Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name a Fight (or Fights) That Were Better Than You Thought They Would Be
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Bruce Seldon vs. Tony Tucker,

A very good heavyweight action fight and probably Seldon's best efforts as a fighter. Both did well and it was a dead even fight at the stoppage. Tucker protested strongly. (Bout stopped because of swelling and cuts on Tucker's eyes.) I think best effort by Tucker as well.

Jack
AussieLad
Holyfield vs Ruiz... i thought i would shoot myself the next time ruiz fought, but i fell asleep before i could load the rifle
JLUVBABY
john david jackson vs. jorge castro... terry norris vs simon brown 1st fight.. foreman vs. holyfield... ricardo lopez vs. rosendo alvarez fights.... there are too many to name when i think about it...
Keith
Holyfield vs Cooper
D-MARV
Winky Wright Vs Jermain Taylor

Vitali Klitschko Vs Lennox Lewis

Berto Vs Collazo
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 10 2009, 07:59 PM) *
Winky Wright Vs Jermain Taylor

Vitali Klitschko Vs Lennox Lewis

Berto Vs Collazo

Wright vs Taylor... good one. I didnt think about that one. I thought it was going to be boring too.
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 10 2009, 08:18 PM) *
Wright vs Taylor... good one. I didnt think about that one. I thought it was going to be boring too.

Yep. That was a pretty good scrap.
True-Boxing-Fan
They are promoting the shit out of this UFC100 on spike TV. They are predicting around 1.3-1.4 million buys for it, which i think they'll get. You can count I wont be one of them, I hate the UFC. But with the Pac-Mayweather fight which I just love and hope gets made is kind of unpredictable IMO when it comes to numbers, but it could do very good numbers. I was dead set on thinking Pac-Hatton would break 1million buys. It did a very good 800,000+ buys but I was a little shocked. Maybe its the ODLH factor but i dont see the Pac-Mayweather fight not doing more than around 1.3 million max. I think it depends on how the Marquez-Mayweather fight plays out. But in truth 1.3 million buys are great numbers in these economic times. I think it could go either way on who has more buys.
True-Boxing-Fan
Excuse my last post, I accidently posted in wrong board.
Romulus9
Foreman-Schulz
Box in Hand
Tyson vs Douglas broke my heart and surprised the hell out of me. Thought that was going to be just another walk in the park for Mike. Turned out to be a masterpiece at the hands of Buster.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 10 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Tyson vs Douglas broke my heart and surprised the hell out of me. Thought that was going to be just another walk in the park for Mike. Turned out to be a masterpiece at the hands of Buster.

i hate that fight more than any other...
JonnyBlaze
Buster Douglas fought an amazing fight and whooped Tyson..I don't know why so many people ride Tyson's dick so much..He is overrated in my opinion..

A fight I can think of and goes for everyone on here is Corrales/Castillo 1..No one expected it to be an ATG fight like it became..Same for Holy/Bowe 1 and Holy/Foreman..

Archie Moore/Durelle 1..

Cunningham/Adamek..

Jack 1000
CORRALES-CASTILLO I

For me, I had a feeling that it was going to be a very good to possibly great fight going in when I previewed the match. However, did anyone honestly believe that that fight would turn into perhaps the greatest action fight of all time in the whole history of the sport!??

Personally, I rank Corrales-Castillo I as not only the greatest action fight of all time, but also one of the greatest action moments in the whole history of sports! Rest assured that no MMA match will ever COME CLOSE to what those guys did that night! For anyone that has this negative defeated attitude about, "boxing is dying" b.s or MMA is so much better." The greatest way to shut up the critics that say shit like that? Show them this fight!

I do however believe that boxing does not have the big superstars that it once had to transcend its interest from hard core fans back to mainstream public. In addition, too many PPV's and fights being forced onto HBO and Showtime. If the general public doesn't want to fork over $50 for the average PPV fight or pay $12-15/month for HBO or Showtime, they get screwed out of seeing the live boxing. I wonder if in today's harsh economy, if PPV is still the big bonanza that some promoters think it is? Showtime Championship Boxing has moved away from PPV in recent years and has done very well. Therefore, because general public people who have limited perception or knowledge of the sport don't have the guys to follow, and don't want to pay the extra money for premium cable, they come to the belief that "boxing is dying." Boxing isn't dying, but it has changed its marketability making it less affordable and accessible for the common man.

Jack
Romulus9
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 11 2009, 02:03 PM) *
I do however believe that boxing does not have the big superstars that it once had to transcend its interest from hard core fans back to mainstream public. In addition, too many PPV's and fights being forced onto HBO and Showtime. If the general public doesn't want to fork over $50 for the average PPV fight or pay $12-15/month for HBO or Showtime, they get screwed out of seeing the live boxing. I wonder if in today's harsh economy, if PPV is still the big bonanza that some promoters think it is? Showtime Championship Boxing has moved away from PPV in recent years and has done very well. Therefore, because general public people who have limited perception or knowledge of the sport don't have the guys to follow, and don't want to pay the extra money for premium cable, they come to the belief that "boxing is dying." Boxing isn't dying, but it has changed its marketability making it less affordable and accessible for the common man.

Jack

Boxing isn't dying, but we need a jumpstart in mainstream media.

There are good fights out there, accessible to anyone with cable. For instance, think back to the Darnell Wilson-Emmanuel Nwodo fight. What drama! Great fight, HUGE knockout (I thought Nwodo was dead), and on ESPN2, no less. Last night's FNF had a nice back and forth battle with Chris Henry and Shaun George (who did a mental 180 faster than anyone I've seen in a while). Unfortunately, the really big fights aren't even replayed on free TV anymore, at least not in a reasonable time frame. Think about it... there was a time when your huge fights were aired live on PPV or closed circuit, replayed on HBO or a similar medium, and THEN replayed on free TV (ABC/CBS). Now? You might get an ESPN Classic replay 5 years after the fact, complete with Bob friggin' Sheridan's crappy solo call of the action. It's not necessarily accessibility because it's there.... it's VISIBILITY. Make it easy, make it simple, make it appealing.

Networks really need to open their eyes. What would do better ratings for ESPN? Showing ANOTHER World Series of Poker 2002 replay on ESPN2 on Saturday, or a replay of the big PPV that aired two weeks earlier? I bet it's the boxing PPV, especially if their rebroadcast agreement included their own audio call with their own broadcasters. Better still, why not double or triple the budget for Friday Night Fights and get some bigger fights on the network? I mean, if they can get an occasional title fight (Urango/Ngoudjo, etc.) with this budget, amp it up a little, help the sport, and really get things going on their airwaves. Especially during the summer, instead of airing ridiculous reruns that do horrible ratings and just eat their way through budgets, why can't a network air a live title fight on a Saturday night not previously occupied by HBO or Showtime? ABC/NBC/CBS are obviously not going to get a fight with a purse for each fighter of 8 digits, but they can swing an important title fight and a co-feature with no problem. Mosley-Margarito was great... and that card would have been well within the reach of a network's budget. Same for Cotto-Clottey.

Free TV visibility is what turned UFC into a monster. If boxing can get back to its roots in that regard, there's no reason why we can't see another resurgence.

A final point: if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if, if the Tyson fight in the fall rumor is actually true, against that crappy Serbian, put THAT fight on network TV and the ratings would be absolutely insane. Think about it...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2009, 02:23 AM) *
Buster Douglas fought an amazing fight and whooped Tyson..I don't know why so many people ride Tyson's dick so much..He is overrated in my opinion..

dick riding or what ever you might call it there is no doubt that at his very best there are not to many heavies in history that beat him.... he's also loved i believe because he woke up the heavyweight division... brought back fire boxing needed at the time.. he did his part for the sport... you can argue he also fucked up his life but he kept boxing in the spotlight... rather good or bad the press it can be argued that tyson at one point and even now is the most known or one of the most known athletes or celebs in the world...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 10 2009, 07:51 PM) *
Holyfield vs Cooper

I was thinking of Moorer vs Cooper, but Holy got a bit more than he bargained for with the Cooper too... Smokin Bert Cooper!!!!!!! Shame, last time I heard about this guy, he was well into his 40's and still fighting. Also sounded almost as bad as Meldrick Taylor... Thats Copper, I'm talking about, not Holy...
Romulus9
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 11 2009, 03:23 AM) *

A fight I can think of and goes for everyone on here is Corrales/Castillo 1..No one expected it to be an ATG fight like it became..Same for Holy/Bowe 1 and Holy/Foreman..

Archie Moore/Durelle 1..

Cunningham/Adamek..

How is it that Moore/Durelle could have been better than you thought it would be, considering the fight took place three decades before you were born?

The rest I agree with.

JD
Tua - Ruiz.
Romulus9
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 12 2009, 08:19 PM) *
Tua - Ruiz.

LOL.
Big Slim Sweet
Lennox Lewis vs. Shannon Briggs
King Eugene
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jul 13 2009, 12:09 PM) *
Lennox Lewis vs. Shannon Briggs

Pretty good fight between two fit heavyweights with good records. Well atleast it looked good on paper. Lewis was rocked early too. Well it can be argued that he was off balance and Briggs just jumped on him but the fact of the matter is Lewis closed the show out in top fashion. After that second KD Briggs new it was a wrap!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (3King3 @ Jul 13 2009, 07:47 PM) *
Pretty good fight between two fit heavyweights with good records. Well atleast it looked good on paper. Lewis was rocked early too. Well it can be argued that he was off balance and Briggs just jumped on him but the fact of the matter is Lewis closed the show out in top fashion. After that second KD Briggs new it was a wrap!

Briggs had a good record but his reputation going into that fight stunk. The quit job against Darroll Wilson in his HBO debut, the gift decision against Foreman. The only reason HBO put this fight together was to make Lewis the linear champ. The general consensus was LL would KO Briggs in one round. During the pre-fight build-up Merchant said it would be almost impossible for the fight not to exceed expectations because expectations were so low.

Briggs DID rock Lewis in the first round. Then Lewis just thumped him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.