Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Williams really that avoided...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Col Reb
I've been frustrated with P Will not getting a big fight, but I'm even more disappointed in the way that he dismissed a Clottey fight in an interview, saying he doesn't fight losers. You can't say "anyone from 147-160" if you're not willing to face a top 5 guy coming off a close decision loss for a title. If P Will were really serious about fighting the best, he'd take the very short of end of the stick with Pavlik or even take fights against guys like Clottey. He could even become a mandatory for some guys, forcing their hand a little more. While I think he gets avoided by the best guys, he needs to make them offers they can't refuse until he can become the big money draw that a Mayewather or Cotto is. At that point, he'll have no trouble finding big fights.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Jul 25 2009, 04:18 PM) *
I've been frustrated with P Will not getting a big fight, but I'm even more disappointed in the way that he dismissed a Clottey fight in an interview, saying he doesn't fight losers. You can't say "anyone from 147-160" if you're not willing to face a top 5 guy coming off a close decision loss for a title. If P Will were really serious about fighting the best, he'd take the very short of end of the stick with Pavlik or even take fights against guys like Clottey. He could even become a mandatory for some guys, forcing their hand a little more. While I think he gets avoided by the best guys, he needs to make them offers they can't refuse until he can become the big money draw that a Mayewather or Cotto is. At that point, he'll have no trouble finding big fights.

i kinda dont blame him for not fighting clottey... im on the side that thought clottey actually lost to cotto (i know some that feel deeply cotto won)... clottey had cotto beat and wouldnt or i guess couldnt close the show... if he (williams) fought him (clottey) and beat him easily like i would think he would he doesnt gain much off that fight... in my opinion.. i do agree with you that these guys need to take short money some times to get the fights they need to propel them into bigger fights... thats one thing thats not happening in boxing anymore...
JLUVBABY
can one of the admins. explain to me why my topic i posted on manny pac. and the black fighters was deleted?....
D-MARV
Williams aint really that avoided. There are plenty of people that would fight him. Just not the people he wants. It's common for a fighter to label themselves the "most avoided" in hopes to pull a name in.

I see no reason why Williams should fight Clottey.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 12:33 AM) *
Williams aint really that avoided. There are plenty of people that would fight him. Just not the people he wants. It's common for a fighter to label themselves the "most avoided" in hopes to pull a name in.

I see no reason why Williams should fight Clottey.

Agree with you 100%.
Thegreatequalizer
yeah, i don't know. don't talk shit about no one wanting to fight and then someone steps up and then turn them down. clottey-cotto was razor thin. it's a fight that williams could dominate and force his way into bigger fights. fans don't want to see sitting around and talking. get in the ring and fight!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jul 26 2009, 03:00 PM) *
yeah, i don't know. don't talk shit about no one wanting to fight and then someone steps up and then turn them down. clottey-cotto was razor thin. it's a fight that williams could dominate and force his way into bigger fights. fans don't want to see sitting around and talking. get in the ring and fight!

There you have it. It's a fight that Williams is likely to dominate on the cards. Williams is going after the likes of Pavlik and Mosley. He doesn't need to fight Clottey. Unless he knocks him out (which is HIGhLY unlikely) that fight would do nothing for PWill except put him back in the same position he's in now.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:09 PM) *
There you have it. It's a fight that Williams is likely to dominate on the cards. Williams is going after the likes of Pavlik and Mosley. He doesn't need to fight Clottey. Unless he knocks him out (which is HIGhLY unlikely) that fight would do nothing for PWill except put him back in the same position he's in now.

well, he's not getting the mosley fight. or anyone else at welter, which is where he claims he wants to be. beating clottey could get him those fights, but fighting pavlik won't. but that's cool. he can get his ass kicked by pavlik instead.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Jul 26 2009, 03:12 PM) *
well, he's not getting the mosley fight. or anyone else at welter, which is where he claims he wants to be. beating clottey could get him those fights, but fighting pavlik won't. but that's cool. he can get his ass kicked by pavlik instead.

He never said he wants to be at Welter. He said he would fight at Welter if it were a big fight. Clottey IS NOT a big fight.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:19 PM) *
He never said he wants to be at Welter. He said he would fight at Welter if it were a big fight. Clottey IS NOT a big fight.

I still have a gut feeling he winds up with a Mosley fight. I think at this point Mosley realizes he isnt fighting Pac or PBF for at least a year. Neither of them is going to risk fighting Shane until they themselves meet. In Mosley's eyes, Berto is below him or they would of already met sometime during the past 2 years. I know he doesnt WANT to fight PWill because its a possible loss but he knows to boxing fans its a big fight.
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 26 2009, 03:52 PM) *
I still have a gut feeling he winds up with a Mosley fight. I think at this point Mosley realizes he isnt fighting Pac or PBF for at least a year. Neither of them is going to risk fighting Shane until they themselves meet. In Mosley's eyes, Berto is below him or they would of already met sometime during the past 2 years. I know he doesnt WANT to fight PWill because its a possible loss but he knows to boxing fans its a big fight.

Even if Mosley takes the fight with Williams he will get MAJOR props from me. If Shane was to beat Williams (which isn't entirely impossible) he would be the best fighter in this era. (Including Pac)
HaydelHammer
no fighter is avoided entirely ...there is always someone willing to fight them.

in williams case...he's paid his dues he feels and the top guys ( $$$$$$$$$) are the fights he wants and he feels he deserves...not clottey....wtf is there to gain fighting and dominating clottey in his eyes...seriously?...and I agree with P Will.

Somebody with a belt and big name needs to step up and shut paul up if they got the balls. He said he's the man from 47 and will go up to 60 or even 68 I believe.....why not "try him" and shut him up.....nobody that is worth a damn from a draw, title, $$$$ POV seems to want to risk it ....thus he is being avoided in his view.

just my .02 that don't mean sh*t...LOL
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:19 PM) *

i saw an interview with dan goossen talking about how he'll take on people at middle and stuff, but that williams is a welter and that's where he wants to fight. i don't know, i was taking dan's word for it.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Even if Mosley takes the fight with Williams he will get MAJOR props from me. If Shane was to beat Williams (which isn't entirely impossible) he would be the best fighter in this era. (Including Pac)

Thats what I mean. Payday aside, I think he wants to beat PBF or Pac for the same reason. I really think Shane dislikes the idea that someone is walking around at his weight saying "I am the greatest of all time" or "I'm #1 pfp". I, like you, believe a win over PWill accomplishes the same thing... if not the general public then at least among fight fans. Thats why Mosley vs PWill is not dead in my eyes as the next fight for both of them... especially considering neither of them has anything of substance lined up.
D-MARV
Williams wants to fight guys like Floyd, Shane, Manny, and Cotto because that's where the money is. He ain't fighting Clottey. At least not now. There's no reason to fight him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (keith @ Jul 26 2009, 04:56 PM) *
Thats what I mean. Payday aside, I think he wants to beat PBF or Pac for the same reason. I really think Shane dislikes the idea that someone is walking around at his weight saying "I am the greatest of all time" or "I'm #1 pfp". I, like you, believe a win over PWill accomplishes the same thing... if not the general public then at least among fight fans. Thats why Mosley vs PWill is not dead in my eyes as the next fight for both of them... especially considering neither of them has anything of substance lined up.

I don't think Mosley would fight PWill until he gets a big pay day first. And he deserves it. Arum said that if Pacquiao beats Cotto then Mosley could be next. So who knows. I know Mosley should fight someone though. Berto seems to be the logical pick. But Berto has priced himself out.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 04:08 PM) *
I don't think Mosley would fight PWill until he gets a big pay day first. And he deserves it. Arum said that if Pacquiao beats Cotto then Mosley could be next. So who knows. I know Mosley should fight someone though. Berto seems to be the logical pick. But Berto has priced himself out.

when did berto price himself out?.. last i knew mosley flat out turned his nose up at the fight with berto... if i am correct in thinking it could have and should have been mosley in the ring with berto in his last fight instead of urango... that being said lets say pac beats cotto and fights mosley... mosley will have set on the shelf with no action and at his age he can grow old at any time he needs to have stayed active and as of now he has nothing even on the table as far as possible fights... if berto is indeed asking for more money now i dont blame the guy... they tried to make a mosley fight already... now all of a sudden mosley and his people see's berto was and as of right now is his biggest fight and all of a sudden wants the fight?...lol... i'd ask for some crazy money now too just because... as good as mosley is he doesnt have that kind of star power to pick and choose his fights like that, he was called out by a fellow belt holder and turned the fight down.. he should be in that position to be a shot caller but he just is not...

as for paul williams unless its a mega million jackpot kinda fight we will never see shane in the same ring as paul williams... thats a fight i am sure we will never see... if cotto beats pac and cant secure a fight with money may. i could see that fight being made... cotto will fight anybody...
STEVENSKI
Mosley should go beat Hattons brain in at 140 to get acclimatized to the weight & do it in England.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 27 2009, 08:04 AM) *
Mosley should go beat Hattons brain in at 140 to get acclimatized to the weight & do it in England.

At this point in his career, Hatton doesn't need to get brutalized any longer. The first left hook Mosley throws would send everybody home.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 27 2009, 01:27 PM) *
At this point in his career, Hatton doesn't need to get brutalized any longer. The first left hook Mosley throws would send everybody home.

You left out "& get Shane PAID".

Regardless of Hatton's 2 losses he would sell out a arena in Manchester & generate a big gate & is a bigger money fight that any other one Shane could line up.
Keith
Mosley v Hatton is a great match. It would be like watching an Early Tyson fight... Just waiting for the KO. It would be funny to watch.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 27 2009, 08:30 AM) *
You left out "& get Shane PAID".

Regardless of Hatton's 2 losses he would sell out a arena in Manchester & generate a big gate & is a bigger money fight that any other one Shane could line up.

I would love for Shane to get that fight but you know Hatton's people aint going for that.
JD
Hatton is going to fight, and beat Amir Khan.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 27 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Hatton is going to fight, and beat Amir Khan.

I sure as hell hope he does. For some reason I just dont like that fucka! He reminds me of a poor mans Prince Naseem.

As far as Williams vs. Clottey. It doesn't do a thing for Williams but puts Clottey back in the spotlight. Someone said that Williams should fight and beat Pavlik before he tries to secure those big fights with the WW. I just dont see that happening. If he beats Pavlik aint no damn way in the world any of those WW's will go near him. Besides he'd end up defending his titles at middleweight. His best bet is to face Pavlik. Its a win win situation for him. Either he beats him and becomes the middleweight champ or he lose, give some of the bigger names at lower weights more confidence as to thinking he's more beatable than he is and they'll step up and challenge him. We shall see though! I just dont see Mosley taking on Williams though.
provo
LOL,king eugene! I feel u on that .. I can't stand Amir Khan ,another prince LOL, I want 2 see amir knocked out ,he fuking sucks he don't fight anyone lol, throw him with nate campbell or bradley they would be the shit out of him ,hatton would also kick his ass!
Hatton and mosley would be a good fight ,I don't see shane dominating hatton
And as far as williams vs clottey ! That better not be on ppv ,but that shit on espn friday night fights LOL, paul williams is a good fighter but he's boring not a attraction that's why know one wants to fight him , paul williams shouldn't even be a welterweight ... he needs to be fighting guys like pavlik and dawson , and he wouldn't do shit against them...
King Eugene
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 27 2009, 10:29 PM) *
LOL,king eugene! I feel u on that .. I can't stand Amir Khan ,another prince LOL, I want 2 see amir knocked out ,he fuking sucks he don't fight anyone lol, throw him with nate campbell or bradley they would be the shit out of him ,hatton would also kick his ass!
Hatton and mosley would be a good fight ,I don't see shane dominating hatton
And as far as williams vs clottey ! That better not be on ppv ,but that shit on espn friday night fights LOL, paul williams is a good fighter but he's boring not a attraction that's why know one wants to fight him , paul williams shouldn't even be a welterweight ... he needs to be fighting guys like pavlik and dawson , and he wouldn't do shit against them...

Boring? You sure your talking bout the same Paul Williams as the rest of us? The same one who throws almost 1000 punches a fight, the one who wont use his height cause all he wants to do is brawl? hmmmm..... nea.gif
Col Reb
I want to see Hatton return, but not against Mosley. He needs to be brought back slowly to regain confidence. Hopefully he can fight Khan in another year, but I would hate to see him have a bad performance in such a big British fight by taking it too soon.

By the way, why is his brother Matthew fighting Zab instead of taking that title shot? I know Zab is a bigger name, but I'd rather grab a belt and then look for the big fight. If he gets destroyed by Zab, there will probably be no title shot in the future. I don't know how they match, but it seems like a huge step up in class for Matthew.
caneman
1. Paul Williams (37-1)

Williams could land a big fall fight with middleweight champ Kelly Pavlik, but only if Williams' camp -- promoter Dan Goossen and manager Al Haymon -- comes to the realization that it's Pavlik who generates the money. Williams always says nobody will fight him, but now Pavlik is willing to give his side more than $1.5 million. That apparently isn't enough, even though Williams doesn't bring all that much to the table economically. If Williams wants a significant fight and wants to fight for the title, he's going to have to be financially realistic. If the fight doesn't happen, it's the fault of Williams & Co., not Pavlik.
Next: TBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/co...&id=3911650
D-MARV
This isn't a good look.

PWill should take this fight in a heartbeat. After he destroys Pavlik he will be on top of the 154 and 160.
Fitz
Ok, they say Williams is making $1.5 million. I still want to hear on what Pavlik is getting for this fight, until I make a judgement call.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 29 2009, 09:03 PM) *
Ok, they say Williams is making $1.5 million. I still want to hear on what Pavlik is getting for this fight, until I make a judgement call.

HBO has offered 3.75 million for the fight. Williams will make 1.5 while Pavlik and Top Rank takes the rest. The split isn't the problem though. Top Rank also wants 100% of the Gate and sponsorships.
caneman
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jul 29 2009, 09:03 PM) *

ام⌠⌠Σ┘εΓΘ
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 29 2009, 09:09 PM) *
HBO has offered 3.75 million for the fight. Williams will make 1.5 while Pavlik and Top Rank takes the rest. The split isn't the problem though. Top Rank also wants 100% of the Gate and sponsorships.

Well now Williams has been offered 1.75 and Pavlik 2 plus a percentage of the gate, yet they are balking because of a rematch clause. Typically when a champion makes a voluntary defense a rematch clause is a non-issue.

Apparently Williams camp wants 2.5 if there is a rematch clause.

I think Goosen and Williams are going to need to accept that they are not the draw here, especially with the fight in AC. The offer above is more than fair, including the rematch clause.
D-MARV
If Williams doesn't take this fight then I never want to here him call himself "the most avoided fighter". Williams loses points if this fight doesn't happen. He is being offered more than enough.
Keith
Anyone else think the following:

PWill really doesnt want the fight? Or.....

He figures he may as well get paid as much as possible if he's going to get his ass whipped.
D-MARV
I honestly think it's more Heyman and Arum the anything else. PWill ain't scared of Pavlik.
Keith
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 31 2009, 10:25 AM) *
I honestly think it's more Heyman and Arum the anything else. PWill ain't scared of Pavlik.

I dont think he's scared of him, I'm just not sure he wants the fight. The flip-flopping seems strange.
JD
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 31 2009, 10:03 AM) *
If Williams doesn't take this fight then I never want to here him call himself "the most avoided fighter". Williams loses points if this fight doesn't happen. He is being offered more than enough.

I agree. In the end, it happens to every single fighter who complains that no one wants to fight them. Look, if his team can posture and they get an extra few thousand as a result...ok, but he really isn't negotiating from a position of power because Pavlik is the bigger draw and the champion, so this posturing may cost him the fight. Take the 47% of the guaranteed purse, accept the rematch clause since if you win, you will likely give a rematch anyway, and get the dudes in camp so they can both be at their best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.