Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Mayweather-Marquez match up?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
True-Boxing-Fan
It has been reported by Kevin Iole of yahoo sports that the UFC 100 did 1.5+million buys. Damn I cant believe it did that many. For as much as I hate the UFC, what a success. They promoted the shit out of that UFC 100. For MMA fans they had great fights all around that night.

Now with that being said, can the upcoming great, great fight Mayweather-Marquez match up. Those are some huge numbers the UFC put up. I'm truly looking forward to this fight and I think it can be fight of the year status. I just hope the undercard has some great fights and they dont give us shit fights. I know Mayweather has the final say on the undercard fights because he's in charge and everything, so I hope he is willing to cough up some extra money to be able to put together a great undercard. Personally I dont think Mayweather-Marquez will get 1.5 million buys, but I think it can break a million if they can put together a great card.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 25 2009, 09:26 PM) *
It has been reported by Kevin Iole of yahoo sports that the UFC 100 did 1.5+million buys. Damn I cant believe it did that many. For as much as I hate the UFC, what a success. They promoted the shit out of that UFC 100. For MMA fans they had great fights all around that night.

Now with that being said, can the upcoming great, great fight Mayweather-Marquez match up. Those are some huge numbers the UFC put up. I'm truly looking forward to this fight and I think it can be fight of the year status. I just hope the undercard has some great fights and they dont give us shit fights. I know Mayweather has the final say on the undercard fights because he's in charge and everything, so I hope he is willing to cough up some extra money to be able to put together a great undercard. Personally I dont think Mayweather-Marquez will get 1.5 million buys, but I think it can break a million if they can put together a great card.

im not surprised ufc 100 did so many.. ufc is freakin huge now... they are doing what boxing promoters should have been doing and that is making the major fights... its proof that if the fights are made people will buy them... well the under cards are usually pretty good too.. and another thing they are doing is putting some good solid fight cards on spike or shall i say regular cable...
BigG
I personally dont care and Im sick of all this PPV buys talk. UFC will probably do more but who cares I just wanna see a good fight. I'll be watching both.
D-MARV
I predict somewhere around 600K. Pacquiao-Mayweather would break 1.5 IMO.
JD
The poll I posed around a week ago was whether UFC 100 or Mayweather - Pacquiao would sell better.

1.5 million buys was close to expected for this show, and I do not see PBF - Pac exceeding that, and if it does, it won't be by a wide margin. Mayweather - Marquez won't do 50% of this. 600,000...maybe.
STEVENSKI
The real question is what fight will do more buys.

Pac vs Cotto

or

PBF vs JMM

That is the only relevant question.
AussieLad
The question i think is will Marquez vs Mayweather exceed the UFC event scheduled for the same day?

Money may, shooting his wallet in the foot putting it up against a major rival on the same day

idiocy?

As dana said, events should be scheduled to compliment one another, not compete.
STEVENSKI
If he does less buys than the UFC event & it is in any way less than Pac vs Cotto then he will have serious problems trying to get a 50/50 split let alone 60/40. I hope it tanks & he gets shown his true value to the boxing community.
Keith
Perhaps I am wrong, but arent the UFC ppv cards significantly cheaper then the boxing? 30$ compared to 50$ I think. That to me could be a huge reason why UFC performs so well. I love boxing and I make pretty good money, but I have to pick and choose when I can lay down 50 bones for a ppv event with 1 good fight on it. Actually, I have to pay 60$ so I can watch it in HD. Crazy.
JD
Nope.

On Cablevision it is $45 for UFC, $50 for boxing...that is in HD.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 26 2009, 03:27 AM) *

Pac vs Cotto

or

PBF vs JMM

That's stupid. Obviously Cotto-Pacquiao will sell more.

It would be relevent if Mayweather-Cotto had a prior fight. Mayweather and Pacquiao is about as 50-50 as you can get.

DavidThaKing
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 10:25 AM) *

It would be relevent if Mayweather-Cotto had a prior fight. Mayweather and Pacquiao is about as 50-50 as you can get.

but what people seem to forget is this Mayweather's last two fights did better PPV numbers than Manny's last five fights now you can make the arguement that he had De La Hoya and Hatton but Ricky Hatton first time on PPV was against Mayweather really Floyd made Hatton a star over in US and Pacquiao fought the same two guys and didnt do as much so really there is no argument 60-40 for Floyd

and as far as Maywather-Marquez going on the day as UFC 103 which i hear is going to be a rematch between Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson i dont think it is a smart move by Floyd because its going to hurt his numbers more than help them but being that UFC 103 is going to be a rematch Floyd has a good chance to have better PPV numbers not to mention that Mayweather/Marquez 24/7 hasnt started yet when thats going to have everybody ready to see Floyds return to the ring plus the injury and the layoff just add more drama this maybe the fight the Mayweather haters have been waiting for i dont think they are going to want to miss it and Mayweathers fans dont want to miss it so i still see good numbers for Floyd he will probably do Pacquiao-Hatton numbers
D-MARV
I expect that UFC will have minimal effect on the Mayweather-Marquez fight. "Mayweather's Return" is bigger than Dan Henderson IMO.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 09:25 AM) *

i dont know dmarv, i didnt realize how big a following marquez had till i witnessed first hand at the diaz fight... he is very loved in mexico and over here by the mexican americans... i see that fight doing very well and actually marquez will be the main reason for the ppv buys and the gate i believe... you will be hearing may-he-co all night long... i'm not saying the fight breaks all time records but i believe it will bring in very healthy numbers... on a side note does anyone know what the undercard is looking like?... i think the undercard depending on how strong will be a deciding factor for some rather or not to order the fight as well...
D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jul 26 2009, 03:30 PM) *
i dont know dmarv, i didnt realize how big a following marquez had till i witnessed first hand at the diaz fight... he is very loved in mexico and over here by the mexican americans... i see that fight doing very well and actually marquez will be the main reason for the ppv buys and the gate i believe... you will be hearing may-he-co all night long... i'm not saying the fight breaks all time records but i believe it will bring in very healthy numbers... on a side note does anyone know what the undercard is looking like?... i think the undercard depending on how strong will be a deciding factor for some rather or not to order the fight as well...

Im not doubting Marquez. It's just not gonna sell as much as Pac-Cotto.

I heard the undercard is pretty stacked!

John-Juarez II
Judah- M. Hatton

These fights are confirmed.

There are talks of Bika-Green being place on the undercard which would be a action filled war for as log as it lasts. Also Winky's name is still being tossed around.
provo
I think marquez and mayweather do between 800 to 1 mill buys! Its pretty boys return and also mexican independence day! Its going 2 be packed in vegas.
Im not to sure if cotto and pac would do more buys cotto is not a attraction only in new york this fight would be in vegas. And pac has proven he don't sell more than floyd !
As far as the ufc numbers 1.5 isn't bad for having a stacked card ..now imagine boxing having a stacked card , they would shit on UFC..lol
I like ufc fights but boxing is my true love!
Nothing like the sweet science !
True-Boxing-Fan
[quote name='damarvelous1' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:48 PM' post='445791'

I heard the undercard is pretty stacked!

John-Juarez II
Judah- M. Hatton

These fights are confirmed.

[/quote]

I hope they do a little better than that. Having Judah-M.Hatton isnt considered stacking the undercard IMO. Judah sucks and that fight has no significants. Richard Schaefer said recently he's trying to put together Katsidis-Escobedo, but said that fight is a little pricey and needed Mayweathers approval to have it on the undercard.
D-MARV
When I said stacked I was including the "Possible" fights.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 04:00 PM) *
When I said stacked I was including the "Possible" fights.

I know, i'd love for them to put on the Bika-Green fight. I'll take Bika for sure. Putting Winky and having Judah on the undercard is a big mistake. I only want good meaningful fights. Hopefully Mayweather puts up the money for a great undercard.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 03:25 PM) *

It is far from stupid. PBF is fighting the #1 Mexican fighter on PPV. If Floyd is the draw he thinks he is then he should blow Pac vs Cotto out of the water seeing as it is a classic USA vs Mexico contest.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 26 2009, 02:27 AM) *

Pac vs Cotto

or

PBF vs JMM

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 26 2009, 09:25 AM) *

I don't think it's stupid at all. I think the answer will go a long way toward determining whether we ever see PBF-Pac square off. If Pac-Cotto blows PBF-JMM out I expect Floyd to go another direction (Shane). PBF will never take parity with another fighter again and Arum will use those numbers to accept nothing less for a fight with the Pacman.
provo
Mayweather vs Marquez will sell more than cotto vs pac! Its mexican independence week,vegas will be packed! Cotto is not a attraction outside of boxing fans! Only new york puerto ricans kno him LOL... pac don't sell more than Mayweather ,its been proven! That's why pac don't make as much as Floyd!
Everyone wants to watch floyd either u love him or hate him and watch him2 loose! Marquez will have supporters he's the number 1 mexican fighter !
MAYWEATHER VS MARQUEZ WILL DO HIGHER NUMBERS!
King Eugene
I know I'm in the minority but anytime Mayweather, Judah, and Possibly Winky on the same card I'm sold. John will put up a good fight as well. Hopefully Katsidis will be on the card as well. It'll draw more than just Mayweather and Marquez fans for sure. I'm not sold on it doing more than Cotto vs. Pac. I believe its been promoted harder every where. Hell go to ESPN's boxing page and damn near everything about Mayweather vs. Marquez is followed by some type of negative opinion about Mayweather but Cotto vs. Pac is being praised like its the next best thing since open bars at weddings.
JLUVBABY
i'm in the minority but i think pbf.jmm will do pretty good... like i keep saying jmm has a bigger hispanic following here than i thought and he is for sure very hot in mexico right now.. i for one hope it does excellent or shall i say at least beats pac.cotto in ppv buys... its the only way we may have a shot at seeing may.pac... i.m.o... i think may. will bend to a 50/50 split before pacs people will but he has to have a bargaining advantage to do so... that may be what it would take to see that fight... i would be surprised to see the fight go any other way than 50/50 if it can even be made... too high of ego's in this one... thats assuming they both win the next fight coming up... this is boxing and neither fight is guarenteed to for either fighter... more so for pac.. he has a very tough fight in front of him...
AussieLad
The Sept 19 ufc undercard looks pretty good at the moment with Tyson Griffin vs Hermes Franca, Mike Swick vs. Martin Kampmann, and Josh Koscheck vs. Frank Trigg. Those are all-action fights and anyone of them poos on the M.Hatton vs Judah farce

John-Juarez II is a good fight though
iron_mike
I'm looking forward to John Juarez II...I don't know about you guys, but I had John up at least 3 rounds, I thought the draw was fkng robbery, but I don't want to pay 54.95 to watch Mayweather, unless it's vs Pac or Mosley
King Eugene
Pac vs. Mayweather negotiations might end up like Hopkins vs. Jones II Negotiations

60/40 I'll whip that ass!
leonthegee
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 25 2009, 06:26 PM) *

the ufc had 2 of their biggest stars fight at ufc 100. mayweather hasnt even really started selling this fight yet. once the hbo 24/7 series premiers people will get into this match up. one thing for sure is money may knows how to hype up his fights.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Jul 28 2009, 06:08 PM) *
I'm looking forward to John Juarez II...I don't know about you guys, but I had John up at least 3 rounds, I thought the draw was fkng robbery, but I don't want to pay 54.95 to watch Mayweather, unless it's vs Pac or Mosley

john won that first fight.. juarez got booed that night... the fans knew who won that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.