Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik turns down 50/ 50 for Williams
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
D-MARV
A few weeks back, promoters Dan Goossen and Bob Arum of Top Rank held discussions on a possible middleweight bout between WBO/WBC champion Kelly Pavlik and multi-division contender Paul Williams.

"About three weeks ago, two weeks ago, I had discussions with Bob Arum regarding a possible Pavlik-Paul Williams fight. Now as we know, Paul Williams has fought at 160-pounds but he's actually a 147-pounder," Goossen said to BoxingScene.com's Thomas Schlabe.

Goossen tells BoxingScene that he pitched an even 50-50 deal and Arum wanted no part of the deal. Based on their recent runs in the ring, Goossen believes that both sides are entitled to an even split.

"Coming off that great win over Winky Wright, obviously Kelly is still reeling somewhat from the loss to Bernard Hopkins. Regardless of that, we feel that Paul is at the top of the divisions whether it's 147, 154, 160 or 168," Goossen said.

"I told Bob that I wasn't going to get into a situation where I thought, that based on Paul's recent win over Wright and Pavlik's recent loss to Hopkins - I wasn't going to sit there and put Pavlik at a smaller percentage. I told him that we would be willing to do the fight at 50-50, co-promotion and each side split it down the middle and Bob didn't want any part of it."

Top Rank recently spoke with HBO and three middleweight opponents are being looked at for Pavlik's return on October 3 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City - Winky Wright, Sergio Martinez and Felix Sturm.

JD
Talk about mangling a promising career.

From taking the Hopkins fight until now, they are doing their best to make Pavlik irrelevant. Stupid.
caneman
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 19 2009, 11:39 AM) *
Talk about mangling a promising career.

From taking the Hopkins fight until now, they are doing their best to make Pavlik irrelevant. Stupid.

totally agreed
D-MARV
It's really a shame. I used to like Kelly Pavlik but Bob Arum is destroying this kid.
BigG
I wouldnt have a problem with Pavlik taking on Sturm in a unification fight.
Keith
Arum's a dick, and I would love to see Pavlik/Williams but I think 50/50 is unfair to Pavlik. He is the champion and undefeated at 160. Why should he 50/50 spilt with a guy who has 1 fight at 160? I dont think its a 60/40 situation but the 55/45 area is a bit more in the range that the champion should get.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 19 2009, 01:20 PM) *
Arum's a dick, and I would love to see Pavlik/Williams but I think 50/50 is unfair to Pavlik. He is the champion and undefeated at 160. Why should he 50/50 spilt with a guy who has 1 fight at 160? I dont think its a 60/40 situation but the 55/45 area is a bit more in the range that the champion should get.

i agree. and tho i don't really think 50-50 is unfair, i do think it's kind of dickish for them to act like they're doing pavlik a favor by offering him that. there's definitely no reason pavlik should take a smaller cut than anyone at 160.
Romulus9
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 19 2009, 12:01 PM) *
I wouldnt have a problem with Pavlik taking on Sturm in a unification fight.

My thoughts exactly. Right now, I'd rather see Pavlik fight Sturm, let Williams really do something worthwhile at 160, and earn a shot at a unified champion. It'd make for a much bigger fight for everyone involved.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 19 2009, 01:56 PM) *
My thoughts exactly. Right now, I'd rather see Pavlik fight Sturm, let Williams really do something worthwhile at 160, and earn a shot at a unified champion. It'd make for a much bigger fight for everyone involved.

How much more worthwhile can you get after dominating Winky? Williams has every right to call out Pavlik. Hopefully Williams will go after Abraham's vacant title and force Pavlik and Sturm to fight him. Gotta give it up Williams just dominated a man nobody wants to fight. 50/50 is fair but 55/45 Pavlik wouldn't be bad either. Mad props to Williams for the gusto.
D-MARV
Williams deserves a fight with Pavlik. At least just as much as anyone else in the division. But I'm sure people would rather Pavlik fight Mora, right? tongue.gif
Romulus9
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jul 19 2009, 02:51 PM) *
How much more worthwhile can you get after dominating Winky? Williams has every right to call out Pavlik. Hopefully Williams will go after Abraham's vacant title and force Pavlik and Sturm to fight him. Gotta give it up Williams just dominated a man nobody wants to fight. 50/50 is fair but 55/45 Pavlik wouldn't be bad either. Mad props to Williams for the gusto.

That's fine. Williams dominated a guy who has never done anything at 160 and had been off for, what, more than a year? It's a good win over Winky Wright but not enough to walk in and demand a 50/50 fight with an established champion. Williams is an excellent fighter. There's no disputing that. But I do think that your statement is absolutely correct, regarding what Williams should do and what should be necessary. Let him fight for the vacant IBF title, let Pavlik fight Sturm, and bring the winners together for a complete unification in what amounts to a mini-tournament! Talk about something being good for the sport.

That's something that HBO could get involved with in short order. Pavlik, Sturm, and Williams all have a previous relationship with HBO, so the other challenger for the vacant IBF belt should be able to step right in.
Romulus9
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 02:55 PM) *
Williams deserves a fight with Pavlik. At least just as much as anyone else in the division. But I'm sure people would rather Pavlik fight Mora, right? tongue.gif

I'd like to find whoever decided that Sergio Mora should be allowed to fight on television, much less against Pavlik, ON PAY-PER-VIEW, and hit them in the face with a boat paddle.

Pavlik/Sturm
Williams/TBA for the vacant IBF title

Winners meet to unify in early 2010.

Do it.
Keith
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jul 19 2009, 02:51 PM) *

Romulus commented on this as well... nobody wanted to fight Winky 4 or 5 years ago at 154, not 160. Thats not the case right now. He hadnt fought in 2 years and is 37 yrs old. Its a good win to have on your resume but I didnt walk away from the Winky fight knowing anything more about PWill then I already did. PWill is a bad ass dude but negotiating power isnt all about how bad ass you are. The recognized champ in a division rarely spilts 50/50. PWill would have to be undefeated, and putting people to sleep at 160 to demand 50/50 with Pavlik, who has already been doing that.
D-MARV
I agree that PWill doesn't deserve 50% but I love how you guys are saying that the Winky fighting wasn't that big of a deal. A lot of people picked Winky to win that fight and just about everybody thought it would be competitive. Truth be told, That one win was better than anything Sturm has ever done. Pavlik-Williams IS the fight to make at 160.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 06:23 PM) *
I agree that PWill doesn't deserve 50% but I love how you guys are saying that the Winky fighting wasn't that big of a deal. A lot of people picked Winky to win that fight and just about everybody thought it would be competitive. Truth be told, That one win was better than anything Sturm has ever done. Pavlik-Williams IS the fight to make at 160.

Your certainly right about that. Who was picking Winky to win? Dudes on here? I am not totally discrediting the win against Winky. Its just not the Winky that beat Shane 5 years ago or even the Winky that fought to a draw with Taylor. Would you agree with that?
Romulus9
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 06:23 PM) *

I'd say Sturm beating up on DLH and getting hosed on the decision was pretty meaningful, although it was at 160, which is also the case with the Williams win over Winky.

Pavlik-Williams is certainly the biggest fight to be made at middleweight. No one is questioning that. What I'm questioning is how he can just show up in the division and start dictating terms when Pavlik has been at 160 for years, has been an excellent champion, and a guy like Sturm has been sitting there waiting on a unification fight with someone like Pavlik but could get leapfrogged by someone jumping 13 pounds from welterweight. Let him earn the vacant IBF belt, and get the shot at Pavlik while Sturm gets what he's been waiting for as a sort of unofficial mandatory.

One thing is certain and can be agreed on by everyone.... NO SERGIO MORA!
D-MARV
LMAO... That De La Hoya robbery means shit. Do you remember how Fat De La Hoya was in that fight? And I for one don't feel bad for Sturm. He blantantly ducked Abraham on a number of occasions so if he doesn't get the unification fight it's his own stupid fault.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 19 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Your certainly right about that. Who was picking Winky to win? Dudes on here? I am not totally discrediting the win against Winky. Its just not the Winky that beat Shane 5 years ago or even the Winky that fought to a draw with Taylor. Would you agree with that?

YUP, lots of jokers on here thought Wright had a chance...

I think Williams people were lobbing out an offer to see if Pav was desperate enough to bite. he wasnt, and for good reason. People forget that Pav is the MW Champiuon of the world. He beat the man who beat the man(course, he eventually lost the the man too, but not at MW). Goosen must've been smoking crack to think his guy should get 50%.

If no deal is reachable, say 60/40 Pavlik then Williams is the one who has the issue. No way he should get parrity for Pav's belt. He was right in asking, but Pav is right in saying HELL NO! I would like to see these two hook up though...
STEVENSKI
"Coming off that great win over Winky Wright, obviously Kelly is still reeling somewhat from the loss to Bernard Hopkins. Regardless of that, we feel that Paul is at the top of the divisions whether it's 147, 154, 160 or 168," Goossen said.

Who the hell do they think Williams is? Some kind of crossover superstar that can just hold his rankings & fight in any of 4 divisions? It is not that I don't respect what Williams is doing but he is at the top of the tree in 4 divisions? What has he actually done at 168? Why would he be a top contender at 147 when he has not seen that weight in 3 or 4 fights? This is all very confusing & sounds to me like they are placing a value similar to a mint conditioned boxed Gen 1 transformer from 1984 when he is more like a pre played with Megatron with a arm broken off value wise.

QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jul 19 2009, 07:51 PM) *

50/50 & 55/45 is far from fair. What type of PPV #'s has he done. What revenue has he shown he can generate to deserve 50/50. I am not talking about his fighting potential & ability which he has displayed in abundance. I am talking about generating money as that is the only way to get paid in full. Otherwise guys like JMM would be getting $10M per fight not Hatton.

In order for him to be worthy of facing Pavlik bring something to the table like a belt or better yet get the belt & go fight Sturm in Europe & then demand a fight with Pavlik.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 19 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Who the hell do they think Williams is? Some kind of crossover superstar that can just hold his rankings & fight in any of 4 divisions? It is not that I don't respect what Williams is doing but he is at the top of the tree in 4 divisions? What has he actually done at 168? Why would he be a top contender at 147 when he has not seen that weight in 3 or 4 fights? This is all very confusing & sounds to me like they are placing a value similar to a mint conditioned boxed Gen 1 transformer from 1984 when he is more like a pre played with Megatron with a arm broken off value wise.

They said "we feel". That doesn't mean that he is. Nobody in their right mind wouuld rank Paul at 168.

In order for him to be worthy of facing Pavlik bring something to the table like a belt or better yet get the belt & go fight Sturm in Europe & then demand a fight with Pavlik.

You soud like Floyd Mayweather.

What other fight can Pavlik make more money in?
JD
I don't think Wiliams deserves 50 / 50...60 / 40 should get it done for both guys.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 19 2009, 07:38 PM) *
I don't think Wiliams deserves 50 / 50...60 / 40 should get it done for both guys.

Agreed! 60/40 sounds about right.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 11:36 PM) *
You soud like Floyd Mayweather.

What other fight can Pavlik make more money in?

NEVER EVER SAY THAT AGAIN (you know exactly what I mean)!!! It offends me a great deal.

A unification fight would make him more money especially if he travelled to Germany to fight Sturm. One thing is that they don't sell out a 18,000 seat venue in Germany they sell out a 50-60,000 seat football stadium over there.

That is why I suggested Williams go over to Europe & beat their champion & get a belt. Then he has some negotiation leverage. Right now he is a contender & no more but beating their best & taking their belts leaves Pavlik with little room to move & a fight will have to be made.

Pavlike if he was prepared to travel & a deal could be brokered between HBO & Saurkraut productions would be very lucrative. Germans love a scrap & will pay to see one.
D-MARV
I like the idea of PWill going to Germany but I would be highly surprised to see Sturm take that fight.
Keith
Eventually somebody has to fight PWill. I feel bad for the dude. He's in the prime of his career and cant get the big fight he deserves.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 19 2009, 06:18 PM) *
Romulus commented on this as well... nobody wanted to fight Winky 4 or 5 years ago at 154, not 160. Thats not the case right now. He hadnt fought in 2 years and is 37 yrs old. Its a good win to have on your resume but I didnt walk away from the Winky fight knowing anything more about PWill then I already did. PWill is a bad ass dude but negotiating power isnt all about how bad ass you are. The recognized champ in a division rarely spilts 50/50. PWill would have to be undefeated, and putting people to sleep at 160 to demand 50/50 with Pavlik, who has already been doing that.

If that's not the case now why is Pavlik looking to fight jr-middle-wts? If Winky is such a pushover why isn't Pavlik or Sturm trying to make fights with him? The answer is Winky aint no pushover and apparently neither guy is calling out Williams either. Williams made it look easy but there still aint a list of guys lining up to face Winky that says it all to me. Aren't we tired of seeing Sturm fight guys we never heard of wassup wit that? I would much rather see Winky/Pavlik than Pavlik/Mora. Business is business so if Im Williams I would fight Pavlik for 55/45. 60/40 is a bit much. It aint like Williams doesn't bring nothing to the table dude is on a roll While Pavlik is coming off a big loss.
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 19 2009, 08:47 PM) *
Eventually somebody has to fight PWill. I feel bad for the dude. He's in the prime of his career and cant get the big fight he deserves.

I don't think he reached his prime yet. He still has so much he needs to polish. These cats at 154 seem to want to step up. Paul should clean out 154 and then 160.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 19 2009, 07:24 PM) *

50/50 & 55/45 is far from fair. What type of PPV #'s has he done. What revenue has he shown he can generate to deserve 50/50. I am not talking about his fighting potential & ability which he has displayed in abundance. I am talking about generating money as that is the only way to get paid in full. Otherwise guys like JMM would be getting $10M per fight not Hatton.

This aint no PPV fight Stevenski this is HBO my dude,lol. Stay away from the PPV with these guys cause neither is PPV yet.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 20 2009, 12:47 AM) *

Sounds like Hopkins. He may just have to wait for his time to shine. It can take years to become a established "star". Look at Floyd he took years & years before he was on PPV earning millions.

QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jul 20 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Business is business so if Im Williams I would fight Pavlik for 55/45. 60/40 is a bit much. It aint like Williams doesn't bring nothing to the table dude is on a roll While Pavlik is coming off a big loss.

A roll does not mean $$. Pavlik has proven himself the best at 160 & Williams brings a couple of decent wins & his handlers expect parity & a shot at the title? Go earn the shot goddam it & while you are at it go fight in a division long enough to get ranked & become the top contender.

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 12:54 AM) *
I don't think he reached his prime yet. He still has so much he needs to polish. These cats at 154 seem to want to step up. Paul should clean out 154 and then 160.

Perhaps if he did that then he would deserve a shot at the champion. See how Tito cleaned out 154 & then won some belts at 160 before fighting for the true championship? That is how it is done & unlike Williams Tito was a bona fide PPV superstar.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Jul 20 2009, 01:00 AM) *
This aint no PPV fight Stevenski this is HBO my dude,lol. Stay away from the PPV with these guys cause neither is PPV yet.

I know. Trust me every fight is on PPV so it does not matter to me if it is HBO PPV, BAD or WCB as it will still be PPV for me. The point I am making is that Pavlik has proven he can generate money which translates funnily enough to bigger paychecks. Where has Williams proven he can sell a fight to deserve parity with Pavlik?

That is my question.
D-MARV
Just let Pavlik fight Sergio Mora and Martinez. Those guys have certainly earned their shot.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 02:20 AM) *
Just let Pavlik fight Sergio Mora and Martinez. Those guys have certainly earned their shot.

I am not saying that they deserve a shot either but the way to force a fight is to get ranked & then if it still will not be made then kick up a stink. Division hopping does not help his cause.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 19 2009, 08:54 PM) *

exactly. he could clean out 154 and make himself a name as the undisputed jr. middle, and then be able to get the bigger fights at 147 and 160. i like williams temperment, but at this point i wish he would act a little more like haye. all haye did was make a big deal about himself and was able to get himself well known and a fight with one of the biggest names in boxing. and he didn't even deserve it, williams does. if williams did that he might get a lot more action.
STEVENSKI
Well that is right I mean the way you do things is you clean out a division & if cats don't want to fight you then name & shame them in public. If they won't fight you under reasonable terms & you actually deserve to fight them then call them what they are a coward & a fraud.

154 is where Paul should be hanging out right now & get some damm belts. Pavlik vs Paul has the potential to be a huge fight but only if Paul cleans out 154 & Pavlik keeps winning for a showdown in 12-15 months time.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2009, 07:15 PM) *
Well that is right I mean the way you do things is you clean out a division & if cats don't want to fight you then name & shame them in public. If they won't fight you under reasonable terms & you actually deserve to fight them then call them what they are a coward & a fraud.

154 is where Paul should be hanging out right now & get some damm belts. Pavlik vs Paul has the potential to be a huge fight but only if Paul cleans out 154 & Pavlik keeps winning for a showdown in 12-15 months time.

I agree with you. But if Pavlik is going to fight Mora or Martinez then why shouldn't Paul be next?

I heard Winky threw his name in that hat. I hope that fight gets made because Winky will give Pavlik hell.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 07:31 PM) *
I agree with you. But if Pavlik is going to fight Mora or Martinez then why shouldn't Paul be next?

I heard Winky threw his name in that hat. I hope that fight gets made because Winky will give Pavlik hell.

Pavlik would lose all respect if he fought Winky. Williams "sonned" Winky. Williams beat Winky much worse than he neat Margarito. Williams defeinately should be very close to 1st in line with respect to Pavlik, but doesnt deserve parrity. I think this fight will get made and KP will get beaten again. I think Williams can rule 147 - 168, like he says he can...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 21 2009, 12:23 AM) *
Pavlik would lose all respect if he fought Winky. Williams "sonned" Winky. Williams beat Winky much worse than he neat Margarito. Williams defeinately should be very close to 1st in line with respect to Pavlik, but doesnt deserve parrity. I think this fight will get made and KP will get beaten again. I think Williams can rule 147 - 168, like he says he can...

Styles make fights. I still like a shop worn Winky over Pavlik every day of the week.
D-MARV
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Jul 21 2009, 04:58 AM) *
Styles make fights. I still like a shop worn Winky over Pavlik every day of the week.

Funny thing is Winky still has some juice left. I think he beats Pavlik too.
Big Slim Sweet
Is it me or is anyone else getting a little tired of Goosen always trying to publicly humiliate boxers? From his wording you can see he was taking a dig at Arum as much as anything. Acting like he would offer Pavlik 50/50 out of the generosity of his heart, lol.

As others have said, Pavlik-Williams is the best fight to make now at 160 but KP's the champ and deserves the lion's share.

Quick Edit -- I don't think Winky has shit left. NOT trying to take away from Paul's win which was tremendous. But whatever Winky had left before, Paul beat it all out of him. I think that will be seen next time he fights. Wink's not BHop or Shane. At his age with the way he takes care of himself (or doesn't) between fights, it's a wrap for him at the top level.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Jul 21 2009, 03:06 PM) *
Is it me or is anyone else getting a little tired of Goosen always trying to publicly humiliate boxers? From his wording you can see he was taking a dig at Arum as much as anything. Acting like he would offer Pavlik 50/50 out of the generosity of his heart, lol.

As others have said, Pavlik-Williams is the best fight to make now at 160 but KP's the champ and deserves the lion's share.

Quick Edit -- I don't think Winky has shit left. NOT trying to take away from Paul's win which was tremendous. But whatever Winky had left before, Paul beat it all out of him. I think that will be seen next time he fights. Wink's not BHop or Shane. At his age with the way he takes care of himself (or doesn't) between fights, it's a wrap for him at the top level.

Winky is competitive against Strum and Pavlik.
Method
Pwill should take a 40% slit to fight for Pav's titles.

On another note, LOL @ Jack Lowe's comments regarding Allen Green...

DL: Allan has already gone on record predicting a knockout over Kelly and heís even gone so far as to say that he would send him to the hospital. What is your response to that and how would that fight play out in the ring?

JL: Every time I see Allan Green fight, heís looking at his feet. I would dare him to look at his feet and fight Kelly. Listen, Allan Green is a great fighter. I donít know how the fight would come out. I know we would be victorious. We wouldnít be going to the hospital, except maybe to visit him. But I donít think youíre going to see us and Allan Green, unless he comes down to 160.
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 21 2009, 08:45 AM) *
Funny thing is Winky still has some juice left. I think he beats Pavlik too.

Winky makes Pavlik look just a normal as Hopkins did.
Keith
Multiple people on here saying Winky beats Pavlik? KP has some holes in his game no doubt... But what exactly about Winky gives KP problems? He doesnt move particulary well at 37 and didnt have much power even at 54. He isnt bigger or stronger then KP and he would be at a reach disadvantage. I see Winky eating 1-2 bombs until he's in a coma. Someone give me their thoughts cause I would love to hear this argument.

King Eugene
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 22 2009, 12:12 AM) *
Pavlik sucks, but Winky won't make Pavlik look as terrible as Hopkins did.

But he wont look good either on his way to another lost!
JonnyBlaze
Everyone is scared of "The Punisher"..Disappointing Pavlik won't fight him..
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 21 2009, 09:51 PM) *
Multiple people on here saying Winky beats Pavlik? KP has some holes in his game no doubt... But what exactly about Winky gives KP problems? He doesnt move particulary well at 37 and didnt have much power even at 54. He isnt bigger or stronger then KP and he would be at a reach disadvantage. I see Winky eating 1-2 bombs until he's in a coma. Someone give me their thoughts cause I would love to hear this argument.

Exactly... What does Winky bring that will back Pavlik up. As the rounds wear on, Pavlik will be getting more shots through Winky's defense. Winky would get dominated by Pavlik. Pavlik throws lots of punches ala Paul Williams(maybe not quite as many). Pavlik throws them much harder than Williams too. I think there were times during the Williams fight where Winky was hurt with good shots. Pavliks hurtin power trumps Williams all day. He may actually stop Winky.

The trouble with fighting Winky is always going to be Paul Williams already beat him. pav will lose respect if he chooses Winky as a dance partner and not Williams...
Keith
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 22 2009, 12:35 AM) *
But he wont look good either on his way to another lost!

How exactly? Explain how Winky beats Pavlik.
caneman
Wright vs Pavlik could be very interesting...I think it would come down to can Wright still compete vs top guys & if it comes down to it, can Pavlik do something beside a double jab & a str8 righthand! When all is said & done, that's what he has to do...up his game where he can do more than that! Other wise many good boxers will beat him too & Wright is a good boxer but is he getting too old?
caneman
edit, sorry! double post!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Jul 22 2009, 07:24 AM) *
Everyone is scared of "The Punisher"..Disappointing Pavlik won't fight him..

I don't think so. How about Williams actually hangs around a division long enough to become the top contender & get his shot.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.