Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just wondering: What happens if JMM pulls it off?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Kijis Konar
You know, I've been one of those who thinks JMM is nothing but a tune up for Floyd- a credible tune up which will set up the big megafight against Cotto or Pacquiao (hopefully Pacman) or perhaps Mosley in Spring 2010. Now, what would happen if somehow JMM, a superb fighter and a man that can never be counted out of any fight, pulls it off, let it be because he just manages to do so or because Floyd is not the same fighter that left the sport 2 years ago. Apart of the 140 and 147 divisions getting badly shaken up... would we be seeing Pacman-Marquez III in Spring '10 at 140? Or perhaps Cotto-Marquez at 145? Or will Mosley benefit from this and get the winner of Cotto-Pacman in 2010?

What do you think would be the scenario if JMM beats Floyd? Thoughts?
Byrd Man
The internet message boards would implode! lol

I'm hoping Marquez pulls it off, for sure.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Aug 3 2009, 11:04 PM) *
The internet message boards would implode! lol

I'm hoping Marquez pulls it off, for sure.

If Mayweather gets KTFO, the HBO replay will be the highest rated in the network's history.
Kijis Konar
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Aug 3 2009, 11:06 PM) *
If Mayweather gets KTFO, the HBO replay will be the highest rated in the network's history.

Don't forget Tarver-Roy II.
Romulus9
QUOTE (Kijis Konar @ Aug 3 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Don't forget Tarver-Roy II.

This rebroadcast would own that replay.

I know all kinds of people who aren't even boxing fans that hate Mayweather, and would tune in to see the replay of him getting starched.

People who don't even follow the sport absolutely HATE the guy, and that's to say nothing of the millions of boxing fans who hate him.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Kijis Konar @ Aug 4 2009, 04:01 AM) *
What do you think would be the scenario if JMM beats Floyd? Thoughts?

I would OD on happieness & possibly have fluid leakage. It would be party time & I would look to get Mexican citizenship.
Romulus9
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 4 2009, 12:13 AM) *
I would OD on happieness & possibly have fluid leakage. It would be party time & I would look to get Mexican citizenship.

+1
D-MARV
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Aug 4 2009, 12:33 AM) *
There would be a new P4P king of the world!

All Time Great Post!

King Eugene
It aint happening!
leonthegee
floyd could train himself a still beat 3/4 of the fighters out there.
The Original MrFactor
If mayweather were to lose, then the winner of Cotto/Pac could fight JMM... OR there would be an immediate rematch between Floyd and JMM... Cotto/Pac could go on and fight Mosley at 142(lol!!)
DavidThaKing
thats a big IF

but its been said by Golden Boy that if JMM beats Mayweather then Ricky Hatton wants to come back to fight him because Hatton wants to come back with a big fight so either him or Pacquiao i don't see Marquez getting in the ring with Cotto

Keith
Assuming Sr. takes over as head trainer with Rogers new legal drama, Sr. and Jr. would never speak again if he lost.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 4 2009, 11:27 AM) *
Assuming Sr. takes over as head trainer with Rogers new legal drama, Sr. and Jr. would never speak again if he lost.

How could that scenario possibly be bad? Floyd loses & I would be making a special trip to Canberra to purchase the biggest fuck off fireworks I could find. Snr & Jnr never speak again & that is another win IMO.
Keith
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 4 2009, 07:54 AM) *
How could that scenario possibly be bad? Floyd loses & I would be making a special trip to Canberra to purchase the biggest fuck off fireworks I could find. Snr & Jnr never speak again & that is another win IMO.

laugh.gif Ya it probably is a win. I was just speculating that is what would happen, not that it was good or bad. But your right, it probably is good. What would be even better is if you could actually see it unfold in the corner during the fight. Priceless.

provo
Marquez aint winning shit ! Just cause roger is locked up don't mean shit! Floyd is going 2 destroy JMM! If he gets his dad in his corner I think it can be a good think will probably see a more offensive Floyd , sr loves throwing combos and hooks and uppercuts. Now if Not Floyd could be like fuk it No trainer ,kick JMM ass and after be like "looked I did something pac couldn't do and that was beat JMM and I did it without a trainer " LOL
That would make a argument for a 60 -40 split..LOL
JLUVBABY
marquez has zero to no chance in this fight... but he earned his shot and i just hope he doesnt get cut up too badly...
Fitz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 5 2009, 02:27 AM) *
marquez has zero to no chance in this fight... but he earned his shot and i just hope he doesnt get cut up too badly...

Agreed Jluv.
caneman
*I personally think it would be good for box if PBF did lose...especially stopped but I can't see it considering that IMO JMM was losing to Diaz @ the time of the KO! To the point he needed that KO in my eye! Even if many don't agree with me!
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 4 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Marquez aint winning shit ! Just cause roger is locked up don't mean shit! Floyd is going 2 destroy JMM! If he gets his dad in his corner I think it can be a good think will probably see a more offensive Floyd , sr loves throwing combos and hooks and uppercuts. Now if Not Floyd could be like fuk it No trainer ,kick JMM ass and after be like "looked I did something pac couldn't do and that was beat JMM and I did it without a trainer " LOL
That would make a argument for a 60 -40 split..LOL

If Mayweather beats up Marquez and tries to use that as leverage for a Pacquiao fight, Manny should leave the table and engage in whatever fight he wants while Mayweather will have to go around scavanging for a big fight. Now, if Mayweather was a lightweight and he beat up Marquez he could boast about it but here in reality land he's a 147 pound younger, faster, bigger and more skilled fighter than Marquez and therefore beating Marquez doesn't mean shit.
caneman
Wow comment sense can be spoken here! You go MMM! lolz!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 4 2009, 01:35 PM) *
laugh.gif Ya it probably is a win. I was just speculating that is what would happen, not that it was good or bad. But your right, it probably is good. What would be even better is if you could actually see it unfold in the corner during the fight. Priceless.

Seeing Snr leave the corner would be a classic.
provo
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 4 2009, 04:44 PM) *
*I personally think it would be good for box if PBF did lose...especially stopped but I can't see it considering that IMO JMM was losing to Diaz @ the time of the KO! To the point he needed that KO in my eye! Even if many don't agree with me!

I agree he was loosing that fight! Look what diaz did to him ! Marquez don't have great defense and mayweather has one of the best percentage in landing! I like JMM but Floyd is going to destroy JMM...
provo
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 04:46 PM) *
If Mayweather beats up Marquez and tries to use that as leverage for a Pacquiao fight, Manny should leave the table and engage in whatever fight he wants while Mayweather will have to go around scavanging for a big fight. Now, if Mayweather was a lightweight and he beat up Marquez he could boast about it but here in reality land he's a 147 pound younger, faster, bigger and more skilled fighter than Marquez and therefore beating Marquez doesn't mean shit.

Why? If that's what pac is doing he beat oscar worse than Mayweather right??, Mayweather is a bigger draw than pac ! Same oppenents they had mayweathers fights made more ! What's pac getting paid for cotto what 12 mill ? While floyd is getting 15 mill for JMM after a 2 year layoff????
Right ! So pac is a bigger draw huh???
LOve him or Hate him He is the Biggest draw in Boxing right now !
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 5 2009, 01:38 AM) *

That remains to be seen.

The next PPV fight for both guys will decide who is the bigger draw as this will be fights where they are both the A side.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 4 2009, 07:38 PM) *
Why? If that's what pac is doing he beat oscar worse than Mayweather right??, Mayweather is a bigger draw than pac ! Same oppenents they had mayweathers fights made more ! What's pac getting paid for cotto what 12 mill ? While floyd is getting 15 mill for JMM after a 2 year layoff????
Right ! So pac is a bigger draw huh???

That wasn't the point, you said that when Mayweather beats PMarquez he can boast that he did what Pacquiao couldn't do (which is wrong since Pacquiao did beat JMM) and use that as ammo for getting a 60-40 split on his side. Now of course you change course and try and come up with PPV buys and salary numbers.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 5 2009, 02:41 AM) *
That wasn't the point, you said that when Mayweather beats PMarquez he can boast that he did what Pacquiao couldn't do (which is wrong since Pacquiao did beat JMM) and use that as ammo for getting a 60-40 split on his side. Now of course you change course and try and come up with PPV buys and salary numbers.

You could also counter that Pac beat both their common opponents not only in far more dominant fashion (did he even lose a round?) but at their absolute best weight (regardless if DLH had not fought there in years 147 was Oscar's best weight class).
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 4 2009, 10:05 PM) *
You could also counter that Pac beat both their common opponents not only in far more dominant fashion (did he even lose a round?) but at their absolute best weight (regardless if DLH had not fought there in years 147 was Oscar's best weight class).

In hindsight the DLH victory is tainted by DLH's drastic weight loss but hey, whose fault is that?

The Hatton win was impressive, no one can deny that. While Mayweather had to run and hold for 7 rounds before finally opening up, Pacquiao brushed Hatton off in 2 rounds.
King Eugene
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 09:41 PM) *

I'm not sure but I think he meant that Mayweather could brag that he beat JMM with no trainer. Could be wrong though dntknw.gif
Mean Mister Mustard
He did say that it wouldd be an accomplishment to beat JMM, without having Roger in his corner but he also said that beating Marquez is something Pacquiao couldn't do (which is not true). He also makes no sense by saying that beating Marquez without Roger would give him an advantage during negotiations. Can you imagine Mayweather going "Hey listen Arum, sure Pacquiao is the star here but I too can draw big numbers. My edge however, is that I beat JMM with no trainer. Checkmate."

thehype
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 4 2009, 07:46 PM) *
Here in reality land he's a 147 pound younger, faster, bigger and more skilled fighter than Marquez and therefore beating Marquez doesn't mean shit.

But wouldn't he also be a faster, bigger and more skilled fighter than Pacquiao too?

dntknw.gif

In my opinion, if Mayweather stops Marquez, then it means he'll stop Pacquiao too.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
The CEO
You know what would be crazy?

If Marquez is somehow winning the fight by a few rounds going into the 12th...Mayweather needs a KO to win, and he goes for it and GETS it....lol

That would be awesome....but then again...I'm one of the few here that doesn't hate Mayweather.

D-MARV
A KO win over MArquez would be impressive. Marquez will be competitive either way you cut it. And if Floyd tries to go in and steam roll Marquez we will have a new P4P King. Two things people are underestimating: The 2 year lay off and Marquez's skills. The undercard is a bonus.
D-MARV
A KO win over MArquez would be impressive. Marquez will be competitive either way you cut it. And if Floyd tries to go in and steam roll Marquez we will have a new P4P King. Two things people are underestimating: The 2 year lay off and Marquez's skills. The undercard is a bonus.
Byrd Man
http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/08/things...r-marquez-bout/

With little over a month to go before the September 19th fight between Floyd “Money” Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez, the bout is attracting little attention and rarely discussed at all on the internet. It’s as if the fight isn’t even taking place, because there is barely a peep being mentioned about the fight. That’s not a good sign for Mayweather, because the bout will be pay-per-view and will be competing with the UFC 103 event, which takes place on the same night for a lot less money.

It seems Mayweather Jr. may have overestimated his worth based on his past fights against Ricky Hatton and Oscar De La Hoya. Back then, it was thought by some boxing fans that Mayweather was the reason why those fights ended up so successful. However, that may not be the case. If the little attention that the Marquez fight is any indication, it could be that Hatton and De La Hoya were the main reasons those fights turned out to be mega bouts, and not because of Mayweather.

Certainly, Mayweather wasn’t a huge draw before the De La Hoya fight in 2007. Back then, Mayweather’s fights against Zab Judah were respectable but not even close to being huge. It wasn’t until Mayweather was matched with De La Hoya and Hatton that Mayweather was able to be in a fight that brought in huge numbers.

Mayweather seemed to be on the way to building up a fan base with his fights against Hatton and De La Hoya, and probably he’d be a huge bonafide star by now if he had stuck around and not retired. However, the two year retirement set Mayweather back in a big way, taking away a lot of his fans and leading to Manny Pacquiao becoming a huge star.

Now, Mayweather is finding out the hard way that he’s going to have to start from scratch if he wants to win back the boxing fans that he lost. All the talking that Mayweather has one lately in the media won’t be enough on it’s own to bring in the fans, because it takes a little more than that to get the attention of boxing fans nowadays.

Fans have had a huge dose of bragging and trash talking by British heavyweight David Haye, who then did nothing to back up his words in the ring by backing out on two consecutive fights with the Klitschko brothers. It’s probably not possible for the Mayweather-Marquez fight to interest fans, because of Mayweather’s inactivity and the history of him being less than fan friendly in many of his fights.

With his hit and run style of fighting, Mayweather is the opposite of what many boxing fans are looking for when they lay down their hard earned money to watch a fight. The Marquez honestly shouldn’t even be a pay-per-view fight at this point.

Mayweather is coming out of a two year retirement, and will likely be rusty from inaction. To top it off, Mayweather has selected a fighter that fights two weight classes below him in lightweight Marquez. That makes Mayweather look like a cherry picking bully to many boxing fans. There’s no interest in seeing Mayweather fight someone two divisions below him.

Marquez may be a better fighter than Mayweather if the size disparity were removed, but the fact remains, Mayweather is the bigger fighter and will likely be able to win because of that alone. That isn’t the recipe that Mayweather should have been looking for in his comeback. He needed to fight a welterweight like Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley or someone like Paul Williams.
King Eugene
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 5 2009, 08:48 AM) *
You know what would be crazy?

If Marquez is somehow winning the fight by a few rounds going into the 12th...Mayweather needs a KO to win, and he goes for it and GETS it....lol

That would be awesome....but then again...I'm one of the few here that doesn't hate Mayweather.

Now that would be worth paying for! That would even make the Manny/Cotto vs. Floyd fight even bigger cause Floyd will look more beatable!

I hope Floyd come out Roy vs. Griffith II style! Thing is I dont want to pay for a damn one rounder.
D-MARV
I just spent the last week in Vegas and other than one little poster I saw in the MGM, there was no promotion for the fight.

I hope Floyd come out Roy vs. Griffith II style!

I hope so too... Juan Manuel Marquez would win.
King Eugene
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 10 2009, 08:46 PM) *
I hope so too... Juan Manuel Marquez would win.

Are you serious? I highly doubt it.

Say it aint so...am I seeing DMarv turning to an anti Floyd Fan?
D-MARV
LOL... I don't hate Floyd. He's a great fighter. I just like Juan Manuel Marquez more.
torvix2000
I'll buy this fight. The undercard's good!!!
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 11 2009, 12:33 AM) *
I hope Floyd come out Roy vs. Griffith II style! Thing is I dont want to pay for a damn one rounder.

Don't. Stream it or get it on a pirate broadcast or watch it in a pub. I know I will not pay one red cent into that cunts pockets.
King Eugene
Gotta support my boy!
AussieLad
If floyd lost, he would have no more reason to protect his spotless record. He could start taking some meaningful fights and hopefully rack up a few more losses, become depressed, turn to drugs, lose his fortune and wind up on the streets servicing other trash sexually in between intermittent bouts of recurring syphilis
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Aug 13 2009, 06:42 AM) *
If floyd lost, he would have no more reason to protect his spotless record. He could start taking some meaningful fights and hopefully rack up a few more losses, become depressed, turn to drugs, lose his fortune and wind up on the streets servicing other trash sexually in between intermittent bouts of recurring syphilis

Man you know that would be very cool. Some of his nuthuggers could get blowjobs from him for $20.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 11 2009, 01:27 PM) *
Don't. Stream it or get it on a pirate broadcast or watch it in a pub. I know I will not pay one red cent into that cunts pockets.

A fine plan, im not sure il be able to get it PPV even if i wanted to and bein a complete computer moron, i wouldnt know where to look for a stream. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated Steve/anyone else that knows of the dark art that is computers.

ps, homosexuality is not my bag, but for $20 i would damn sure force floyd to suck my cock whilst dangling his next bag of crack tantalisingly close to his face
Douchebag
I hate what Floyd does as much as the next guy, buy you guys take this shit to a whole new level.
D-MARV
The Floyd hatred is getting tired. You have two of the best fighters on the planet squaring off and a strong undercard to go along with it. I'll certainly be paying for this fight...

Juan is being seriously underrated here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.