Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odlanier Solis vs. Kevin Johnson
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
i think its an interesting fight so i thought i'd post the link... i give the edge to johnson due to his boxing skills... should be a better fight than people might think.. any thoughts?

johnson vs. solis
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I haven't been that impressed with Solis yet. He seems to come in overweight, and just doesn't seem to be the answer in the heavyweight division. Johnson has a wonderful jab, and some excellent boxing skills. I've thought this guy has been pretty good for the last few years, and now he'll get a decent fight out of it. I see Johnson dominating the fight with his long jab and footwork. Maybe I'm overrating Johnson, but I think he's really good. Good matchmaking though, I'm sick of seeing young heavyweights just climb their way through the ranks fighting bums.
Romulus9
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 7 2009, 06:05 PM) *
I haven't been that impressed with Solis yet. He seems to come in overweight, and just doesn't seem to be the answer in the heavyweight division. Johnson has a wonderful jab, and some excellent boxing skills. I've thought this guy has been pretty good for the last few years, and now he'll get a decent fight out of it. I see Johnson dominating the fight with his long jab and footwork. Maybe I'm overrating Johnson, but I think he's really good. Good matchmaking though, I'm sick of seeing young heavyweights just climb their way through the ranks fighting bums.

I was anxious to see Johnson fight Monte Barrett a while back but Barrett couldn't fight and Johnson beat Devin Vargas on short notice. I think Johnson has a nice jab but he's still green. What's bad here is that you look at almost every prospect and say that he "just doesn't seem to be the answer in the heavyweight division." It's infuriating. You know, Greg Page never really materialized in the fashion that he should have, and was expected to, but people would be falling all over themselves about him in this era. Same for a guy like Pinklon Thomas, or a focused Tim Witherspoon (pre-Don King debacle), or Tony Tubbs. These are guys from the maligned musical belts era in the mid-1980s, and yet they put the division to shame now.

Yikes.

Back to this fight, I'll take Johnson, but I'm not all too excited about the result. One of these guys needs to step up and make a big move. Arreola (with HBO's apparent backing), Johnson, Povetkin, someone... ANYONE... just DO SOMETHING! My goodness, we've got John Ruiz calling out Chris Arreola about comments made at a press conference. The more I see the ridiculous state of the division right now, the more respect I'm starting to have for the Quiet Boring Man. At least he's got the stones to fight someone.

[ /rant]
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 7 2009, 02:40 PM) *
i think its an interesting fight so i thought i'd post the link... i give the edge to johnson due to his boxing skills... should be a better fight than people might think.. any thoughts?

johnson vs. solis

I've seen Solis fight a few times and I really haven't been all that impressed, but the man gets the job done for a reason. With Johnson I've seen only fight once when he fought Vargas and I came away pleasantly surprised. He seemed to have a good jab and good hand speed with some power, but he seems easy to hit. As Vargas was landing some shots. I think I'll take Johnson in this one, but it wont be easy at all. Solis just seems like a lazy fighter. I got a better fight for everybody. How about a Chambers Vs Johnson fight. I'll take Chambers outclassing Johnson all day long in a good fight.
BGv2.0
Solis will most likely cancel this fight like he has ANY significant fight he has ever had set up....

The guy is wasting away what few years he has left even in this SHITTY HW division!
Blayde
I pick Solis. He will probably be too fat and slow in his legs and I like Johnson, but Johnson always allows his opponent to come close and work while Johnson lays against the ropes doing nothing. Solis will pressure him and shine in these moments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.