Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welter tourney in a perfect world
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
EpTXCHAMP
with Dan over at espn reporting a possible super middle tourney got to thinking what would a welter tourney play out like? I know with promoters and greed we all will probably never see the say but i would like a seed format such as :

1)sugar shane vs 8)Zab
2)floyd vs 7)collazo
3)cotto vs 6)clottey
4)pac man vs 5) berto

winner of 1 & 10 facing winner of 4 & 5 winner of 2&7 vs winner of 3&6
note: no double elimination lose and you go home! ha

before Pac lovers go crazy with him at 4 this is a WELTER tourney which pac has never fought at so his resume would only get him the 4 seed. note: no bull crap catch weights for this tourney if pac didnt get enough calcium as a child and is the height of a sixth grader thats his fault lol

So who do you got taking it all? and winners of each fight?

who would ya'll have winning?
Byrd Man
Shane over Zab
Floyd over Collazo
Cotto over Clottey
Pac over Berto

Shane vs. Pac = Pac
Floyd vs. Cotto = Floyd

Pac vs. Floyd = Toss up. I'd like to see Pac-man win, but this fight could go either way. Especially with all the time off Floyd's had.
Keith
Well in a hypothetical welter tourney, I am sure PWill would enter himself. but based just on what you suggested as possible seedings...

Shane over Zab
Floyd over Collazo
Cotto over Clottey
Pac over Berto

Shane over Pac
Floyd over Cotto

Shane over Floyd

Of course, looking at my signature, people may claim I am a Shane nuthugger. To be perfectly honest, I think Shane is not just a welter, I think he is a BIG welter. People may disagree with that but he fought at 54 for a few years and he packs a big wallop at 47. And he is not particularly slow. People still think of him as a little guy who came up from 35. He is the tallest guy of those 8. He could get outboxed at times, but ultimately I dont think any of the names on that list want to trades blows with the man. Now if PWill was involved...
torvix2000
Pac isn't a welterweight. So, he shouldn't be included in the tournament. Sure, he is fighting Cotto. But it's not a tournament.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jul 5 2009, 12:20 AM) *
Pac isn't a welterweight. So, he shouldn't be included in the tournament. Sure, he is fighting Cotto. But it's not a tournament.

Whats funny though is that even though Pac my not be a true welterweight he may still be able to beat most of the fighters mentioned. Thats how great a fighter he is.
lloyd mayflower
For all i enjoyed Shanes destruction of the big cheat, im not so sure about whether hes the top man at WW like most seem to think just now. Remember he turned in a bit of a stinker against Mayorga previously and looked his age in that fight till the last few seconds. Id love to see him win a WW tournament but he really needs to get a fight lined up and keep active instead of all this bitching aboout Pac taking on Cotto.
Keith
That was at 54. And Mayorga was like 170 the night of the fight. Mayorga isnt an elite fighter and you could argue that Shane looked ordinary for most of the fight, but Shane proved my point... He packs a wallop. Shane wasnt outclassed by Cotto either, that was about as close as a UD can get. He put a healthy whoopin on Collazo. He destroyed Margs. Imo, Shan has a pretty solid body of work over the last 2 years. He has the best chin of that bunch, and the biggest punch. That forces every other fighter at welter to outbox him. Its certainly possible, I just dont think its as easy to do with Nasim as his trainer. The 3 big names of the bunch (Pac, Cotto, PBF) dont seem to be in a rush to fight him, and I think thats says something as well.
lloyd mayflower
I agree with you on most of that except about the looking ordinary against mayorga, i thought he looked outright shitty and was heading for a defeat. However im sure you would agree that at this point in his career, with all the other top contenders having something lined up, and shane not having fought since january, sitting on his arse talking himself up is doing him no favours.

Dont get me wrong, id love to see him whip pac then Floyd, but at his age, each long lay off could be the one that turns him from big puncher to punching bag
Keith
Ya Shane is getting up there. They said the same thing when he fought Collazo. And then again when he fought Cotto. Then again when he fought Margs. He keeps himself in very good physical condition and I dont think he fights like he is 37 or 38. But you are correct, I dont think this extended layoff is a good thing...maybe not bad, but definitely not good.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 4 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Well in a hypothetical welter tourney, I am sure PWill would enter himself. but based just on what you suggested as possible seedings...

Shane over Zab
Floyd over Collazo
Cotto over Clottey
Pac over Berto

Shane over Pac
Floyd over Cotto

Shane over Floyd

Of course, looking at my signature, people may claim I am a Shane nuthugger. To be perfectly honest, I think Shane is not just a welter, I think he is a BIG welter. People may disagree with that but he fought at 54 for a few years and he packs a big wallop at 47. And he is not particularly slow. People still think of him as a little guy who came up from 35. He is the tallest guy of those 8. He could get outboxed at times, but ultimately I dont think any of the names on that list want to trades blows with the man. Now if PWill was involved...

true but i wouldnt want to see a drained p-will his three last fights have been at 160-154

shanes layoff is starting to worry me If he would take ANY fight hell fighting even quintana would be helpful for him as for everyone else the fight with mayo is still in the back of my mind too. i would feel confident to pick a winner of this tourney but i dont disagree with a shane vs floyd final
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Jul 5 2009, 01:22 PM) *
true but i wouldnt want to see a drained p-will his three last fights have been at 160-154

shanes layoff is starting to worry me If he would take ANY fight hell fighting even quintana would be helpful for him as for everyone else the fight with mayo is still in the back of my mind too. i would feel confident to pick a winner of this tourney but i dont disagree with a shane vs floyd final

ive always said shane should have taken the berto fight...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.