Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arguello found dead :(
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
frankypc
MANAGUA, Nicaragua -- Managua Mayor Alexis Arguello, a three-time world boxing champion, has been found dead.

Presidential spokeswoman Rosario Murillo confirms the death.

His Sandinista party's Radio Ya says coroners are conducting an autopsy to determine the cause of death.

Arguello once fought against the Sandinistas in the 1980s, but joined the party to win election as mayor of the capital in 2008.

Born in 1952, the Hall of Fame boxer was known as "The Explosive Thin Man" in the ring

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1102ap_l...a_arguello.html
Douchebag
RIP
The CEO
One of the fighters who solidified my love for the sport when I was a kid...

He was a great, Great, GREAT boxer. He could do it all...

Rest In Peace, Champ.
Method
Mayorga still banging his daughter?
Romulus9
Wow. Such sad news.

What a great fighter and just a good man. What's truly sad is that, in spite of his three world championships and amazing career, it seems like those who aren't really deep into boxing will only remember him for the win over Mancini and the two losses to Pryor. So much more to the Explosive Thin Man.

RIP Alexis. You were one of the best the sport had to offer.
kidbazooka1
Damn one of my all time favorite fighters Arguello could do it all and was always classy even in defeat.

RIP to one of the the true all time greats.
Romulus9
Unconfirmed details are starting to leak out.... and it's not good.
Keith
A great boxer... but an even better man.
Sugar Q
Wow! One of my favorite fighters. The great Alexis always came to fight and was highly capable. RIP
D-MARV
RIP
Jack 1000
One of my favorite fighters of all time. A true warrior in great legend! A testament to other great champions past and present who looked up to him. Up until Corrales-Castillo I, the greatest fight of all time for me was the historic first fight with Pryor. An incredible champion and one of the nicest people in boxing both in and out of the ring.

RIP friend. Your legendary status and contributions to the sport of boxing will never be forgotten!

Jack
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jul 1 2009, 06:57 AM) *
One of the fighters who solidified my love for the sport when I was a kid...

He was a great, Great, GREAT boxer. He could do it all...

Rest In Peace, Champ.

I ditto that, remember watching his fights with my dad as a teenager. His fight with Boom Boom Mancinni was awesome. After destroying him, the love and respect he showed Mancinni and his dad(who was a WWII vet and former Boxer) was a beautiful thing. Arguello was a true testament to the sport and a class act and a warrior. He will be miss forever. Thanks for all the great memories champ.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 1 2009, 07:44 AM) *
Mayorga still banging his daughter?

You are an ASSHOLE, with your stupid ghetto ass post. Go back to the corner and drink a 40oz. you disrespectful asshole.
Snoop
I got the chance to meet Arguello last year in Managua. We actually have the same birthday and I had the honor of attending his party. He was real approachable, down to earth, knew how to mingle with people, type of guy. He also told me he thought Emmanuel Steward was overrated. LOL. Man, from what I know of the guy, it's a damn shame to lose him. RIP Champ.
kidbazooka1
Arguello was one of if not the greatest 130lb of all time. I remember Edward James Olmos saying that watching Agruello fight was like watching an artist at work. Also Arguello was one of Julio Cesar Chavez idols growing up he had tons of respect for him just as most in the boxing circle did.

Just a glimpse of what the man was all about....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJd2j4LKMU8
Douchebag
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 1 2009, 03:47 PM) *
You are an ASSHOLE, with your stupid ghetto ass post. Go back to the corner and drink a 40oz. you disrespectful asshole.

LMAO at what this thread is going to become.
JLUVBABY
truth be told arguello was a junkie a long time... no telling how he died....
caneman
RIP great warrior !!!!! He was a great person as well the way I hear it!
Romulus9
Here's a great article from Bill Gallo of the New York Daily News, saying goodbye to Alexis:

Farewell to Alexis Arguello, a great fighter - and old friend
BigG
RIP to one of the true greats of Boxing..
STEVENSKI
A true great in the ring. More fighters should show his balls inside the ropes.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 1 2009, 03:44 PM) *
truth be told arguello was a junkie a long time... no telling how he died....

Just like Methods stupid post from earlier, another one comes. I guess birds of the same feather flock together.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 1 2009, 04:24 PM) *
A true great in the ring. More fighters should show his balls inside the ropes.

Agreed, when he moved up to 140 he asked for Pryor, who was THE MAN at 140. He wasnt looking for no cream puffs. He only wanted to fight the best of the best. A true warrior and great person. RIP
Michigan Assassin
I met Alexis when I was 12 or 13 at the Fight Night at the Palace of Auburn Hills and he was the first guy I ever got an autograph from. He was very friendly to all his fans.

And then I was able to hang out and have some beer with him for several years in Canastota. He never turned away a fan and was a true gentleman.

I'm gonna miss him alot but I'm glad his fights will live on.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 1 2009, 06:26 PM) *
Just like Methods stupid post from earlier, another one comes. I guess birds of the same feather flock together.

I just try and ignore stupid comments from cunts like them.
King Eugene
R.I.P.
JonnyBlaze
RIP Alexis..

He was an amazing fighter..
EirbinX
Rest in Peace......i can't say i seen him personally or seen his fights live, but from wat i seen wit his fights wit pryor and some youtube vids all i can say is this man had so much heart he made Gatti look like Floyd Mayweather. fuck alll the hater comments. April 19, 1952 - July 1, 2009
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Jul 2 2009, 12:39 AM) *
I don't understand how people can be so insensative when someone passes, specially so soon! If you don't care then don't say nothing instead of going for cheap shock value!!
Apparently he died due to a 'self-inflicted gun shot'! I have not seen very much on Alexis..but have seen some interviews and was blown away by such a tough mans kindness, respect and manners he displayed!!
R.I.P!

Arguello was all class and im not just saying this because of his passing but i have never seen another fighter as kind, respectful and classy as Arguello was to his opponents after battle.

This is a huge loss for the boxing world.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 1 2009, 06:26 PM) *

whats so stupid about the post true boxing fan... that post is the truth.. the guy was a crack addict at one point in time and no telling what he was getting into... ok the guy is dead and i do hate that... he was a great champion... but truth be told he did become a stone cold junkie at one time and there is no telling how he died... i dont believe the suicide reports coming from that country... if that makes me wrong in your eyes so be it..
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 1 2009, 07:47 PM) *
I just try and ignore stupid comments from cunts like them.

a cunt huh kid?... lol... the statement is true that i said of him being a former and possibly still junkie... i didnt say it to demean the guy but the truth is the truth rather you like it or not... what i am reading that he died of suicide from a gunshot wound to the chest is so unbelievable its ridiculous, who commits suicide by shooting them self in the chest?... the guy was murdered i believe and my point is that he had those demons from the past... that could have been a bad drug deal or extortion or any thing... i wont even comment on your response of name calling.. its laughable to me...

ARTICLE ON ARGUELLO
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 2 2009, 05:57 PM) *
a cunt huh kid?... lol... the statement is true that i said of him being a former and possibly still junkie... i didnt say it to demean the guy but the truth is the truth... what i am reading that he died of suicide from a gunshot wound to the chest is so unbelievable its ridiculous, who commits suicide by shooting them self in the chest?... the guy was murdered i believe and my point is that he had those demons from the past... that could have been a bad drug deal or extortion or any thing... i wont even comment on your response of name calling.. its laughable to me...

ARTICLE ON ARGUELLO

Obviously those who knew Arguello knew he had those issues going on but why not try showing a little respect for god's sake. He just died who knows why but just like most former boxers and celebrities he had his personal problems just like Michael jackson, Joe louis and Ray Robinson had.

All im saying is there was really no need to make that comment just after his passing just like im sure you wouldn't like somone making a similar comment of a deceased relative of yours regardless if it was true or not.

Now i don't know how big a fan you were of Arguello but im sure you wouldn't be making that comment about one of your favorite boxers had he died in such way.

And no matter how you try to justify your comments i just wasn't necessary.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 2 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Obviously those who knew Arguello knew he had those issues going on but why not try showing a little respect for god's sake. He just died who knows why but just like most former boxers and celebrities he had his personal problems just like Michael jackson, Joe louis and Ray Robinson had.

All im saying is there was really no need to make that comment just after his passing just like im sure you wouldn't like somone making a similar comment of a deceased relative of yours regardless if it was true or not.

Now i don't know how big a fan you were of Arguello but im sure you wouldn't be making that comment about one of your favorite boxers had he died in such way.

And no matter how you try to justify your comments it just wasn't right for you to speak that way about a boxer who contributed so much to the sport and especialy when he just passed.

i have compassion behind his death and i am/was a fan of his... love his fights and actually went to his fight against bubba busheme here in beaumont texas my home town as a kid, my grandfather brought me with him to that event.. but the facts or the facts and just because YOU dont like whats said dont make it not a topic for discussion... i suppose you are the qualifier for when it is o.k to start a conversation on a topic that the conversation has full relavance... the dude was a former and possibly still a junkie and his death is mysterious so its a very valid topic that the answers may never be known because of the way those types of governments cover up things... but i will say again he had his problems with drugs and i dont think it was a suicide... maybe the word "junkie" was too much for you to handle but it is what it is as i say it again... its sad he's dead but i'm not grieving... i didnt know the guy and i doubt you did either... yes he did a lot for the sport but that doesnt change the facts surrounding his death... him being a former junkie and possibly still a junkie at the time of his death makes that convo. very valid for discussion.. can you deny that fact?... you are acting like you are ready to go to battle over this conversation...lol... if it was one of my favorite fighters... lets say it was tyson (i consider myself one of his biggest fans since the 80's) and he's found dead today.. gun shot wound to the chest... my first thought is that damn mike was back on the pony... get a grip my man... im sure you are a grown man... no the diffrence between facts and someone triing to demean a person...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 2 2009, 06:17 PM) *
i have compassion behind his death and i am/was a fan of his... love his fights and actually went to his fight against bubba busheme here in beaumont texas my home town as a kid, my grandfather brought me with him to that event.. but the facts or the facts and just because YOU dont like whats said dont make it not a topic for discussion... i suppose you are the qualifier for when it is o.k to start a conversation on a topic that the conversation has full relavance... the dude was a former and possibly still a junkie and his death is mysterious so its a very valid topic that the answers may never be known because of the way those types of governments cover up things... but i will say again he had his problems with drugs and i dont think it was a suicide... maybe the word "junkie" was too much for you to handle but it is what it is as i say it again... its sad he's dead but i'm not grieving... i didnt know the guy and i doubt you did either... yes he did a lot for the sport but that doesnt change the facts surrounding his death... him being a former junkie and possibly still a junkie at the time of his death makes that convo. very valid for discussion.. can you deny that fact?... you are acting like you are ready to go to battle over this conversation...lol... if it was one of my favorite fighters... lets say it was tyson (i consider myself one of his biggest fans since the 80's) and he's found dead today.. gun shot wound to the chest... my first thought is that damn mike was back on the pony... get a grip my man... im sure you are a grown man... no the diffrence between facts and someone triing to demean a person...

If thats your reasoning so be it i don't agree with it and i won't waste my time on that subject anymore.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 2 2009, 06:22 PM) *
If thats your reasoning so be it i don't agree with it and i won't waste my time on that subject anymore.

its your right not to agree with it i dont need you to... the only thing you can debate is my timing in bringing up the fact of his drug use, and that is very important possibly to the truth behind his death... anyway im done too... you resorted to name calling and i usually dont give you guys this much text...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.