Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Assault in The Ring: Reflections on Collins Resto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
An opportunity for all FightHypers to comment on HBO's upcoming special reflecting on the Collins-Resto fight. However, after 9 PM CST tonight (during the first telecast) SPOILERS will be inside the thread, so you may not want to comment in this thread after 9 CST tonight until you have seen the special.

Check your Cable Guide for repeat times. The special should also air on HBO On Demand beginning next week.

Jack

Administrator
True-Boxing-Fan
HBO did a great job on this story. Panama Lewis is the scum bag of boxing. This asshole is just a plain and simple piece of shit. I kind of feel bad for Resto.
mrniceguy
That was one of the better documentary's I have scene in awhile. I agree Panama Lewis is a piece of crap who preys on the weaker. He obviously has done this his entire life. The two real victims are the boxers Billy Collins and Luis Resto. Very sad
MarzB
Let me see if I can find this video.. There were some interviews with Panama Lewis before this documentary was filmed

WARNING: YOU MAY VOMIT from tolerating this piece of schit in his explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB1GJ4wIdNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9FkHaOGOTk

AFter watching it I see it's the same ol Panama. I was very young when this fight happened to totally understand the implication but I do remember the Moore vs Duran fight. Wow.

Anyways, what strikes me is this. How common "plaster" really is and during breaks I thought the ref usually is grabbing the gloves. Not necessarily checking for removed padding but amazing how Collins father so quickly spotted that.

Also I give Resto props for trying to correct his wrongs although I didn't like the fact he was lying in the middle but he's learned. He's also still in great shape but thats beside the point.

I do believe (not to malign the dead) that Billy was holding out for that lawsuit of sorts. What Artie, panama and Resto did definitely contributed to Billy's demise but IMO those three didn't force him to to be an excessive drinker, weed smoker and they didn't drive the car off the cliff. He has some accountability in his death. Granted he was only 22 at the time but again, he has some accountability.

Good piece, better than the fights on SHO
MarzB
That reminds me. Did anyone else ever hear that in the rematch of Leonard vs Duran, allegedly Panama Lewis tried to do something to the ring to disable Ray's mobility??

There's a good story about that that I don't recall all of the details.
sXeGreg
This definitely after some slight research solidfied the fact that this wasn't necessarily an HBO original, moreso a repackaged movie under the HBO banner. But i guess someone already knew that, I wasn't as aware till i saw the trailer for the actual movie. The old Cotto/Judah fight helped. And living 15 mins from the Morris Park Boxing Gym i can tell you they added a nice little sign to the front of it now.

As hard as it was too watch, in the end its good to see atleast one of those men own up to their wrongdoings. And i appluad him for trying to visit those homes. Telling your family and friends is one thing. But to be able to see the other guy's widow and parents. That took some strong guts. It'll be good for his soul.
JD
This may sound insane, but I felt immensely for Luis Resto.

Panama Lewis, on the other hand, I found myself actually wanting to see hurt very badly...possibly tortured.
Michigan Assassin
I thought the doc was alright but I didn't really like the filmmaker. He seemed really manipulative especially towards Billy Collins Sr and Luis Resto. But I guess that is the Michael Moore school of documentaries. And the angle of Billy Collins looking for a lawsuit was complete bullshit. A man doesn't get suicidal because he's waiting for a big payout.

Also. I don't think Resto is some sort of angel. I mean it did take him 25 years to come clean.

And Bob Arum looks like a complete ass defending Margarito when he saw what happened to Collins.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 2 2009, 02:43 PM) *
This may sound insane, but I felt immensely for Luis Resto.

Panama Lewis, on the other hand, I found myself actually wanting to see hurt very badly...possibly tortured.

I agree
Method
LOL @ JD and "Tortured". That's why we get along so wel my man. I promise you the words "gasoline" and "matches" came out of my mouth when I was watching this with my lady (who incidentally was brought to tears watching Resto being taken advantage of during the doc.

ALSO "LOL" at Marz remarking at Resto being in great shape. Only a hardcore fan would comment on that, and I myself was thinking the same thing. Didnt help that his two fat fuck sons were posing next to their dad who had full blown veins coursing through his arms.

As for Panama being reinstated? MY GOD what a PIECE of SHIT. Banned for life isn't long enough. When he dies, and goes to HELL, he should be assigned as a men's figure skating coach assigned to Brian Boitano.

I believe Resto should be allowed to train. That guy is truly tormented.

More than everything, I can't believe how Billy Collins stood up to that pounding.

Panama Lewis man...my girl was literally crying watching this shit. Resto was completely used and abused for this documentary. having him walk up to all these residence sknocking on doors and shit, just for the cameras...and that slippery fuck Panama Lewis. How about after Resto confronted him the first time, and Panama went out that night clowning Resto in a bar to some other cat. Disgusting.

Reinstate Pete Rose. Fuck Panama Lewis.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 2 2009, 10:57 PM) *
LOL @ JD and "Tortured". That's why we get along so well, my man. I promise you the words "gasoline" and "matches" came out of my mouth when I was watching this with my lady (who incidentally was brought to tears watching Resto being taken advantage of during the doc).

ALSO "LOL" at Marz remarking at Resto being in great shape. Only a hardcore fan would comment on that, and I myself was thinking the same thing. Didn't help that his two fat fuck sons were posing next to their dad who had full blown veins coursing through his arms.

As for Panama being reinstated? MY GOD what a PIECE of SHIT. Banned for life isn't long enough. When he dies, and goes to HELL, he should be assigned as a men's figure skating coach assigned to Brian Boitano.

I believe Resto should be allowed to train. That guy is truly tormented.

More than everything, I can't believe how Billy Collins stood up to that pounding.

Panama Lewis man...my girl was literally crying watching this shit. Resto was completely used and abused for this documentary. having him walk up to all these residence sknocking on doors and shit, just for the cameras...and that slippery fuck Panama Lewis. How about after Resto confronted him the first time, and Panama went out that night clowning Resto in a bar to some other cat. Disgusting.

resto is just as guilty as panama... no way he didnt know his gloves where missing padding then after watching the show i didnt know he had plaster on top of that... he knew that as well... if panamas isnt re-instated nor should resto be allowed.. they where parterns in crime...
BGv2.0
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 3 2009, 03:07 AM) *
resto is just as guilty as panama... no way he didnt know his gloves where missing padding then after watching the show i didnt know he had plaster on top of that... he knew that as well... if panamas isnt re-instated nor should resto be allowed.. they where parterns in crime...

Not anymore. This man not only served his time....BUT unlike Lewis he has owned up to taking part in something awful. On paper that may not mean much....but morally....it is miles ahead of anything Lewis has ever done...and I think that should make a difference.

Resto was the fighter....Lewis was the trainer.....they both were supposedly banned from what they do....YET...only Resto has 100% lost everything. Lewis still trains fighters....Resto never boxed professionally again.

I think Resto should be allowed to train as his offense took place as a fighter and not a trainer...but that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Method @ Aug 2 2009, 10:57 PM) *

I don't think Resto was used at all....as a matter of fact I think the film maker pushed so hard because he knew this man NEEDED to own up to his role to move forward....I think the film maker knew this and pretty well guided him by the hand to make amends.....I don't think it was just for the cameras....no doubt that is part of it....but the film maker really seemed to care about his topic to a major degree.

And I doubt he earned millions for making this. as much as it pains me to say it....I wish Avon was here, as he worked in the doc field...and I'm sure he would attest to this.

I think this film maker really cared about all parties involved. This fight has always been a hushed, quitely talked about, shame on the sport....it takes caring about a situation to reopen a topic that you know from the get go is going to be looked down upon....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Aug 3 2009, 11:45 AM) *
Not anymore. This man not only served his time....BUT unlike Lewis he has owned up to taking part in something awful. On paper that may not mean much....but morally....it is miles ahead of anything Lewis has ever done...and I think that should make a difference.

Resto was the fighter....Lewis was the trainer.....they both were supposedly banned from what they do....YET...only Resto has 100% lost everything. Lewis still trains fighters....Resto never boxed professionally again.

I think Resto should be allowed to train as his offense took place as a fighter and not a trainer...but that's just my opinion.

i still think there is more to the story than what came out on this doc... i could be wrong but if you look at resto at the end when he's talking to panama and they are going back and forth he has a very submissive attitude with him.. he tries to hold his ground but is very quickly shut down by panama... i noticed that he even asked panama at one point "well who did it?"... just saying... as much as we would like to put all the blame on panama and more than likely rightfully so it just seems like there is a missing link to the story to me... i could be wrong...
Jack 1000
Great documentary!

Very moving. And I have such disdain for Panama Lewis now that words could not describe it. I hope someone beats on him with padless gloves for 10 rounds because that is what this prick deserves. He is vulture vomit!

Jack
BGv2.0
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 3 2009, 02:37 PM) *
i still think there is more to the story than what came out on this doc... i could be wrong but if you look at resto at the end when he's talking to panama and they are going back and forth he has a very submissive attitude with him.. he tries to hold his ground but is very quickly shut down by panama... i noticed that he even asked panama at one point "well who did it?"... just saying... as much as we would like to put all the blame on panama and more than likely rightfully so it just seems like there is a missing link to the story to me... i could be wrong...

He is very submissive....I think for two reasons....1.) he's simply not very bright. Resto seems like the type of guy that would take things...ALL THINGS at face value. 2.) That POS Lewis has been dangling that "I'll take care of you" BS over his head for YEARS...and somewhere inside there is still that level of loyalty to a guy that took you in and tried to make you a better fighter.

BUT...if anything.....that SHOULD make one feel Lewis is even lower than your average POS....

You might be right...there may be more as far as the other guy putting plaster in the gloves or whatever....BUT...between the give me the one I mixed and this......you can bet Lewis was behind this shit....it's not as if he was totally in the dark and had not a clue as he would have folks believe.

The CEO
Saw this last night....the only thing good about it was that it was about Boxing...

I don't give a shit about or feel for anyone (other than Collins Jr.) in this documentary....and that includes the director.
Method
I hear what you're saying, BG.

IMO, this was not that great a documentary, production-wise, when compared to original HBO productions, and as someone already pointed out, it's because I think this guy independently produced it, and HBO bought it.

Jack 1000
This is the very end of the fight from You Tube. I don't know if it is edited but Buffer does not give the individual scorecards. What does Buffer say at the end? All I can make out is:

"You're attention please, would _______________please report to ringside?" You can here Panama yelling, "Those are the gloves they gave us!!!!"

With this fight being the undercard for Duran-Moore on closed circuit at the time, I don't think CBS showed the fight till a week later or something like that. I don't know what audio this is from. The Duran-Moore main event that ESPN Superbouts shows has Jake Lamotta interestingly enough doing commentary. I think CBS tape delay for Collins-Resto was Tim Ryan, Gil Clancy, and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLV1EP82Yp4

Jack

kidbazooka1
I feel for Resto the guy has nothing he should atleast be able to work corners he manned up to what he did regardless if it took so long that showed a lot of heart.

As for Lewis though the guy is a f*Cking snake he shouldn't even be allowed into a boxing gym.

Overall I thought it was a good documentary.
D-MARV
Just finished watching it for the first time. I couldn't help but to feel bad for Resto. Lewis used that man.

Lewis can eat a dick.
King Eugene
This documentary was made a year or two ago right? Anybody know of any updates on the situation besides the last lawsuit was denied?
Snoop
double post
Snoop
Just saw the film. Like most people here, felt bad for Resto, wanted to see Lewis anally raped with a broomstick.

Don't know why but the director bugged the shit out of me. Something about the tone of his voice just made him seem like an opportunist, especially when he was declaring to the public that he had found new evidence. He seemed to be enjoying the limelight too much and announced it as if he was coveting previous information that he should be admired for. Well, for me at least. They should have definitely got a professional narrator. Maybe it was just his voice, but it wasn't working for me.

In terms of the actual story, I wish Resto would fucking stand up for himself more and beat the shit out of Panama Lewis. Can you believe Panama actually said, "Come give daddy a hug" after he confronted him?
nicole
the show was really a tearjerker, people seem to forget when you are young, hungry and clawing to make it in this world some things make sense at the time ,but until something bad happens you keep doing what you do .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.