Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather vs. Marquez now at 147?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
I don't know if the following article has any merit to it but if it does, I think I'm gonna be sick. Who's responsible for this? Does this put Marquez at an even bigger disadvantage?

By Mark Vester

The rumors are out there again. A few weeks ago, there were rumors that Floyd Mayweather Jr vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, scheduled to take place at the catch-weight of 143/144-pounds [depending on who you ask], was going to get bumped to the full welterweight limit of 147. The weight changed was disputed by those who are close to the fight. Then the fight got pushed back due to an injury to Mayweather's rib and the new date of September 19 has been locked down.

This time the weight change talk is coming from Nacho Beristain, the manager and trainer of Marquez. He says people are saying the weight got bumped to 147 and that would put them at a bigger disadvantage if it proves to be true.

"They are saying that they changed it to 147 pounds. Juan is eager to fight Mayweather and does not care about that, but if the fight is allowed to take place at that weight, Floyd could rise to 160-pounds by the time he enters the ring, or more. The chances of that taking place if he weiged 143 are far less because he would have to work a lot harder to make the weight. I need to speak to Juan about this," Beristain told The Record.

King Eugene
Hmmmmm nea.gif

I thought the fight was always at 147...besides even if it was I've never seen a fight when Floyd came in at or over 160, even in the DLH fight. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.
STEVENSKI
Would not suprise me in the slightest. Floyd is a disgrace to the sport.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 2 2009, 07:20 PM) *
Hmmmmm nea.gif

I thought the fight was always at 147...besides even if it was I've never seen a fight when Floyd came in at or over 160, even in the DLH fight. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

The fight was supposed to be at 143 if I'm not mistaken (Someone correct if I'm wrong). But if I'm right, why the need to make Marquez travel even higher in weight?
King Eugene
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 2 2009, 08:25 PM) *
The fight was supposed to be at 143 if I'm not mistaken (Someone correct if I'm wrong). But if I'm right, why the need to make Marquez travel even higher in weight?

Cause he is chasing Mayweather and not the other way around. Just like if Manny wants Cotto's belt he needs to fight at 147. If not then don't agree to the fight. Plain and simple.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 2 2009, 07:30 PM) *
Cause he is chasing Mayweather and not the other way around. Just like if Manny wants Cotto's belt he needs to fight at 147. If not then don't agree to the fight. Plain and simple.

I hear you but "If" Mayweather is indeed the best why try and give the opponent an additional handicap? Isn't moving up two weight classes enough without the extra weight?
JD
Or if he can only make welter...fight a welter.
Keith
Im just speculating here, but I wonder if this isnt a ploy to get Marquez out of the fight this week. The Sept 19 date is locked in. If they can get Marquez out in the next week, that would leave over 2 months before the fight... I believe that would be enough time for Mosley to hold a normal training camp. I am sure there are all kinda legal hurdles I am missing. Just speculating...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 3 2009, 01:46 AM) *

LOL sure he would if the welter was one armed & had late stage Aids.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 2 2009, 08:42 PM) *
I hear you but "If" Mayweather is indeed the best why try and give the opponent an additional handicap? Isn't moving up two weight classes enough without the extra weight?

Plain and simple if you want me come and get me. Marquez needs Mayweather...not the other way around. Just like Floyd chased Oscar...he wanted a catchweight but didn't get it so he went to 154. Simple as that...Oscar didn't need Floyd, Floyd needed Oscar.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 2 2009, 08:46 PM) *

I'd rather him fight Shane anyway.
JD
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:06 PM) *
I'd rather him fight Shane anyway.

Me too.

I don't kill him for the Marquez fight as a comeback...but that was with the notion that Floyd was a small welter who could make something below welter to meet at something both fighters were a little more comfortable with. If he cannot make below 147, why fight Marquez at all?

D-MARV
It's all a negotiating ploy.
provo
I heard this fight was at 147 along time ago already that marquez agreed ,I could of swore I read that on maxboxing. This fight will happen, and Mayweather vs Pac in May 2010!
And imo 147 or 143 or whatever ,Marquez still has no Shot in hell to win this fight , I like marquez but I feel he's going to get destroyed,mayweather wins this by knockout and dominates this fight cause pac couldn't!
Mayweather vs Gatti part 2 coming Sept.
Keith
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 2 2009, 09:12 PM) *
I heard this fight was at 147 along time ago already that marquez agreed ,I could of swore I read that on maxboxing. This fight will happen, and Mayweather vs Pac in May 2010!
And imo 147 or 143 or whatever ,Marquez still has no Shot in hell to win this fight , I like marquez but I feel he's going to get destroyed,mayweather wins this by knockout and dominates this fight cause pac couldn't!

And we wouldnt expect any different from your Floyd nuthuggin mouth. jester.gif
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:11 PM) *
It's all a negotiating ploy.

I don't think there is anything left to negotiate - the fight in signed, scheduled, and the purses are set.

I am more apt to think he is setting a precedent for the potential Pacquiao showdown...and maybe getting below 147 is harder than Floyd expected. He is over 30 now.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 2 2009, 08:12 PM) *

Wow, that's a big call considering Floyd's been inactive for nearly two years. I think he'll win too but Marquez ain't no Gatti.
D-MARV
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 2 2009, 09:12 PM) *

Anything less than that and Floyd will be bashed...
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 2 2009, 09:14 PM) *
And we wouldnt expect any different from your Floyd nuthuggin mouth.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Box in Hand
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 2 2009, 08:14 PM) *
And we wouldnt expect any different from your Floyd nuthuggin mouth.

OUCH! black eye.gif
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 2 2009, 09:27 PM) *
OUCH! black eye.gif

I really meant it in the nicest possible way. rolleyes_anim.gif
Box in Hand
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 2 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I really meant it in the nicest possible way. rolleyes_anim.gif

Right, I caught on to the niceness.

Seriously though, what's with this new trend in boxing. Someone help me out here but did the OG's of the game i.e, Leonard, Hearns, Robinson, Chavez, etc. ever pull this kind of crap with weight?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 2 2009, 08:30 PM) *

That's right, no one forced Marquez to agree to the conditions.
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 2 2009, 09:36 PM) *
Right, I caught on to the niceness.

Seriously though, what's with this new trend in boxing. Someone help me out here but did the OG's of the game i.e, Leonard, Hearns, Robinson, Chavez, etc. ever pull this kind of crap with weight?

I think it has something to do with the championship belts and the 4 major organizations desire not to unify them. They seemed to mean much more before. The goals was to be the champ in your division and thus the money would come your way. Now it seems fighters dont have to hold the belt to make the dough.
Waybetter
Make a long story short....this is going to be a Great fight....
no matter what weight they fight at...
im guaratee u this...
MARQUEZ WILL WEIGH MORE THAN FLOYD...
Floyd trains to hard...and the most he might rehydrate up is 3/4 pounds over his weight at the time of the fight(not the wiegh in)...
nacho talkin shit..."IF they were to fight at 147, Floyd going to Rehydrate to 160".....i use to respect Nacho
but dat was some stupid shit he said...hands down...floyd is the faster fighter....but i dont know who the harder hitter is....
For Marquez to win...he got to go for broke.....head movement..hands up...step to floyds left....avoid the overhand right...and guard the left hook....
dats to much for him to do that night....so he will loose this fight
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Waybetter @ Jul 2 2009, 08:46 PM) *
im guaratee u this...
Floyd trains to hard...and the most he might rehydrate up is 3/4 pounds over his weight at the time of the fight(not the wiegh in)...
nacho talkin shit..."IF they were to fight at 147, Floyd going to Rehydrate to 160".....i use to respect Nacho
but dat was some stupid shit he said...hands down...floyd is the faster fighter....but i dont know who the harder hitter is....
For Marquez to win...he got to go for broke.....head movement..hands up...step to floyds left....avoid the overhand right...and guard the left hook....

Yeah, I don't think Floyd's ever weighed 160 not even during his hiatus. From what I can see, Marquez is training for strength so he can break through Floyd's shell (Good Luck)!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 3 2009, 01:14 AM) *
...and maybe getting below 147 is harder than Floyd expected. He is over 30 now.

I hope he struggles to make weight & his kidneys fail. I really do.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 2 2009, 08:51 PM) *

I was waiting for your hate filled bantor to grace these pages. It's so thick I can barely see now.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 2 2009, 09:14 PM) *
I don't think there is anything left to negotiate - the fight in signed, scheduled, and the purses are set.

I am more apt to think he is setting a precedent for the potential Pacquiao showdown...and maybe getting below 147 is harder than Floyd expected. He is over 30 now.

LOL... I was talking about a potential Pacquiao fight.

And the weight isn't an issue for Floyd. He's at 150 now.
EirbinX
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 2 2009, 09:51 PM) *
Nice
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Waybetter @ Jul 3 2009, 02:46 AM) *
im guaratee u this...

English would be nice not half baked ebonics. Secondly you need to learn reading comprehension it will not only help you with what you read but also with what you type.

..."IF they were to fight at 147, Floyd going to Rehydrate to 160".....i use to respect Nacho

Nacho was quotes as saying

"if the fight is allowed to take place at that weight, Floyd could rise to 160-pounds by the time he enters the ring, or more."

See the part where he said "could" not "going". There is a big difference between the two. Regardless of how much he hydrates after weigh in the fact is that he is older & may make 147 & put on another 10 lbs after weigh in.

Since Floyd can naturally make the weight with ease as a lot of people think why not make it a true old school fight & weigh in on the day of the fight?
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 2 2009, 09:57 PM) *
LOL... I was talking about a potential Pacquiao fight.

And the weight isn't an issue for Floyd. He's at 150 now.

You should have said that then.

If the weight is not an issue, then it should remain where it was initially set at...pretty simple.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 2 2009, 11:38 PM) *
You should have said that then.

If the weight is not an issue, then it should remain where it was initially set at...pretty simple.

Was it initially set at 143/144 officially?
JD
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 2 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Was it initially set at 143/144 officially?

I thought 144 or 145...never 143.

King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 3 2009, 12:41 AM) *
I thought 144 or 145...never 143.

Oh aight, just curious cause nothing was ever set in stone. People just kept speculating and I never bothered to find out until I seen something was official.
The CEO
Not as much of a mismatch as Hatton-Pacquiao was though....lol

I'm tellin' ya....Marquez will lose...but he'll make it competitive at times....doesn't matter if it's at 143, 44, OR 47.........there will be people saying he "hung" with Mayweather.
King Eugene
Its official...no less than 143 and no more than 144

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20908
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.