Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roberto Duran vs Julio Cesar Chavez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Classic Boxing
PR316
Two of the greatest lightweights of all time. This would be toe to toe at close quarters all night..

I give Duran the edge via close decision win here due to his speed advantage.
kidbazooka1
Two all time greats this would be my ultimate dream match.

Duran could do it all at 135lb but so could Chavez. I don't see either guy going down this would be a phone booth warfare till the end but I've always said the only guy that i feel could have beaten a prime Chavez at lightweight was Duran.

Duran by close but well deserved decision in one of the greatest fights of all time.
JonnyBlaze
At 135,Duran could be #2 the best ever at that weight with only Benny Leonard above him..I think Duran would put it to Chavez pretty good and win a UD for sure..I don't think he'd be able to put Chavez down,but if anyone could put him away,it'd be Duran at 135..Chavez didn't have the inside skills like Duran..Duran was a lot smarter than he was given credit for..To have Ray Arcel,the best trainer ever in your corner,you're gonna have a lot of ring smarts..Only trainer I could see someone having over him was Jack Blackburn(for skills,not accomplishments)..When it came to accomplishments,Arcel is the best..

Duran by a smart UD..I'd give him a 5 point edge in a 15 rounder due to Duran's superior boxing skills..

By the way,this is a sweet match up and would of been an instant classic and top 10 ATG fight in terms of action..
Romulus9
I'll take Duran to knock Benny Leonard's block off inside 8.

If you disagree, ask Ken Buchanan. He'll answer you if his balls aren't still in his throat from the shot Duran hit him with in the 13th.

Duran @ 135 = best ever. EVER.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 5 2009, 11:08 PM) *
I'll take Duran to knock Benny Leonard's block off inside 8.

If you disagree, ask Ken Buchanan. He'll answer you if his balls aren't still in his throat from the shot Duran hit him with in the 13th.

Duran @ 135 = best ever. EVER.

I agree Duran is the greatest at 135lb greater than Leonard.
STEVENSKI
Tough call. I will take Duran in a close but clear decision something like 10-4-1 or 9-5-1 as there would be some close rounds but a clear win for Duran IMO.

Personally I have Duran & Leonard equal pegging. I don't see Duran knocking out Leonard as Leonard was only knocked out in his last fight at 147 about 150 years out of his prime. Sure he lost another couple by KO early when he was still a child but Leonard had a rock steady chin no doubt.

I think Leonard was a more cagey & scientific fighter than Duran & would probably win 6/10 fights they would have but Duran with his pure skill & agression would win his share. The fact that when talking about ATG lightweights there are really only 2 that get the top billing is very telling especially as 135 is possibly the most stacked division talentwise in history.

It is only my opinion but if the greats of the day Dempsey, Tunney, Walker & Greb all say Leonard was the best they ever saw then their word is good enough for me.........
PR316
I have a hard time seeing anyone at 135 beating Duran thats for sure. But if I could come up with some guys that would have a chance..

Esteban De Jesus- He did once so he has to go up there.

Ike Williams- Not too familiar with him but I've heard he was phenominal.

Julio Cesar Chavez- Hence the match up.

Pernell Whitaker- Had the smarts and slickness to do it.

Sugar Ray Robinson- Boxed briefly at 135 my understanding is but didn't last too long there apparentley.

Henry Armstrong- Haven't seen much of anything on Homicide Hank but from what I've read in books, magazines, and online, he was a beast at his best.

Azumah Nelson- I think he had the slickness and skills to bother Duran at the very least.

Guys that could be competitive but would definitely lose are Alexis Arguello, Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Oscar De La Hoya. I know I'm forgetting somebody.
BigG
Duran by competitive decision it would be an big war. Chavez chin is beastly but Duran was GOAT.
kidbazooka1
At his best Duran beats any lightweight in History.
JonnyBlaze
I think it's crazy some people are sayin Duran over Benny..No one had better balance than Benny..What did Benny not have in his game??The only thing I can think of was that he wasn't a monster hitter like Duran..Leonard would give Duran fits..Leonard was a defensive wizard like Pep..Pep was the best in my opinion though..Joe Louis said after SRR,Pep was the best fighter ever he had seen..Steve brought up what Dempsey and Tunney said,and I gotta go with them too..They saw Leonard at his best..

kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 7 2009, 09:37 PM) *
I think it's crazy some people are sayin Duran over Benny..No one had better balance than Benny..What did Benny not have in his game??The only thing I can think of was that he wasn't a monster hitter like Duran..Leonard would give Duran fits..Leonard was a defensive wizard like Pep..Pep was the best in my opinion though..Joe Louis said after SRR,Pep was the best fighter ever he had seen..Steve brought up what Dempsey and Tunney said,and I gotta go with them too..They saw Leonard at his best..

Fighters could be very biased aswell. cool.gif

From what i've read and seen of leonard I just don't feel anyone at 135lb including Chavez who as many here already know is my favorite fighter of all time and reason i got into boxing could beat a prime Duran. He was simply the best lightweight of all time.
PR316
I think a young Pernell Whitaker has a chance to beat him. All the rest I think get beaten clearly. PBF would give a decent scrap for about 5 rounds before Duran begins to break him down and stop him in 10 rounds,.
Maxy
I think Duran pounds out a clear 15 round decision over Chavez in a fight that would be nothing short of epic.

Duran would smash PBF inside the distance. Leonard is a tough call but as I think Duran is the best ever at 135 I'd have to side with him in a close fight. Whitaker, my favourite fighter, has the skills to beat Duran but I'll leave it at that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.