Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Mosley 10 Years In The Making
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
DavidThaKing
By Ismael AbduSalaam: Welterweight champion Shane Mosley pulled no punches calling out long-time rival Floyd Mayweather. Sugar Shane bluntly accused Mayweather of ducking him and challenged him to a megafight.

Mayweather was obviously not amused, and responded in kind.

"Since Shane is running his mouth and trying to be disrespectful, he just moved down the hit list," Mayweather retorted. "One thing I promise my fans, they're all going to get it one by one.”

What many people may not know is that Mosley and Mayweather have been waging a war of words and callouts for over 10 years. In 1998, a young Floyd Mayweather tried to secure a fight with Mosley, who was then an undefeated champion and knockout artist at lightweight. Perhaps wanting the fight to build up, Mosley turned down the still relatively unknown Mayweather.

In 2000, Mayweather again tried calling out Shane. But Mosley had a bigger, multi-million dollar fish to fry in Oscar De La Hoya. In his signature fight, Mosley jumped 2 weight classes to welterweight and beat the Golden Boy in a classic performance.

On the other hand, Mayweather slowly built his name up from 2001-2005, most notably with wins over the late Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo (2X). In January ’05, Mayweather again called out Mosley, who was rumored to be returning to welterweight after decisive decision losses to Winky Wright.

Nothing ever materialized, as Mosley only had 2 fights in 2005 against lower-level competition, in part to readjust himself to welterweight after years away.

But in 2006, Mosley jumped back to 154 for two lucrative fights against Fernando Vargas. The entertaining scraps resulted in back to back knockouts for Mosley. At this time, both men had their best chance to date to face each other, as Mayweather had several possible PPV dates in 2006.

Unfortunately, Mosley cited a commitment to his family to take a vacation as a reason not to face Mayweather. Additionally, he likely had to the foresight to see his recent weight-jumping could be his undoing against Floyd. He reiterated his stance later in the year after easily KO’ing Vargas in their July 2006 rematch.

So here we are in 2009, with both men well into their 30s. What could possibly prevent this fight from happening now?

Manny Pacquiao.

It’s no secret that Mayweather’s September bout with Juan Manuel Marquez is setup for a blockbuster, record-breaking showdown with Pacquiao. With that fight potentially on the table, Mosley will remain out in the cold.

But if Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum (Top Rank) plays hardball at the negotiation table, we could possibly see Mayweather-Mosley before the year is out.

Floyd can equally turn to Mosley, also promoted by Golden Boy, to make an in-house megafight. The two winners could then face off by 2010.

Confused?

Such is life in the world of boxing. Preferably, I’d like to see Mayweather-Pacquiao while both guys are red hot (assuming Mayweather handles business next month). In the meantime, Mosley has the option of a fan-friendly barn burner with young gun Andre Berto

Whatever happens, as long as these talented fighters face off, boxing fans win.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (DavidThaKing @ Aug 3 2009, 12:29 PM) *
By Ismael AbduSalaam: Welterweight champion Shane Mosley pulled no punches calling out long-time rival Floyd Mayweather. Sugar Shane bluntly accused Mayweather of ducking him and challenged him to a megafight.

Mayweather was obviously not amused, and responded in kind.

"Since Shane is running his mouth and trying to be disrespectful, he just moved down the hit list," Mayweather retorted. "One thing I promise my fans, they're all going to get it one by one.”

What many people may not know is that Mosley and Mayweather have been waging a war of words and callouts for over 10 years. In 1998, a young Floyd Mayweather tried to secure a fight with Mosley, who was then an undefeated champion and knockout artist at lightweight. Perhaps wanting the fight to build up, Mosley turned down the still relatively unknown Mayweather.

In 2000, Mayweather again tried calling out Shane. But Mosley had a bigger, multi-million dollar fish to fry in Oscar De La Hoya. In his signature fight, Mosley jumped 2 weight classes to welterweight and beat the Golden Boy in a classic performance.

On the other hand, Mayweather slowly built his name up from 2001-2005, most notably with wins over the late Diego Corrales and Jose Luis Castillo (2X). In January ’05, Mayweather again called out Mosley, who was rumored to be returning to welterweight after decisive decision losses to Winky Wright.

Nothing ever materialized, as Mosley only had 2 fights in 2005 against lower-level competition, in part to readjust himself to welterweight after years away.

But in 2006, Mosley jumped back to 154 for two lucrative fights against Fernando Vargas. The entertaining scraps resulted in back to back knockouts for Mosley. At this time, both men had their best chance to date to face each other, as Mayweather had several possible PPV dates in 2006.

Unfortunately, Mosley cited a commitment to his family to take a vacation as a reason not to face Mayweather. Additionally, he likely had to the foresight to see his recent weight-jumping could be his undoing against Floyd. He reiterated his stance later in the year after easily KO’ing Vargas in their July 2006 rematch.

So here we are in 2009, with both men well into their 30s. What could possibly prevent this fight from happening now?

Manny Pacquiao.

It’s no secret that Mayweather’s September bout with Juan Manuel Marquez is setup for a blockbuster, record-breaking showdown with Pacquiao. With that fight potentially on the table, Mosley will remain out in the cold.

But if Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum (Top Rank) plays hardball at the negotiation table, we could possibly see Mayweather-Mosley before the year is out.

Floyd can equally turn to Mosley, also promoted by Golden Boy, to make an in-house megafight. The two winners could then face off by 2010.

Confused?

Such is life in the world of boxing. Preferably, I’d like to see Mayweather-Pacquiao while both guys are red hot (assuming Mayweather handles business next month). In the meantime, Mosley has the option of a fan-friendly barn burner with young gun Andre Berto

Whatever happens, as long as these talented fighters face off, boxing fans win.

better late than never i suppose but i sure wanted to see them at lightweight... that would have been a great fight...
leonthegee
mosleys next i think.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of these fighters and their promoters blatantly ducking competent fighters because they are afraid of losing. What's the big fear there? I know, I know, no fighter wants to lose but then again, if you are fighitng a guy who can't beat you then where's the challenge? Because remember, that for as much talk about boxers being buisiness men and having to make a living, most of them are in boxing because they like the competition. So if they are avoiding a fighter for fear of losing then they are not REAL fighters.

I've mentioned this before but most of these guys who are at the top, guys like Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao, Dawson all of them can afford to lose. Even with a loss they can rebound to the position in which they were before. There seems to be abelief in boxing that a loss sends you to hell. Not true. Look at the guys who fight the best, lose and are able to comeback to the top. Darchynian fights anyone and everyone and even after his loss to Agbeko you'll see him back in the top mix. Hell, he's still in the top mix lol. See even I was starting to think with the "Loss is a disaster" mentality. He lost to Donaire by KO but was still able to come back because he fought the top guys without hesitating. Mosley has lost 5 times now and even for a while was considered shot but because he'll fight darn near everyone he sees he is able to remain on top of the rankings.

Another example is Miguel Cotto. He fights the guys no one wants to and intelligent fans recognise that.

D-MARV
I agree that fighting to retain you're "0" is stupid. But in the case of Floyd-Mosley, I really see no big deal in Floyd making Mosley wait. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Floyd step in with Mosley and would love anymore to see Mosley knock his block off but Floyd has made numerous attempts to secure a Fight with Shane and all those attempts were shot down. Now that the tables are turned, I see no problem with Floyd fighting JMM then fighting the Pacquiao-Cotto winner (which I'm almost 100% sure he will fight next). It is what it is. Mosley has other options where he can make a few bucks. there's Berto which I think makes the most since, then there's Williams, Cintron, or even Clottey (I don't like this one for Mosley though). I would give him a pass to fight that new champ! what's his name? Issac H?
provo
I would love 2 see them fight But I totally understand where floyd is coming from,He's been after shane for so long and now all of a sudden shane Needs Floyd .
Before this shane never said shit about floyd ,floyd would talk hella shit 2 him during press conference ! Now all of sudden shanes got a mouth , its because he grews balls after his wife left him ! LOL...
Mayweather vs mosley will happen 2010. Floyd is going 2 kick his ass ....
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 3 2009, 01:28 PM) *
I agree that fighting to retain you're "0" is stupid. But in the case of Floyd-Mosley, I really see no big deal in Floyd making Mosley wait. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Floyd step in with Mosley and would love anymore to see Mosley knock his block off but Floyd has made numerous attempts to secure a Fight with Shane and all those attempts were shot down. Now that the tables are turned, I see no problem with Floyd fighting JMM then fighting the Pacquiao-Cotto winner (which I'm almost 100% sure he will fight next). It is what it is. Mosley has other options where he can make a few bucks. there's Berto which I think makes the most since, then there's Williams, Cintron, or even Clottey (I don't like this one for Mosley though). I would give him a pass to fight that new champ! what's his name? Issac H?

Mayweather fighting JMM is a waste of time.

I was also thinking about Gary Shaw's comments after the Bradley-Cambell fight when asked about a rematch. 1st he said "If the money is right. He's the champ, he should get more." then he said "If the Alphabet body has another guy lined up..." So what if the mandatory pays less than a Campbell fight Shaw? You still go with the mandatory or with the money?
D-MARV
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 3 2009, 02:50 PM) *
Mayweather fighting JMM is a waste of time.

I was also thinking about Gary Shaw's comments after the Bradley-Cambell fight when asked about a rematch. 1st he said "If the money is right. He's the champ, he should get more." then he said "If the Alphabet body has another guy lined up..." So what if the mandatory pays less than a Campbell fight Shaw? You still go with the mandatory or with the money?

Mayweather-JMM is not a waste of time. That fight makes plenty of sense. everybody knows that Floyd's primary reason for his return is Manny Pacquiao. Why not come back against a guy who arguably beat Pacquiao 2 times. That adds drama for the "SuperFight"

Come Sept 19, you guys will witness a good, classy, COMPETITIVE fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 3 2009, 01:57 PM) *
Mayweather-JMM is not a waste of time. That fight makes plenty of sense. everybody knows that Floyd's primary reason for his return is Manny Pacquiao. Why not come back against a guy who arguably beat Pacquiao 2 times. That adds drama for the "SuperFight"

Come Sept 19, you guys will witness a good, classy, COMPETITIVE fight.

Yeah it makes sense for Mayweather because he will be fighting a smaller, slower, older fighter with a big name.
Keith
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 3 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Yeah it makes sense for Mayweather because he will be fighting a smaller, slower, older fighter with a big name.

Great Quote. I might have to use that in a sig.

At this point PBF isnt even on my mind as an opponent for Mosley. PBF can make him wait all he wants because I feel the longer he waits... the worse the beating he will get. I think in PBF's mind he is going to try and wait Shane out until he's old and crusty so he can get the drop on him. Wont happen. Mosley is not going to fall off the wagon and will fight very well for years to come. The longer he makes Shane wait, the more disrespected he will feel, and he fights better with a chip on his shoulder. I believe his physical strength and chin will allow Shane to "sellout" against Floyd the way no other fighter has.
leonthegee
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 3 2009, 01:31 PM) *
Great Quote. I might have to use that in a sig.

At this point PBF isnt even on my mind as an opponent for Mosley. PBF can make him wait all he wants because I feel the longer he waits... the worse the beating he will get. I think in PBF's mind he is going to try and wait Shane out until he's old and crusty so he can get the drop on him. Wont happen. Mosley is not going to fall off the wagon and will fight very well for years to come. The longer he makes Shane wait, the more disrespected he will feel, and he fights better with a chip on his shoulder. I believe his physical strength and chin will allow Shane to "sellout" against Floyd the way no other fighter has.

when has shane ever sold out in a fight b4? hes afraid of getting hit thats always been his problem. he gave away half of the rounds against cotto. no way should cotto outbox a fighter with the skills of shane but thats what happens when u spend half of the fight hiding on the other side of the ring. shanes punches are too wide and loopy. floyd could win that fight easily on the inside if he wants. or on the outside it doesnt matter. shane hasnt beat an elite fighter in forever. vargas, mayorga, and margarito dont count. none of those clowns are in floyds league.
kingknockout
im glad this was posted because alot of Mofos tried to act like floyd was ducking mosley.....when floyd has been callin mosley out FOR YEARS.....people hear the gun shot all the time...but no one see's the slap.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Aug 3 2009, 05:30 PM) *
im glad this was posted because alot of Mofos tried to act like floyd was ducking mosley.....when floyd has been callin mosley out FOR YEARS.....people hear the gun shot all the time...but no one see's the slap.

So Mosley shouldn't have gone after a bigger, stronger fighter who was in his prime, in the p4p list and fight him for millions of dollars?
Waybetter
no....Marquez is a Beast...Got to quote Mayweather.."You Dont No nothing about boxing"
He got most of the belts in lightweight..
and he fought...a young Diaz(IN PRIME)....Beat the S**t out of him...
And the lineral Champ in Caysamayor(BEAT THE BEST at lightweight)...and beat the S**t out of him
to me...he is Pound 4 Pound....even over Mayweather(because he retired)
and he fought better opponents than Pacquio...
when Pac went up to lightweight...he fought David Diaz(That should of lost to Morales annd rank #5 in the lightweight division at the time)...
Then fought oscar....Which he look funny against steve forbes
and then hatton...S**t!!!! Malinaggi would of beat him...if he used his right hand more...
Go back and watch these fights......Hatton v Malinaggi
Forbes v De la hoya
Diaz v Morales
Freddy Roach ant no Genius....
i picked Manny to win them fights to...
cuz anybody could see the weakness
Kijis Konar
Mosley's next big fight will be a rematch with Cotto. He'll fight Clottey and win a hard fought decision. Pacman will beat Cotto, and Pacman-Floyd will be done. Cotto-Mosley II then will be on the works.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 3 2009, 11:45 PM) *
So Mosley shouldn't have gone after a bigger, stronger fighter who was in his prime, in the p4p list and fight him for millions of dollars?

Exactly.
provo
Shane can not beat floyd ! Shane has been easily out boxed and mayweather is the best Boxer in the game ! Shane has no damn defense and throws wide floyds right would hit shane all night Floyd wins by UD!
And im not sure shane would beat clottey ! If clottey throws punches.. LoL
Shane is just someone who beat oscar that's all and the 2nd time he shouldn't have won! Other than that shane aint done shit but get his ass kicked and skooled ! Vargas,mayorga Ca Mon!
And don't bring Margarito ! Margarito was in no state of mind to fight that night especially right before that fight getting caught cheating!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 3 2009, 09:39 PM) *
Shane can not beat floyd ! Shane has been easily out boxed and mayweather is the best Boxer in the game ! Shane has no damn defense and throws wide floyds right would hit shane all night Floyd wins by UD!
And im not sure shane would beat clottey ! If clottey throws punches.. LoL
Shane is just someone who beat oscar that's all and the 2nd time he shouldn't have won! Other than that shane aint done shit but get his ass kicked and skooled ! Vargas,mayorga Ca Mon!
And don't bring Margarito ! Margarito was in no state of mind to fight that night especially right before that fight getting caught cheating!

i'd like to see mosley vs. clottey too.. i think that is a very solid matchup... you might be right about margarito not being in the right frame of mind.. he didnt know what he was gonna do without his plastered wraps...lol...
Big Slim Sweet
Lots of gullible folks on this board these days.

Lookie here. All of Floyd Mayweather's call-outs through the years have been nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Making sure Shane's name only comes out of his mouth when they're not in the same weight class, or when he knows a DLH fight is looming ahead for one of them to prevent anything from jumping off anyway. Now that they're finally in the same weight class and the fight still makes perfect sense, Floyd doesn't want it, plain and simple.

Floyd Mayweather can make more money fighting Shane Mosley in 2009 than he could have in 1999 or 2006. He can make more money fighting him now than at any other point in his whole career. But he doesn't want to fight him. He's not thinking about the past times Shane could have called him out but didn't. He's thinking about not wanting to get his little ass kicked and have his magical little 0 go poof.

Floyd Mayweather has never wanted to get in the ring with Sugar Shane Mosley, and that's the damn truth.
WolfishPromistah
“Yeah it makes sense for Mayweather because he will be fighting a smaller, slower, older fighter with a big name.”

Good! Now use that logic for Ricky Hatton, a guy whom Floyd wore down to knockout, thereby making it easier for Pac to then destroy him in two.

JMM’s the same “older fighter with a big name” who was older than the first time, still, when he arguably beat Pac in the second match as well. It wasn’t Floyd’s fault that, like a ghost, JMM’s so competitive against Pac. It’s JMM’s high skill level! – That constantly factors in, too, in addition to Floyd’s being gone for some time.

Furthermore, as far as not facing Shane, Floyd's already made his personal hit list known, which Mosely's name has shown up on. There is, however, a pattern that is preferable to follow in order to reach that ultimate goal. 'Can't see what we'd wanna rush Shane for anyway, Big slim. That man might have something wrong with his tooth/teeth. Oh, but he's already used that "excuse," hasn't he?
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (WolfishPromistah @ Aug 4 2009, 02:45 PM) *
“Yeah it makes sense for Mayweather because he will be fighting a smaller, slower, older fighter with a big name.”

Good! Now use that logic for Ricky Hatton, a guy whom Floyd wore down to knockout, thereby making it easier for Pac to then destroy him in two.

JMM’s the same “older fighter with a big name” who was older than the first time, still, when he arguably beat Pac in the second match as well. It wasn’t Floyd’s fault that, like a ghost, JMM’s so competitive against Pac. It’s JMM’s high skill level! – That constantly factors in, too, in addition to Floyd’s being gone for some time.

Furthermore, as far as not facing Shane, Floyd's already made his personal hit list known, which Mosely's name has shown up on. There is, however, a pattern that is preferable to follow in order to reach that ultimate goal. 'Can't see what we'd wanna rush Shane for anyway, Big slim. That man might have something wrong with his tooth/teeth. Oh, but he's already used that "excuse," hasn't he?

You're forgetting Marquez and Pacquiao were at the same weight. Mayweather has fought at up to 150 pounds while only 2 years ago Marquez was still a superfeatherweight. Marquez is smaller, older, slowe and arguably less skilled than Mayeather. That doesn't seem like much of a matchup for me or the the Mayweather fans, of course they have to pretend it is. They also have to bring Pacquiao into every discussion, for some weird reason.
The CEO
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 03:55 PM) *
You're forgetting Marquez and Pacquiao were at the same weight. Mayweather has fought at up to 150 pounds while only 2 years ago Marquez was still a superfeatherweight. Marquez is smaller, older, slowe and arguably less skilled than Mayeather. That doesn't seem like much of a matchup for me or the the Mayweather fans, of course they have to pretend it is. They also have to bring Pacquiao into every discussion, for some weird reason.

Stop lyin'....you're gonna watch May-Marq and LIKE it.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 4 2009, 03:03 PM) *
Stop lyin'....you're gonna watch May-Marq and LIKE it.

I guarantee you I will not watch the fight.
The CEO
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 04:07 PM) *
I guarantee you I will not watch the fight.

LOL!!

You will end up watching that fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 4 2009, 03:08 PM) *
LOL!!

You will end up watching that fight.

I'm locking myself up in the batroom and chaining myself to the toilet, like a man who will turn into a warewolf on a full moon.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (WolfishPromistah @ Aug 4 2009, 02:45 PM) *
'Can't see what we'd wanna rush Shane for anyway, Big slim. That man might have something wrong with his tooth/teeth. Oh, but he's already used that "excuse," hasn't he?

Weak.

Floyd fans know the tooth thing is/was bullshit but they still gotta dust it off everytime the little bitch's manhood is rightfully questioned.
Keith
QUOTE (Big Slim @ Aug 4 2009, 04:44 PM) *
Weak.

Floyd fans know the tooth thing is/was bullshit but they still gotta dust it off everytime the little bitch's manhood is rightfully questioned.

Floyd fans cling to this. They fail to remember the rest of what Shane said. He gave 3 reasons why he couldnt fight on 3 months notice:

1. I fought twice in less then 7 months and I need some time off
2. I need time to make the weight
3. I have to have dental surgery

Then Shane said he would fight him in the fall/winter if PBF was willing to wait. Predictably ... PBF moved on to a weaker fighter.
The CEO
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 04:11 PM) *
I'm locking myself up in the batroom and chaining myself to the toilet, like a man who will turn into a warewolf on a full moon.

laugh.gif....this is gonna be two of the very best, pure boxers goin' at it....I'm personally lookin' forward to it...I wanna see if Mayweather's lost a full step....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.