Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ortiz said he would have fought on!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kidbazooka1
Ortiz said during the post fight press confrence that he was not waving his hand to quite but to tell the ref that the KD in the 5th was due to a slip not a punch he also said that he was willing to fight on but had no problem with the stoppage because he could not see anymore due to the cut and swelling. Also during the confrence he said that he will continue boxing and that the only reason he said he would think about it after the fight was because he was still a bit emotional he said he will go back to the drawing board and work on his mistakes

What do you guys think does this sound like an excuse to save face or is it legit. I've replayed that rd several times and it could look like he was waving to the ref as to motion it was not a KD but then again giving his post fight interview it also looked like he didn't want to go on.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 29 2009, 01:15 AM) *
There is nothing to argue or speculate. He said what he said after the fight he quit because he still wants to speak when older.

I agree just saying what was said during the post fight press confrence.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 29 2009, 06:15 AM) *
There is nothing to argue or speculate. He said what he said after the fight he quit because he still wants to speak when older.

Agreed. At the time of the stoppage, there was absolutely no look of disappointment or argument on his face, but rather relief. His post-fight comments only confirmed that.
thehype
Sounds to me like young Victor got a stern talking to by the brass at Golden Boy regarding what he WILL say at post-fight presser.
Douchebag
I think the fact that he ended up headlining the event fucked his head up. Golden Boy is still going to back him so there is still money to be made so I don't see him quitting right now (this kid almost filled up the staple center by himself). I think the cut really discouraged but I think he will be back. I think golden boy gets him a few pay days until he gets in there with another good pressure fighter and he wilts again.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (thehype @ Jun 29 2009, 09:52 AM) *
Sounds to me like young Victor got a stern talking to by the brass at Golden Boy regarding what he WILL say at post-fight presser.

Thats exactly what i was thinking listening to the press confrence.
BGv2.0
JEEZ! I think you guys are way to F'N hard on this kid!

Considering the fight he did in fact give...up until that last round.....a little slack should be given here.

I STILL maintain that the guy is young and was upset at the time he was being interviewed and said some things on the spot that he did not really think thru at the moment prior to saying it.

Evander Holyfield spoke of retiring and not getting beat up after his first loss to Bowe....but again....it was right after a hard loss...and he is a HOF level fighter!

Here is a kid that ended up losing a fight with a huge cut on his right eye and a swollen left eye...YET still had put his opponent down 3x.

All this kid needs is to re-focus....get this guy back in the ring and beat him using his power AND skill....he got caught up in a slug game with this guy and ended up suffering damage that would not allow him to continue.....

that is an issue that could be completley different if he followed a game plan.

Some fighters are naturals at listening to their trainer and following instructions....others have to learn the hard way.....this kid just learned that lesson.

Despite what he said after the fight.....based on what I saw in the fight as a whole.....you are not going to see me call this kid a quitter or coward or any other BS term.

The CEO
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jun 29 2009, 11:58 AM) *
JEEZ! I think you guys are way to F'N hard on this kid!

Considering the fight he did in fact give...up until that last round.....a little slack should be given here.

I STILL maintain that the guy is young and was upset at the time he was being interviewed and said some things on the spot that he did not really think thru at the moment prior to saying it.

Evander Holyfield spoke of retiring and not getting beat up after his first loss to Bowe....but again....it was right after a hard loss...and he is a HOF level fighter!

Here is a kid that ended up losing a fight with a huge cut on his right eye and a swollen left eye...YET still had put his opponent down 3x.

All this kid needs is to re-focus....get this guy back in the ring and beat him using his power AND skill....he got caught up in a slug game with this guy and ended up suffering damage that would not allow him to continue.....

that is an issue that could be completley different if he followed a game plan.

Some fighters are naturals at listening to their trainer and following instructions....others have to learn the hard way.....this kid just learned that lesson.

Despite what he said after the fight.....based on what I saw in the fight as a whole.....you are not going to see me call this kid a quitter or coward or any other BS term.

I think you're being too NICE here, BG......his nonchalant attitude with Kellerman was disturbing and disgusting..."Wowwww....that was craaaazzzyyyyy."...... thumbsdown_anim.gif

There's so many fighters out there that WISHED they could have been in his position...backed by GBP and pushed like they were a future superstar....they would have been willing to face Hell and go for the win...they would left it all in the ring and CARED if they lost......

This Ortiz was nothing but a SHELL of a boxer.

I bet there's thousands of Mexicans out there today who are wishing this kid would get fisted with a concrete gauntlet...lol
JD
I'm kind of tired of work today.

I think maybe I will stop now for today and come back tomorrow.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jun 29 2009, 12:02 PM) *
I think you're being too NICE here, BG......his nonchalant attitude with Kellerman was disturbing and disgusting..."Wowwww....that was craaaazzzyyyyy."...... thumbsdown_anim.gif

There's so many fighters out there that WISHED they could have been in his position...backed by GBP and pushed like they were a future superstar....they would have been willing to face Hell and go for the win...they would left it all in the ring and CARED if they lost......

This Ortiz was nothing but a SHELL of a boxer.

I bet there's thousands of Mexicans out there today who are wishing this kid would get fisted with a concrete gauntlet...lol

lol....I take it you saw my other post.

Don't get me wrong....I was shaking my head along with everybody else while he was giving that interview....BUT...unlike most who get really aggrivated with it...I try to keep it in perspective in relation to the situation. As a matter of fact....I was watching the fight at my mothers house and she sat down and watched it as well...and when he said what he said...my exact words to her were...."That dude is never going to live that down....they are going to rip him apart for talking like that"..

So....none of this really surprises me....but in hindsight...I think people need to reconsider giving him at least a second chance.....SO MANY are ready to simply write him off....and I can understand that as he has been hyped by GBP in a major way....BUT....base it more on what he actually did in the ring prior to the interview.

I would feel the same way if the guy had gottn up right after he had been KD in the first round and said..."I quit".

BUT....that's not what happened.

The guy fought a slugging back and forth battle with a heavy handed puncher and sustained two above average injuries to both his eyes and the fight was stopped.

NOW....it did look at though he was wanting to quit.....BUT...at that time....he was hurt and when you COUPLE that with what he said after the fight....I think people are building a case for him based on the assumption that he is menatlly weak....but for 5 rounds he did not show that to me.....he showed true grit and determination....

All I''m saying is.....he can dig deep if he so chooses.

BUT...I'm realistic....I know fans are going to dwell on the things he said after the fight.

BUT....I'm also older and wiser and I know that you can't put too much stock in what a 22 year old nervous, wounded kid says after a brutal loss.
Spreadking
I thought it was quite noble of Ortiz.

I think he would have been better off without all the hype.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jun 29 2009, 05:59 PM) *
I don't think we are being too hard. I respect his decision, it's his health, though we won't respect him as much as other fighters which is fair enough.

Look no further than Juan Diaz. About the same age, he was in against a MUCH, MUCH better fighter in Campbell, he was cut, received a bigger beating and while he didn't handle the cut well, he stuck through it.

Well....it's understandable if folks choose to not respect him "as much" as other fighters that would have kept going.....that makes perfect sense....BUT...you have people on here (I believe you included) that are trying to say they somehow respect Margarito over this kid....and that is nuts.

When you are somehow giving a pass to a guy that loaded his gloves over a kid that did not display the level of heart you as a boxing fan respect.....there is something screwed up there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.