Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Super Middleweight Tourney is On!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
I'm so excited I could shit. Check out the lineup. There are a few snags like who will be left to fight Pavlik but man there is some good stuff about to happen.

By Rick Reeno

A few weeks back, I reported that Showtime was very interested in putting together a super middleweight tournament with the biggest names at the weight. Over the last few days, BoxingScene.com has spoken with numbers high-level sources who are close to the situation and it appears that Showtime is going to move forward with the super middleweight tournament.

The negotiations for this tournament have been very secretive and some of the information I was able to dig up will make Ken Hershman [Senior Vice President and General Manager, Sports & Event Programming at Showtime] wonder if I tapped his phone line.

From what I was able to find out, Showtime plans to enter into multi-fight agreements with undefeated IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, WBA super middleweight champion Mikkel Kessler, former undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor, undefeated contender Andre Ward, undefeated contender Andre Dirrell and undefeated WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch.

This will NOT be an elimination style tournament.

Once all of the contracts have been signed and every fighter is officially on board, Showtime plans to match them in a round robin tournament with some form of a point system.

If everything goes as expected, the following fights are being discussed for this tournament.

Arthur Abraham vs. Jermain Taylor in October in Germany
Carl Froch vs. Andre Dirrell in October in the UK.
Mikkel Kessler vs. Andre Ward in November.
Arthur Abraham vs. Andre Dirrell in America in January 2010
Mikkel Kessler vs. Carl Froch in Europe in March 2010
Andre Ward vs. Jermain Taylor in America in April/May 2010
Andre Dirrell vs. Andre Ward in America in September 2010
Arthur Abraham vs. Carl Froch in November 2010, with Mikkel Kessler vs. Jermain Taylor taking place around the same time.

After those bouts takes place and the points are tallied up, there will be semi-finals and a final tournament bout.

As far as Kessler’s legal dispute with Mogens Palle, I’ve heard that some form of an agreement was reached with Palle to allow Kessler to participate. I’ve been told that Palle will not be part of the promotion, but if everything comes together as expected - Dan Goossen, Gary Shaw, Lou DiBella, Sauerland Event and Mick Hennessey will be involved.

Some other points of interest.

1. Abraham would vacate his title and move up to 168.
2. Kelly Pavlik would be left without any significant opponents at 160 or 168. The only options I would see for him is the winner of Lucian Bute vs. Librado Andrade or Paul Williams.
3. You would have to applaud the promoters involved if everything is able to get worked out. The tournament would be a global event with some of the biggest names in America, Germany, UK and Denmark.
JLUVBABY
lets hope this takes place.. great idea and some very solid fights.. i dont know why i get the feelings it doesnt come together quite like its planned...
D-MARV
I guess we will get Bute-Green in 2010.
lloyd mayflower
It is a great idea. If i was to pick a hole in it tho it would be that with all these fighters knowing who they are facing in there next few bouts, could it not be done over a shorter timespan. The time fighters generally leave between fight (with the exception of injury/bad cuts) is something that really pisses me off. Theres no reason why each fighter couldnt fight every say 2, 3 months max. This would probably help to keep up public interest and excitement as well.

But maybe im just being impatient. Probably wont be able to get it in the fuckin UK anyway so i dont know why im bothering!!
King Eugene
I wont get excited til everything is signed, sealed, and waiting to be delivered.
Keith
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 9 2009, 09:25 PM) *
I wont get excited til everything is signed, sealed, and waiting to be delivered.

I agree... and even more so I feel like this round robin style will be very complicated to see through. Its A LOT of fights to pull off when you take training camp injuries or bad cuts needing to heal into account. I guess any tournament is better then no tournament. There should be some very exciting fights on the way.
thehype
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 9 2009, 09:25 PM) *

I think you can start getting excited...

SHOWTIME SPORTS TO MAKE GROUND-BREAKING BOXING ANNOUNCEMENT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN THIS MONDAY, JULY 13

WHO:

IBF Middleweight Champion Arthur Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs)

Top-ranked 2004 U.S. Olympic Medalist Andre Dirrell (18-0, 13 KOs)

WBC Super Middleweight Champion Carl Froch (25-0, 20 KOs)

WBA 168-pound Champion Mikkel Kessler (41-1, 31 KOs)

Former Undisputed 160-Pound Champion Jermain Taylor (28-3-1, 17 KOs)

WBC/WBO No. 1-Ranked 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward (19-0, 12 KOs)

PLUS, Senior VP and GM, SHOWTIME Sports Ken Hershman

Promoters Lou DiBella of DiBella Entertainment; Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor

Promotions; Mick Hennessy of Hennessy Sports; Wilfred and Kalle Sauerland of

Sauerland Event; Gary Shaw of Gary Shaw Productions, LLC

WHAT:

In the past week, rumors on boxing’s news sites have been swirling: “In a word, wow.” (boxingwatchers.com); “…an audacious and ambitious plan… fight fans will be the happy beneficiaries of (SHOWTIME’s) smart game plan.” (ESPN.com); "There won’t be any losers… the fighters will all get a chance to show their talent to wide audience over and over again….” (BoxingNews.com); "It's a brilliant concept in many ways.'' (MaxBoxing.com); "This is the sort of thing boxing needs…" (BBC.com)

The six fighters, who have a staggering, combined record of 161-4-1 with 117 knockouts, their respective promoters, and Hershman will all be on hand for this historic press conference.
Method
Cant believe Allen Green got shut out of that.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (thehype @ Jul 10 2009, 10:33 AM) *
I think you can start getting excited...

SHOWTIME SPORTS TO MAKE GROUND-BREAKING BOXING ANNOUNCEMENT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN THIS MONDAY, JULY 13

WHO:

IBF Middleweight Champion Arthur Abraham (30-0, 24 KOs)

Top-ranked 2004 U.S. Olympic Medalist Andre Dirrell (18-0, 13 KOs)

WBC Super Middleweight Champion Carl Froch (25-0, 20 KOs)

WBA 168-pound Champion Mikkel Kessler (41-1, 31 KOs)

Former Undisputed 160-Pound Champion Jermain Taylor (28-3-1, 17 KOs)

WBC/WBO No. 1-Ranked 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward (19-0, 12 KOs)

PLUS, Senior VP and GM, SHOWTIME Sports Ken Hershman

Promoters Lou DiBella of DiBella Entertainment; Dan Goossen of Goossen Tutor

Promotions; Mick Hennessy of Hennessy Sports; Wilfred and Kalle Sauerland of

Sauerland Event; Gary Shaw of Gary Shaw Productions, LLC

WHAT:

In the past week, rumors on boxing’s news sites have been swirling: “In a word, wow.” (boxingwatchers.com); “…an audacious and ambitious plan… fight fans will be the happy beneficiaries of (SHOWTIME’s) smart game plan.” (ESPN.com); "There won’t be any losers… the fighters will all get a chance to show their talent to wide audience over and over again….” (BoxingNews.com); "It's a brilliant concept in many ways.'' (MaxBoxing.com); "This is the sort of thing boxing needs…" (BBC.com)

The six fighters, who have a staggering, combined record of 161-4-1 with 117 knockouts, their respective promoters, and Hershman will all be on hand for this historic press conference.

I'd like to see Kessler vs. Abraham in the final. Not sure who to root for in that one but I'd be pulling for Kessler to win the tournament. I'm American but don't think Taylor has a chance to win this thing.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 10 2009, 12:03 PM) *

yeah, it's weird that there's some names that should be included that aren't, including green and bute, but taylor is there, who is 0-2 at super middle. it's a great thing, tho. i just hope that they get all the super middles that should be there participate.
thehype
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 10 2009, 12:03 PM) *

Who?

dntknw.gif
D-MARV
Allan Green coud very well beat everybody in this tournament.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 10 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Allan Green coud very well beat everybody in this tournament.

Man, let's focus on who's in the tournament. I say Kessler takes the whole thing en route to handing Abraham his first L.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jul 10 2009, 01:47 PM) *
yeah, it's weird that there's some names that should be included that aren't, including green and bute, but taylor is there, who is 0-2 at super middle. it's a great thing, tho. i just hope that they get all the super middles that should be there participate.

Actually Taylor beat Lacy
JLUVBABY
i agree that allen green would have made this tournament a lot more interesting...
The Original MrFactor
I think this is great for boxing... I'm wondering if all purses and everything is signed sealed in the beginning or will we have an issue where 3 fights down the line they are negotiating how much fighter A should make?

Who is everybody picking to take it?? I like Abraham to take it all... I think both Andre's will also do very well...
JonnyBlaze
I think Kessler or Ward will win it..

Bute and Green would of been nice to have in there too..
Method
You can focus on the tournament all you want. Just because you pour syrup over shit doesn't make pancakes. The division sucks. its a bunch of no name (for the most part) Euros. Impossible for me to be jazzed up about this. The size and magnitude of it registers the whole idea moot anyway. A Perpetual round robin. This tournament is gonna take near two years (or so) to sort out, and that's IF there are no injuries, disputes, etc. And again, what are the qualifications for inclusion.

As far as Im concerned this could just as easily be going on in the heavyweight division with all I care about supermiddleweight.

Put together a tourney at Welter or Jr Middle and then come talk to me.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 11 2009, 08:53 AM) *
You can focus on the tournament all you want. Just because you pour syrup over shit doesn't make pancakes. The division sucks. its a bunch of no name (for the most part) Euros. Impossible for me to be jazzed up about this. The size and magnitude of it registers the whole idea moot anyway. A Perpetual round robin. This tournament is gonna take near two years (or so) to sort out, and that's IF there are no injuries, disputes, etc. And again, what are the qualifications for inclusion.

As far as Im concerned this could just as easily be going on in the heavyweight division with all I care about supermiddleweight.

Put together a tourney at Welter or Jr Middle and then come talk to me.

clapping.gif

FINALLY...someone who shares my sentiments.....I wanna show you a post I "saw" before this tournament was announced, Meth...

A vocal, Kessler superfan was talking about how Super Middle was the "GREATEST" division...and this guy took it to 'em...lol

"Sure...NOWADAYS....168 IS "a deep division"....deep with a bunch of fighters all around the same skill level (B-C Class) that is.....none of them really that much better than the other.....this DOES, however, create savory matchups (meaning possible bouts that will be fun to watch).....

but don't EVEN try to act like this is some killer division chock full of talent.....168 is traditionally a safehouse wasteland....designed to favor the lacking....created to basically give the Euros a chance at getting some belts....and sitting on them in some cases.....Ottke, Calzaghe.

so basically....you want a ranking for Kessler?....well...he's near the top of that division alright....and as I've pointed out...that is like froth around the top of a turdpile.

and you also need to know this....you won't see most of those so called champions at 68 (Ballsack, Bootay, Kessler) in a hurry to fight Ward and Dirrell...who are only B+, nearing A- level boxers themselves....Froch might...because he sincerely WANTS to prove himself...."
JD
Allan Green is begging to be stretched. The way he pops his head up when he punches, I do not think he would have lasted the distance with Kessler, Froch or Abraham.

The CEO
Aw, Fitz...you just wanna disagree to disagree...lol

Which of those other tween divisions have been infested with and dominated by Euros?...did any of those other ones have a Euro sitting on their belts for years with 20 something defenses?...168 has had 2 of them.

Look at the history of Super Middle...it's THE Euro Division....seriously....since its inception...where have the overwhelming majority of its champions came from?...that's right...Euroland....laugh.gif
BigG
QUOTE (The C.E.O. @ Jul 11 2009, 08:17 PM) *
Aw, Fitz...you just wanna disagree to disagree...lol

Which of those other tween divisions have been infested with and dominated by Euros?...did any of those other ones have a Euro sitting on their belts for years with 20 something defenses?...168 has had 2 of them.

Look at the history of Super Middle...it's THE Euro Division....seriously....since its inception...where have the overwhelming majority of its champions came from?...that's right...Euroland.... laugh.gif

laugh.gif C.E.O...I agree o_o
MarzB
I think it's a good idea and I like the matchups.
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 12 2009, 12:02 AM) *
No, I think it was a coincidence that a lot of euro fighters fight around 168. Personally, I just don't think it went something like this;

"We need to make a division for the average euro's to dominate in. I know, lets make a division at 168, but we will also make 130,140,154 and so on just so it doesn't look obvious".

laugh.gif

Call me crazy, but I just don't think it was designed for that purpose, it just unfolded that way.

You're forgetting one thing...all those other divisions were created a long, long time before Super Middle was....SM officially came about in the mid '80s...well after America had already established World Dominance in Boxing...lol

Yep...it's like Boxing said, "Look...I know you lesser countries are in dire need of titles...sooooo...you can have this division right here.....you guys can fight each other over there and get some belts and a little notoriety...but just so you know....every once in a while....one of America's best at their best is gonna pass through and own your uhhhh...champions (Boxing chuckles)...you know...for the easy belts and leverage they could provide for the more serious divisions surrounding yours..."

JD
I happen to like 168 a lot.

There are some good fighters who just are not well known. Mix and match their styles, and you are likely to get entertaining fights.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 12 2009, 09:54 AM) *
I happen to like 168 a lot.

There are some good fighters who just are not well known. Mix and match their styles, and you are likely to get entertaining fights.

I totally agree and I think it should be obvious to everyone here. This tourney is a great idea.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 13 2009, 12:02 AM) *
Agreed. Don't know where people are getting the idea that it's a bad division. Better than a lot of them.

I agree... I think its full of young fresh faces. Its also stacked with some pretty decently skilled guys. this division could be very interesting in a few years, if they all stay. Not to mention that Chad Dawson can probably still make 168 if he wanted to.
Big Slim Sweet
I like the matchups a lot too. And I really like Ward and Dirrell being involved. Put up or shut up time for those two.

Even if you don't care much for 168, if this tournament comes through the way it's planned and is successful, we could possibly see the same thing in the future with other higher-profile divisions. There's no downside whatsoever.

I seriously doubt it comes through as planned however. Injuries are going to come into play inevitably. I also wouldn't be too shocked to see an Allen Green or Sakio Bika thrown in at some point to replace Ward or Dirrell should one of them get starched in their first fight. No way these (12 is it?) fights all go through on schedule as planned.

But it's a great idea. Gotta love the ambition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.