Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Pacquiao Afraid to Fight Cotto at 147?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
DavidThaKing
i know the Pacfans will be mad but i thought this was a good article

By Manuel Perez: Well, Manny Pacquiao only has himself and his trainer Freddie Roach to blame for this latest fiasco with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto about the title not being on the line for the fight. If Pacquiao and Roach wanted the title to be up for grabs in the fight, they shouldnít have forced Cotto to take the fight at a 145 pound catch weight rather than the 147 welterweight limit.

Thatís on them. Cotto has drawn a line in the sand and wonít be putting his WBO title on the line for this fight unless Pacquiao agrees to fight at 147. Pacquiao can solve all this if he just agrees to fight at the normal welterweight limit and forgets about all this catch weight nonsense.

If he wants the title, then do what all fighters do when competing for a title in the welterweight division, agree to fight at 147. Unless, of course, Pacquiao is scared to fight Cotto at 147. Then, I can entirely understand why Pacquiao wouldnít want to fight the bout at the normal 147 pound weight limit.

But, dealing with fear is part of boxing and if Pacquiao canít do it, then he needs to forget about fighting for the WBO title, because it isnít happening. I wonder what Pacquiao is afraid of? First he, he was hesitant to give Juan Manuel Marquez a rematch after winning a controversial 12 round split decision over him last year in March, and now heís unwilling to fight Cotto at the normal 147 weight limit of the welterweight division, yet he still wants Cottoís title on the line.

Why stop there? Why not make Cotto fight with a patch over one eye and still have his WBO title on the line? Pacquiao could then brag afterwards about winning his 7th world title without discussing the handicap that he was given that allowed him to win the bout. As it is, I couldnít count a win over Cotto as being legitimate if Cotto is forced to put his title on the line at a catch weight.

Thatís not fighting for a title, to me. Thatís more like some kind of circus like exhibition bout, a stay busy bout, rather than a true title fight. This is all show business stuff, like a side show event. It isnít a world title fight if both fighters arenít coming in at the normal weight for the division, as far as Iím concerned.

Cotto is saying that heíll vacate the WBO title if the World Boxing Organization tries to exert pressure for him to put his WBO title on the line for the fight. It looks as if that might actually happen because the WBO are on board with Miguelís title being on the line for this fight, even though the bout wonít be held at the normal welterweight limit of 147.

Pacquiao needs to man up grow a pair and take the fight at the normal weight or else shut his pie hole about the WBO title.
torvix2000
Of course Pacquiao is afraid of fighting Cotto at 147.

And based on what I've read, the writer built up from Juan Marquez's no rematch. LOL! I thought it was already the rematch.
torvix2000
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 1 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Why stop there? Why not make Cotto fight with a patch over one eye and still have his WBO title on the line?

LOL!
torvix2000
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 1 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Cotto is saying that heíll vacate the WBO title if the World Boxing Organization tries to exert pressure for him to put his WBO title on the line for the fight.

If Cotto doesn't want to stake the welter title, then don't fight within its range.
Keith
Yes he is. I dont know if he is actually afraid of Cotto, but I do think he is scared of losing. Pac and Roach are on top of the mountain right now. They have tasted the huge paydays and the celebrity afforded to their p4p status. They are scared of losing it and are willing to seek every advantage to keep it.
torvix2000
Floyd will get pissed. Why? Because all these talks about Pac and Cotto are overshadowing his upcoming fight.
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Aug 1 2009, 02:06 PM) *
If Cotto doesn't want to stake the welter title, then don't fight within its range.

exactly all u pac haters shut the fuck up cotto weighed in at 146 against clottey and would only have to shed 1 measley pound whereas pacman would have to move up about 3-4 pounds and thats just the start of it come fight night pacman will weigh 147-8 and cotto will be at 160 for fuck sake thats a middleweight u fucking stupid assholes pacquiao is the man facing the gr8 challenge not pacquiao and he's number 1 he should be making the decisions and be in charge coz if the shoe was on the other foot would cotto do what pac's done or any other fighter of today's generation i don't think so so shut the fuck up bitches and try and prove me wrong faggots. I am by no means a cotto hater coz cotto is my 2nd favourite after pacman but all this bitching about pacquiao is stupid im done u haters gotta realize a man so humble yet devastating comes around once a lifetime and if the man wins he will do what no man has done b4 not SRR or Ali or Tyson or any other i wanna be part of the generation that whitnessed the pacman's power and domination and tell my kids one day about him u call yourself men, men don't bitch now either shut the fuck up or leave the fucking website coz im only speaking the truth, peace.
D-MARV
If men don't bitch, I guess Pacquiao ain't a man He's doing the bitchin right now.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 01:49 PM) *
u fucking stupid assholes pacquiao is the man facing the gr8 challenge not pacquiao and he's number 1

Pac is not facing any challenge he is facing a skeleton version of Cotto because he is a stone coward. FLoyd will put a whoopin on Pac like his daddy did when he asked what happened to his dog.

QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 01:49 PM) *
if the man wins he will do what no man has done b4 not SRR or Ali or Tyson or any other i wanna be part of the generation that whitnessed the pacman's power and domination and tell my kids one day about him u call yourself men, men don't bitch now either shut the fuck up or leave the fucking website coz im only speaking the truth, peace.

Yup you got it right SRR, Ali & Tyson were not little bitch made men who forced their opponents to weigh in under the weight limit that has existed for over 100 years. I am witnessing one of the greatest cowards to step in a ring in Pac right now. Him & his handicapped trainer Freddy "jitters" Cockroach disgust every true boxing fan.

I will never shut the fuck up & will be here for years to come. Pac is like the mongrel dog his dad ate begging for scraps at the PPV table when we all know Floyd is the money maker & booty taker in the ropes so if they fight 90/10 & PBF gets all PPV rights.
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 1 2009, 02:56 PM) *
If men don't bitch, I guess Pacquiao ain't a man He's doing the bitchin right now.

first STFU what are you on dumb cunt pacquiao didn't even make the jr welterweight limit of 140 against hatton so you think he can make welterweight man STFU he's about to break history if he wins that is but your just a faggot who loves floyd i bet who is a terrible role model to young african americans and all boxers. Why don't u go hate on some one who really deserves it a.k.a. pretty boy.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 02:10 PM) *
first STFU what are you on dumb cunt pacquiao didn't even make the jr welterweight limit of 140 against hatton so you think he can make welterweight man STFU he's about to break history if he wins that is but your just a faggot who loves floyd i bet who is a terrible role model to young african americans and all boxers. Why don't u go hate on some one who really deserves it a.k.a. pretty boy.

Look at the statistics sunshine.

Floyd has NEVER LOST

Pac has LOST THREE TIMES

I will repeat that LOST THREE TIMES

I rest my case Pac is a LOSER Floyd is a WINNER.

Who did bigger numbers against DLH & Hatton?

Give you a hint it was not Pac.
caneman
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 10:10 AM) *

You need to chill with the name calling & ish son!
Keith
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 09:49 AM) *
exactly all u pac haters shut the fuck up

so shut the fuck up bitches and try and prove me wrong faggots.

men don't bitch now either shut the fuck up or leave the fucking website coz im only speaking the truth, peace.

Wow. You are an ignorant fool. This is not how to introduce yourself to a community of people that enjoy the same sport you do. Learn some diplomacy son... this is not how grown men discuss something... oh wait your probably not grown yet. Your probably just tall enough to swing on Pacs nutsack. I personally love how you ended by saying "Peace". Look it up in the dictionary my friend, you wont see the words "fuck", "bitches", or "faggots" anywhere in the definition. Your a coward hiding behind your keyboard.
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Pac is not facing any challenge he is facing a skeleton version of Cotto because he is a stone coward. FLoyd will put a whoopin on Pac like his daddy did when he asked what happened to his dog.

Yup you got it right SRR, Ali & Tyson were not little bitch made men who forced their opponents to weigh in under the weight limit that has existed for over 100 years. I am witnessing one of the greatest cowards to step in a ring in Pac right now. Him & his handicapped trainer Freddy "jitters" Cockroach disgust every true boxing fan.

I will never shut the fuck up & will be here for years to come. Pac is like the mongrel dog his dad ate begging for scraps at the PPV table when we all know Floyd is the money maker & booty taker in the ropes so if they fight 90/10 & PBF gets all PPV rights.

Stevenski STFU i like your picture why don't u go watch ur fake little wrestling and watch full grown men man handle each other and watch stone cold smash a beer over his head or better yet yours. Skeleton version of cotto lol why don't we talk about how floyd talks about how he beat hatton how he had to move up 7 pounds and it took ur pretty boy 10 rounds to ko him whereas pacman had to move up 5 pounds and didn't even make the jr welterweight limit coz he weighed in at 138 do some research dumb fuck, faced the number 1 jr welter in hatton and didn't ko hatton but KHTFO and the oscar fight wasn't manny's fault so don't even mention that.

As for making his opponents come down in weight ur must be the most ignorant floyd nut hugging spastic iv'e ever seen comment on this website. Yeah pretty boy against pac 90/10 to floyd and so on never gonna happen only in your head. About him being the PPV attraction wake up moron floyd started to call himself the "cash cow" when he fought DLH and Hatton who have the biggest fanbase's in the world along with pac. Floyd was never the attraction the only thing he attracts is hate for belittleing gr8 fighter's and there accomplishments and your right a few ppl watch him but only coz they want to see him get KTFO.

Eleanor roosevelt quotes "Only a man's character is the real criterion of worth." and also

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

You fall into both quotes as you are small minded for discussing freddie roach who can't defend himself so i will and taking the piss out of some one who suffers from parkinson's the same disease which Ali suffers from. You also show your character in the same sentence aswell but i tell you this in in their hay day Freddie and ali would lay the "Smack down" on you in fact i reckon roach could take you nowadays even in his condition. I feel sorry for you trying to degrade a old man who suffers from parkinson's. The man has alot more to be proud of then you though he has trained 20+ world champions and had a good professional career. With that i think your done L8R.
hardpunch
Pacquiao should fight Cotto at 147 lbs. , weight limit for welterweigth division, and the weighin should be conducted as they step in the ring at the day of fight to make sure that their weights does not exceed the limit of 147 lbs, because when the weighin is a day before the fight, they will step in the ring on fight day more than 147 lbs and thats not welterweight class. it will be supper welterweight........, middlewieght............
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 1 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Wow. You are an ignorant fool. This is not how to introduce yourself to a community of people that enjoy the same sport you do. Learn some diplomacy son... this is not how grown men discuss something... oh wait your probably not grown yet. Your probably just tall enough to swing on Pacs nutsack. I personally love how you ended by saying "Peace". Look it up in the dictionary my friend, you wont see the words "fuck", "bitches", or "faggots" anywhere in the definition. Your a coward hiding behind your keyboard.

I admit your right there i hardly ever comment on these websites i only do on the subjects i feel strongly and yes i go over board but all this BS about Pacquiao is driving me mad the guy is a great sportsman and great role model and i can't believe who ppl defend someone like floyd who is the complete opposite of floyd, Yes floyd is a great boxer his skills are without equal but his heart and attitude is only going to give the sport a bad name and drive fans away whereas pacquiao has sort of rejuvinated boxing and now ppl keep bashing him it just winds me up. Oh everyone out there sorry if i went over board but i still stand by what i said and sorry about all the stupid name calling. Stevenski i disagree Pacquiao isn't a loser he has lost but he has learned and is now a winner whereas Floyd has won every fight but in my oppinion is a loser.
DavidThaKing
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 09:49 AM) *
exactly all u pac haters shut the fuck up cotto weighed in at 146 against clottey and would only have to shed 1 measley pound whereas pacman would have to move up about 3-4 pounds and thats just the start of it come fight night pacman will weigh 147-8 and cotto will be at 160 for fuck sake thats a middleweight u fucking stupid assholes pacquiao is the man facing the gr8 challenge not pacquiao and he's number 1 he should be making the decisions and be in charge coz if the shoe was on the other foot would cotto do what pac's done or any other fighter of today's generation i don't think so so shut the fuck up bitches and try and prove me wrong faggots. I am by no means a cotto hater coz cotto is my 2nd favourite after pacman but all this bitching about pacquiao is stupid im done u haters gotta realize a man so humble yet devastating comes around once a lifetime and if the man wins he will do what no man has done b4 not SRR or Ali or Tyson or any other i wanna be part of the generation that whitnessed the pacman's power and domination and tell my kids one day about him u call yourself men, men don't bitch now either shut the fuck up or leave the fucking website coz im only speaking the truth, peace.

am i the only one that remembers Freddie Roach saying it doesn't matter if this fight happens at 200lbs Pacquiao is going to win??

so whats the problem with going to 147 thats the offical weight you want the title win like everyone else does you can't make it easy on him because he is small or because he is your favorite boxer if he wants to do something nobody else has done than do it the right way don't take the easy road go fight the champion at 147 and beat him at 147 and prove your the best pound for pound fighter in the world

and what gives Pacquiao the right to make any decisions Cotto is the champion and Pacquiao wants to fight him for his title so how does Pacquiao have a say in anything Floyd didnt have a say when he fought De La Hoya at 154 and he was number one pound for pound at the time the champion makes the decisions not the challenger
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 03:42 PM) *
Stevenski STFU i like your picture why don't u go watch ur fake little wrestling and watch full grown men man handle each other and watch stone cold smash a beer over his head or better yet yours. Skeleton version of cotto lol why don't we talk about how floyd talks about how he beat hatton how he had to move up 7 pounds and it took ur pretty boy 10 rounds to ko him whereas pacman had to move up 5 pounds and didn't even make the jr welterweight limit coz he weighed in at 138 do some research dumb fuck, faced the number 1 jr welter in hatton and didn't ko hatton but KHTFO and the oscar fight wasn't manny's fault so don't even mention that.

Bla bla bla. PBF wrecked Hatton & when he faced Pac he was damaged goods & a shell of his former self. So was DLh because that is what PBF does to fighters he takes their soul & leaves them a empty shell.

As for making his opponents come down in weight ur must be the most ignorant floyd nut hugging spastic iv'e ever seen comment on this website. Yeah pretty boy against pac 90/10 to floyd and so on never gonna happen only in your head. About him being the PPV attraction wake up moron floyd started to call himself the "cash cow" when he fought DLH and Hatton who have the biggest fanbase's in the world along with pac. Floyd was never the attraction the only thing he attracts is hate for belittleing gr8 fighter's and there accomplishments and your right a few ppl watch him but only coz they want to see him get KTFO.

Showing your stupidity again boyo. Who did bigger PPV numbers when they fight PBF vs DLH or Pac vs DLH? Who did bigger PPV numbers PBF vs Hatton or Pac vs Hatton? If Pac has such a big fanbase why did he not do bigger numbers than PBF? Because he is a LOSER who has no real fans just brainwashed Pinoy idiots who think he is some type of god. PBf belittled fighters that are not worthy of being in the same room as him & he is the greatest fighter in history. When has he lost? NEVER unlike dog boy Pac.

Eleanor roosevelt quotes "Only a man's character is the real criterion of worth." and also

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

You fall into both quotes as you are small minded for discussing freddie roach who can't defend himself so i will and taking the piss out of some one who suffers from parkinson's the same disease which Ali suffers from. You also show your character in the same sentence aswell but i tell you this in in their hay day Freddie and ali would lay the "Smack down" on you in fact i reckon roach could take you nowadays even in his condition. I feel sorry for you trying to degrade a old man who suffers from parkinson's. The man has alot more to be proud of then you though he has trained 20+ world champions and had a good professional career. With that i think your done L8R.

Fuck it you tell Freddy to go make me a martini & like James Bond I want that fucker shaken not stirred so Freddy should be able to fix me up a nice one. I don't care if he has trained 20+ world champions how many of them are undefeated like Floyd is? Thats right none!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 03:53 PM) *
I admit your right there i hardly ever comment on these websites i only do on the subjects i feel strongly and yes i go over board but all this BS about Pacquiao is driving me mad the guy is a great sportsman and great role model

Great role models don't let their parents eat their pets do they?
KookedKrack
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2009, 09:14 AM) *

Floyd has NEVER LOST

Pac has LOST THREE TIMES

holy fuck am I the only one that feels like he is in the twilight zone while i agree that pac is a faggot for these bs demands stevenski defending floyd made me do a fucking double take
Keith
It just proves how much things have changed for Pac in regards to hard core fans. I have lost so much respect for that Oompa Loompa. I used to love Oompa Loompas... but not so much now.
Snoop
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 1 2009, 03:14 PM) *

Floyd has NEVER LOST

Pac has LOST THREE TIMES

LMAO! Holy shit STEVENSKI has joined the dark side!
Thegreatequalizer
titles don't really mean much to me, but if you're going to fight for the title, both combatants should be allowed to come in at the limit for the title (in this case, 147). i don't really mind catch weights. almost all fighters will fight a pound or two above their division limit on the way up. it's better if people fight at the division limits, but whatever, i just want to see fights. but if you want the belt it should be at that division's limit, no question.

i don't think manny is scared of fighting cotto, but i think roach is being very cautious. he's trying to give his guy advantages. can't blame him for that. cotto's no joke and no slouch, so moving up to fight him is a dangerous move.
mrwigi
FUCK YEA he is
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (121 @ Aug 1 2009, 09:10 AM) *

i see a ban coming if you you dont watch your language...
rusty_trombone
121= my new hero
iron_mike
Alot of hate is directed at Pac, when it should be if at all, directed towards Roach and Arum, but what is Freddie doing?? Trying to get every advantage possible for his fighter, which is what a trainer is supposed to do. Some of the trash talking about the 8 oz gloves wasn't necessary, but Pac is a fighter, every post fight interview 'I'm just a fighter, my job is to train and fight...that is up to my promoter'
STEVENSKI
Just to clarify it was rather late & I was bored so I set some bait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.