Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger Mayweather thinks Shane is biggest threat!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
Well, since the Mayweather's seem to dominate the post here I thought I'd post an interesting interview with Roger Mayweather. Roger feels Shane is Floyd's biggest test or so he says. I think that is a big statement coming from a guy who thinks everyone is garbage. He also disses Pac but that's nothing new. So, is Shane Floyd's biggest test or is it another hype job?

(14Jul09) John Martinez (Ironboxing.com)

I asked him what he thought of a lil Floyd versus Manny and/or Shane fight.

Roger replied, “Mosley has way more skills than Pacquiao ever will. I got nothing bad to say about Shane. He is big, strong, fast, and knows his sh*t. That is the best fight for my nephew in terms of fight status and testing your skills.”

He went on to say that “Mosley has the skills to pay the bills. If my nephew fought Mosley, that would be the biggest fight in the sport. But, the Manny Pacquiao fight would be bigger in terms of PPV buys.”

I agree. In Mosley, you have a man that made a “Tijuana Tornado”(Antonio Margarito) look more like a calm before the storm that never came.

Two fights prior to that, Mosley would suffer a decision loss to current WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in a fight many people and experts alike believed that Mosley did enough to pull off the victory.

However, as it stands now, the champion of the welterweight division (Mosley) is left outside looking in while Pacquiao continues to make his demands on Cotto to drop to 143 pounds before even considering going much further in the supposed showdown this fall with the hard hitting, but seemingly easy to hit prodding Puerto Rican.

History does repeat itself folks. This is a different year with yet the same script being written out. Pacquiao, the “warrior” refuses to fight a true legitimate 147 pounder without first having that opponent drain their bodies to a weight lower than the WELTERWEIGHT limit. I thought it was called the welterweight (147 pounds) division for a reason.

Perhaps I just don’t understand the reasoning behind having weight divisions and rules that have been in place for decades in boxing if certain fighters and their handlers are just going to ignore them whenever they see fit. Yet, after they win, if they win, then they get to call themselves champions of said divisions without ever truly fighting at the required weight class limit they purportedly campaigned at. Maybe Manny, Bob Arum, and Freddy can explain the rules or lack thereof to others like myself who are wondering the same thing.

Roger poses the question if Manny should be in the mix at all with regards to high profile potential clashes with his nephew or Mosley.

He asked me what I thought of Manny. I said Manny in a nutshell is a speed bomber with power and heart. In short, he is a gifted brawler. He lacks head movement, serious jab, can’t fight going backwards, and is very rugged and not lacking in stamina. And yes, that is the latest improved version of the Filipino fighter as opposed to the late ‘90’s to late 2008 edition of Manny Pacquiao that we began to know.

Roger told me he agreed with my assessment, but offered his own colorful stripped down description of the “People’s Champion” Manny Pacquiao.

“Manny Pacquiao ain’t sh*t. The only reason why people are even mentioning Manny’s name is because he whooped De La Hoya’s ass. And how did he do it? He made Oscar drain his own ass in weight and drop that weight. After that, it ain’t like he beat a great motherf*cker in Ricky Hatton. Everyone knows Ricky has no defense or skills.”

“If Pacquiao would have never fought or beat De La Hoya, he would never be mentioned and no one would care who he is” he said.

He went on to handicap a Pacquiao/Mosley rumble by saying that “Shane will finish Pacquiao very early. He is too big, too good for a brawler like Manny.”

He continued,“Manny is gonna need more than just looping punches to whip my nephew or Shane’s ass if he ever gets us in the ring. He ain’t nothing but a f*cking brawler. That’s it. Shane and my nephew will f*ck him up. Shane would whip Pacquiao in the same way my nephew would.”

With Mayweather, we have an extremely gifted fighter that has decided to face a great, but smaller fighter in Juan Manuel Marquez. A tune up fight I assume. After speaking with Floyd’s father as well as his Uncle/trainer, I would not put too much stock in the powers that be, HBO and Oscar De La Hoya’s mouthpiece and personal butler, Richard Schaefer (wait, they, HBO and Oscar’s company, are one in the same, I forgot) when they try to force you to give up your hard earned dollars for this supposed grand event by utilizing their typical selling points and gimmicks beginning with the HBO reality show, 24/7.

According to Roger Mayweather, he told me “ we ain’t gonna hold him (JMM) up. We ain’t even gonna try and hold him up either. Floyd will do whatever he wants to do with him and it will end early because Floyd has too much skills for him.”

Floyd Sr. told me that people should save their money “because lil Floyd can fight this fight with his eyes closed. Marquez is good, but he is too small and not fast enough for my son. This fight should not be on PPV.”

Roger added, “Look. We know there’s a lot of people struggling out there right now in this economy. But it ain’t up to me to say that this fight probably should or should not be on regular HBO. All I know is, this sport is about making money and if people buy it, they buy it, but there are fights out there that probably should be called or put on PPV.”

He closed by saying “ my wish if you want to know is to go with Marquez, Pacquiao, then Mosley. You have got to go with who is gonna bring and make you the most money. For that, we’ll fight Pacquiao. Then after that, you fight the fights that matter and mean something- thats Mosley.”

Method
I agree, plus they could fight at '47 or '54, and sucking into skeleton wouldnt be a factor.

I believe both Shane AND Mayweather are better than Paq, skillwise. Paq's only advantage is making either of them (moreso w Shane, I believe) suck down to 143 or lower.
Keith
As much as I hate PBF and his daddy... I love Roger. Somebody in that camp has some god damn sense. I agree with everything he said.

Pac is not capable of fighting the welters, its why they've been whinning about catchweights for 3 months.

Mosley is big, strong, fast, and knows his shit.

The JMM fight will end early.

Music to my ears Roger. Thankyou.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 17 2009, 10:23 AM) *
As much as I hate PBF and his daddy... I love Roger. Somebody in that camp has some god damn sense. I agree with everything he said.

Pac is not capable of fighting the welters, its why they've been whinning about catchweights for 3 months.

Mosley is big, strong, fast, and knows his shit.

The JMM fight will end early.

Music to my ears Roger. Thankyou.

Yep, you called it. Just surprised that Roger actually admitted it. Seems like that camp feels Floyd has no threats to losing.
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 17 2009, 11:47 AM) *
Yep, you called it. Just surprised that Roger actually admitted it. Seems like that camp feels Floyd has no threats to losing.

If you remember back before the Margarito fight, somebody interviewed Roger and asked his opinion about it. He responded with something like "Shane's gonna whip his ass. His handspeed will be too much Margarito. Shanes an old school fighter. He will find a way to do some damage and he wont run away from a fight."

Roger has respect for Shane. Its not a new thing.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 17 2009, 11:00 AM) *
If you remember back before the Margarito fight, somebody interviewed Roger and asked his opinion about it. He responded with something like "Shane's gonna whip his ass. His handspeed will be too much Margarito. Shanes an old school fighter. He will find a way to do some damage and he wont run away from a fight."

Roger has respect for Shane. Its not a new thing.

You're right, I do remember that. Funny, cause listening to Floyd you would think Shane has no chance.
tjm
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 17 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Roger makes sense.

Yeah right!...JUST LIKE WHEN HE SAID "PACQUIAO HAS NO CHANCE WITH HATTON"
JLUVBABY
roger talks a lot of shit too but his analysis always makes sence... this goes back to what i like to say about why some fights are made or not made unless enough money is involved... the fighters i dont think are afraid of one another but the corners know who and who not to put their fighters in with... mosely mayweather has always been the best fight o be made in boxing ever since they where in the lighter weight divisions...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (tjm @ Jul 17 2009, 12:09 PM) *
Yeah right!...JUST LIKE WHEN HE SAID "PACQUIAO HAS NO CHANCE WITH HATTON"

Darn, you beat me to it...
Keith
Do you think maybe Roger said that about the Pac/Hatton fight because his brother was training Hatton. They had recently "reconciled" and maybe he was trying to support him.
provo
Roger was just trying to support his brother!!
He also said if Hatton can't beat pac give me your gym bag with all your shit in it and all throw it away cause if he can't beat pac he shouldn't be fighting lol..
Gotta love Roger!
torvix2000
I like the "throw gasoline on it" part.
torvix2000
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 17 2009, 11:05 PM) *
Darn, you beat me to it...

C'mon. We need to wait for his string of wrong predictions, first.
mrwigi
Roger doesnt always make sense inside the ring, but he hit the nail on the head here. Shane is a beast!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.