Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: David Haye decides to fight Valuev instead of Vitali???
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Byrd Man
Well this is interesting. ESPN reports that Haye decided to fight Valuev instead of Vitali Klitschko.

Let the Haye Hate begin. lol
Former cruiserweight champion David Haye will get a heavyweight title shot but it won't come against Vitali Klitschko, as has been in the works.

Instead, the former cruiserweight champion will challenge heavyweight titlist Nikolai Valuev on Nov. 7 in Germany after snubbing the deal to fight Klitschko, Haye's trainer and manager Adam Booth told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

The revelation was the end of a curious day. Klitschko manager Bernd Boente and adviser Shelly Finkel couldn't reach Booth to finalize a deal they thought they had agreed to for Klitschko-Haye to meet Sept. 12 at the 55,000-seat Commerzbank Arena in Frankfurt, Germany. The fight would have had live television coverage on HBO in the United States.
Fitz
Fuck, I hate the heavyweights.
D-MARV
Most people were picking Haye to get destroyed anyways. Good choice by Haye... This will lead to a bigger payday for a Klitschko fight as well as a good tune up.

WAR HAYE.
The Original MrFactor
Haye just killed any credibility he had... Vitaly and Wlad being snubbed AFTER all the shit talk in the world. Haye is an asshole!!! I dont blame either Klit if they never fight him. I hope Valuev stops him in the 1st round... An hell no I wont be buying it. I'll be sure to watch highlights on ESPN2...
Byrd Man
there was a decent comment on the ESPN board that I agree with on this:

The bolded parts are what I particularly agree with.

Klitschko is a no-win fight at this point. He refuses to fight anywhere but Germany now it seems. He also makes sure that he gets most of the purse, and that he gets an auto-rematch if he loses or quits because of injury. Unfortunately he is turning into his brother, which is sad, because Vitali has the skills and toughness (which his brother does NOT have) to be the most dominant fighter of this generation. He absolutely set the bar when he pounded Lennox Lewis. Sadly it all came crashing down because of injuries.

A cruiserweight shouldn't fight him, especially with so much going against him in the contract and such. If it were on more even ground and he were actually making a good purse then it makes sense to fight Vitali. But if he is going to get pounded anyway, then why go to Germany and make less money to do so? Smart move by Haye. He'll have a better chance against Valuev who is a big creampuff. Plus Haye becomes worth WAY more to Klitschko if he beats Valuev. Smart business move. Set up the possibility, move away from it... then re-visit it if his value goes upa nd he takes Valuev's title (which Klitschko desperately covets).
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jul 22 2009, 07:24 PM) *
there was a decent comment on the ESPN board that I agree with on this:

The bolded parts are what I particularly agree with.

Well that kinda changes things... lol... Haye is still an assholio...
Byrd Man
I've said before the stipulations in the Klitschko's contracts for Haye were absolutely ridiculous. So I think this is a brilliant move by Haye. He's naturally going to take some shit for all the trash he talked and then went to fight someone else, but that said, it's very smart. Fight Valuev who's WIDELY considered the worst titleholder at the time. If he beats him, then he has a title and has WAY more bargaining power, as far as neutral site, even purse, if a little slanted towards Wlad, and not have all these bullshit clauses and whatnot.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...ant-Valuev.html

Haye agreed to fight the 'Beast from the East' after becoming disillusioned with the way talks were progressing over his proposed Frankfurt date with WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in September.

Haye was originally scheduled to fight Vitali's brother Wladimir at Gelsenkirchen in June for the IBF and WBO titles.

But the Brit, 28, was forced to pull out after injuring his back training.

He said: "The reality was that I would not have been in control of my own destiny for quite a long while if I had signed the contract the Klitschko management group were putting in front of me.

"Basically they would have been able to tell me when and who I fight for quite a while to come.

"This way, when I beat Valuev later this year I will again be in control of my own destiny."
STEVENSKI
Good for Haye. I can't fault the man for having massive balls.
provo
This was a Business move a smart one! Especially if Haye is able to knockout Valuev big ass! The klitchsko fight will be worth more.
I just want 2 see someone Knockout out Valuev's big ass out with a hot one like ricky hatton got caught LOL,
And this shit better not be on PPV I aint paying for that lol
Romulus9
I hope Valuev knocks Haye out in the first round, thus knocking him out of the shot at either Klitschko that he had, TWICE, and walked away from.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 22 2009, 08:18 PM) *
I hope Valuev knocks Haye out in the first round, thus knocking him out of the shot at either Klitschko that he had, TWICE, and walked away from.

Haye will win 12 rounds.
King Eugene
Haye decisions him but will get caught with some good punches just cause he wont respect Harry The Henderson!
JD
F David Haye. Talks all this shit, than cancels the Wlad fight, and walks away from a deal on the Vitali fight.

Byrd Man
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 22 2009, 08:24 PM) *
F David Haye. Talks all this shit, than cancels the Wlad fight, and walks away from a deal on the Vitali fight.

Well he's gonna take his lumps as far as the press and the fans for all he said, and then turning around and doing this. However I maintain this was the smartest move for him, especially considering the ridiculous stipulations the Klitschkos were trying to get him to agree to. Tying him for another three fights against them, and not letting him fight other people if he won, that's kinda lame.

But as I said, he's gonna have to take his lumps. He earned them.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jul 23 2009, 04:05 AM) *
Well he's gonna take his lumps as far as the press and the fans for all he said, and then turning around and doing this. However I maintain this was the smartest move for him, especially considering the ridiculous stipulations the Klitschkos were trying to get him to agree to. Tying him for another three fights against them, and not letting him fight other people if he won, that's kinda lame.

I agree. Why give up all your options if you are lucky enough to win? Lets be real if Haye does end up getting a title then he is not a guy that is a long term champion so why make the vaginal brothers richer.
Jack 1000
Look on the bright side, at least he'll almost certainly beat the shit out of Valuev. Good business move. He will get a world title and be in a better bargaining position for title unifications. I just HOPE that he steamrolls the shit out of Valuev. (And for Haye's sake, let's hope it does NOT go to the cards.) We all saw what happened to Holyfield against Valuev. I still can't fathom how several non-American writers and the WBA President Gilberto Mendosa had Valuev slightly ahead in that fight. Everyone on American soil had that fight a huge win for Holyfield. I had Evander up 117-111.

Jack
Spyder
Haye made the smart move, but all that shit he talked makes him look foolish.

This will most likely set up a Haye-Holyfield fight...which is a pretty interesting matchup.
blackbelt2003
I prefer this fight, as it cleans up the heavyweight division that little bit more, providing, of course, Haye gets to unify withe the Klits afterwards.

And secondly, on Haye's part, it's a good strategic move because it adds to his legacy without being so big of a risk.

But YES, he deserves some shit for talking up a fight and then walking away from it.

Black
BGv2.0
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 23 2009, 06:35 AM) *
I prefer this fight, as it cleans up the heavyweight division that little bit more, providing, of course, Haye gets to unify withe the Klits afterwards.

And secondly, on Haye's part, it's a good strategic move because it adds to his legacy without being so big of a risk.

But YES, he deserves some shit for talking up a fight and then walking away from it.

Black

Not only that....BUT...it does prepare him for the sheer size of the Klits.....nowhere near the skill level...BUT...at the very least the size alone will not be so overwhelming when he does step in with one of the Klits should he get the win.

I myself think that is often a huge part of the problem for Klit challengers......they have never been in the ring with such a huge physical speciman....once they do get in there with them....it's s total mind fuck that makes them somehow think that staying on the outside will give them a chance.....when in actuality....it's the opposite....but I just think that sheer size difference often plays a role in the mindset of people that face the Klits.

If he gets in with Valuev....that should not be an aspect. If anything he could use this as a spring board to make the Wlad/Vitali fights even bigger than they were before.

Should he beat Valuev in impressive fashion....then fight and beat 1 or 2 other huge guys....like Thompson or Fields or even McBride...he could then call himself a giant slayer! lol

Imagine the shit talking he could do to set those fights up! lol

At the very least that would bring something interesting to the division...even if it is smoke and mirrors!
Method
this was the smartest move for him, especially considering the ridiculous stipulations the Klitschkos were trying to get him to agree to.

I agree...plus, all of his money was predicated on % of PPV sales. He was basically getting John Ruized (at the Roy Jones bargaining table).

Haye's mistake was that all of his shit talking was WAY too effective. It got him the fight right quick, but wasnt big enough to get everyone paid.

He should have came up, talked a little less smack, kicked the ass of a few, including VALUEV, built up some momentum, excitement, and anticipation, and THEN gone ballistic on Wladdy KLIT.

This looks bad, crying wolf, but I get it and have no problem with it.

Mother FUCK the Klitchko's.
Spyder
Fuck John Ruiz...I hate that motherfucker for single handedly destroying heavyweight boxing!

He refuses to go away, and refuses to allow the heavyweights to revive themselves. Fuck that guy!
Byrd Man
yeah when I saw Ruiz was trying to stop this shit so he could fight Valuev it pissed me off, but he DOES have a point.

Whether you think he should get the shot or not, he has been promised a shot for awhile now and they keep fucking him over and pushing him aside.

If I were Ruiz, I'd be pissed too.
STEVENSKI
I like Jawny. he may not have style & may fight somewhat ugly but his last few fights (fights that he probably should have won) he was the aggressor & made them somewhat watchable.
The Original MrFactor
I guess the question is... What would you do if you were in Ruiz shoes?? (Please STEVENSKI dont say kill myself, lol) Ruiz should, rightfully get a shot before Haye, due to his body of work and the so called promise. However from a fans point of view it sucks. Cant blame Ruiz for trying to get paid. Maybe they'll give him 500 grand to step aside or something...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This is a good move for Haye. Who gives a shit how you look to the public. As long as you're getting the right fights, getting paid, and are happy that's all the matters. Honestly, I think both Klitchko's beat him right now (especially Wlad) and Valuev is a more winnable fight. Valuev just got beat by a 46 year old Holyfield and got beat by Chagaev. I think Haye domintes Valuev and even stops him. Haye is a solid fighter and has some nice power in that right hand. If he beats Valuev, who's A LOT bigger than him, it looks good to the mainstream boxing fan. It could possibly build up a fight with either Klitchko brother, and it would even be a unification bout.

Also, I can't blame John Ruiz either. Dude has never backed down from a tough fight, and he still wants some more. I love that, but he has already had two shots at Valuev. If he can win another fight, then yea he can be in discussion for a title shot. However, right now he should take some step aside money, take another fight, and wait his turn.
Warlord
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 22 2009, 06:41 PM) *
Good for Haye. I can't fault the man for having massive balls.

Talking mad shit about your opponent, only to turn around and pull out due to injury; and then decline to fight the next best challenger in order to fight an inferior one does not constitue balls.

If Haye had massive balls he'd fight Vitali for his belt, wherever, whenever. He wouldn't talk mad shit only to puss out in the end and fight Yeti instead.
Warlord
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jul 22 2009, 11:05 PM) *

I'm fucking sick of all this bullshit about "smart business decisions."

Motherfucker you're a mother fucking fighter, not a godamn business man. Fighters fight. You never hear this bullshit in MMA. You never hear fighters turning down big fights for "business reasons."

People who shit on MMA and then turn around and laud guys like David Haye are what's wrong with boxing today. If you were a CONFIDENT, skilled, dynamic, exciting fighter you'd take on all challengers in whatever order they appeared, smash them, make your name and make your money. You wouldn't play the circuit like some post 70's nerd on Frogger, cutting left and right and then left again, before finally making your choice on where to cross and getting crushed anyway because you were too stupid to begin with.

Fuck these pussy ass fighters. You guys talk all the shit you want, at least the fucking Klits make mother-fucking fights. Haye ducks plain and simple and you guys lick his nutsack, calling it a smart business decision? Go post on quote.com if you want to debate smart business decisions.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 23 2009, 10:13 PM) *
I guess the question is... What would you do if you were in Ruiz shoes?? (Please STEVENSKI dont say kill myself, lol) Ruiz should, rightfully get a shot before Haye, due to his body of work and the so called promise. However from a fans point of view it sucks. Cant blame Ruiz for trying to get paid. Maybe they'll give him 500 grand to step aside or something...

First off,Steve wouldn't say kill myself when it comes to Ruiz..Ruiz will fight anyone and is not gonna get pushed aside for a cruiserweight..Ruiz has found his hunger again and he is fighting better because of it..He changed his style around and isn't hugging as much like he used to..Everyone forgets the Ruiz who fought pre-Tua..Haye just wants to get a belt the easiest way possible..Why else would he decide Valuev over Vitali??He knows his power wouldnt faze Vitali and that Vitali would dominate him..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 24 2009, 03:13 AM) *

I'd kill myself if I was Ruiz. LOL.

I can't fault Ruiz as far as making fights as he is trying his best to make fights. I feel sorry for the guy to be honest as he still gets bagged for his knockout loss to Tua when he has never been knocked out since. He has lost some very close fights & has tried recently to make his style more agressive. I really feel sorry for him as he is using his limited skills to the best of his ability. Perhaps if other fighters in his division were a bit more agressive & used their skills to their full extent then heavyweight boxing would be in better shape.

QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 24 2009, 06:20 AM) *
Talking mad shit about your opponent, only to turn around and pull out due to injury; and then decline to fight the next best challenger in order to fight an inferior one does not constitue balls.

If Haye had massive balls he'd fight Vitali for his belt, wherever, whenever. He wouldn't talk mad shit only to puss out in the end and fight Yeti instead.

So you are a person who thinks a fighter should fight injured? You also think that they should sign away the options on future fights & get locked into a long term deal with having to fight both Klit bros if he happens to beat one of them? Sorry I don't buy that & the Klit bros should be called on their contract bullshit.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 24 2009, 02:51 AM) *
I can't fault Ruiz as far as making fights as he is trying his best to make fights. I feel sorry for the guy to be honest as he still gets bagged for his knockout loss to Tua when he has never been knocked out since. He has lost some very close fights & has tried recently to make his style more agressive. I really feel sorry for him as he is using his limited skills to the best of his ability. Perhaps if other fighters in his division were a bit more agressive & used their skills to their full extent then heavyweight boxing would be in better shape.

So you are a person who thinks a fighter should fight injured? You also think that they should sign away the options on future fights & get locked into a long term deal with having to fight both Klit bros if he happens to beat one of them? Sorry I don't buy that & the Klit bros should be called on their contract bullshit.

I know you're just messin..
STEVENSKI
I seem to have this strange man love for Jawny. I don't know why.

Warlord
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 24 2009, 03:51 AM) *

No, I'm just the type of person who hates guys that talk mad shit and then don't back it up. And the reason they don't back it up is because of a "good business decision."

Haye was perfectly willing to sign those contracts before, neither he nor his fans have any right to bring those up as an excuse now. Injury excuses are fine, so feel free to continue propogating those. But those injuries didn't bar him from fighting Vitali, only Wlad.
D-MARV
Let's not forget that the Vitali fight was never official. Haye said that the reports of the fight being signed were not true. I believe him.
Col Reb
Is it true that in Haye's contract, he had to fight Klit #1, then Klit #2, then rematch with Klit #1, essentially needing to go 3-0 in order to have the belts? I remember hearing that awhile back. Personally, I think it was smart of him to take the Valuev fight instead; it gives him a belt in a relatively easy fight that will help with leverage on a future Klit fight. However, I don't like the way his management handled negotiations, and I don't like his blatant disrespect for the Klit brothers.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jul 24 2009, 01:29 AM) *
I'm fucking sick of all this bullshit about "smart business decisions."

Motherfucker you're a mother fucking fighter, not a godamn business man. Fighters fight. You never hear this bullshit in MMA. You never hear fighters turning down big fights for "business reasons."

People who shit on MMA and then turn around and laud guys like David Haye are what's wrong with boxing today. If you were a CONFIDENT, skilled, dynamic, exciting fighter you'd take on all challengers in whatever order they appeared, smash them, make your name and make your money. You wouldn't play the circuit like some post 70's nerd on Frogger, cutting left and right and then left again, before finally making your choice on where to cross and getting crushed anyway because you were too stupid to begin with.

Fuck these pussy ass fighters. You guys talk all the shit you want, at least the fucking Klits make mother-fucking fights. Haye ducks plain and simple and you guys lick his nutsack, calling it a smart business decision? Go post on quote.com if you want to debate smart business decisions.

Because there is zero money in MMA at the moment! AND..in MMA one loss does not have the equal affect one loss does in Boxing. Losses are expected in MMA....with Boxing they are often inexcusable and set you back months or years.

BUT....with the continued growth of MMA....it's coming....don't worry.

I mean hell you already got competing organizations that do not allow matchups....that was an aspect that was once nonexistant in MMA...but is now rearing it's ugly head.

You will get no argument from me that Haye over ran his mouth and it retrospect it does in fact make him look stupid and questionable.....HOWEVER....that being said still does not take away from the fact that the contract he was offered with Wlad was INSANE and would not have been a smart move.

When you have two brothers basically strong arming you... it IS smart to step back and look at how you can gain equal footing.

Taking a belt away from a 3rd giant (which will be an eaiser fight as well) and then having a championship belt gains you MAJOR leverage and maybe the next time you sign to fight...these guys won't try to fuck you over as they did in the first contract.

I mean....let's get serious.....It's asking a hell of a lot for Haye to beat one of these guys ONCE....but they toss up a cotract that makes him fight them 3x....I don't care how much of a supposed badass you are...even a prime Tyson would be a F'N FOOL to take that package!

JD
LOL...if Burnstein gets this fight blocked, David Haye done f'd himself.

He already may have blown his chance to end up on HBO any time soon, and he will likely get boned out of a shot at either one of the Klitschko's after first canceling a fight with Wlad on two weeks notice for reasons that are still unclear, and then coming to an agreement to fight Vitali only to walk away.
Maxy
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 24 2009, 12:56 PM) *

He already may have blown his chance to end up on HBO any time soon, and he will likely get boned out of a shot at either one of the Klitschko's after first canceling a fight with Wlad on two weeks notice for reasons that are still unclear, and then coming to an agreement to fight Vitali only to walk away.

Nah, Haye might have made himself look like a bit of a dick but at the end of the day he's the most marketable heavyweight out there right now...he's capable of calling the shots should he beat Valuev and the Klits will see the $ signs and they'll want a piece of him...

Then again it could all go tits up and he'll lose to Valuev and his boasts will haunt him forever....

I've got to take him over the giant man though....shit, if he doesn't do a job on Valuev he might as well saddle off back down to cruiser...
Spyder
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 24 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Nah.

HBO is running a boxing trailer on demand right now that lists their up and comers...Haye and Arreola are the only heavyweights. Granted, they also have Victor Ortiz on there...

laugh.gif

ROLL DEEP
Personally, I dont blame Haye for fighting Valuev.

It is the best move for him personally and I know if I was in his position, I'd do the same. Anything that can get me more weight when negotiating a title shot against the Klitschkos - which will mean more money - then, yes, Id do it too.

Sign to fight the Klit brothers 57 times in their backgarden? Pffffft....no thanks.

Haye will fight and beat Valuev, grab a title, get his name down in history as a heavweight champ, earn some 's and set up a bigger and better payday with the Klitschkos.

I dont really give a damn about all the shit he's talked....its entertaining and we all know its only done to promote and sell tickets, so I dont take it personally now the Vitali or Wladimir fight isnt coming off.
Jack 1000
I certainly hope that Haye can get Valuev out of there any way shape or form. But based on what happened to Holyfield against Valuev, I can't see Haye winning on the cards in Germany. Valuev is part of the trio of sick nothing heavyweights that everyone except the WBA wishes would just get blown off the face of the earth. Somehow, Valuev I predict will win a SD 117-111 Haye (The closest to reality) 115-114 Valuev, and 116-112 Valuev.

With Valuev, these international judges must think that clinching and holding counts for effective aggression.

Jack
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 24 2009, 05:35 PM) *
I certainly hope that Haye can get Valuev out of there any way shape or form. But based on what happened to Holyfield against Valuev, I can't see Haye winning on the cards in Germany. Valuev is part of the trio of sick nothing heavyweights that everyone except the WBA wishes would just get blown off the face of the earth. Somehow, Valuev I predict will win a SD 117-111 Haye (The closest to reality) 115-114 Valuev, and 116-112 Valuev.

With Valuev, these international judges must think that clinching and holding counts for effective aggression.

Jack

IF Valuev is as slow and lumbering as he was with Holyfield....I think Haye has a wonderful chance of running away with a UD.....HOWEVER....with the fight being where it is.....Haye will get jobbed just liike Holy did unless he KO's Valueve....which is no easy feat.

As a matter of fact....that is my call for the fight.

Haye lands the cleaner, sharper punches, eating only the occasional decent punch from Valuev, Haye displays an easy defense related to making the goliath miss.....everyone sees it as an easy UD for Haye...but the final call is a SD for Valuev....draw if Haye gets a KD.....either way...Valuev keeps his belt.
Maxy
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Sep 25 2009, 01:50 PM) *
IF Valuev is as slow and lumbering as he was with Holyfield....I think Haye has a wonderful chance of running away with a UD.....HOWEVER....with the fight being where it is.....Haye will get jobbed just liike Holy did unless he KO's Valueve....which is no easy feat.

As a matter of fact....that is my call for the fight.

Haye lands the cleaner, sharper punches, eating only the occasional decent punch from Valuev, Haye displays an easy defense related to making the goliath miss.....everyone sees it as an easy UD for Haye...but the final call is a SD for Valuev....draw if Haye gets a KD.....either way...Valuev keeps his belt.

Yeah I agree. Haye needs to lay Valuev out for the count if he's to get the win and I just don't know if he's capable of doing that.

Hope he can.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Maxy @ Sep 25 2009, 04:12 PM) *
Yeah I agree. Haye needs to lay Valuev out for the count if he's to get the win and I just don't know if he's capable of doing that.

Hope he can.

Honestly....I just don't think anybody is capable of doing that. First of all just to reach the freaks head you have to lift off of your backfoot losing leverage and a large amount of power and then there is the fact that his acromegaly makes his neck the size of a small tree in the Black forrest in Germany....

it all equates not being able to knock this big SOB down or out.

His sheer overwhelming bulk is his ONLY asset.
AussieLad
Anyone reckon a sustained body attack from a big puncher like Haye could force a stoppage? I mean its a pretty big target. Get in and out, bang hard and often to the floating ribs, and forget the head unless Valuev needs to lean over mid round to tie his shoe laces?
Byrd Man
to be honest I can't imagine Valuev coming in and doing the same piss poor job of fighting he did against Holyfield. Two fights in a row doing that? No way.

If he DOES, then he needs to never be allowed to fight again.
King Eugene

What a freakin monster!
STEVENSKI
Considering Haye is 6'5" he looks like a midget next to the beast from the east
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 29 2009, 06:24 AM) *
Considering Haye is 6'5" he looks like a midget next to the beast from the east

Looks like a Super Heavy vs. a Jr. Middle
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jul 23 2009, 12:35 AM) *

Black

Many fans expect the fight to happen... Haye need credibility
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.