Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Pacquiao become the GOAT?
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
kidbazooka1
Manny has accomplished so much that if he beats Cotto in dominating fashion i think he might just deserve that title.

I forgot who it was but one writer was recently quoted as saying that if Manny was an Americna he might have already been considered the greatest of all time.

What do you guys think about that do you think it's fair to say that a non american fighter would have to do a little more than an American fighter to accomplish such feat?

I remember an old issue of the Ring magazine circa 93' right before the Whitaker fight where they asked the question that is Julio Cesar Chavez was greater than Robinson I don't recall what was said though anyone remember that or better yet have that issue?
rusty_trombone
He can, he just has to beat a shitload more people.
D-MARV
Fuck NO!

He will never amount to a Roberto Duran.
Method
No. He can't.
King Eugene
Its possible if he beats Cotto, Mosley, Mayweather, Williams, Pavlik, Calzaghe, Klitscho, and Stevenski...other than that nea.gif

LOL nah I dont see him doing better than Duran or SRR. He has no Frazier. I think part of the reason that made Ali great was Frazier.
Keith
Imho, to be the GOAT you have to have a win over another great fighter in their prime. I dont think Pac has that right now. The Marquez win is close, but not quite there for me. Provided PBF is the same fighter coming back from the layoff, a win over him in the next year would be ONE STEP in the GOAT direction. But thats a big "what if"... he has to beat Cotto first and I dont think he does that, and then of course PBF which I think would be even more difficult. Even then other fighters have just as good if not a better claim to that title.
provo
Hell no ! He's a good fighter but not in that category his boxing skills are not there he puts his head down and throws with his eyes closeD ! And in order to be a great you got to at least beat a couple black guys LOL
Has manny ever fought a black fighter ???? No
He avoides them,there more elusive athletes who move around ! Morales and Marquez was the closet to that and he has trouple !
Manny will never be the GOAT!
Sweet pea whitaker would have kicked his ass!
EpTXCHAMP
no chance! even if he notches a few more wins I'm sure majority of the boxing world will point out that every fighter was at a disadvantage meeting him at a "catch weight"

If pac beats mayweather and shane top 5 all time maybe, top 10 for sure
AussieLad
I dont know. I think if he can pull off a cotto, mayweather and mosely trilogy he has a shot. I think you can pick apart and criticize almost any fighters career, but if he achieved that it would be 5 really big wins in a row
The CEO
Pacquiao could KO Cotto, KO Mayweather at 147, KO Mosley at 147, KO Williams at 154, and he still wouldn't be The G.O.A.T....he'd be lucky if he cracked The Top 5...
pcraw
Yeah it takes a lot for me to throw around the GOAT title. I can't stand when I hear people say Lebron James may be the GOAT in a couple of years. I think people throw that around to easily. What the Ray Robinson's, Jack Johnson's and hell even prime RJJ accomplished is hard to follow.
AussieLad
What i want to know is, what would people consider a GOAT resume? Aside from Pac

I think, especially in boxing, nostalgia pushes aside modern fighters. Modern fighters will never fight as often as the old timers did, they will never amass huge resumes of wins.

What i think alot of people should just come out and say is that the top 10 are set in stone and will never change. "We gots em hows we likes em, and we aint gonna change it fer no-one"
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 28 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Pacquiao could KO Cotto, KO Mayweather at 147, KO Mosley at 147, KO Williams at 154, and he still wouldn't be The G.O.A.T....he'd be lucky if he cracked The Top 5...

Are you kidding me? If he did that, that would be truly amazing and a once in a lifetime accomplishment. He would be one of the greatest of all time hands down if he KOed all those guys. In reality Pacman has a legit and great shot at being the best in his era.
King Eugene
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Jul 29 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Are you kidding me? If he did that, that would be truly amazing and a once in a lifetime accomplishment. He would be one of the greatest of all time hands down if he KOed all those guys. In reality Pacman has a legit and great shot at being the best in his era.

Era...yea. GOAT..... nea.gif
AussieLad
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 29 2009, 05:43 AM) *
Era...yea. GOAT..... nea.gif

All he has to do is KO those guys, but have it filmed in black ad white, with really grainy footage and no sound. If he looks like he's fighting somewhere in the 1920's he becomes instantly better. Some 100 year old boxing fan will come out and say "i remember watchin him fight, none of these whippersnappers of today could even last 3 rounds with him, they dont make em like that anymore"
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 28 2009, 11:56 PM) *
All he has to do is KO those guys, but have it filmed in black ad white, with really grainy footage and no sound. If he looks like he's fighting somewhere in the 1920's he becomes instantly better. Some 100 year old boxing fan will come out and say "i remember watchin him fight, none of these whippersnappers of today could even last 3 rounds with him, they dont make em like that anymore"

I think Manny has taken alot of people by suprise I mean the most dominate fighters of the last 30 years or so have been latinos and African Americans although things are changing I don't think many people expected a 5'6' filipino to be the #1 fighter in the world or the best of this decade.

Even though the Phillipines has probably produced the best asian fighters in boxing history people just weren't prepared for what Manny was gonna bring they would have expected it from a Latino or american but not a little pinoy.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Jul 29 2009, 02:04 AM) *
Its possible if he beats Cotto, Mosley, Mayweather, Williams, Pavlik, Calzaghe, Klitscho, and Stevenski...other than that nea.gif

LOL nah I dont see him doing better than Duran or SRR. He has no Frazier. I think part of the reason that made Ali great was Frazier.

You are right about Ali needing Frazier to be great. Would Leonard, Hearns & Duran be as great without each other?

As for Manny it will be very hard for him to be considered greater than a SRR or Armstrong but if he keeps doing what he has been doing he is ready to join that elite club.

People say his wins are suspect & he beat shot fighters. Well even if he did (which I don't buy) he did what he was supposed to do which was beat them brutally & inside the distance.

Manny can only fight who is in front of him & Cotto is a fantastic opponent who is in his prime. If Manny wins that he moves up another level.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jul 29 2009, 12:56 AM) *

EXACTLY!!!!
This is it. I understand on a level that the current is never as great as the past.
But Manny can definately be the best of his era. Which is the pinnacle of any boxer/athlete's accomplishment.

Irreguardless, Manny is one of the best fighters I've ever seen.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 28 2009, 09:54 PM) *

Yup..No way I'd ever consider Pac-man greater than Sugar Ray Robinson..If you compare their styles and flaws,you'll find 10 flaws per 1 Robinson flaw in Pac-man..How many flaws can you even come up with Robinson??

Ray had great stamina in 15 rounds,he had amazing balance which allowed him to KO you while on the move in any direction,he was fluid with his movement and punches,he could take a punch,and had perfect technique.

I can't say almost any of those things about Pac-man..His technique and balance has improved but they are still not great..He will never have perfect balance like Benny Leonard displayed(in my opinion,he had the best balance of any fighter ever)..That's just a quick start on Pac-man..Aside from that,they both fought the best they had available to them and they both would win the big fights..
DavidThaKing
No, i can't beleave this was even a question

Pacquaio lucky if he make top 25 he barley in my top 50 but thats just me
D-MARV
As long as Manny keeps asking fo catchweight he will never be as great as Duran or Armstrong. Top 50, Yeah.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Jul 28 2009, 07:45 PM) *
He can, he just has to beat a shitload more people.

my thinking exactly...
Sugar Q
Wow cats are really into the hype. Can you even imagine Pacquiao getting pass Salvadore Sanchez, Duran, Hector Camacho, or Aaron "the Hawk" Pryor and so many others in between? Pacquiao wouldn't fight pass 130 against the all time greats. Giving mad props to a guy for beating David Diaz, depleted Oscar and Dicky Hatton.
OneManWellMarkEss
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 28 2009, 07:45 PM) *
Hell no ! He's a good fighter but not in that category his boxing skills are not there he puts his head down and throws with his eyes closeD ! And in order to be a great you got to at least beat a couple black guys LOL
Has manny ever fought a black fighter ???? No
He avoides them,there more elusive athletes who move around ! Morales and Marquez was the closet to that and he has trouple !
Manny will never be the GOAT!
Sweet pea whitaker would have kicked his ass!

LEDWABA was a black boxer! do your homework first MORON
torvix2000
I thought Julio was black? He was beaten into a pulp. I think excellent black fighters need to enter the lower weight divisions first.
torvix2000
Austin was knocked out by Rafa.
gbh32001
NO! GABOAT maybe.
ddilag
This topics sounds bias racist.. Even Manny is born in 20's he can never be one of the greatest becoz he is asian.. But if Manny is American, surely he will be hailed The Greatest.. But Manny is not one of those loud mouth black ass boxers who proclaimed themselves greatest, he just want to entertain fans and prove to them that Asians too can become a power to reckoned with.. And before i end my comment, "HOW MANY NON-AMREICAN BOXER THEY CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST?" Answer .. NONE, because they are not american..
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ddilag @ Jul 30 2009, 09:26 AM) *
This topics sounds bias racist.. Even Manny is born in 20's he can never be one of the greatest becoz he is asian.. But if Manny is American, surely he will be hailed The Greatest.. But Manny is not one of those loud mouth black ass boxers who proclaimed themselves greatest, he just want to entertain fans and prove to them that Asians too can become a power to reckoned with.. And before i end my comment, "HOW MANY NON-AMREICAN BOXER THEY CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST?" Answer .. NONE, because they are not american..

No you sound borderline racist.

"Black ass boxers"

That seems rather racist to me.

You are so full of shit about the greatest fighters being only American.

There are several top tier ATG fighters that are not American

Roberto Duran - Panamanian
Jimmy Wilde - Welsh

That is two top 10 guys right there

Yes there are a lot of American fighters right up there but that is due to the exposure they had & level of competition they have faced. In my opinion if Manny keeps doing what he has been he will be up there with the best ever but not right now he is not.
caneman
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jul 29 2009, 08:16 PM) *
Austin was knocked out by Rafa.

And Tim's Dad gave him really bad advise saying get lower & get low when he needed to fight tall...I was in shock myself! While Raffy can fight, so could Tim!
ddilag
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 30 2009, 05:51 PM) *
No you sound borderline racist.

"Black ass boxers"

That seems rather racist to me.

You are so full of shit about the greatest fighters being only American.

There are several top tier ATG fighters that are not American

Roberto Duran - Panamanian
Jimmy Wilde - Welsh

That is two top 10 guys right there

Yes there are a lot of American fighters right up there but that is due to the exposure they had & level of competition they have faced. In my opinion if Manny keeps doing what he has been he will be up there with the best ever but not right now he is not.

those two are just your own top 10.. In my opinion what ever Manny will do to dominate this sport he will only be named as the only Asian who "almost" got the the spot of the all time great..
thehype
NO!

Hype has spoken!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ddilag @ Jul 31 2009, 04:32 AM) *
those two are just your own top 10.. In my opinion what ever Manny will do to dominate this sport he will only be named as the only Asian who "almost" got the the spot of the all time great..

Look it is nearly impossible to eclipse Ray Robinson but he can easily become top 10 if he keeps winning & stepping up in weight.

As for Wilde & Duran it may just be my opinion but this opinion is shared by others as well.
D-MARV
I agree that Wilde and Duran are certainly top 10.
JD
The greatest Filipino fighter of all time? Absolutely!
thehype
QUOTE (OneManWellMarkEss @ Jul 29 2009, 07:33 PM) *
LEDWABA was a black boxer! do your homework first MORON

Now THAT'S how you make a debut.

laugh.gif

I think if Manny beats Cotto, Mosley and Mayweather, he should definitely be considered one of the greatest of all time...but THE greatest of all time...nah...that'll always be Sugar Ray Robinson for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.