Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should Panama Lewis Get His Boxing License Back?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
DavidThaKing
this might seem crazy to some but after watching the HBO documentry Assult In The Ring i think that he should he deserves another chance what he did was wrong but we all make mistakes i don't think its right for him not to be able to what he loves because of one mistake after all this time i think he learned his lesson plus he is good trainner i would say the same thing for Luis Resto to i mean if they let Margarito cheat and only give him a year suspension Lewis and Resto had to go to prison there debt has been paid and i think they should at least let Panama and Luis be able to work a corner
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 2 2009, 11:56 AM) *
this might seem crazy to some but after watching the HBO documentry Assult In The Ring i think that he should he deserves another chance what he did was wrong but we all make mistakes i don't think its right for him not to be able to what he loves because of one mistake after all this time i think he learned his lesson plus he is good trainner i would say the same thing for Luis Resto to i mean if they let Margarito cheat and only give him a year suspension Lewis and Resto had to go to prison there debt has been paid and i think they should at least let Panama and Luis be able to work a corner

at this point i dont see why not.. as tragic of a story that was too many fighters have been allowed to continue fighting after biting banned substances etc... look at margarito and his trainer.. both will see the ring again.. i say let panama back.. it wont happen but he deserves his second chance.. in actuality he is a very solid boxing trainer... he is good at teaching the fundamentals...
Nay_Sayer
No.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 2 2009, 09:56 AM) *

You are fucking crazy if you even think he deserves to be back in boxing, especially after watching Assault in the Ring. He is the biggest piece of shit in boxing. The dude couldnt even be give Resto a honest answer after all these years. He is just a plain and simple scumbag. Lewis was banned from boxing for life and to me that still isnt long enough. Fuck all cheaters, especially Lewis, Margarito, Capatillo and Resto. I actually kind of feel bad for Resto, Panama lewis took advantage of Resto's vulnerability and it showed in the documentary. Fuck that scumbag Panama Lewis
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 2 2009, 12:14 PM) *
No.

Agreed. And I might add that the fact Margarito only got a year sucks.
Col Reb
Hell no! They both should be banned for life. Mosley could have been killed in there. Plus, an example needs to be made in order to discourage for guys in boxing from cheating.
STEVENSKI
Personally I think that Panama Lewis should have his C7 vertabrae broken & let him live as a quadraplegic.

He should never enter a boxing gym again let alone train a fighter.
iron_mike
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 2 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Why?? The guy is a proven CHEAT.
STEVENSKI
Perhaps he should suffer the same fate as Collins. Brain damage, depression & suicide. Lewis as good as put a bullet in his head & for that he deserves to suffer.
Romulus9
In all honesty, how I feel about this is pretty clear.

I'm in the minority but I'd allow Resto to have a license again. What happened was wrong. What he's had to deal with mentally and emotionally has been pure torture. I absolutely think he was manipulated by Panama Lewis, a man who used his position as a father figure to take advantage of Resto in a way that is so disgusting that words don't do it justice. We're a country of second chances, but only when a chance is truly merited. Resto didn't just pay for what happened for 2 1/2 years in jail, he pays for it every day. He has since 1983. As a trainer, he wouldn't be pulling padding out of gloves or mixing odd substances in water bottles. He'd just work like crazy to do his absolute best to earn a living, to do it honestly, to do it well, and to finally find the redemption that has escaped him for almost 30 years. If I had a fighter, I may not let Luis be the sole, lead guy, but I'd let him work in the camp, work the corner, and be involved with my fighter's career. I don't know if anyone would work harder at this point because no one else would have their heart in it more.

On the other hand, Panama Lewis got less than what he deserved. His manipulation and destruction of Resto just multiples the atrocity of what happened to Billy Collins, the Collins family, and the scar that it left on the sport. This man managed to destroy several lives, and lead to the taking of one life in particular. Forget the license, forget his unofficial work with fighters in training camps. He shouldn't be allowed to watch Friday Night Fights, much less work with a fighter. It's a shame because Panama Lewis is an incredibly gifted trainer. He was a master of his craft. He also destroyed himself and others for reasons that only he knows. Failure isn't enough for him. It's not truly just. I'm not entirely sure what would be a sufficient fate for Lewis, but the fact that he gets calls and works with fighters in a gym is enough to make me sick.
Method
You are fucking crazy if you even think he deserves to be back in boxing, especially after watching Assault in the Ring. He is the biggest piece of shit in boxing. The dude couldnt even be give Resto a honest answer after all these years. He is just a plain and simple scumbag. Lewis was banned from boxing for life and to me that still isnt long enough.

MY GOD what a PIECE of SHIT. Banned for life isn't long enough. When he dies, and goes to HELL, he should be assigned as a men's figure skating coach assigned to Brian Boitano.

I believe Resto should be allowed to train. That guy is truly tormented.

More than everything, I can't believe how Billy Collins stood up to that pounding.

Panama Lewis man...my girl was literally crying watching this shit. Resto was completely used and abused for this documentary. having him walk up to all these residence sknocking on doors and shit, just for the cameras...and that slippery fuck Panama Lewis. How about after Resto confronted him the first time, and Panama went out that night clowning Resto in a bar to some other cat. Disgusting.
STEVENSKI
What is really sick is that some people on here think that Panama Lewis should be allowed to train people.

That is like saying Mengle should have been allowed to practice medicine after what he did at Auschwitz. Once you cross that line you don't get to go back.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Aug 2 2009, 06:43 PM) *
Why?? The guy is a proven CHEAT.

margarito is a proven cheat... what he attempted to do is just as worse... he only got a year... sugar shane is linked to banned substances as well, he got less than a slap on the wrist... there cant be a double standard here... he would have a good case if he went back to the comissions.. yes the outcome of panama's situation was the worse of the worse but fact still remains what he did is no less than what margarito attempted to do or a fighter taking banned substances is attempting to do in the ring... just sayin and i know this wont be popular for me to say but if you are going to ban him for life ban every fighter or trainer that pulls such a travesty in the sport... ban sugar shane now.. keep marg. out of the ring for good.. what they did is the same only the results werent as lethal....
STEVENSKI
Well Panama not only plastered the wraps but took padding out of the gloves. I know which was worse....
iron_mike
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 2 2009, 11:51 PM) *
MY GOD what a PIECE of SHIT. Banned for life isn't long enough. When he dies, and goes to HELL, he should be assigned as a men's figure skating coach assigned to Brian Boitano.

I believe Resto should be allowed to train. That guy is truly tormented.

More than everything, I can't believe how Billy Collins stood up to that pounding.

Panama Lewis man...my girl was literally crying watching this shit. Resto was completely used and abused for this documentary. having him walk up to all these residence sknocking on doors and shit, just for the cameras...and that slippery fuck Panama Lewis. How about after Resto confronted him the first time, and Panama went out that night clowning Resto in a bar to some other cat. Disgusting.

Couldnt have said it better...If hell exists, Panama Lewis will be joined by Hitler, and Don King, and Bin Laden

"he should be assigned as a men's figure skating coach assigned to Brian Boitano."

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!
lloyd mayflower
Cant believe anyone is even arguing the point here, the only point worthy of any arguement here is why Margaritos punishment wasnt more, not whether Lewis's should be less. That cunt has no regard for the wellbeing of his own fighters or his opposition, pretty dangerous in a sport whose fundamentals are punching people about the skull.
MarzB
Save for the post asking him to reinstated, I agree with everyone. I'm trying to wonder how in the hell does he still make a living. I posted some videos of him in the other thread and what I'm trying to figure out is "whats so great" about him honestly.

I don't want to deviate but I'm sooo glad Pryor beat Arguello again because I now believe there was that antihistamine that Resto says in Pryor's bottle also. But back to Panama, how is he earning money (to amass the excessive jewelry,lol). Surely it's not just from Zab is it.

Meth, you live in Miami I think right? Do you recognize that gym he works out of?? HOw could anyone even if he has "super knowledge" work with him in good faith??

He's one two faced son of a bitch too. The way he talked about Resto ("I didn't like his approach", who the fuck are you??) and my god how he took money for each interview. Can someone please punch him in his pregnant stomach, that guy makes me sick.

I'm all for do the crime, do your time move on. But him alleging that the gloves padding were missing from the transport after they were sized. Are you KIDDING ME???

The evidence is there right at the end of the fight how Resto responded when Collins Sr noticed the glove,then Panama runs over, "those are the ones you gave us". Yeah typical response of someone innocent.
iron_mike
QUOTE (MarzB @ Aug 3 2009, 11:16 AM) *
Save for the post asking him to reinstated, I agree with everyone. I'm trying to wonder how in the hell does he still make a living. I posted some videos of him in the other thread and what I'm trying to figure out is "whats so great" about him honestly.

I don't want to deviate but I'm sooo glad Pryor beat Arguello again because I now believe there was that antihistamine that Resto says in Pryor's bottle also. But back to Panama, how is he earning money (to amass the excessive jewelry,lol). Surely it's not just from Zab is it.

Meth, you live in Miami I think right? Do you recognize that gym he works out of?? HOw could anyone even if he has "super knowledge" work with him in good faith??

He's one two faced son of a bitch too. The way he talked about Resto ("I didn't like his approach", who the fuck are you??) and my god how he took money for each interview. Can someone please punch him in his pregnant stomach, that guy makes me sick.

I'm all for do the crime, do your time move on. But him alleging that the gloves padding were missing from the transport after they were sized. Are you KIDDING ME???

The evidence is there right at the end of the fight how Resto responded when Collins Sr noticed the glove,then Panama runs over, "those are the ones you gave us". Yeah typical response of someone innocent.

Like my 1st response...the guy is a proven CHEAT..."No, the other bottle I mixed' vs Arguello, who knows how many undocumented instances of cheating besides these two, and the Collins, obviously the most serious....WHY WOULD YOU LET THIS GUY ANYWHERE NEAR BOXING EVER AGAIN?? HIS INTENTION VS COLLINS WAS TO HURT HIM ILLEGALLY
DavidThaKing
all im saying is at the end of the movie when Resto went to Panama and said that he did that to gloves and he wrapped his hands Panama said i said i didnt wrap his hands i didnt even put on his gloves i did none of those things and i beleave him because Luis couldnt even look Panama in the eye because he knew he was lying Panama took off shades and looked serious and said if Artie was alive i i wouldnt be in this mess today and i think the guy who wrapped Resto hands and took the padding out the glove was Artie Curly but he died before the trial i think Panama knew it was going on but Panama a OG so he aint gonna snitch on nobody

also i dont blame them for Blly Collins death that guy had his own problems it wasnt like he couldn't fight they offered him fights but he wanted to sue that was his fault then when that shit didn't work he went crazy his wife left him his friends didnt want to hang out with him i mean he was going through some things he was always drunk then he drove off a cliff so no disrespect but Billy Collins killed himself

i feel like Panama Lewis is a good trainner and has paid his debt i dont think its right that he can't do what he loves to do because of one mistake some people make mistakes, off fucked up circumstance but I thought this was America, what happened to a second chance

JLUVBABY
i want to make this clear guys.. im not asking for panama to be reinstated.. that was sarcasm... my point is that marg. and shane and other fighters have been caught up in similar situations and got a slap on the wrist (not as bad situatuions but the intent was there)... all those guys should get the same judgment in my mind.. there cant be a double standard....no matter how small you think the crime is... if it can bring bodily harm or brings bodily harm to a fighter it should be dealt with the same....
iron_mike
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 3 2009, 11:44 AM) *
i want to make this clear guys.. im not asking for panama to be reinstated.. that was sarcasm... my point is that marg. and shane and other fighters have been caught up in similar situations and got a slap on the wrist (not as bad situatuions but the intent was there)... all those guys should get the same judgment in my mind.. there cant be a double standard....no matter how small you think the crime is... if it can bring bodily harm or brings bodily harm to a fighter it should be dealt with the same....

Maybe Marg and Capetillo, but Shane with the BALCO, that is nowhere near the same as loading, taking padding out of the gloves to hit with basically concrete or bare knuckle punches...Capetillo should be banned for life, and Marg as well, tho he claims he didnt know what was on his gloves. I never laced up a pair of gloves and stepped in the ring, but all the interviews with ppl who have-pro or not, said NO WAY a fighter doesn't know what's being wrapped/put on his gloves. So Marg and trainer should get the same banned for life. Why should Panama get a 2nd chance?? Seems like would be a third or 4th chance. The guy is proven slime/scum/cheat, why give him another chance? To pull more illegal stuff to give his fighter an edge? Boxing doesn't need more scum, there's plenty currently to go around
oozemcbuck
both luis and panama are fucking scumbags... you know why i think luis did this flick ??? for the extra cash and the free travel, that's it.... he STILL denied everything, now, all of a sudden, towards the end he wants to come completely clean ?? after years of drug abuse, you still remember these details ?? (the guys going in the bathroom, the pill inside the water). he even said"why didn't i stop the fight"? i do think panama manipulated him, cuz u can see it even now. panama reminds me of a pimp. i agree with whoever said HBO used resto, but resto sold himself to HBO. he KNEW he was hitting collins with a cast, and he tried to "destroy him". i think panama threatened resto's life, and resto was fearful for his life. but he only came clean when there was some $$ for him...

and panama was a pro at cheating. the clip at the pryor fight was all the proof you need. he only got caught once, and how many fights did he work ???

they were in it together. the look on luis' face when billy sr caught him ??? it was like "shit, we got bagged!". and panama, "that's the gloves they gave us"... fucking disgusting...

i'm watching it right now, and luis just told his mother and sister that he knew he was cheating.... (HBO slips another few bucks into luis' pockets) ...
MarzB
I can't believe I'm going to defend Shane Mosley here but here goes. First off, Shane is not the first boxer to have juiced or used steroids. A certain jelly belly skilled boxer that has always had weight issues his entire career comes to mind. Along with another dude from Oxnard, CA. Those guys are the high profile guys as there have been others. Damn wait a minute, how could I forget also Roy Jones Jr..

Note when the bulk of these guys were juicing or should I say caught (Ruiz fight for Toney, Dela fight for Vargas and Mosley although he never tested positive) it wasn't like it had great effect. Mosley as he went up in weight because a very stiff/one shot at time fighter. No need to comment on Toney's lethargic performance against Ruiz (the right hand counters won for him) and last Vargas who got muscle weary in the Dela Hoya fight. My point is this, people who love to throw up tha Mosley is cheater (and this includes Floyd also) and compare what he did to Margarito's plaster are just fishing.

If there is a comparison then when does it end. Taking Deuritics are also illegal and fighters have done that to make weight are they on the same scale of cheating? Yes juicing is a form of cheating but in NO WAY comparable IMO to loading your hands up and god forbid removing padding from gloves.

The problem with Panama is if this were a first time so be it. But he's been involved in cheating "allegedly" other times. In additon he's tried to deceive and not once admitted his involvement. As far as Resto and the free travel. It's not like he was staying in luxurious accomodations come on. I'm not saying he's not a bad guy in this but atleast he's owned up to his involvement in it(albeit after having it be proven in his face from those recorded conversations).
oozemcbuck

motel 6 would've been like the hilton to resto. but, i agree, for whatever reason, whether a lil money influenced him, even though he had to get caught lying, he finally did let that monkey off his back. he did what a man should do and face whatever it is u need to face. he faced HIS family, he faced collins' family, and most important, he faced HIMSELF. that wasn't easy, but i don't think he should be accepted in boxing. cuz u know dam well that if they would've gotten away, they were gonna keep pulling that shit. (i wonder what the line was for resto/collins)
oozemcbuck
and whats up wit that pic of the 96 olympic team ??? looks like they're standing in shitty water...
BGv2.0
People keep pointing to the recent Margareto incident.....keep in mind that is only an example of just how SHITTY and SHADEY and GREEDY this sport has become. In 1983 it at least had a minimum of shame and outrage to do what was right by banning Lewis and Resto.

I have sworn to not buy ANYTHING related to Margareto...no PPV's....AND...I'm not so sure that I would not consider letting HBO go should they agree to broadcast another of his fights in the future.

If the system is broken and corrupt (and as we can see it is).....it is up to US...the fans to insure that the guilty parties pay or that the industry realizes that they will not generate the $ they once did and that future instances of cheating on that level will result in a fan backlash.

I KNOW I'm in the minority on this and in the end....I won't make a difference...BUT....my conscience will be clean.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Aug 3 2009, 10:50 AM) *
Maybe Marg and Capetillo, but Shane with the BALCO, that is nowhere near the same as loading, taking padding out of the gloves to hit with basically concrete or bare knuckle punches...Capetillo should be banned for life, and Marg as well, tho he claims he didnt know what was on his gloves. I never laced up a pair of gloves and stepped in the ring, but all the interviews with ppl who have-pro or not, said NO WAY a fighter doesn't know what's being wrapped/put on his gloves. So Marg and trainer should get the same banned for life. Why should Panama get a 2nd chance?? Seems like would be a third or 4th chance. The guy is proven slime/scum/cheat, why give him another chance? To pull more illegal stuff to give his fighter an edge? Boxing doesn't need more scum, there's plenty currently to go around

i might be in the minority here but i feel that if the intent is there it should be treated the same... lets look back at the marg. shane fight... most so called experts didnt give shane a chance in that fight after his fight against mayorga where he was very very close to losing a decision.. lets say shane was shot and marg. was the animal we thought he was.. shane would have gotten butchered that night had the gloves not been caught... its the same scenario only on a lesser scale because it was caught... my point is that if you blackball panama and resto lets blackball everyone that decides to pull something so sinister.. it only seems less of an offense because it was caught number one by shanes corner and number 2 shane had the style to barely get touched that night had it not been caught... but lets say shane was done in that fight and takes a similar beating... that would have been a major very major black eye for the sport had shane got hurt and the same scenario taken place...

on to shane and his balco situation... doping is cheating as well... cheating is cheating no matter how you look at it... these guys get paid more money than most if not all on this board will ever see to have to resort to such antics win or lose... he barely got a slap on the wrist for that... again i know i am in the minority on this but if you gonna lay down the law lay it down on all that aply not the little guys but the top guns too... or is it that those with the top dollar can get away with things or buy themselves out of situations that lesser fighters cant?.. thats what it kinda looks like...
MarzB
QUOTE (oozemcbuck @ Aug 3 2009, 11:30 AM) *
and whats up wit that pic of the 96 olympic team ??? looks like they're standing in shitty water...

LOL, thats hilarious!! I just like the pic because it's not entirely true. Zab didn't make the team(David Diaz beat him) and those guys like the '84 team seemed to have a genuine camaraderie that you don't see much anymore.

Good post BG, I respect your decision no doubt.

motel 6 would've been like the hilton to resto.

I'm sorry to make this into a personal tangent but the above comment is hilarious. I was in Dallas two weeks and my fight was delayed coming back so the airline offered me a room. It was a Motel 6 and you want to talk about the worse room I've EVER been in in my life. I took a picture of it. Look a this shit (see below). Look at whats holding up the bed, a friggin table,lol. Yes, thats a HARD floor, screw carpet,lol. They had the nerve to have a flat screen tv there however,lol. But your right as 'shitty' as these accomodations were, I guess to Resto it was fine living,lol

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (MarzB @ Aug 3 2009, 12:35 PM) *
LOL, thats hilarious!! I just like the pic because it's not entirely true. Zab didn't make the team(David Diaz beat him) and those guys like the '84 team seemed to have a genuine camaraderie that you don't see much anymore.

Good post BG, I respect your decision no doubt.

motel 6 would've been like the hilton to resto.

I'm sorry to make this into a personal tangent but the above comment is hilarious. I was in Dallas two weeks and my fight was delayed coming back so the airline offered me a room. It was a Motel 6 and you want to talk about the worse room I've EVER been in in my life. I took a picture of it. Look a this shit (see below). Look at whats holding up the bed, a friggin table,lol. Yes, thats a HARD floor, screw carpet,lol. They had the nerve to have a flat screen tv there however,lol. But your right as 'shitty' as these accomodations were, I guess to Resto it was fine living,lol

wow!!!...lol!!!... thats a shame...

Method
Marz, I am in Miami Beach, but I did not recognize that gym.

It definitely did NOT look like Warriors Gym to me, and I don't recognize it as any gym in Miami that I have seen (def NOT South FL Boxing Gym, Fight Club, 71st St, etc., but admittedly I haven't seen them all.
Spyder
That gym is in Ft Lauderdale. The other fighter in the gym working with Panama Lewis was Daniel Edouard...he lives in West Palm Beach.
Fadetwist
Just watched the documentary, this guy is an ass!!
He kept denying everything!! maybe if he showed a bit of remorse i would say yes. This guy is a cold calculating bastard.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (MarzB @ Aug 3 2009, 03:16 PM) *
I don't want to deviate but I'm sooo glad Pryor beat Arguello again because I now believe there was that antihistamine that Resto says in Pryor's bottle also.

I think Pryor would have beaten Arguello anyway but maybe that "stuff I mixed" made a difference & affected Arguello long term. You don't recover 100% from the beating he took those last few rounds. Whatever way you cut it it is another tainted fight by this POS.

QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 3 2009, 03:43 PM) *
Panama a OG so he aint gonna snitch on nobody

i feel like Panama Lewis is a good trainner and has paid his debt i dont think its right that he can't do what he loves to do because of one mistake some people make mistakes, off fucked up circumstance but I thought this was America, what happened to a second chance

Jesus Christ I can't believe anyone would think like this he is a OG. As far as I am concerned he tried to kill Collins. A boxers fist is a lethal weapon & removing or having the stuffing removed from a glove is attempted murder IMO.

Panama is a low dog & should be kicked to death.

Method
That gym is in Ft Lauderdale.

I know the gym is on Lauderdale...just don't know the gym. I only have been to Warriors, and to Juan Carlos Gomez's spot, and that wasnt either of them.
King Eugene
First of all I cant trust a man with 30 pounds of jewelry on. I never seen how the A Team could work with Mr. T. laugh.gif

Seriously though neither one of them should be able to get licensed again if you ask me. They both knew what the hell they was doing. Look at Resto's reaction with Sr. touched his gloves. Immediately he turned around looking for somebody to come talk for him and come help him. He could have killed that dude in the ring. Yea he's sorry now, and only admitted the truth because he was confronted with the transcripts but at the end of the day you cant take that back. He kept saying he wanted to be a world champion...but damnit its not so sweet if you have to cheat. I wish him luck on getting his trainers licenses but if it was up to me he wouldn't get shit. Why cant he do like Panama and just train in the gym, get paid and not go to the arena?

As far as Panaman is concerned...thats one cold dude. A slick talker, a manipulator, say what he needs to get what he wants. He took advantage of Resto but Resto was too weak to either realize it or not do anything about. You can tell, look at how he was talking to him. This is a fucking grown man, fifty fucking two years old, and he is crying like a damn 9 year old that just got scolded by his little league football coach for missing the damn game winning tackle. Its ridiculous!!! Panama talked to this dude talking bout when I get straight, I'm going to look out for you...I want to see a follow up documentary on this one!

This shit is crazy!

On a side not...Collins Jr. had one hell of a chin and he sure as hell wasn't getting hit by no damn pitty pat punches!
Kijis Konar
Well... no. Dude is an irresponsible crook. A P.O.S. the sport doesn't need.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 2 2009, 12:29 PM) *
You are fucking crazy if you even think he deserves to be back in boxing, especially after watching Assault in the Ring. He is the biggest piece of shit in boxing. The dude couldn't even be give Resto a honest answer after all these years. He is just a plain and simple scumbag. Lewis was banned from boxing for life and to me that still isn't long enough. Fuck all cheaters, especially Lewis, Margarito, Capatillo and Resto. I actually kind of feel bad for Resto, Panama lewis took advantage of Resto's vulnerability and it showed in the documentary. Fuck that scumbag Panama Lewis

Cosign!

Fuck Panama Lewis! What a repulsive piece of shit! I'd like to see someone beat on him for 10 rounds with Pad less gloves. After watching "Assault in the Ring." I think Panama Lewis and Margarito's trainer Javier Capetillo, for his actions with the gloves in the Mosley-Margarito fight should both be in jail. I always disliked Panama Lewis, but with this new evidence from this documentary I have seething hatred for this beast. I cannot even call him a "man."

Jack
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 2 2009, 12:29 PM) *
You are fucking crazy if you even think he deserves to be back in boxing, especially after watching Assault in the Ring. He is the biggest piece of shit in boxing. The dude couldnt even be give Resto a honest answer after all these years. He is just a plain and simple scumbag. Lewis was banned from boxing for life and to me that still isnt long enough. Fuck all cheaters, especially Lewis, Margarito, Capatillo and Resto. I actually kind of feel bad for Resto, Panama lewis took advantage of Resto's vulnerability and it showed in the documentary. Fuck that scumbag Panama Lewis

QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Aug 2 2009, 10:27 PM) *
In all honesty, how I feel about this is pretty clear.

I'm in the minority but I'd allow Resto to have a license again. What happened was wrong. What he's had to deal with mentally and emotionally has been pure torture. I absolutely think he was manipulated by Panama Lewis, a man who used his position as a father figure to take advantage of Resto in a way that is so disgusting that words don't do it justice. We're a country of second chances, but only when a chance is truly merited. Resto didn't just pay for what happened for 2 1/2 years in jail, he pays for it every day. He has since 1983. As a trainer, he wouldn't be pulling padding out of gloves or mixing odd substances in water bottles. He'd just work like crazy to do his absolute best to earn a living, to do it honestly, to do it well, and to finally find the redemption that has escaped him for almost 30 years. If I had a fighter, I may not let Luis be the sole, lead guy, but I'd let him work in the camp, work the corner, and be involved with my fighter's career. I don't know if anyone would work harder at this point because no one else would have their heart in it more.

On the other hand, Panama Lewis got less than what he deserved. His manipulation and destruction of Resto just multiples the atrocity of what happened to Billy Collins, the Collins family, and the scar that it left on the sport. This man managed to destroy several lives, and lead to the taking of one life in particular. Forget the license, forget his unofficial work with fighters in training camps. He shouldn't be allowed to watch Friday Night Fights, much less work with a fighter. It's a shame because Panama Lewis is an incredibly gifted trainer. He was a master of his craft. He also destroyed himself and others for reasons that only he knows. Failure isn't enough for him. It's not truly just. I'm not entirely sure what would be a sufficient fate for Lewis, but the fact that he gets calls and works with fighters in a gym is enough to make me sick.

You both said exactly what I think. Lewis is a piece of shit. You could clearly see him manipulate Resto right there. Obviously Resto is not that educated and Lewis takes advantage of him. Both deserved what they got, but at least Resto came clean and finally admitted his guilt. Lewis is still lying his ass off about the whole thing. He says he took the gloves into the bathroom to take a piss, yeah right. Lewis says when he gets a good fighter and starts making money again he is going to take care of Resto. By the looks of all the gold and jewelry he was wearing he looks to be alright to me.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Boxingjunkie @ Aug 4 2009, 05:49 AM) *
By the looks of all the gold and jewelry he was wearing he looks to be alright to me.

Hopefully someone happens to jack him one night & take his gold. If they are good crooks they won't leave him as a witness & give him a .45 hole behind his ear.
Jack 1000
I agree with all the shit that Panama Lewis is,

After seeing this documentary and all this new evidence, I cannot understand why a fighter would want ANY association with him. He belongs in jail for all the lives he destroyed and the people he hurt. The damage that he did to boxing and boxers, how do you repair that?

Than you got scum like Zab Judah. (Lewis trained him for Cotto.) You know the nice dude that threw a tantrum and a chair at Nady for his stopping Zab from getting comatose in the Tszyu fight. Seriously, you all know the hate that I have for Floyd Mayweather as a person, well, Holy shit! I'd almost have to be a Mayweather fan to measure the hate that I have for Panama Lewis now. What I want to know is:

1.) Why wasn't a damn thing done by the Florida State Athletic Commission or the WBA concerning Lewis' "Water Bottle" incident in Prior-Arguello I? In light of this documentary, I hope that Panama Lewis suffers even more. He is total undisputed human shit.

2.) Could there be further charges or investigations brought against Lewis or his fighters in light of this documentary?

This is really sad and disgusting. I agree, Panama Lewis should not allowed to be out on the streets after the hurt he caused to so many. He should not even be allowed to enter a building where any athletes train. He should not even be allowed to watch boxing anymore.

Jack
Jack 1000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 4 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Hopefully someone happens to jack him one night & take his gold. If they are good crooks they won't leave him as a witness & give him a .45 hole behind his ear.

That's what that one fighter Tim "Doc" Anderson did. He shot his promoter Rick Parker for making him participate in fixed fights and for tainting his water during one of his matches. Unfortunately, Anderson was convicted of murder and is now serving a life sentence.

Jack
STEVENSKI
It concerns me that Lewis was able to get away with "the bottle I mixed" in the Arguello fight. From memory the fight was fairly close going into the 14th & whoever won the next two rounds would have won the fight probably.

I would not blame Pryor but it is hughly suspect that he came out so strong after drinking the mystery water, fought with renewed vigour & scored a brutal brutal knockout.
rusty_trombone
No
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.