Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao Cotto
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
iron_mike
Oh man, I don't like this for Pac's sake...a 'premium' according to Fightnews persuaded Pac to do it at 145??
I think an extra 2 lbs won't kill Cotto....I see bad things for Pac
thefloatingmonkey
Tough one to call, but I think Pac can take Cotto. Cotto is still going to be the stronger man in there, but just hasn't look as good his last two fights.
provo
Pac wins this in 7 ! Will see a bloody cotto! Cotto is done ,he's to slow for mannys speed and will get caught all day!
Col Reb
I can't say that I'm crazy about this situation. I'd much rather see Pac fight Mosley at 140. That fight has more historical implications, and it seems more evenly matched. Plus, I just don't have that much interest in a Pac-Cotto fight right now. Typical Arum B.S.
iron_mike
I wanted to reply that yes, Cotto is not the same after the Margarito beatdown, loaded gloves or not, and I would rather see a Mosley fight. How can you not respect Shane for willing to go all the way down to 140??? Desperate or not, the man never ducks anyone, (maybe Williams) agree with Floyd that he is not a huge PPV draw, but the guy is willing to fight anyone, anytime, anywhere.

If Pac can withstand Cotto's body attack for the first 6-7 rds, I think he has a shot. If Cotto gets the slightest trickle of blood, it's over. He has that look of omg, my life is over everytime he gets cut, accidental or legitimate punch. I really hope Pac can pull this one out, though I did doubt the DLH (too big) and Hatton (natural 140lb, undefeated at that weight) fights. So prove me wrong again!!
Al Hata

Don't get why your all saying Shane should get the Pac fight. Cotto did beat Mosley so he should be first in line for it.
The CEO
Cotto should take care of Pacquiao at 145...
STEVENSKI
Pac gonna wax that ass badly. Cotto is slow & flat footed. He will be a sucker for the uppercut & straight left down the pipe. Cotto to get busted up rather badly.

Bobfather sees Cotto is slipping as a fighter & wants to make the $$ whilst he can. It is no coincidence that Pac vs Cotto is the biggest & best fight that can be made this year & Bob cannot afford to wait with teh way Cotto is declining as a elite fighter.
JD
I got Pacquiao in this one...I am real comfortable with that pick.
jp
I'm going with Manny by KO and I don't think its going to be very close.

Pac's speed, footwork, combination punching, southpaw stance, etc are all going to pose some very serious problems for Cotto. Honestly I think Manny would pummel Cotto if the fight was at 150lbs, making him suck down to 145 kind of cheapens the victory for me. Miguel already has stamina problems, those extra two pounds are a legitamite handicap.
D-MARV
Fuck this Fight!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 21 2009, 12:28 AM) *
Fuck this Fight!

Why? Cotto beat Mosley already & it is a bigger money fight than Pac vs Mosley plus withe teh same promoter it is a easier fight to make.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2009, 07:35 PM) *
Why? Cotto beat Mosley already & it is a bigger money fight than Pac vs Mosley plus withe teh same promoter it is a easier fight to make.

Yeah... Fuck this fight.
JD
Fuck this fight?? LOL

This fight can't miss and is easily the best fight this year. This is an event that will actually deliver.
Romulus9
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Fuck this fight?? LOL

This fight can't miss and is easily the best fight this year. This is an event that will actually deliver.

Yeah, THIS one might go more than two one-sided beatdown rounds.

One thing that is promising is that we'll get some rounds out of it. Little likelihood of an early KO, and the over/under will probably be 10 rounds or so. Nice style matchup, big event, no Money May in sight, everything looks nice.

Here's hoping it delivers.
iron_mike
I must be underrating Pac or overrating Cotto...Now at 143, 144, we all know Cotto had weight issues at 140, bing dropped by Torres amd almost KO'd by Corley, but 2 lbs won't make a difference imo, and Cotto didn't look great in the Clottey fight (I had it a draw or Clottey by at least 1 rd) I didn't watch the Jennings fight, but Cotto is a real ww, and I hope Pac's punches are hard enough to do some damage. The speed advantage he has hands down, but when was the last time Pac's chin was tested? Marquez II?
Box in Hand
Normally I would say Cotto's jab is the key to beating Manny like it did Shane. However, Cotto is damaged goods plus he has all sorts of legal and personal shit to handle. Not sure if he can beat Manny now. I got Manny by TKO (Cuts) round 7.
JD
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Jul 20 2009, 07:59 PM) *
I must be underrating Pac or overrating Cotto...Now at 143, 144, we all know Cotto had weight issues at 140, bing dropped by Torres amd almost KO'd by Corley, but 2 lbs won't make a difference imo, and Cotto didn't look great in the Clottey fight (I had it a draw or Clottey by at least 1 rd) I didn't watch the Jennings fight, but Cotto is a real ww, and I hope Pac's punches are hard enough to do some damage. The speed advantage he has hands down, but when was the last time Pac's chin was tested? Marquez II?

Cotto weighed 146 for the Clottey fight, so it is 1 pound he has to lose from where he most recently came in - if it were 3 pounds I think it would effect him, but one extra pound is really not much of an issue.

I think Cotto's heavy feet are going to be a real problem for him.
D-MARV
The fact that its for the welterweight title really waters this fight down.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:14 PM) *
The fact that its for the welterweight title really waters this fight down.

I don't see how, it's not like it is at 143...but if one of the straps being involved really impacts what it is you will be watching, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like nitpicking just for the sake of it. Cotto and his team said 145, they got the weight they wanted.

To each their own.
Jack 1000
This fight comes down to how well Manny takes Cotto's shots early and how much Margarito and his loaded gloves took out of Cotto. At this weight, I see Cotto as the harder puncher, but Manny as the more elusive fighter who can give Cotto problems with speed, angles, and pot-shots. I also think Mosley should be fighting Manny, as I thought Shane beat Cotto by a point. But there is probably more $$$ with the Latin-American populations interest in Cotto than there would be for Mosley.

It will be Cotto early or Manny late (on cuts.) Very unlikely that this goes to the cards.

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 21 2009, 12:02 AM) *
I think Cotto's heavy feet are going to be a real problem for him.

Agreed. Heavy feet spell doom against Pac.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 08:16 PM) *
I don't see how, it's not like it is at 143...but if one of the straps being involved really impacts what it is you will be watching, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like nitpicking just for the sake of it. Cotto and his team said 145, they got the weight they wanted.

To each their own.

It's whatever. One man will be 100% and the other will not.

JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 PM) *
It's whatever. One man will be 100% and the other will not.

Pacquiao is fighting at a weight that is clearly bigger than he should be at, and Cotto will shed 1 extra pound than he did for his last fight, as mentioned, this was the weight he and his team wanted. You are nitpicking for the sake of it...or because this fight is CLEARLY far more interesting and anticipated than Mayweather - Marquez.

This fight is "whatever" to you, and possibly only you.

This fight will generate a great deal of excitement, and for good reason. You can always choose not to watch it. Me personally, I am a boxing fan and I watch damn near every fight...this one will be one that I, and everyone I know, will be looking forward to immensely.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 08:45 PM) *
Pacquiao is fighting at a weight that is clearly bigger than he should be at, and Cotto will shed 1 extra pound than he did for his last fight, as mentioned, this was the weight he and his team wanted. You are nitpicking for the sake of it...or because this fight is CLEARLY far more interesting and anticipated than Mayweather - Marquez.

This fight is "whatever" to you, and possibly only you.

This fight will generate a great deal of excitement, and for good reason. You can always choose not to watch it. Me personally, I am a boxing fan and I watch damn near every fight...this one will be one that I, and everyone I know, will be looking forward to immensely.

Then don't FUCKIN FIGHT then.

I'll be watching this fight. Still doesn't erase the fact the little Manny has turned into De La Hoya
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 08:52 PM) *
Then don't FUCKIN FIGHT then.

I'll be watching this fight. Still doesn't erase the fact the little Manny has turned into De La Hoya

These two guys aren't like that, so they each made a concession to make a fight the fans want to see, that will sellout in no time, that will do well on PPV, that will entertain, and that will make them each a nice healthy paycheck. There is nothing at 140 for Pacquiao and this is the fight Cotto wants. Plain and simple.

You don't like it, don't watch it...but as you said, you will. But along the way you will whine and complain and nitpick for whatever reason. Just don't cry.

The rest of us boxing fans will eagerly anticipate it.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 09:05 PM) *
These two guys aren't like that, so they each made a concession to make a fight the fans want to see. There is nothing at 140 for Pacquiao and this is the fight Cotto wants. Plain and simple.

You don't like it, don't watch it...but as you said, you will. But along the way you will whine and complain and nitpick for whatever reason.

I'm just not a fan of this fight being a "catchweight"

Manny Pacquiao called Cotto out. He's challenging Cotto for Cotto's belt. Why the fuck does he have to make the fight at 145?
King Eugene
I'll watch the fight but I think Cotto's title shouldn't be at stake cause the fight isn't between 141-147 which is the WW limit. It may just be me but oh well. My eyes will be glued to the screen hoping Cotto drops his ass but knowing Manny is going to outbox the shit out of him.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 08:05 PM) *
These two guys aren't like that, so they each made a concession to make a fight the fans want to see, that will sellout in no time, that will do well on PPV, that will entertain, and that will make them each a nice healthy paycheck. There is nothing at 140 for Pacquiao and this is the fight Cotto wants. Plain and simple.

You don't like it, don't watch it...but as you said, you will. But along the way you will whine and complain and nitpick for whatever reason. Just don't cry.

Amen and pass the sanctioned violence.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 09:09 PM) *
I'm just not a fan of this fight being a "catchweight"

Manny Pacquiao called Cotto out. He's challenging Cotto for Cotto's belt. Why the fuck does he have to make the fight at 145?

Who cares about catchweights as long as the best guys fight each other and it is within reason.

The fight is ONE FUCKING POUND below where Cotto weighed for his last fight...it was a fight they both wanted, and they compromised to get here. Cotto and Pacquiao are both happy with it. Whatever...you don't like it, good for you. I can't convince you otherwise...like I said, to each his own.

Oh...and nice edit yanking out the Marquez comment...LOL.
JD
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 20 2009, 09:10 PM) *
Amen and pass the sanctioned violence.

Word. I cannot see how this fight disappoints.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 21 2009, 01:45 AM) *
You are nitpicking for the sake of it...or because this fight is CLEARLY far more interesting and anticipated than Mayweather - Marquez.

Amen to that.

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 21 2009, 01:52 AM) *
Still doesn't erase the fact the little Manny has turned into De La Hoya

What he is a money making machine? He has gone one better than DLH as he has a entire nation behind him & is a bona fide superstar.

What will be the real test as to who should get the bigger cut of a potential PBF vs Pac fight is what numbers they do on PPV with their respective fights. As PBF said a entire nation will be behind his opponent so therefore the PPV # should be enormous. If by some freak of chance the Pac vs Cotto fight generates a bigger # then that is ample ammunition for a 60/40 split in the bigger draw's favour.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 09:14 PM) *
Who cares about catchweights as long as the best guys fight each other and it is within reason.

The fight is ONE FUCKING POUND below where Cotto weighed for his last fight...it was a fight they both wanted, and they compromised to get here. Whatever...you don't like it, good for you. lol

Oh...and nice edit yanking out the Marquez comment...LOL.

Nobody cares about catchweights unless Floyd is involved.

D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2009, 09:20 PM) *
Amen to that.

What he is a money making machine? He has gone one better than DLH as he has a entire nation behind him & is a bona fide superstar.

What will be the real test as to who should get the bigger cut of a potential PBF vs Pac fight is what numbers they do on PPV with their respective fights. As PBF said a entire nation will be behind his opponent so therefore the PPV # should be enormous. If by some freak of chance the Pac vs Cotto fight generates a bigger # then that is ample ammunition for a 60/40 split in the bigger draw's favour.

Yep. Marquez draws bigger numbers than Cotto.
Sugar Q
I like Cotto in this one but I'm still waiting to see who trains him for this fight. He needs a savvy trainer for all the BS Roach will bring to the table. A different perspective would help Cotto to mentally prepare for this fight.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 21 2009, 02:25 AM) *
Yep. Marquez draws bigger numbers than Cotto.

We will see in the wash up. I doubt that PBF vs Marquez does better on PPV worldwide than Pac vs Cotto although if that is the case then I am happy to be proven wrong.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 20 2009, 09:38 PM) *
We will see in the wash up. I doubt that PBF vs Marquez does better on PPV worldwide than Pac vs Cotto although if that is the case then I am happy to be proven wrong.

LOL.

Obviously Cotto-Pac will do better. You have 2 superstars in this fight.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 09:23 PM) *
Nobody cares about catchweights unless Floyd is involved.

Wrong.

I have said multiple times that I am fine with the Mayweather - Marquez fight as a comeback for Floyd regardless of the fact that there are other fights I would want to see him in. And I am fairly certain that if it were Mayweather - Paccquiao at 145, you'd have a grin from ear to ear, as would I.
Keith
I dont see Marquez as a bigger ppv draw then Marquez. Cotto draws large from his island and the NYC area. Marquez will draw many from his own country but he is not in the same category as other past Mexican stars. I see it as equal for the most part. I do think Pac blows PBF out the water. Outside of the U.S. Pac will crush Floyd and I think that gap in the U.S. has probably closed considerably with his recent popularity surge.
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 20 2009, 09:52 PM) *
I dont see Marquez as a bigger ppv draw then Marquez. Cotto draws large from his island and the NYC area. Marquez will draw many from his own country but he is not in the same category as other past Mexican stars. I see it as equal for the most part. I do think Pac blows PBF out the water. Outside of the U.S. Pac will crush Floyd and I think that gap in the U.S. has probably closed considerably with his recent popularity surge.

LOL. I know Marquez isn't a bigger draw then Cotto.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 20 2009, 09:49 PM) *
And I am fairly certain that if it were Mayweather - Paccquiao at 145, you'd have a grin from ear to ear, as would I.

As long as it wasn't for the Welterweight championship I would.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:04 PM) *
LOL. I know Marquez isn't a bigger draw then Cotto.

ohmy.gif Sorry man. I must of missed the sarcasm when I was skimming. Hey man, I miss the PWill uppercut sig.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:05 PM) *
As long as it wasn't for the Welterweight championship I would.

LOL...OK.
Al Hata

Now I'll be pulling for Mayweather so I can see him fight the winner.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 21 2009, 02:40 AM) *
LOL.

Obviously Cotto-Pac will do better. You have 2 superstars in this fight.

No the real superstars are Floyd & JMM. That is what Floyd says & I believe him. This PPV will do at least a million buys. You have heard Floyd Marquez is a huge draw in Mexico & a bona fide superstar.

If this does less buys than Pac vs Cotto then Floyd should get no more than 45-55 split if they fought. That would be dependant on numbers of course anything up to 50,000 buys less than Pac = 5% reduction, 100,000 buys = 10% reduction & so on. That way Floyd would get a purse that is fair based on the amount of revenue he actually generates as the A side of a PPV. The same should apply for Pac of course & be based on their last PPV fights (ie: Cotto & JMM on PPV).

The Original MrFactor
Great fight. Looking forward to it. Manny will give maximum effort in the fight, but will ultimately wilt. I dont think Cotto has lost a step. I think he's the same guy since Margarito. I think Cotto bludgeons Manny's body until he wilts in the 1st half of the fight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
When this fight was first mooted I thought Cotto would eat him alive but now I'm not so sure.

Certainly if he can get to Manny's body then I'd say he'll take him out, but that's a big if. What I admire most about what Roach has done for Manny is take him from a slugger to athelete. The guy can really move in the ring and he seems a lot more patient now. Even in the Hatton fight he looked like he had all the time in the world.

He will blast Cotto straight down the pipes all night long and move out of range when Cotto gets near. For sure it won't be a 12 round chess match and that has to be good for boxing. I'll take Manny by wide UD.
D-MARV
I was drinking a little bit last night and I went back through my posts and realized I was a bit harsh in regards to Pacquiao. I still think the fight being at 145 is a bit gay, especially considering the fact that a welterweight title is being put on the line but I give Manny props for taking this fight. I expected more from him though. I assumed that we had an all time great on our hands but it's clear that Manny isn't cut from the same cloth as Duran or an Armstrong. I was holding him to that level and that's where my mistake kicked in. I'll defintely be watching this fight and hope that the winner fights the winner of Mayweather-Marquez.
STEVENSKI
It is a different time now though Marv. Top tier fighters fight two or three times per year & certain concessions get made to them. I agree that 145 should not be for the title but that is just the way it is.
caneman
I don't think it should be for the title when @ a catch weight but IMO, Pacman has big balls going after top guys that are naturally bigger then him! I am seeing a lot of hate for the guy & really don't understand why! He is what a fighter should be IMO! I'll add that while Pacman should be able to take Cotto, I still think he is going up too high in weight!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.