Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does HBO really have no live boxing again until August 22?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Big Slim Sweet
I might be forgetting a BAD card somewhere before then but I don't think so.

If this is the case, what's the reason for it? Seems unprecedented to go a full two months without a fight. Did they really just throw the rest of their '09 budget at Mayweather? Or is it more along the lines of what Bob Arum said, that they promised the bulk of their remaining dates to GBP and GBP has become unable to provide them with acceptable fights? Are they planning on cutting back on boxing going forward? Anyone know anything? (Hype?)
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jun 30 2009, 10:57 AM) *
I might be forgetting a BAD card somewhere before then but I don't think so.

If this is the case, what's the reason for it? Seems unprecedented to go a full two months without a fight. Did they really just throw the rest of their '09 budget at Mayweather? Or is it more along the lines of what Bob Arum said, that they promised the bulk of their remaining dates to GBP and GBP has become unable to provide them with acceptable fights? Are they planning on cutting back on boxing going forward? Anyone know anything? (Hype?)

big slim i think arum might be right on the money but at the same time i think he needs to throw his hat in the same bag with golden boy promotions... if he could have that type of monopoly on hbo you know he would... i've been saying it and i always will... the promoters, all major promoters have caused the demise of boxing as we knew it back in the 90's and early 2000's and before and until they come to some kind of common ground where everyone can fairly get a slice of the pie this is what is gonna be going on and we will continue to get the non ppv worthy fights on ppv like what they offered this past saturday and no major fights on pay tv like what is going on with hbo.... its not looking good.. boxing wont die but it stands a chance to taking the back seat to a lively sport like mma that has no where near the legacy and heritage of boxing.. greedy promoters have taken a royal sport and turned it into damn near a second class sport... boxing used to be the sport of royalty... the heavyweight championship used to be considered the most prestigious position of all sports... as of right now those days are gone and its gonna take a lot of work for that day to come again...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.