Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BRAZILIAN POLICE RULE GATTI A SUICIDE!
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Method
Brazil Police Rule Gatti's Death Suicide 2009-07-30 17:27:30.846 GMT

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — A Brazilian police investigation has determined that the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife, who was once suspected of killing him.
Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press on Thursday that police concluded Gatti killed himself on July
11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.
A day after Gatti was found dead, police said they thought his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap while he slept.
But police began to back off after a coroner's report said that Gatti may have killed himself.
State court judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife ordered that Rodrigues be immediately released. Her lawyer, Celio Avelino, said Rodrigues would walk out of jail Thursday afternoon.
Gatti was found dead in the apartment he was renting with Rodrigues in the seaside resort of Porto de Galinhas in Brazil's northeast.
The pair, who had a tumultuous marriage, had arrived there a few days before Gatti's death for a second honeymoon. The couple brought their 10-month-old son, who was unhurt and is in the care of Rodrigues' family in Brazil.
___
Associated Press Writer Tales Azzoni in Sao Paulo contributed to this report.

Brazil Police Rule Gatti's Death Suicide 2009-07-30 17:12:40.491 GMT

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazilian police say the death of boxer Arturo Gatti was a suicide and a court has ordered the release of his wife.
She was once suspected of killing him.
Lead investigator Paulo Alberes tells The Associated Press that authorities found that Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.
Earlier, police said that Gatti's 23-year-old wife, Amanda Rodrigues, had strangled him with her purse strap as he drunkenly slept.
State court Judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife has ordered her immediate release.

-0- Jul/30/2009 17:12 GMT
Box in Hand
Wow, first off, I don't believe that shit for a minute. Gatti wouldn't do that to his kid at least thats my impression of him. But, I guess most of us on here owe his wife an apology after the verbal thrashing we gave her.
Box in Hand
By Mark Vester

In a major twist in the murder case of Arturo Gatti, the Associated Press have issued a report indicating that Brazilian police have ruled Gatti's death as a suicide and state court judge Ildete Verissimo de Lima in the city of Recife, Brazil has ordered the immediate release of Gatti's 23-year-old wife, Amanda Rodrigues.

On July 11, Gatti was found dead by wife in their room at the seaside resort of Porto de Galihnas in Brazil. Gatti's wife thought he was sleeping and did not report his death for several hours. Police believe that Gatti was dead for up to eight hours before the wife contacted authorities.

Gatti's wife has been in police custody since the death occurred. She was pegged as the main suspect and police believe that she murdered her husband. Gatti was found with strangle marks on his neck and a wound to the back of his head. Police found a blood stained purse strap at the scene and their report indicates the strap caused the marks around Gatti's neck.

The ruling of suicide does not make any sense based on the facts of the case unless some major details have not been released. Previously police ruled out the notion of suicide because they did not believe the strap would have been able to support Gatti's body if it was hanging off the ground. A table knife was said by police to have been the cause of Gatti's head wound. Gatti, as told by his wife, came home intoxicated and went to sleep. The wife told police that someone must have entered the room and killed her husband but detectives did not buy the story because the only way to enter the room was with an electronic key card and there was no way to enter by way of the room’s sole window without climbing to their floor. An autopsy did indicate the possibility of suicide but also did not rule out the possibility of murder.

Method
If you don't believe that shit for a minute, then what's the apology for?

Regardless of any of this, that bitch is a cunt. After all I read of her and her fucked up ways...fuck that. Wouldn't even let dude have a relationship w his daughter because the ex was hot.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 12:57 PM) *
If you don't believe that shit for a minute, then what's the apology for?

Regardless of any of this, that bitch is a cunt. After all I read of her and her fucked up ways...fuck that. Wouldn't even let dude have a relationship w his daughter because the ex was hot.

Well, the criminal justice system says she's innocent so I'll respect that. HOWEVER, I feel as you do, she's a flaming cunt. I know the truth. She either killed him or let someone in the room to do it.
Method
Yup. I believe she let people in the room or was accompanied back to the room w said thugs. I'm not buying the suicide thing at all. How does any of that explain the knife wound to the back of the head. it's hard enough believing Alexis Arguello shot himself in the chest, but now Im supposed to believe a guy chose to stab himself in the back of the head? C'mon.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 02:12 PM) *
Yup. I believe she let people in the room or was accompanied back to the room w said thugs. I'm not buying the suicide thing at all. How does any of that explain the knife wound to the back of the head. it's hard enough believing Alexis Arguello shot himself in the chest, but now Im supposed to believe a guy chose to stab himself in the back of the head? C'mon.

I'm not believing this.

I'm sure she and O.J. Simpson will compare notes and have a nice laugh together at next year's "I Beat the System Convention". I guess next year's is in Rio.

She killed him.

There better be some mind-blowing details that haven't been released yet... that's all I'm saying.
jlupi
Sure, I believe that the guy hung himself with a purse and stabbed himself in the back of the head. that would not even fly on a crappy tv show.

As for AA. with his past drug problems anything becomes POSSIBLE. I had a family member that shot himself in the BACK of the head. So someone shooting himself in the chest becomes believable.
The CEO
Just to offer some other possibilities....maybe Gatti was very depressed and felt like he had nothing to live for since he wasn't boxing anymore...

You know...he had his gloves tattooed on the back of his neck...which is, incidentally, an area where a mortal stab wound can be inflicted...get it?...Boxing was his Life AND Death.

We don't know the details of the crime scene and the location of the wound...but maybe he had the knife fixed to a wall where he could throw himself onto it...
Byrd Man
lol, there could be a video released SHOWING Gatti killing himself, and some of you would still be on some "This cunt did it".

Pathetic. Time will tell what happened, but it just goes to show how strong people's feelings towards their favorite athletes are. That they won't even entertain for a second the idea that they would do something like this.

And the point is WE DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE.

I always hear "oh they wouldn't do that from what I've seen"

Really? Did anyone forsee Steve McNair, Mr. all around good guy (and a favorite NFL player of mine) cheating on his wife, and possibly cheating on THAT woman with another woman? No. That's the point. We don't know these people. We know what they want us to know, as per their public image.

Yucayeke
Damn didn't see this post, I just posted another thread with the same. WTF????

How could he have possible strangled himself with a hand bag? Can't believe this shit, not for a minute.

Bitch will be freed this afternoon and since they were married, I guess unless Gatti had a will she will keep all of his estate, how fucked up is that?
Method
We don't know the details of the crime scene and the location of the wound...but maybe he had the knife fixed to a wall where he could throw himself onto it...

Right. Right. Now I can envision it. He came home 3 sheets to the wind, and affixed the knife protruding from the wall with some crazy glue.

Next, he got a chair and fastened the purse strap from the ceiling right in front of the point of the protruding knife. Then, he fastened the strap around his neck, and catapulted his body away from the wall with his feet, and once he projected out, like a weight on a pendulum, came swinging back towards the knife point. Being that the knife was jiggerrigged to the wall with crazy glue, it broke off and fell to the floor, Gatti then hung, then the purse strap broke...and ashes, ashes we all fall down.
Method
QUOTE (Yucayeke @ Jul 30 2009, 03:11 PM) *
Damn didn't see this post, I just posted another thread with the same. WTF????

How could he have possible strangled himself with a hand bag? Can't believe this shit, not for a minute.

Bitch will be freed this afternoon and since they were married, I guess unless Gatti had a will she will keep all of his estate, how fucked up is that?

Gatti DID have a will and she will NOT keep everything. It was reported that in the weeks leading up to this tragedy, she had asked Arturo to change around some of the terms of his will to leave her more and Gatti's accountant told him "FUCK, NO". That is a MAJOR RED FLAG, by the way.
The CEO
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 03:14 PM) *
Right. Right. Now I can envision it. He came home 3 sheets to the wind, and affixed the knife protruding from the wall with some crazy glue.

Next, he got a chair and fastened the purse strap from the ceiling right in front of the point of the protruding knife. Then, he fastened the strap around his neck, and catapulted his body away from the wall with his feet, and once he projected out, like a weight on a pendulum, came swinging back towards the knife point. Being that the knife was jiggerrigged to the wall with crazy glue, it broke off and fell to the floor, Gatti then hung, then the purse strap broke...and ashes, ashes we all fall down.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey...something similar happened on CSI....based on a true story....a dude wanted to make it look like murder so his family could claim the insurance payoff....
jlupi
Next, he got a chair and fastened the purse strap from the ceiling right in front of the point of the protruding knife. Then, he fastened the strap around his neck, and catapulted his body away from the wall with his feet, and once he projected out, like a weight on a pendulum, came swinging back towards the knife point. Being that the knife was jiggerrigged to the wall with crazy glue, it broke off and fell to the floor, Gatti then hung, then the purse strap broke...and ashes, ashes we all fall down.>>>>>>>

as i understand it he then bounced off the floor into a seated position on a couch
Yucayeke
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 07:18 PM) *
Gatti DID have a will and she will NOT keep everything. It was reported that in the weeks leading up to this tragedy, she had asked Arturo to change around some of the terms of his will to leave her more and Gatti's accountant told him "FUCK, NO". That is a MAJOR RED FLAG, by the way.

Agree about the red flag and am happy to hear that the bitch will not get his estate. This is just so fucked up
Method
There's claims Gatti was having vision problems and that he couldnt even put a cell phone to his ear because of his vision. WTF is wrong w that statement. I could be a blind man in the dark and still put a fucking phone to my ear. That's the worst example/excuse/whatever I have ever heard. Then again, that's Mike Marley for you...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-Boxing-E...cide-wife-freed
Method
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/07...r_pat_lync.html

Arturo Gatti's manager Pat Lynch outraged at 'suicide' ruling

"That is just so far from the truth it's unbelievable," said Pat Lynch from his office in Secaucus. "They're saying he would stab himself in the neck and then hang himself with (his wife's) purse strap? That's ridiculous. ... Never in a million years would he have done that."

Lead investigator Paulo Alberes told The Associated Press that police concluded Gatti killed himself on July 11 in a seaside resort in northeastern Brazil.

Police there held his wife, Amanda Rodrigues, 23, in the two-time former champion's death, they began doubt it when a coroner's report said that Gatti may have killed himself.

"We were all led to believe it was a cut-and-dry homicide," Lynch said. "This is so sad, such a terrible thing."

Gatti was born in Italy and raised in Montreal, but considered Jersey City his hometown after he moved to Hudson County in the mid-1990s. Four times his fights were named "Fight of the Year." He had moved back to Montreal after his marriage to Rodrigues about 18 months ago.

Lynch wasn't sure what he or his brother John, Gatti's lawyer, can do at this point, but vowed to try.

"We are not going to let this go," Lynch said. "We are hoping that the Canadien government will get involved. ... There is a lot of evidence this was preplanned. ... They were traveling in Europe and she went ahead to Brazil. Arturo was headed back to New Jersey for his sister's wedding and to get his (10-month-old) son and then (Rodrigues) says 'No, no, no. Come down here right now.' "

Lynch, who organized and a memorial Mass for Gatti last night at St. John the Baptist Church in Jersey City, said he expects a major backlash against the Brazilian authorities.

"This is impossible. Arturo loved life too much for something like this. Something has to be done."
The CEO
QUOTE (jlupi @ Jul 30 2009, 03:25 PM) *
Next, he got a chair and fastened the purse strap from the ceiling right in front of the point of the protruding knife. Then, he fastened the strap around his neck, and catapulted his body away from the wall with his feet, and once he projected out, like a weight on a pendulum, came swinging back towards the knife point. Being that the knife was jiggerrigged to the wall with crazy glue, it broke off and fell to the floor, Gatti then hung, then the purse strap broke...and ashes, ashes we all fall down.>>>>>>>

as i understand it he then bounced off the floor into a seated position on a couch

lol...see...that's the thing...we don't know all the details and have heard conflicting stories....I've heard he was seated....I've heard he was "found hanging"....where is the wound exactly?

Either his wife killed him, he killed himself, and/or it was a set up....
Method
He wasnt seated. That was Steve McNair.
The CEO
I know McNair was seated, but jlupi's saying..

as i understand it.....a seated position on a couch
Byrd Man
also the thing that people need to understand about Suicide is that not everyone shows signs. Not everyone exhibits warning signs that they are having problems. according to statistics 25% of people who commit suicide show no outward signs such as depression or anything like that.

Which leads many of his family and friends to doubt that it was suicide.

I don't know whether it was or not, but I think for people to just discount it and assume that she did it it's a bit ignorant. Anything's possible.
jlupi
that would be a cerebellar prob no a visual one.

QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 03:28 PM) *
There's claims Gatti was having vision problems and that he couldnt even put a cell phone to his ear because of his vision. WTF is wrong w that statement. I could be a blind man in the dark and still put a fucking phone to my ear. That's the worst example/excuse/whatever I have ever heard. Then again, that's Mike Marley for you...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-NY-Boxing-E...cide-wife-freed

singletrack
I don't know what happened, but what I will tell you is that I have personally been to northeastern Brazil and that place is fucking THIRD WORLD. I would not trust the cops or any form of government in that area of the country. Shit, you can barely trust them in the more established areas.

How can they expect anyone to take this release seriously without more details about the coroner's report or at least some details reconstructing what they believe happened?
jlupi
I dont think most here are claiming he was not capable of suicide. I think we are saying that he was not capable (or at least its highly unlikely) of stabbing himself w a steak knife in the back of the head/neck and then squeze his head through a purse (strap didnt look overly long to me) and then somehow suspend the purse while hoping that the purse didnt break. not to mention that the police did not find him hanging.

<<<also the thing that people need to understand about Suicide is that not everyone shows signs. Not everyone exhibits warning signs that they are having problems. according to statistics 25% of people who commit suicide show no outward signs such as depression or anything like that.

I don't know whether it was or not, but I think for people to just discount it and assume that she did it it's a bit ignorant. Anything's possible. >>>>
Box in Hand
Ok, if he did commit suicide then I bet that bitch drove him to it. I just wanna hate fuck her fine ass right now.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (jlupi @ Jul 30 2009, 01:08 PM) *
I dont think most here are claiming he was not capable of suicide. I think we are saying that he was not capable (or at least its highly unlikely) of stabbing himself w a steak knife in the back of the head/neck and then squeze his head through a purse (strap didnt look overly long to me) and then somehow suspend the purse while hoping that the purse didnt break. not to mention that the police did not find him hanging.

<<<also the thing that people need to understand about Suicide is that not everyone shows signs. Not everyone exhibits warning signs that they are having problems. according to statistics 25% of people who commit suicide show no outward signs such as depression or anything like that.

I don't know whether it was or not, but I think for people to just discount it and assume that she did it it's a bit ignorant. Anything's possible. >>>>

It's been said several times on this site in referring to Gatti and to Arguello that "he wouldn't do that" or some variation of that.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 01:12 PM) *

Exactly Method,

How would Gatti stab himself in the back of his head? I think that his wife did it or at least paid someone to do this. I believe she is involved in some way.

Jack
JD
QUOTE (Method @ Jul 30 2009, 03:14 PM) *

The CEO
QUOTE (JD @ Jul 30 2009, 07:15 PM) *

laugh.gif
Method

She looks pretty fuckin happy for someone who lost someone she loved. "Hi Fives All Around" is what that caption seems to scream.
Method
Brazil Provide Details on Boxer Gatti's Death
2009-07-31 14:41:23.774 GMT

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Brazilian police say boxer Arturo Gatti hanged himself with a bag strap that he tied around a wooden staircase column more than seven feet off the ground.
Milena Saraiva, a spokeswoman for police in the northeastern city of Recife, says police first thought Gatti was strangled by his wife because his body was found on the floor.
But an autopsy report indicated Gatti was suspended off the ground for some three hours early July 11. A crime scene analysis found markings on the staircase column.
Gatti was found several hours later by his 23-year-old Brazilian wife, Amanda Rodrigues.
She had been held in custody but was freed yesterday after police ruled Gatti's death a suicide.
Imperius3
Cops give details about how Gatti killed himself
Brazilian police say former boxing champion hanged himself with bag strap

RIO DE JANEIRO - Arturo Gatti hanged himself with a handbag strap from a staircase column more than seven feet off the ground, Brazilian police said Friday as they released new details about the boxer’s death.

Milena Saraiva, a police spokeswoman in the northeastern city of Recife, provided more information about Gatti’s suicide a day after authorities reversed their stance on the case. Until Thursday, they insisted it was a homicide and the boxer’s wife was tagged as the primary suspect.

“This case has been resolved. While the evidence at the scene first led us to think Gatti was murdered, the autopsy results and a detailed crime scene analysis simply pointed to a different outcome,” Saraiva said.

On Thursday, a judge ordered the release of Gatti’s wife, 23-year-old Amanda Rodrigues, who had been held since July 12 in Recife. She and Gatti arrived with their 10-month-old son a few days before in the resort town of Porto de Galinhas, where they rented a two-level apartment.

Police ultimately concluded that Gatti hanged himself in the apartment early on July 11 from a wooden staircase column that was 7.3 feet off the ground. He stood on a stool and kicked it out from underneath him, police said. The autopsy report said Gatti was suspended for about three hours before his body fell to the floor.

Rodrigues said she was sleeping with the pair’s son in an upstairs bedroom. She told police she went downstairs about 6 a.m. to get milk for the boy and saw Gatti’s body on the floor, but assumed he was drunkenly sleeping. It was not until she went back downstairs at 9 a.m. that she discovered Gatti was dead and called police. Saraiva said no suicide note was found.

“The first investigators to arrive at the scene only saw his body on the floor and the bloodied strap near his body,” Saraiva said. “They assumed his wife strangled him.”

Saraiva said 17 witnesses told police that the pair got into a loud fight on a street near the beach in Porto de Galinhas the night before Gatti died. Saraiva said Gatti had seven cans of beer, along with two bottles of wine, over the course of dinner and partying at a bar.

Witnesses told police Gatti at one point picked up Rodrigues, who weighs about 100 pounds, by her chin with his right hand and tossed her to the ground.

Saraiva said at that point a security guard for a local hotel intervened, only to be punched in the face by Gatti. A small crowd that had gathered around the scene grew angry, with some throwing stones and even a bicycle at the boxer, the police spokeswoman said.

One stone hit Gatti in the back of the head, causing a wound that police originally said was caused by a small steak knife that was found near his body — and which police showed off to reporters the day after Gatti’s death.

The fracas eventually broke up, and Gatti and Rodrigues returned to the apartment in separate taxis.

In an telephone interview with The Associated Press as she walked out of jail Thursday, Rodrigues said Gatti may have killed himself because he feared she would leave him after their fight, one of many during a rocky two-year marriage.

“I believe that when we got home and he saw that he hurt me, he thought I would leave him, that I would tell him to just let me go, that I would separate from him,” she said. “He did that in a moment of weakness. He was drunk, maybe he didn’t know what he was doing, maybe he thought I would leave him the next day.”

According to records at the Court of Quebec’s criminal and penal division, Gatti was charged on April 16 for violating a restraining order that had been filed against him. Records didn’t indicate who filed the restraining order, but Gatti’s mother, Ida, confirmed it was Rodrigues who had taken one out against him.

Gatti, a Canadian who captured two world titles in his 16-year pro career, retired in 2007 with a record of 40-9.

Many of his friends and family have expressed disbelief at the suicide ruling, and Canadian Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon said in a statement Friday that government officials will seek more information from Brazilian authorities on the Gatti investigation and its findings.

Maybe Gatti had more issues than we knew about.
Byrd Man
One stone hit Gatti in the back of the head, causing a wound that police originally said was caused by a small steak knife that was found near his body — and which police showed off to reporters the day after Gatti’s death.

Why are you posting this? Everyone knows that "Cunt Whore" did this! Who cares what facts come out? Who cares how many witnesses say something happened, it doesn't matter!

All that matters is that a hero is dead, and his "whore" wife needs to die for it.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jul 30 2009, 02:16 PM) *
I'm not believing this.

I'm sure she and O.J. Simpson will compare notes and have a nice laugh together at next year's "I Beat the System Convention". I guess next year's is in Rio.

She killed him.

There better be some mind-blowing details that haven't been released yet... that's all I'm saying.

I doubt O.J. will be joining any convention unless its an Hi My name is O.J. and I'm in prison for... Hi O.J.

Dude got something like 18-24 didn't he?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.