Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dana White on Maywaether Marquez PPV
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
AussieLad
Apologies if this has been posted before, but i thought it was interesting to hear his perspective of competing against floyd in september as a rival ppv

They were scared to compete against oscar, but their not scared of floyd on his own as a drawcard.
BigG
Who really cares who draws more...I just wanna see a good fight. But since I enjoy Boxing more I'll be more into the Floyd fight.
Keith
PBF vs Marquez is a joke. PBF is a great boxer but he has never been in a fight that left you wanting more... never ever been in an "exciting" fight. Its just not his style.
provo
All watch Boxing over UFC nothing like the sweet science! Don't get me wrong I also watch mma ,but that ground shit gets boring im more of a stand up guy!
All be watching Floyd in September .
Michigan Assassin
That was the most civil I've heard Dana White in an interview.

And I have to say I agress with everything he said.

I'm more of a boxing fan as well and I wish they put together fight cards, top to bottom, like they used too.
True-Boxing-Fan
As much as I hate that prick Dana White and the UFC, I have to agree with everything he said. I think Floyd fighting on the same day as a UFC PPV is going to hurt him more than it will the UFC. The UFC is on fire right now, especially with them just finishing up UFC100. As talented as PBF is and everything, he is not a superstar. In todays American sports world he is mile away from being on the level of a Kobe or Lebron. PBF is still not a true household name in America and never will be. He doesnt have the personality to be a legit superstar and household name in America.
D-MARV
I'll be watching boxing on September 19th.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 18 2009, 09:36 PM) *
I'll be watching boxing on September 19th.

I'll be watching boxing on Sept. 19th also. But us Mega boxing fans never miss a fight. It's the casual sports fan that PBF struggles to attract. And it's the casual fan who will probably turn to buy the shitty UFC than the Mayweather-Marquez fight. PBF doesnt have the personality to be a superstar.
AussieLad
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 19 2009, 04:59 AM) *
I'll be watching boxing on Sept. 19th also. But us Mega boxing fans never miss a fight. It's the casual sports fan that PBF struggles to attract. And it's the casual fan who will probably turn to buy the shitty UFC than the Mayweather-Marquez fight. PBF doesnt have the personality to be a superstar.

LOL, this post is funny ok.gif

The boxing headline fight is a mismatch bullshit catchweight fight, with a craptacular undercard due to the need to line mayweathers pockets so he can pay his IRS buddies

At least with the UFC they make an effort to cram every card with interesting matches. The ufc is far better value for money

You can come out and say i prefer boxing, thats fine, but calling the ufc card shitty in comparison to the dribble boxing is serving up on the same day is laughable
Warlord
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 19 2009, 01:40 AM) *

The boxing headline fight is a mismatch bullshit catchweight fight, with a craptacular undercard due to the need to line mayweathers pockets so he can pay his IRS buddies

At least with the UFC they make an effort to cram every card with interesting matches. The ufc is far better value for money

You can come out and say i prefer boxing, thats fine, but calling the ufc card shitty in comparison to the dribble boxing is serving up on the same day is laughable

Co-sign.

I love MMA, but have been more critical of the UFC than anyone else here. But the fact of the matter remains that the UFC offers up MUCH better cards than boxing ever has. You don't get 8 fights period on one card in boxing, let alone multiple championship fights, and undercard matches featuring top-rated contenders going at it.

Anyone who can't see that UFC provides more (quality AND quantity) bang for the buck is just plain fucking delusional.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 19 2009, 05:59 AM) *

Well I know what I would watch but down under we only have one PPv channel & the boxing ALWAYS is ahead of MMA.

They had Darch on PPV last week rather than UFC 100.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 19 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Anyone who can't see that UFC provides more (quality AND quantity) bang for the buck is just plain fucking delusional.

UFC does what boxing PPV 10 -15 years ago. Lets hope they don't go the same way as boxing.
D-MARV
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 19 2009, 02:40 AM) *

Most hardcore fans that choose not to watch this fight aren't watching it because it's some sort of "mismatch". Most people aren't watching because they "Hate" Floyd. They claim Floyd is "boring". I enjoy watching Floyd. He has the best skill set in the world and I find his matches a thing of beauty. (I do admit that the Baldomir fight sucked)
JD
It's kind of hard to disagree with much of what Dana White said.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 04:08 PM) *
Most hardcore fans that choose not to watch this fight aren't watching it because it's some sort of "mismatch". Most people aren't watching because they "Hate" Floyd. They claim Floyd is "boring". I enjoy watching Floyd. He has the best skill set in the world and I find his matches a thing of beauty. (I do admit that the Baldomir fight sucked)

I will watch Floyd but I will not buy any of his sham PPV fights unless it represents a quality matchup. So I will go down to the pub & watch it as the thought of putting money in Floyd's pocket hurts worse than any punch he could land on me.
pcraw
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 18 2009, 11:59 PM) *

Totally disagree. I think I'm well beyond a casual sports fan. But I also work hard for my money, so when it comes to me shelling out $50 I'm very strategic in the PPV'S I order. Who is the co-main event on the Mayweather/Marquez card? Zab Judah, a guy that has loss 4 of his last 7 fights. Hell if you lose 4 of your last 7 in the UFC you wouldn't be in the UFC anymore let alone co-maining a PPV. But boxing has fickle fans that will buy anything put in front of them without questioning shit. UFC 103 is hardly a shitty card.
provo
Ca'mon in order for UFC to compete with Boxing they have to make the card stacked ! If they were to make a big main event with just whoever on the undercard like boxing does they wouldn't be able to compete ! Boxing is way to much of a bigger sport! If boxing was to do a 5 fight card with nothing put superstars on it ! They would shit all over UFC and make more than UFC would do in a year! .
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 20 2009, 02:55 AM) *
Ca'mon in order for UFC to compete with Boxing they have to make the card stacked ! If they were to make a big main event with just whoever on the undercard like boxing does they wouldn't be able to compete ! Boxing is way to much of a bigger sport! If boxing was to do a 5 fight card with nothing put superstars on it ! They would shit all over UFC and make more than UFC would do in a year! .

Well they don't do they. Boxing is my first love but if MMA continue to do this they will win more & more fans. The future is with the younger generation & there are a lot more kids rockin Tapout & Affliction gear than wearing Everlast gear & the like. Not to say boxing is a dying sport but MMA is expanding at a rapid rate & they try & get the kids young & keep them interested. Look at how many MMA gyms are opening up around America. You are blind if you cannot see the potential future impact on Boxing.

The other thing is that UFC have all its fighters under contract so there is no protratced negotiations it is just a case of this fight will be made & it gets made & the guys are happy to fight each other to see who is better.

Compare that to boxing where you get 6 months of negotiation on ring size, weight, gloves, money, PPV cut & who gets to drink out of what colour cup & the fight still does not get made.

Average Joe sees none of the rematch clauses & posturing in MMA that they do in Boxing they see guys getting it on & whooping some arse.

Boxing will always have it's place in the combat arena but it would not suprise me to see in 20 years that MMA has overtaken it.

Look at the pride of boxing the heavyweights. It is guys like them that are part of the problem not part of the solution.

AussieLad
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 20 2009, 01:55 AM) *
If boxing was to do a 5 fight card with nothing put superstars on it ! They would shit all over UFC and make more than UFC would do in a year! .

And how often does this happen? You get 10 superstars on a single ppv, and who is going to pay them all? A single ppv wont generate enough cash to pay for them all. Thats why you usually get a single headline match that absorbs 90% of the profits to pay those 2 guys purses, and an undercard that reflects what money is left over... which is fuck all

Whilst MMA stars may not be as well known as a few of the big boxing names, you have recognizable names fighting each other regularly in the UFC. The UFC markets their events well, markets their fighters well, and it is not important to protect that 0 loss record so you get good fights often.
Warlord
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 20 2009, 02:11 AM) *
And how often does this happen? You get 10 superstars on a single ppv, and who is going to pay them all? A single ppv wont generate enough cash to pay for them all. Thats why you usually get a single headline match that absorbs 90% of the profits to pay those 2 guys purses, and an undercard that reflects what money is left over... which is fuck all

Whilst MMA stars may not be as well known as a few of the big boxing names, you have recognizable names fighting each other regularly in the UFC. The UFC markets their events well, markets their fighters well, and it is not important to protect that 0 loss record so you get good fights often.

Especially if you're fighting in Japan, where losses mean NOTHING. In Japan they admire one thing only, the warrior spirit. As long as a fighter is willing to face the challenge, no matter what the odds, he will always have a place in the company. That's why guys like Don Frye, Kazushi Sakuraba, Igor Vovchanchyn, and Kazuyuki Fujita continued to get big fights and large paydays well after their primes were finished.

Guys are so worried about losing that 0 in boxing that you never see them take a real challenge till they've had 20 0r 30 fights. (Exceptions being guys like Fernando Vargas, Shane Mosely, etc...)
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 20 2009, 07:11 AM) *

The other reason is because the best fighters want to test themselves against the best fighters. The other big thing that appeals to me is the fact that most fights on a UFC card are fairly even matches with very few mismatches. So many boxing fights are calculated mismatches promoted & endorsed by the networks to promote & protect their fighter whilst giving the illusion & it is only a a illusion that these guys are unbeatable.

I love boxing but the whole industry sickens me. Dana White makes me fuckin puke but his company makes the best MMA fights & it is his brand rather than any one fighter that is identifiable world wide.
Keith
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2009, 06:38 AM) *
The other reason is because the best fighters want to test themselves against the best fighters. The other big thing that appeals to me is the fact that most fights on a UFC card are fairly even matches with very few mismatches. So many boxing fights are calculated mismatches promoted & endorsed by the networks to promote & protect their fighter whilst giving the illusion & it is only a a illusion that these guys are unbeatable.

I love boxing but the whole industry sickens me. Dana White makes me fuckin puke but his company makes the best MMA fights & it is his brand rather than any one fighter that is identifiable world wide.

I respect MMA a great deal. There is something about it that bugs me though... it seems to have a very high turnover in its fighters compared to boxing. I didnt notice it until about a year ago. I used to regularly watch UFC from about 95 to 2006 with an illegal hookup. I lost my hookup and kinda dropped out of the MMA scene for a couple of years. Last year I tried to get back in to it and found my self asking "who the fuck are these guys?" There were a few big names still in the game but they were no longer at the top. Is it just me? Any thoughts Stevenski?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 20 2009, 12:32 PM) *
I respect MMA a great deal. There is something about it that bugs me though... it seems to have a very high turnover in its fighters compared to boxing. I didnt notice it until about a year ago. I used to regularly watch UFC from about 95 to 2006 with an illegal hookup. I lost my hookup and kinda dropped out of the MMA scene for a couple of years. Last year I tried to get back in to it and found my self asking "who the fuck are these guys?" There were a few big names still in the game but they were no longer at the top. Is it just me? Any thoughts Stevenski?

UFC has a high turnover because if you lose a few times you are out. UFC is like the elite of MMA coverage wise & they tend to only employ winners or guys that are big draws like Chuck. If you screw up then it is back to the bush leagues until you earn another shot at the UFC. One thing I do like about the UFC is that they do not have rematch clauses usually & enforce the #1 contender fights the champion.

The way MMA is though is UFC is like the WBC in their prime with their championship being the oldest & most recognised title. Think of the other leagues as being like the IBF when they started. They may have a recognised champion ala Holmes to Fedor but are still establishing themselves as contenders. Due to the financial muscle of the UFC they can lure away the talent of rival promotions & unless they have very signifigant backing behind them they cannot match the UFC for coverage & sponsorship $$.

UFC are trying to create a monopoly on MMA. The only good thing about that is the best fights can & do get made unlike boxing where there are rival networks & promoters working against each other. Zuffa are a ugly company from what I hear but they are smart profit merchants who maximise their revenue & the primary license is the UFC brand rather than the induvidual fighter.
CreDog

He might have a tremendous skill set, but to me my thrill quotient also contains a KO factor and really he's safety first and has brittle fists.

His crowning jewel was beating a dehydrated, with all due respect, mentally not right, Diego Corrales.

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 09:08 AM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.