Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torres calls out Mayweather
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
Miguel Torres arguably the best pound for pound fighter in MMA has issued a challenge to Mayweather. He isn't the first to get pissed at May's anti-MMA rants but if anyone knows Torres, you know he's a humble guy so this makes things a little interesting. May would never go to MMA because he'd get slaughterd but I think in a boxing only fight no one in MMA can beat him. They have poor boxing skills in MMA and need to evolve that part of their game. Thoughts.

Torres calls out Mayweather

By MMAWeekly.com

WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres is looking for a fight, and it’s nothing against his current opponent, Brian Bowles, but he believes a boxing champion needs to step up and compete in the true fighting art before he smack talks a sport that is sweeping the world.

Recently, former pound-for-pound boxing king Floyd Mayweather Jr., in an interview with CBS Sports, hounded the sport of MMA saying it was for “beer drinkers” and the reason the sport was created was because “there’s no white fighters in boxing that’s dominating.” Torres, who proudly hails from a Hispanic background, is ready to prove Mayweather wrong and he’s ready any time, any place.

“I’m not going to lie, I don’t talk a lot of (expletive). I did an interview for ESPN and they told me what (Mayweather) had done. I hadn’t heard his comment before that, but I heard that he was talking garbage about mixed martial arts, and he was being pretty racist on certain subjects, and that made me kind of angry because I love boxing. I grew up watching boxing,” Torres said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com.

“I haven’t watched a ton of Mayweather’s fights. I know he’s a good boxer. I’ve seen him on 24/7 a couple of times. That’s the most I’ve seen of him, but he’s very flamboyant, he’s very cocky, he’s a bit of a prick, and I think he’s broke now because of whatever financial reason he has, but you can’t talk about a complete fighter when you’re not a complete fighter yourself.”

Torres has respect for what Mayweather has accomplished in his own sport, but believes that he would be a pawn in the game of chess that is mixed martial arts.

“I know he has a great camp and he’s lightning quick and has knockout power, but I think in a real fight, in a mixed martial arts fight he wouldn’t stand a chance against a mid-level MMA fighter, a B-level fighter, or even a wrestler at that because he’d get taken down in a heartbeat,” Torres commented.

Still, Mayweather may continue to talk so Torres is ready to throw out the challenge to the boxer turned pro-wrestler turned boxer, who at one time actually did consider a move to MMA after retiring from his own sport.

“I’d be the first one at my weight class to say I’d fight Mayweather, anywhere, any way he wants. If he hears this, whatever he wants to do,” stated Torres. “We can even do modified kind of rules, we can box for three rounds, do kickboxing for three rounds, and then fight MMA for three rounds. I would even do something like that so he could have a little more confidence.

“I think it’s totally wrong for any boxer to call out a mixed martial artist. Because you have so many different variables that are going to go on in a fight.”

The tendency for boxers to lash out at mixed martial arts seems to be a proven formula for athletes in the “sweet science” to get headlines from the sport that has been dominating the pay-per-view market over the last few years. Torres admits that boxing is a dying breed and taking pot shots at MMA may just be that they are trying to hit one last Hail Mary punch on the way down.

“It’s fear and it’s a lack of knowledge. They’re so stuck in their small world they have no idea what they’re talking about,” said Torres. “Even boxing fans that are huge fans of boxing, they’re talking to me about ‘well, if you were a real fighter you’d box,’ I’m like, are you serious? I tried with guys who just boxed, and if I give them a hard time just boxing, imagine if I could kick, elbow, and take them to the ground, it would be a totally different fight.”

With Torres scheduled for his next title bout on Aug. 9, and Mayweather slated to return to boxing in September, nobody should hold their breath that these two will ever see each other in a mixed martial arts fight, but the WEC champion still dreams of a day when he could finally silence “Money Mayweather.”

“The times that I’ve watched him box is to want to watch him lose, because I just didn’t like his attitude and the way he acted very much,” Torres said. “He’s never going to change. I think the only way he will change is if he steps in the cage and gets his mouth shut.”
leonthegee
who the hell is this clown torres think he is? who is he to call out mayweather? this bum is still fighting on versus. mayweather makes more money doing an appearance gig at chucky cheese than this scrub has made in his whole career. mayweather will make more doing the hbo 24/7 series than this fool will make in his whole life. whats his problem, arent there enough bums in the wec to call out?
leonthegee
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Jul 30 2009, 06:29 AM) *
Miguel Torres arguably the best pound for pound fighter in MMA has issued a challenge to Mayweather. He isn't the first to get pissed at May's anti-MMA rants but if anyone knows Torres, you know he's a humble guy so this makes things a little interesting. May would never go to MMA because he'd get slaughterd but I think in a boxing only fight no one in MMA can beat him. They have poor boxing skills in MMA and need to evolve that part of their game. Thoughts.

Torres calls out Mayweather

By MMAWeekly.com

WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres is looking for a fight, and it’s nothing against his current opponent, Brian Bowles, but he believes a boxing champion needs to step up and compete in the true fighting art before he smack talks a sport that is sweeping the world.

Recently, former pound-for-pound boxing king Floyd Mayweather Jr., in an interview with CBS Sports, hounded the sport of MMA saying it was for “beer drinkers” and the reason the sport was created was because “there’s no white fighters in boxing that’s dominating.” Torres, who proudly hails from a Hispanic background, is ready to prove Mayweather wrong and he’s ready any time, any place.

“I’m not going to lie, I don’t talk a lot of (expletive). I did an interview for ESPN and they told me what (Mayweather) had done. I hadn’t heard his comment before that, but I heard that he was talking garbage about mixed martial arts, and he was being pretty racist on certain subjects, and that made me kind of angry because I love boxing. I grew up watching boxing,” Torres said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com.

“I haven’t watched a ton of Mayweather’s fights. I know he’s a good boxer. I’ve seen him on 24/7 a couple of times. That’s the most I’ve seen of him, but he’s very flamboyant, he’s very cocky, he’s a bit of a prick, and I think he’s broke now because of whatever financial reason he has, but you can’t talk about a complete fighter when you’re not a complete fighter yourself.”

Torres has respect for what Mayweather has accomplished in his own sport, but believes that he would be a pawn in the game of chess that is mixed martial arts.

“I know he has a great camp and he’s lightning quick and has knockout power, but I think in a real fight, in a mixed martial arts fight he wouldn’t stand a chance against a mid-level MMA fighter, a B-level fighter, or even a wrestler at that because he’d get taken down in a heartbeat,” Torres commented.

Still, Mayweather may continue to talk so Torres is ready to throw out the challenge to the boxer turned pro-wrestler turned boxer, who at one time actually did consider a move to MMA after retiring from his own sport.

“I’d be the first one at my weight class to say I’d fight Mayweather, anywhere, any way he wants. If he hears this, whatever he wants to do,” stated Torres. “We can even do modified kind of rules, we can box for three rounds, do kickboxing for three rounds, and then fight MMA for three rounds. I would even do something like that so he could have a little more confidence.

“I think it’s totally wrong for any boxer to call out a mixed martial artist. Because you have so many different variables that are going to go on in a fight.”

The tendency for boxers to lash out at mixed martial arts seems to be a proven formula for athletes in the “sweet science” to get headlines from the sport that has been dominating the pay-per-view market over the last few years. Torres admits that boxing is a dying breed and taking pot shots at MMA may just be that they are trying to hit one last Hail Mary punch on the way down.

“It’s fear and it’s a lack of knowledge. They’re so stuck in their small world they have no idea what they’re talking about,” said Torres. “Even boxing fans that are huge fans of boxing, they’re talking to me about ‘well, if you were a real fighter you’d box,’ I’m like, are you serious? I tried with guys who just boxed, and if I give them a hard time just boxing, imagine if I could kick, elbow, and take them to the ground, it would be a totally different fight.”

With Torres scheduled for his next title bout on Aug. 9, and Mayweather slated to return to boxing in September, nobody should hold their breath that these two will ever see each other in a mixed martial arts fight, but the WEC champion still dreams of a day when he could finally silence “Money Mayweather.”

“The times that I’ve watched him box is to want to watch him lose, because I just didn’t like his attitude and the way he acted very much,” Torres said. “He’s never going to change. I think the only way he will change is if he steps in the cage and gets his mouth shut.”

arguably nothing i put anderson silva, gsp, fedor, and mochita all ahead of this fool. with all do respect the best fighters arent in the wec. hell other than brock larson has anybody from wec even won a match in the ufc? i know u can argue that carlos condit got robbed. but who else really? and brock larson really shouldnt even count because he had prior ufc experience.
iron_mike
Don't know Torres, never heard of him, don't know what weight class he fight, when I saw the topic I thought it was RICARDO Torres calling out Floyd!! I'm like what?? Speaking of, is a rubber match with Holy ever gonna happen? Does anybody care since Holt lost to Bradley? I'd love to watch it
torvix2000
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jul 30 2009, 04:30 PM) *
who the hell is this clown torres think he is? who is he to call out mayweather? this bum is still fighting on versus. mayweather makes more money doing an appearance gig at chucky cheese than this scrub has made in his whole career. mayweather will make more doing the hbo 24/7 series than this fool will make in his whole life. whats his problem, arent there enough bums in the wec to call out?

It was because Mayweather was "belittling" those MMAers out there. So, one of them was simply asking if Mayweather's got some balls to prove they, the MMAers, are really some kind of "joke" when it comes to fighting.
kidbazooka1
Torres has been just as dominate or even more so than some of the top fighters in MMA he's p4p one of the best. I don't blame him for calling out Floyd who has been disrespecting those guys like crazy for a while now.

Im a boxing fan first and believe it's the #1 sport in the world but you gotta respect what those MMa guys do aswell.
leonthegee
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jul 30 2009, 07:41 AM) *
It was because Mayweather was "belittling" those MMAers out there. So, one of them was simply asking if Mayweather's got some balls to prove they, the MMAers, are really some kind of "joke" when it comes to fighting.

i know why he said it but why him? why not one of the faces of mma? besides its just espn doing their usual bullshit. but what gets me is that espn doesnt even cover mma. so why try and build hype for something that has 99.9% of never happening? baffles me.
leonthegee
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Jul 30 2009, 07:41 AM) *

this is the wec. if they could really punch, kick, and wrestle they'd be in the ufc. torres is a joke. with that lame ass cowboy hat. hes from chicago for christ sake.
rusty_trombone
uh, I guess it's time for me to formally challenge Mayweather also, now that DLH is retired.
DavidThaKing
this guy dont want it with Floyd he just talking shit if they went 3 rounds boxing he woundn't make it to the kick boxing or mma part of the fight

no disrespect because i do like the UFC but most of there biggest stars came off of a tv show and then you got Kimbo coming off the streets knocking out so called professionals you got Brock Lesnar coming from the WWE becoming the heveyweight champion beating former heavyweight champions i mean come on now if these guys were in a boxing ring they would get destroyed

and on top of all that they dont even make as much money the only person getting paid off of that shit is Dana White and really he robbing all them fighters
Box in Hand
For those who don't know Torres, he is a beast. He's lost once in over 30 fights and has won 17 in a row which is huge in MMA. My thinking is, Floyd needs to respect MMA a little bit more but he probably won't. As far as a match up between him and Torres goes. As bad as Torres is, he would get decapitated!
Big Slim Sweet
Blah blah blah.

Anyone else getting sick of boxers and MMA guys talking shit about each other?

I wonder what Randy Orton or Batista have to say about all this.
leonthegee
all he has to do is move up and face brown or faber. he needs to do that before those guys move up to lightweight. hes gonna risk missing out on that money. foolish
AussieLad
Torres is very very dangerous

If he was serious all he needs to do is offer a match of 3 rounds boxing, 3 rounds MMA. If he makes it to round 4, it is game over for mayweather. You might as well make it 3 rounds boxing, 1 round MMA because that is literally all it will take for torres to ice mayweather
provo
3 rounds of boxing ??? Mayweather would kill him in them rounds ...
And that is what the UFC is ! It started as a tough man competition. Any ruthless ghetto ass could enter! The reason why mayweather bashes mma is cause ANYONE can do it ! Anyone can go to a mma gym and train for 6 months and get a fight ANYONE... Boxing takes SkILLs!..
AussieLad
QUOTE (provo @ Jul 31 2009, 12:47 AM) *
3 rounds of boxing ??? Mayweather would kill him in them rounds ...
And that is what the UFC is ! It started as a tough man competition. Any ruthless ghetto ass could enter! The reason why mayweather bashes mma is cause ANYONE can do it ! Anyone can go to a mma gym and train for 6 months and get a fight ANYONE... Boxing takes SkILLs!..

Mayweather is not aggressive, and mayweather is not a finisher. When was the last time floyd starched anyone in 3 rounds, even when he had them overwhelmingly outmatched in every area? Mayweather would build up an early lead, 3 rounds to zip, then get taken down and destroyed in under a minute of the 4th round.

As for your lack of respect towards the skills required in MMA? Well ignorance and denial go hand in hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.