys.
Pretty good fight I thought, was just expecting a whole lot more after hearing some of you guys. Last weekends fight was much better.

LMAO... Round 1 was definitely round of the year. Both men were rocked bad numerous times with 5 knockdowns and you get a HUGE upset! It will be up there with FOTY. Watching live DOES help it out too.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jun 28 2009, 12:18 PM) *

Maidana is a tough fighter. I suppose he loses to any of the top 5 fighters in the division though.
The CEO
Bradley would pound Maidana out in less than 4 rounds....Bradley has skills AND a chin AND a heart...

D-MARV
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jun 28 2009, 01:06 PM) *
Bradley would pound Maidana out in less than 4 rounds....Bradley has skills AND a chin AND a heart...

Agreed!

I have been saying every since the Witter fight that Bradley is the best in the division.
kidbazooka1
Maidana may not have the skills of the top 5 in the divison but if he lands that right hand clean he can take out anyone IMO.
JonnyBlaze
This was the guy everyone on here thought was the best prospect..Getting a bunch of KO's doesn't mean anything for an up and comer..I made sure to keep that in mind so I didn't buy into it..You can knock all the people out you want but not everyone is going to fall like the rest..The same thing happened to Tyson..When he wasn't able to get the KO,it was him who got KO'd..
EirbinX
Speaking of top Jr. welters watever happend to Junior Witter it's like he fell off the map after the Bradley fight
kidbazooka1
Marquez/Diaz is the FOTY so far imo.
Jack 1000
From what I saw in that 6th round, I observed Ortiz shaking his head "no" as he was being led back by the ref for the doctor to examine the cut. He was a beaten fighter and didn't want anymore. But I can't really call him a "quitter" in the classical sense. A real quitter would not have battled back like he did and brawled like he did. They knew the cut was going directly into his eyes, and that is always a bad sign. How much more could he have taken? Remember there was a lot of time left in the 6th round, and he gave us a great 5.5 rounds.

What concerned me was his post-fight interview as if he were contemplating retirement. I think Ortiz can come back and agree with Manny in this instance. He needs to work on defense a little more, and better boxing. I don't think one loss makes him suck. At least not after a fight like that!

Jack
Douchebag
Ortiz could have picked this guy apart. He could surprise a lot of people so don't write him off just yet. You can't disregard the human element.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I think he could be a really good fighter still. He just needs a bit more discipline in that ring, and to use that jab a lot more. If he does those things he can beat a lot of guys since he stilll has the power. He won't be a fan favorite anymore, but that doesn't mean he can't have a good career. Also, if he chooses to give up boxing and pursue and education or something, good for him. I don't even take his post-fight interview that seriously either. It was minutes after a battle, where he gave up. I'm sure his mind wasn't exactley in the right place to have Kellerman hittin him with questions. We all say things we don't mean.
Jack 1000
I think with Ortiz, more people are upset with the stuff he said after the fight like, "I've got a lot of thinking to do. I don't really want to get beat up like this," as opposed to the stoppage of the fight itself. It was like he was contemplating retirement. He could have said something, "Hey I lost, but I'll be back, and I'd love to have another war with Maidana." I think people may have been looking for something post-fight on more of an up-swing. It's not so much whether you believe he quit from the cut, but that in losing a classic brawl, reminiscent of B.A.D's legendary early years of great fights, that as a fighter, Ortiz hinted at retirement.

I believe more of what he said right after the fight rather than the LA Times post-fight article where he indicated he could have gone on fighting. He was shaking his head "no," right after getting up from the knockdown as the ref was taking him back to see the doctor. The day after, he was just trying to save face.

Jack
Big Slim Sweet
The postfight comments definitely made things a lot worse. Ortiz had no fire or passion. He was just happy it was over.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.