Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reassesment of Cotto Judah...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
Cotto definitely had problems with Judah's straight left hand and counter right uppercut.

Pacquiao doesn't punch as hard but, unlike Judah, will let his hands go.

Thoughts?
provo
This will be a bloody fight Cotto gets stoped he's done! Has always showed weakness "that he has no defense" is flat footed and sits on his punches any Fighter who moves will kick his ass , pac will throw 3 punches and hit , while cotto will sit on his punches and try and counter and pac will bounce out and come back in and counter ! No way cotto wins this! Another fight to make pac look great!
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I kind of feel the same way Provo. When Judah let his hands go in that fight he gave Cotto problems. Pacquiao has the speed to give Cotto these problems too. However, Pacquiao will let his hands go every round and has the power to make Cotto respect him. Cotto's only shot is to land some nice body shots early to get Pacquiao not to move so much. If that happens, who knows maybe Cotto can wear him down, but I don't think that scenario will play out. I think Pacquiao will box much the way he has in his last three fights. He's in and out with combos, and that speed will trouble Cotto.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Jul 24 2009, 12:48 AM) *
I kind of feel the same way Provo. When Judah let his hands go in that fight he gave Cotto problems. Pacquiao has the speed to give Cotto these problems too. However, Pacquiao will let his hands go every round and has the power to make Cotto respect him. Cotto's only shot is to land some nice body shots early to get Pacquiao not to move so much. If that happens, who knows maybe Cotto can wear him down, but I don't think that scenario will play out. I think Pacquiao will box much the way he has in his last three fights. He's in and out with combos, and that speed will trouble Cotto.

But Cotto still KO'd Judah. Pac is smaller than Judah. Judah fought one of the best fights of his career against Cotto and still lost. Cotto will neutralize Pac's darting in and out with a very good hard jab that will eventually frustrate Manny into a brawl. Then the bodyshots will come. The janitors will be sweeping up shortly after round 5 or 6. Cotto will destroy Pacquiao.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Jul 24 2009, 12:15 AM) *
Cotto definitely had problems with Judah's straight left hand and counter right uppercut.

Pacquiao doesn't punch as hard but, unlike Judah, will let his hands go.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't say that Judah punches harder than Pacquiao.
Keith
I dont think the Judah fight is relevant. Other then being southpaws , Judah and Pac have little else in common. Even Cotto is a different fighter now then he was 3 years ago.
JD
Judah is gassed after 4 rounds and does not punch from nearly as many angles.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 24 2009, 06:22 AM) *
I wouldn't say that Judah punches harder than Pacquiao.

I would.

Judah, as a welter, has legitimate one punch KO power in the left hand.

Pacquiao is NOT KO'ing any welters with one punch...
BigG
Judah IMO has more a bit more hand speed and power than Pac...but Pac has serious hand speed too and power..and he's better at everything else. And he doesnt fade. I really cant make a pick yet...but Cotto vs Pacquiao will be an incredible war..thats my prediction as of now.
BigG
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 24 2009, 11:22 AM) *
I dont think the Judah fight is relevant. Other then being southpaws , Judah and Pac have little else in common. Even Cotto is a different fighter now then he was 3 years ago.

I don't think he is. Look at his last 4 fights.

Shane Mosley - Super tough fighter with alot of experience, skill. Won by close decision.
Antonio Margarito - Super tough fighter with incredible chin and a legit size advantage. Looked good until got stopped late....and who knows if Margarito cheated?
Michael Jennings - Decent contender with decent handspeed...gets crushed in 5 one sided rounds.
Joshua Clottey - A super tough fighter with GREAT defense, solid chin, big welterweight...Cotto wins a close decision.

I really don't think Pac would have an easy time with Joshua Clottey or Shane Mosley.
Keith
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 24 2009, 11:34 AM) *
I don't think he is. Look at his last 4 fights.

Shane Mosley - Super tough fighter with alot of experience, skill. Won by close decision.
Antonio Margarito - Super tough fighter with incredible chin and a legit size advantage. Looked good until got stopped late....and who knows if Margarito cheated?
Michael Jennings - Decent contender with decent handspeed...gets crushed in 5 one sided rounds.
Joshua Clottey - A super tough fighter with GREAT defense, solid chin, big welterweight...Cotto wins a close decision.

I really don't think Pac would have an easy time with Joshua Clottey or Shane Mosley.

Where was I making predictions of who was going to win? What do his last 4 fights prove about similarities between Judah and Pac? I think its pretty clear that Cotto has at least tried to become a more skilled "boxer" over the last 4 fights. He hasnt been simply bulldozing foward to destroy his opponents the way he had up until Judah. I really have no idea what point you are trying to make.
BigG
Oh, I thought you were implying that Cotto is somehow past his prime, by saying he was a different fighter 3 years ago......my bad....I see alot of people saying that, I don't agree with it. I just think he's been fighting some tough guys lately.
JD
I think Cotto should have taken a solid year off after the Margarito fight.
Keith
QUOTE (BigG @ Jul 24 2009, 01:11 PM) *
Oh, I thought you were implying that Cotto is somehow past his prime, by saying he was a different fighter 3 years ago......my bad....I see alot of people saying that, I don't agree with it. I just think he's been fighting some tough guys lately.

We agree then. I've been picking Cotto too.
thehype
LOL.

Zab Judah is NOT that much bigger than Pacquiao. I keep telling you guys you're going to be shocked when you see Manny looking just as big as Cotto. He's faster than Zab Judah and I'll even go on record saying that he hits harder than Judah.

Pacquiao TKO 10

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Keith
QUOTE (thehype @ Jul 24 2009, 01:44 PM) *
LOL.

Zab Judah is NOT that much bigger than Pacquiao. I keep telling you guys you're going to be shocked when you see Manny looking just as big as Cotto. He's faster than Zab Judah and I'll even go on record saying that he hits harder than Judah.

Pacquiao TKO 10

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If they are the same size, how was it that Manny weighed 138 against Hatton and Miguel needs a catchweight of 145?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I also don't think that Pac is much smaller than Judah. Judah is a 140 pounder, which isn't all that much bigger than Pac. Also, Judah didn't fight one of the best fights of his career against Cotto. He had two or three solid rounds, and then he wouldn't let his hands go. Yes, it was an entertaining fight, but Judah could have performed a lot better (story of his career). I really don't think Cotto will be able to deal with Pacquiao darting in and out. He'll try to throw the jab, but he's just not fast enough to keep up. Cotto's only shot is to try and get Pac on the inside and rough him up so he can't move as well later in the fight. Although Cotto's not washed up or anything like that, the Margarito fight did take a lot out of him. He didn't look good against Clottey at all imo. I think Pac will stop him in 8.
thehype
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 24 2009, 01:57 PM) *
If they are the same size, how was it that Manny weighed 138 against Hatton and Miguel needs a catchweight of 145?

I didn't say they were the same size...I said he would look just as big, meaning he's not going to look small next to Cotto.

For the record, I don't put much stock into a fighter's weight during the weigh-in. Paul Williams can suck down to 147, but that's nowhere near his walkaround weight. He's just fortunate enough to be able to make that weight and thus have a big advantage over a lot of other fighters that fight at that weight.

What's more important to me is how much a fighter weighs when he actually steps into the ring to fight.

When Manny fought Ricky Hatton, he actually weighed 148 pounds when he stepped into the ring that night. The reason why he WANTS (note: WANTS...not needs) the catchweight of 145 is to gain an advantage over Cotto, a guy who can no longer make those lower weights so easily. Come fight night, when both fighters step into the ring, I will not be suprised to see Manny Pacquiao weigh around 148 pounds while Cotto might weigh something like 152 pounds. Those five pounds are not going to be noticeable or make a difference in the fight.

Manny and Roach have a lot of people fooled into believing that he's a small fighters, when the truth of the matter is that he walks around weighing 155 pounds. He's not as small as a lot of people think.
Mino
They will be about the same size and Cotto will be a lil worse for the wear starting out having to come in at 145, I have never rooted against Cotto but I have a feeling he is going to get destroyed via the way ODLH did
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.