Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik on the rag about the SMW tourney
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
Completely classless comments from Kelly about the best thing to happen for boxing all year:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/jul/1...on-hbo/?pavlik

Pavlik wants to fight on HBO
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Champ has second thoughts on Showtime’s tourney; says “big-time” boxers fight on HBO.

By Joe Scalzo

YOUNGSTOWN — When Showtime announced its lineup last week for its upcoming super middleweight tournament, some boxing fans wondered, “Why wasn’t Kelly Pavlik involved?”

Initially, Pavlik said he would have been interested, but after researching the tournament over the past week, he’s changed his mind.

“Why would I be in that tournament when I’m a middleweight?” he said. “They never asked me and I never wanted to join.

“Let them beat each other up. Let them ruin their careers for peanuts.”
The round-robin tournament will include some of the biggest names in the division — Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward, Andre Dirrell — and IBF middleweight champion Arthur Abraham, who will relinquish his belt and move up.

Each fighter is guaranteed three bouts, with points awarded based on the results. (Three points for a knockout, two for a decision, one for a draw.) The top four advance to the single-elimination finals.

It’s a big career risk for what Pavlik considers a small payoff — about $3 million or $4 million for the winner, he said.

“Those guys are fighting for peanuts,” said Pavlik. “They’re going to burn their whole career and for what? Nobody watches Showtime.

“Trust me, when the winner of that tournament fights his next fight, it’ll be on HBO.”

HBO is the biggest network for boxing and most of Pavlik’s biggest fights have been on that network in recent years, including his two bouts against Taylor and his knockout of Edison Miranda.

Although Pavlik’s latest bout, a 10th-round knockout of Marco Antonio Rubio in Youngstown in February, was broadcast on independent pay-per-view, Pavlik made it clear he wants to fight for HBO.

“I like HBO,” he said. “I will fight for HBO. All the big-time fighters like Floyd Mayweather, [Manny] Pacquiao, [Miguel] Cotto, Shane Mosley, the Klitschkos — they all fight on HBO.”

Although Pavlik has been out of the spotlight in recent months, he still considers himself one of the five biggest names in boxing.

Some have argued that he needs to do a better job promoting himself on a national level, particularly if he wants to earn bigger paydays, but Pavlik disagrees.

“I’ve got enough going on right now,” he said. “There’s not much more that I can do just by me making an appearance with the camera shining on my face.”

Although several middleweights are eager to fight Pavlik, he has set his sights on WBA champion Felix Sturm. (Pavlik holds the WBC and WBO belts, while Abraham’s IBF belt is up for grabs.)

Problem is, HBO recently offered just $2 million for a Pavlik-Sturm bout and Pavlik said he’s not willing to fight for such a low figure.

Although that statement may not sit well with some fans, Pavlik would likely clear about $300,000 from that fight after taxes and other deductions. That’s not enough for a title fight, he said, and said it’s no different from LeBron James wanting a maximum contract from the Cleveland Cavaliers.

He wants to be paid what he’s worth, he said.

“I fought my way up for seven years, I’ve fought for $3 million and $2.5 million a fight, why decline that much?” he said. “Yeah, the economy is bad, but there’s still more money out there.

“That’s like [Browns quarterback] Brady Quinn playing for $300 a week. It’s bull[crap].”

Pavlik said he’s content to stay at 160 pounds for a few years before moving up in weight to fight the winner of the Showtime tournament.

“Whoever the winner is,” he said, “I’ll kick his [butt].”
D-MARV
Yep. I saw this shit earlier. Pavlik has turned into some type of Prima donna just like his stable mate Manny Pac.

I hope these two get bashed as much as Floyd has in the past.

King Eugene
Crybaby.

He sounds like the dude that didn't get picked for the last spot over the dude with the goggles and short shorts in a streetball pick up game.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 15 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Pavlik is a stupid pale pasty son of a whore and I told you fuckers from day one he sucks and is a fucking cunt. I hope his brain bleeds one day.

Good luck with the Mora type of fighters you aids patient.

LMAO...Stevenski hack into your profile?
The Original MrFactor
He has no excuse for not fighting Abraham... These other guys are going on to glory while Pavliks goes up against jr middleweights... Hey, maybe Allen green can go down to 160 and smack him around...

Also Crazy that homeboy disses 3 to 4mil, while making 2-3 mill his last go round...
Byrd Man

JonnyBlaze
Geez,he's got a mad thing for HBO..

He shouldn't be bashin anyone who is willing to fight the best..A lot of guys fight in the amateurs for pride,so why would that not carry over??They wanna be the best or at least be able to say they were in with the best..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 15 2009, 04:23 AM) *
Pavlik is a stupid pale pasty son of a whore and I told you fuckers from day one he sucks and is a fucking cunt. I hope his brain bleeds one day.

I can understand Fitz's sentiments as I hold the same feelings on other fighters but Pavlik does have a point. Why should he take 3 fights for $3-4 million when he earnt $2M for one fight & he is the true middleweight champion who can make a million per fight fighting middleweights.

I like the idea of this tournament & think it is a wonderful idea but as a 160lb fighter why should he even be thought of as one of the 168lb tournament fighters? As the true 160lb champion he should stay busy & make his mandatories & fight teh winner of the tournament as "Undisputed vs Undisputed" at 168. Then Fitz can know Pavlik is betting beaten bloody & stretchered by the best supermiddleweight in the world.
Method
This is DEFINITELY NOT the best thing to happen to boxing. This shit is kinda wack, actually.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 15 2009, 09:10 AM) *
This is DEFINITELY NOT the best thing to happen to boxing. This shit is kinda wack, actually.

What makes it kinda wack? Who should be added to the mix that actually deserves to be there? Green? This is one of the best ideas in years & having different promoters agree on staging this event makes it even more appealing. Some of the format may kinda suck (I think it should be a 8 man elimination tourny) but this is a GOOD thing IMO.

Method
What's wack about it is that it basically includes everyone in the division (sans Green, for whatever reason, and Lacy). Hell, they coulda/shoulda threw Paul Williams in there).

Basically, unlike any other major sports tournament, you don't have to achieve anything to get to qualify. You just have to be a live body. You or I could likely submit an application and be accepted into it (provided we could make weight).
Second, it's gonna take WAY TOO long to hash out. Third, be willing to bet that after the first round or so, people are already gonna forget that there's even a tournament going on. Fourth, what is the likelihood that this goes off without a hitch (or hitches) - in the form of NO INJURIES, NO CONTRACTUAL or MONETARY DISPUTES, etc. Fourth, WTF are they fighting for, $3 - 4M? Make it interesting. Make the prize $7-10M. Finally, THE DIVISION SUCKS. That is my opinion, and I know a bunch of you guys like it, so im not gonna shit on personal tastes, but in my opinion the division fucking blows, and I think that the weak prize is indicative of that.

Like I said, and I maintain, you really wanna make a statement, make a tourney at 147 or 154. THEN you're doing something. However, as far as I'm concerned, this is a non-event - 2 more years of meaningless super middleweight fights, and two (three, if you wanna count Williams, who says he can fight there) players at 168 not even involved.
Keith
Pavlik is an ass for shitting on the tournament. Just a complete an utter shitty thing to do. Why he cares how much those fighters are pocketing is beyond me... especially if he didnt want to be in it. Just shut your mouth and worry about your own career. He is right for staying at 160. He is still young and should clean out his division and wait for a super fight to materialize. There was a guy named Hopkins that did that a while back and it turned out pretty well for him.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 15 2009, 12:41 PM) *
Like I said, and I maintain, you really wanna make a statement, make a tourney at 147 or 154. THEN you're doing something. However, as far as I'm concerned, this is a non-event - 2 more years of meaningless super middleweight fights.

Look at the bitching & moaning currently in the 147lb division. Can you honestly see Cotto, Floyd, Pac, Mosley, Cottey & Margarito all agreeing to terms on a tournament? laugh.gif That would take 10 years to make happen.
Method
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 15 2009, 09:06 AM) *
Look at the bitching & moaning currently in the 147lb division. Can you honestly see Cotto, Floyd, Pac, Mosley, Cottey & Margarito all agreeing to terms on a tournament? laugh.gif That would take 10 years to make happen.

Not my point. Point is, that's the only type of tourney I would be excited/interested in...not this shit going on at 168. Respectufully, to all those in to it, that is just my opinion.

Guarandamnteed that you throw $30M prize for a welter tourney and they'd fall the fuck in line.
KookedKrack
I stopped liking him and his whole team after that shit they pulled after bhop whooped that ass
Box in Hand
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Jul 15 2009, 09:30 AM) *
I stopped liking him and his whole team after that shit they pulled after bhop whooped that ass

I'm with you on that one. First Pavlik's team say they're going to be the first to knock Hopkins out (The crack they smoked must have been some strong Nino Brown type shit). Then Hopkins puts on a Master Class Boxing lesson and they claim Pavlik was sick. Gimme a break! This dude is turning just like so many other boxers when they start feeling themselves a little too much. I for one am exitied because this brings something different to the table in boxing. I think the last tourney was back in 2001 when Hopkins won. Fuck Pavlik and his one dimensional ass.
Big Slim Sweet
We'll see what Pavlik has to say about Showtime after he loses another fight and HBO won't have anything more to do with him.
JLUVBABY
i think pavlik is suffering from bad advice... he should have been had a fight... does he even have a fight scheduled?... he's talking bout these 6 guys but they are about to make all kinds of money and the winner will be or shall i say should be more of a recognised name... the winner will def. be in line for major pay days...
Method
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 15 2009, 12:57 PM) *
the winner will def. be in line for major pay days...

Ain't NO major paydays gonna be had at '68...at least not in the US.

When was the last time anyone was getting major paid at '68?
salvador
I can't imagine why Pavlik isn't fighting Abraham, unless he's afraid of Abraham.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 14 2009, 11:23 PM) *

Tell us how you really feel.

lol...
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 15 2009, 07:41 AM) *
Like I said, and I maintain, you really wanna make a statement, make a tourney at 147 or 154. THEN you're doing something. However, as far as I'm concerned, this is a non-event - 2 more years of meaningless super middleweight fights, and two (three, if you wanna count Williams, who says he can fight there) players at 168 not even involved.

I think 168 is deeper than 154...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 15 2009, 11:57 AM) *
i think pavlik is suffering from bad advice... he should have been had a fight... does he even have a fight scheduled?

I think Pavlik and Arum are having issues.
D-MARV
This tournament fucking rocks. I feel bad for Green because he definetly belongs in my opinion but there's other fights out their for him like Bika, or Bute-Andrade winner or even the other titlest. What's his name? BallSack?

I doubt Pavlik fights him. Kelly will probably put his name in the Pacquiao sweepstakes.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 15 2009, 07:45 PM) *
Yeah, not sure how a tournament at 154 would go. Forrest, Mora, Spinks, Williams? They would probably be banking on 147 fighters to move up to 154 to make it any good.

Too bad Kirkland is an idiot and Angulo got beat. Those two would have made that tournament worth watching.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 15 2009, 03:14 AM) *
I can understand Fitz's sentiments as I hold the same feelings on other fighters but Pavlik does have a point. Why should he take 3 fights for $3-4 million when he earnt $2M for one fight & he is the true middleweight champion who can make a million per fight fighting middleweights.

I like the idea of this tournament & think it is a wonderful idea but as a 160lb fighter why should he even be thought of as one of the 168lb tournament fighters? As the true 160lb champion he should stay busy & make his mandatories & fight teh winner of the tournament as "Undisputed vs Undisputed" at 168. Then Fitz can know Pavlik is betting beaten bloody & stretchered by the best supermiddleweight in the world.

Very good points Steve..Completely true..

Pavlik looks like shit at 168 and only should fight at 60..Why not start thinking about Chad Dawson coming down to 168 just to be in the tournament then too??
Method
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Jul 15 2009, 11:40 PM) *
Geez man how is a tourney bad for the sport!? I don't see how Pavlik should be mentioned in this when he has only campaigned there once..same with Williams or any other top fighter around there!

Why not make it interesting and make them fight for 2-3 Mill instead?..maybe we can see more hunger in our fighters these days..instead of always trying to make the quickest buck!!

Other than you concerntrating on the negatives that COULD happen in the tourney you have only brought up your lack of interest towards the division and not brought up how this is bad for the sport?

Yes this does not involve any welterweight fighter, may not be packed with Americans, or any fighter you like but let's take one step at a time here! This COULD be the start of something very effective and helpful in the sport that could create clarity!..i really can't understand how fans are unhappy or critisizing the idea of a TOURNEY!!..Shit it's way better and professional than how the top dogs at Welter are acting!!!

Couple quick things I'm gonna nip in the bud right now...

I NEVER said this was "BAD for the sport". I responded to someone who stated "this was the best thing to happen to the sport". You mentioned me saying it was "Bad..." at least twice, and you're referencing something that was never stated. I don't think its all that big a deal, but I don't remember saying it was bad.

I never mentioned Pavlik for the tournament. Not sure where that is coming from, but again, you mentioned it a couple of times, and I never said anything about him in being (or needing to be) a participant).

I threw in 154 in conjunction w 147 because, c'mon, a lot of those 147 pounders can EASILY fight (and have) at 154, plus, perhaps some of the talent at 160 could make the weight too. 147-154 is loaded w so much more talent is all.

Also, I said make it a much bigger purse prize to the winner so these motherfuckers are looking to end each others lives to get to it. I also think it should be an elimination tourney....again, to keep these motherfuckers 100% focused and hungry.

But I digress, Im really uninterested. The ONLY reason this is going on is because the division SUCKS.

D-MARV
168 doesn't suck!

160 Sucks.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 16 2009, 07:14 AM) *
168 doesn't suck!

160 Sucks.

Ya, its absolutely devoid of talent or names beyond Pavlik. Now that Abraham is gone there isnt a single fight to get excited about other then Pavlik/PWill... and PWill isnt even a real middleweight.
MarzB
Can you imagine how this "hick" would be had he actually beaten Hopkins or got decision?? As someone mentioned his comments totally lead me to believe it was him/his team to not take a fight with Arthur (and I think Kelly personally would have the advantage).

Regarding the tournament, I can't see how it's a bad idea. Promoters working together, fights NOT in VEGAS but spread out throughout the world, nice format, etc. Nothing is perfect but perhaps this will lead to other divisions implementing it with tweaks here and there.

It's a step in the right direction because surely the current system is working so well right??
WolfishPromistah
Kelly’s already shown some ineffectiveness in his making the jump to 168. For him, a little problem may have even appeared apparent to some when he went to the catch weight and fought Taylor the second time. Then, too, I am one to believe that Kelly’s skill level played more into his losing to Hopkins than anything, which is not hard to understand considering...it’s Bernard Hopkins.

Seemingly, trying to play his cards as a business man is where Kelly’s interests lie, as others have and would, waiting it out by continuing to build up the record against all who’ll see him there until more opportunity for bigger bucks arrives. If it doesn’t, he may still be in a comfortable position through making money against some no-names, still adding up to more at just that than what he’d acquire fighting within the web o f the “Tourney-68” – "One helluva cheap thrill," he'd probably say.

This is about Kelly’s demands for money. It appears he is trying to stay in line with the 147 mentality, which seems universally around the lines of “no big money, no fights.” Period. Of courseI don’t think Kelly’s PPV numbers are likely to be great in the near future because of stuff like this, though it’s definitely clear to see why he’s so intent to acquire all he can, considering where he’s from (Youngstown, a place where all reports say poor is in store).

The man’s intent is to keep good money flowing in; more power to him, but the show’s gotta move on. Nonetheless, say what we might, this tourney is probably the thing that’ll finally bring some love back to 168, seeing as those guys wanna get it on at any cost. Hey, it’s like those 168-ers don’t ask for much, and still they know how to make fans feel appreciated, no matter the cost – a BIG Ups to them.

In conclusion, as a boxing fan this may do wonders. After all, for peanuts or no, the 168 tourney is at least good to see because some names will face each other, even if the 168 division is not currently near close to the greatest in the game . Fights will still be made, and it’s not like we’re getting a steady flow of them from the names at 147 or 154 – at least the former, where it currently seems a goal to get a term like “Diva-worth” into boxing rankings.
Al Hata

I'm real curious to see how popular Ward or Dirrell become if they win this thing.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Al Hata @ Jul 18 2009, 03:15 PM) *
I'm real curious to see how popular Ward or Dirrell become if they win this thing.

I bet Ward would become very popular.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2009, 03:50 PM) *
I bet Ward would become very popular.

I hope someone becomes popular at 168. I like having guys I can get behind and root for because they have the ability to make fights happen and keep me interested in a division.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.