Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JuanMa wants $1 million for the Caballero Fight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JD
I mean, I think the kid is nasty...but it's a little early to start demanding paydays like this when you were a prospect a year ago and have yet to be in a headline fight.

Anyone else a little surprised by this?
oozemcbuck
that's not too bad. they both should make about that much. put it on a big fight undercard (cotto/pacquiao ? ).... let me stop dreaming....

i kinda like caballero to win.
JD
Did Marquez or Vazquez ever get a million for any of their three fights? I know they didn't for the first two. Using that as a barometer, it kind of puts it into perspective...I'm not sure that the fight is worth any more than a million total.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 10:25 AM) *
I mean, I think the kid is nasty...but it's a little early to start demanding paydays like this when you were a prospect a year ago and have yet to be in a headline fight.

Anyone else a little surprised by this?

Definitely not a good look to be talking like that at this stage. I can only guess that he's avoiding Caballero because he wants Vasquez or Marquez.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 09:49 AM) *
Did Marquez or Vazquez ever get a million for any of their three fights? I know they didn't for the first two. Using that as a barometer, it kind of puts it into perspective...I'm not sure that the fight is worth any more than a million total.

yea, but that's not too accurate to look at it like that only because the huge gap in $$$ between HBO & SHOWTIME. think about if marquez/vazquez 1, 2 & 3 would've been on HBO ? now think about a juanma/caballero fight on SHOWTIME vs HBO. same fight, but they'll get a lot more $$$ on HBO.
JD
OK...I got the answer to my question.

For the third fight, which was the most valuable and anticipated, Vazquez made $750,000 and Marquez made $425,000.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/co...&id=3273545

Yeah...JuanMa is out of his mind, he seriously needs a reality check.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2009, 09:55 AM) *
Definitely not a good look to be talking like that at this stage. I can only guess that he's avoiding Caballero because he wants Vasquez or Marquez.

Or he's avoiding caballero cuz he knows whats up. i like juanma but he's called out marquez/vazquez and that's it !!! and he knows that they're setting up a 4th fight. he has never said caballeros' name. i think he's shook.
JD
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Jul 18 2009, 10:59 AM) *
yea, but that's not too accurate to look at it like that only because the huge gap in $$$ between HBO & SHOWTIME. think about if marquez/vazquez 1, 2 & 3 would've been on HBO ? now think about a juanma/caballero fight on SHOWTIME vs HBO. same fight, but they'll get a lot more $$$ on HBO.

A fight is only worth what a network will pay for it. HBO is not throwing money at guys anymore like they used, unless they are one of the marquee guys. A precedent exists, HBO isn't going to ignore that precedent, and there is no way JuanMa - Caballero is worth more than the third Vazquez - Marquez fight. Look at what HBO paid for a Margarito - Mosley fight, and that fight was worth many, many times more than than a JuanMa - Caballero fight.

If Showtime put up $1.2 million total (and that is probably high) for the JuanMa - Caballero fight, do you think HBO would come in and blow that offer out of the water? I don't.
oozemcbuck
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 10:00 AM) *

For the third fight, which was the most valuable and anticipated, Vazquez made $750,000 and Marquez made $425,000.

dam, u dug in the crates for that one. i just made my mind up right now.... juanma is str8 scared .
JD
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Jul 18 2009, 11:07 AM) *
dam, u dug in the crates for that one. i just made my mind up right now.... juanma is str8 scared .

LOL...not really. Just googled "Vazquez Marquez purse"...bam!
D-MARV
There's no reason for JuanMa to be "shook". I hope JuanMA finally takes this fight and put this "Overrated" chump away.
JD
He shouldn't be...but demanding $1 million for a fight that would likely see the combined purses in that area is puzzling to say the least. It's certainly doesn't scream "get me the fight".
oozemcbuck
[quote name='damarvelous1' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:09 AM' post='444785']
There's no reason for JuanMa to be "shook". I hope JuanMA finally takes this fight and put this "Overrated" chump away.
[/quote

you're right, no reason for him to be shook, so why is he ? right after caballero ko'd molitor, he was saying he wanted juanma. juan fought, who?, gerry penalosa instead ?? and another "chump" who i would have to look up to find his name (it was on that bs latin fury garbage). and now he's outpricing himself, but he'll take a lot less money to fight a chump . how much did he get for those 2 fights (penalosa, that bum from latin fury)? let me google it real quick....
JD
To go a step further, Caballero is willing to pay JuanMa's sanctioning fees.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 11:20 AM) *
To go a step further, Caballero is willing to pay JuanMa's sanctioning fees.

Haha... JD you know better than that!
oozemcbuck
i couldn't find any figures, but , what do you know... juanma is scheduled to fight on 9/26 against a guy with a 26-12 record. (that's according to boxrec , who can be very unreliable. it doesn't mean it's a done deal or that it'll even happen, but i bet that fight happens, for a lot less than 1mil.) Latin fury 18 ??
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2009, 11:24 AM) *
Haha... JD you know better than that!

They want the fight that bad.
D-MARV
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Jul 18 2009, 11:24 AM) *
i couldn't find any figures, but , what do you know... juanma is scheduled to fight on 9/26 against a guy with a 26-12 record. (that's according to boxrec , who can be very unreliable. it doesn't mean it's a done deal or that it'll even happen, but i bet that fight happens, for a lot less than 1mil.) Latin fury 18 ??

And JuanMA is Pissed off about it as well. He doesn't want to have anything to do with that fight. Bob Arum is just keeping him warm until the Gamboa fight in early 2010.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 11:27 AM) *
They want the fight that bad.

They will be fighting for free then.
oozemcbuck
[quote name='damarvelous1' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:28 AM' post='444793']
And JuanMA is Pissed off about it as well. He doesn't want to have anything to do with that fight. Bob Arum is just keeping him warm until the Gamboa fight in early 2010.
[/quote

Gamboa ?!? now there's an overrated chump. juanma wins in 45 seconds, ponce de leon style. if arum wants to "keep him warm", i know Caballero will warm that ass up real good...

the kid is a champ. there's no excuse for fighting a guy with a 26-12 record when you're a champ and there's a guy like caballero lurking around.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2009, 11:29 AM) *
They will be fighting for free then.

It sounds like they are willing to make a reasonable figure, understanding that the fight is not worth what JuanMa thinks it is.

"BoxingScene was advised by Caballero's promoter, Warriors Boxing, that Juanma's sanctioning fees would indeed get squared away on their end.

One Caballero team member told BoxingScene - "Asking for a million dollars is his way of saying that he doesn't want to fight. Don't ask for a million dollars, just say you don't want to fight."
oozemcbuck
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 10:31 AM) *
It sounds like they are willing to make a reasonable figure, understanding that the fight is not worth what JuanMa thinks it is.

"BoxingScene was advised by Caballero's promoter, Warriors Boxing, that Juanma's sanctioning fees would indeed get squared away on their end.

One Caballero team member told BoxingScene - "Asking for a million dollars is his way of saying that he doesn't want to fight. Don't ask for a million dollars, just say you don't want to fight."

How to Duck a Fight, written by juanma.
blackbelt2003
Caballero and Juanma...two extremes in how to build a fighter up.

Caballero has done it the hard way, winning a legit belt and forcing fights with the other titlists, finally starting to get recognition after slogging away for several hard years and taking on dangerous mandatories, like that teak tough South African in his last fight.

In stark contrast, Juanma gets a few blow outs, wins a bogus fringe belt and stamps his feet, demanding a million dollars to fight one of the real champs instead of going all out to challenge them like he should be.

Welcome to modern day boxing.

Nishioka and Caballero are the current champs, Juanma should be itching to fight them, not taking on Penalosa and ummmm....Oliver Lontchi.

I'm wishing Vazquez can return to action, knock out Nishioka to win back his WBC belt, unify with Caballero and leave Juanma in limbo for being a gaylord.

Black
Al Hata

Man, I would love to see Juanma vs. Caballero.
Keith
Seems to me that Arums fighters seem to have really big heads. They want to cherry pick opponents and demand this or that. Is this a trend?
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 18 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Seems to me that Arums fighters seem to have really big heads. They want to cherry pick opponents and demand this or that. Is this a trend?

I have said from day 1 that Bob Arum is the devil. All of his fighters seem to get big heads. I really hope that JuanMa doesn't fall for it. It would be a shame because he really is a good fighter. Im 99% sure that the reason JuanMa hasn't pulled the trigger on Caballero is because he has good ole Bobby blowing smoke in his ear.
salvador
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 18 2009, 10:00 AM) *

That's really sad.

Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Jul 18 2009, 10:59 AM) *

That not it at all, the fac that they fight at their weight says it all.

I don't think Ward made $1 mil until the 3rd fight.

The point is that Juanma will never make $1 mil at 122 at HBO or anywhere. He obviously doesn't want the fight and since Caballero is such a freak I don't blame him.
kidbazooka1
I don't believe JuanMa is scared of Caballero i think he'll beat the sh*t out of him but i think he knows it's better for both guys to keep on winning and make a bigger name for themselfs like Vasquez and Marquez did before there encounters.

No doubt Caballero is a tough dude but he won't touch JuanMa he'll get iced by that right hook.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Jul 19 2009, 01:47 AM) *
No doubt Caballero is a tough dude but he won't touch JuanMa he'll get iced by that right hook.

That may very well be but JunaMa obviously doesn't believe that or he wouldn't be putting forth such ridiculous demands.

He'd just be happy to go out there and "ice" him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.