Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik Vs Williams
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
D-MARV
The fight is all but done. HBO and Top Rank have finalized there offers so now we're waiting on the O.K from Team Williams. I have heard that Team Williams WILL accept.

I will definitely be there so if anyone else is going, let me know. You New York cats should be there. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Williams by Late Stoppage/Dominating UD. I think it will be exciting and both fighters will have there moments. At the end of the day Williams work rate and athletic ability will win it for him.
KookedKrack
**will be there**
caneman
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 5 2009, 07:50 PM) *
The fight is all but done. HBO and Top Rank have finalized there offers so now we're waiting on the O.K from Team Williams. I have heard that Team Williams WILL accept.

I will definitely be there so if anyone else is going, let me know. You New York cats should be there. I look forward to meeting you guys.

Williams by Late Stoppage/Dominating UD. I think it will be exciting and both fighters will have there moments. At the end of the day Williams work rate and athletic ability will win it for him.

I will be there too & I can not wait...this is a very interesting fight....talk about styles make fights?!?!?! OMG!
Waybetter
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 5 2009, 08:08 PM) *
I will be there too & I can not wait...this is a very interesting fight....talk about styles make fights?!?!?! OMG!

Yes....Cant Wait...This could be one of the best match ups of the year....
Palvik got power....
Williams just is a Terminator..
dont think he could drop williams...
and williams is going to throw alot of punches..
I think Williams is to much for kelly to handle...
Knock out....or UD for williams.....
Box in Hand
Williams by UD. Death by Killer Bee.
STEVENSKI
Pavlik by brutal life altering KO. His 1-2 will end Williams.

Damarv by suicide later that night.
caneman
Kelly's main problem is a plan "B" and beyond...look that might work against guys who keep falling for it but very hard against top guys with a balanced game....with that said, we know who beat Pwill pretty solidly is you really look @ it!!! I personally could not believe my eyes~ that's boxing for ya ehhhhh?
iron_mike
I can't see anyone beating Williams, especially stationary one dimensional Pavlik. It's like fighting 3 guys at once, those long octopus arms hitting from all angles all at once. I wish I had the 1st Quintana fight. I vaguely remember bits and pieces, Carlos being slick...was he darting in and out like Pac vs DLH?
Kijis Konar
Pavlik will stop Williams late.
provo
Pavlik wins late ! Paul will feel the power of pavlik,paul hasn't faced someone with punching power ..this isn't a welterweight ! Pavlik in 9 !
provo
Pavlik wins late ! Paul will feel the power of pavlik,paul hasn't faced someone with punching power ..this isn't a welterweight ! Pavlik in 9 !
JD
I definitely will be interested to see Williams reaction when Pavlik shoots that straight right over the southpaw jab as Williams gets a little comfortable within range.

I expect Williams to get hit, and I think he is going to be surprised when he does.
Box in Hand
Dig, Pavlik isn't a one punch KO fighter. He wears opponents down. He also has problems with slick fighting which is the blueprint Hopkins provided. If Williams can stay smart and not just bang with Pavlik, he should win on points. The only way Williams loses this is if he stands in front of Pavlik all night. Pavlik ain't Winky, he can crack. I expect Williams to use some slickness to win.
King Eugene
If Williams can take Pavliks shot and keep him unset all night, its going to be a long night for Pavlik. I'm sure the punches wont hurt him but they will be frustrating, like fighting Calzaghe. Williams by UD, I dont see him stopping Pavlik unless he sits down on his punches more but that'll give Pavlik more opportunities to shoot that 1-2
singletrack
I don't think Paul has the power to stop, or make Pavlik respect him. Pavlik, on the other hand, has great power. Paul also tends to square up and throw big combos - 4-6 punches. This is exactly what Pavlik wants. I see Pavlik stopping Williams, and it could easily be by devastating KO. Margarita gave Paul all he could handle and Kelly is a much larger man with significantly more power. Pavlik is a high volume puncher as well and, overall, has looked good save the ass whooping Bhop put on him and that stupid shit that almost got him KOed in the first Taylor fight. Paul is an intimidating and puzzling fighter at welter, but I don't think he has the power to be a factor with the top middleweights.
The Original MrFactor
Last year I said Williams should step up and fight Pavlik at 160. People damn near laughed me off the board. Williams will compete with Pavlik. the only question there is about Williams in this fight is, how does he handle a guy that is HIS size?? He's used to being the taller, longer man in there. Pavlik is a tall guy who can fight from a distance. Williams output may get significantly lowered if he's getting hit back with bombs. I'm betting on a Williams win, but not nearly as easy as his last few...
JonnyBlaze
Finally this fight is made..I was talkin shit about Pavlik for not taking this fight but he is maning up and ya gotta respect anyone who is fighting the guy everyone doesn't want to..Mad props for that..

MrFactor--there was a lot of talk about Pavlik and Williams last year..
D-MARV
I can't wait to see the odds for this one. I expect Pavlik to be at around +150. Easy Money! Bet on Williams.
Method

Two birds with one stone. That would be great!

I'm with Marv - I will probably lay money on whoever is the underdog that night, be it Pavlik OR Williams.

Not sure if I will be able to make it up there, as I have a pretty packed sched end of Sep/all through Oct, but we'll see.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 6 2009, 08:48 AM) *
That said, taking a shot from a middleweight could be different and he could get hurt, but so far, his chin has been solid.

Taking a punch on the chin from a proven big punching middleweight could be very different indeed. Pavlik is not a puncher like Wright or Margarito he is a legit bigtime banger at 160. If Williams can take the heat Pavlik will bring then big props to him.
Keith
Pavlik by early KO. I have read several times how Pavliks problem is he is too one dimensional and wont have plan b for PWill. He is one dimensional, but imo PWill is equally one dimensional. He is a great at what he does but I have never witnessed him alter his traditional gameplan. What happens when the guy he fights has equally long arms and more pop in his punch? Will PWill still stand and throw 5-6 punch combos? If he does then no question in my mind that KP lands 1-2's and sends the Punisher into bolivian.

I dont think PWill has ever been in the ring with someone of equal size. When welters were throwing at him, they were throwing their punches up at his chin and lost zip.... consequently, Pwill was throwing down and his punches gained some power. The result of this is PWills crafted workrate. Margs was the closest in size and he was able to get to PWill. KP is bigger, stronger, and more skilled then Margs. PWill is the fighter that NEEDS plan B, not Pavlik. PWills style is product of his size advantage in divisions that see few 6 footers and fighters who are unable to reach his chin with power. When he faces quality opponents of equal size, the less and less effective that style becomes... perhaps even a liability.
The CEO
Williams has a very good chin...from 154 down. Like Pacquiao with Cotto....Williams is biting off more than he can chew with Pavlik...

I'm telling you now....William's peanut head will NOT be able to withstand Pavlik's right hands...he's gonna have to stick and move all night long to win this one, and I don't see him doing that...
Keith
Here is a question for people supporting PWill in this fight....

Who is the biggest puncher PWill has faced?

Do a bit of soul searching on that one. I'm not sure who the answer is, but I know they arent even in the same ballpark as KP. Its going to be a shock for Williams.
streetlion1
Im not a real big fan of Kelly Pavlik but I think this will be the end of the of Paul "the hypetrain" Williams. P-Wills chin has remained untested for the most part and Pavlik is a puncher. he has fought shorter guys with shorter reaches and Kelly isnt. Pavlik has also shown a good jab in the past...as well as a good chin.

Williams may have his moments early...but he'll be on his back staring up at the lights at some point.
Sugar Q
Paul spars with heavy-wts and cruiser-wts so the size wont be the problem but can he take Pavlik's punch? That's the question. My hunch is he'll be ready and his output and speed will neutralize Pavlik's power. Give me Paul by late stoppage or unanimous decision.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 6 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Williams has a very good chin...from 154 down. Like Pacquiao with Cotto....Williams is biting off more than he can chew with Pavlik...

I'm telling you now....William's peanut head will NOT be able to withstand Pavlik's right hands...he's gonna have to stick and move all night long to win this one, and I don't see him doing that...

Are you willing to give me an opportunity at redemption?

I'll give you 1 month for 2 weeks. What do you say?
The CEO
QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Aug 6 2009, 12:56 PM) *
Are you willing to give me an opportunity at redemption?

I'll give you 1 month for 2 weeks. What do you say?

So you're sayin' if Williams wins, I serve 2 weeks....if Pavlik wins, you do a month...

You got it!
Al Hata

If this is a done deal, I'll be going to it.

Keith
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Aug 6 2009, 12:52 PM) *
Paul spars with heavy-wts and cruiser-wts so the size wont be the problem but can he take Pavlik's punch? That's the question. My hunch is he'll be ready and his output and speed will neutralize Pavlik's power. Give me Paul by late stoppage or unanimous decision.

So who are the hw's and cw's that he spars with? And just because he spars with them that doesnt mean he actually does well... and they do wear headgear. All boxers probably work with different size guys at one time or another. If they were skilled or speedy enough to deliver punishing blows they wouldnt be sparring partners... Now would they?

As far as his output neutralizing KPs power, I feel the exact opposite of that will occur. To produce PWills usual output would require him to stand within KPs distance and fire away. He may be able to fire off 1-2s without getting caught but PWill has never been a 1-2 fighter. He is a 3-4-5 fighter. If he tries that he will get caught with the right hand.
mrwigi
im taking pwill by UD
salvador
Amazing fight if it happens, though it really pisses me off that nobody at 147 will fight Williams.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards Pavlik by ko. Williams doesn't have the defense or the footwork or the style to avoid getting hit early and often by Pavlik's straight right hands. And it will be the first time Williams won't have any massive size advantage in the ring. Williams' only advantage will be his workrate, which I think will diminish significantly as the fight goes on.

Williams could very well win a career changing bloodfest by decision, especially if Pavlik's confidence is shaky. But Williams is just too easy to hit and offers virtually no lateral movement and his punches are still too wide. And it's impossible for me to believe that if they stand and trade for 12 rounds that Pavlik won't land that one big shot.

This really is going to be an amazing fight.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 12:41 PM) *
So who are the hw's and cw's that he spars with? And just because he spars with them that doesnt mean he actually does well... and they do wear headgear. All boxers probably work with different size guys at one time or another. If they were skilled or speedy enough to deliver punishing blows they wouldnt be sparring partners... Now would they?

thats not quite true.. i can name a few fighters that where sparring partners... Larry Holmes one of the greatest heavies ever was Ali's chief sparring partner and jose luis castillo a very solid champion was one of julio cesar chavez'z chief sparring partners... its not uncommon to have an up and comer in a training camp to be used for sparring... on a lesser note olivar mccall was a chief sparring partner for mike tyson.. just saying just because a guy is brought in as a sparring partner doesnt make him a trash fighter...
EirbinX
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 5 2009, 08:39 PM) *
Pavlik by brutal life altering KO. His 1-2 will end Williams.

Second that
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 6 2009, 07:17 PM) *
People keep saying that Pavlik will stop Williams and he won't be able to stand up to him and so on. Not saying it can't happen, but to me there has been nothing to show that Williams can't. I have never seen him rocked or seriously hurt, he takes clean shots and to be honest when he eats shots, he barely even flinches. So far on what I have seen, I think he has a very, very good chin. To me I'm not sure how Williams will take Pavlik's shots, I'm sitting on the fence. I have not seen anything that will tell me that Williams can't, and Williams hasn't fought a 160 fighter that tells me he can. I'm just in the middle for when his chin is concerned. But so far from 154 and down, I have only seen enough to come to the conclusion that Williams chin is rock solid.

I hear what your saying and it is absolutely correct but... who is the biggest puncher he has faced? My argument isnt so much that PWill wont be able to stand up to him (although I think he does wind up ko'd), but that KPs power is far greater then anything he has faced. I think he might wind up in shock and will not be able to fight in the traditional PWill style.
Keith
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 6 2009, 06:06 PM) *
thats not quite true.. i can name a few fighters that where sparring partners... Larry Holmes one of the greatest heavies ever was Ali's chief sparring partner and jose luis castillo a very solid champion was one of julio cesar chavez'z chief sparring partners... its not uncommon to have an up and comer in a training camp to be used for sparring... on a lesser note olivar mccall was a chief sparring partner for mike tyson.. just saying just because a guy is brought in as a sparring partner doesnt make him a trash fighter...

Ya thats true... but by in large?.... guys who have seen better days or never amount to much. Point taken though.
JLUVBABY
im considering a few things when i pick williams in this fight.. number 1 is williams has been the more active fighter as of late... and 2 i read a while back (few months ago and i admit it was rumored reading) but read that pavlik might have had an alcohol problem.. again dont know how true that is and im not quoting just stating what i read so dont murder me over that statement..lol.... if true one thing is pretty certain and that is williams is taking a lot better care of his body and he's the more active fighter right now... regardless its a great fight and i cant wait...
KookedKrack
i say we all get together at a bar or strip club or something before or after the fight......when the date gets a bit closer someone make like a check in thread

Keith
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 6 2009, 07:52 PM) *
im considering a few things when i pick williams in this fight.. number 1 is williams has been the more active fighter as of late... and 2 i read a while back (few months ago and i admit it was rumored reading) but read that pavlik might have had an alcohol problem.. again dont know how true that is and im not quoting just stating what i read so dont murder me over that statement..lol.... if true one thing is pretty certain and that is williams is taking a lot better care of his body and he's the more active fighter right now... regardless its a great fight and i cant wait...

Ok, if thats true then it looks like KPs been doing a bit too much drinks.gif and looked like bad.gif too often. This will probably lead to black eye.gif when he fights. He needs help.gif
provo
Pavlik wins by late stoppage ! Paul is going 2 try and sit in front of him and bang with kelly, kelly will wear him down like Jermaine Taylor!
He will feel kellys power and kelly is due for a big win ! He will win this ! Once paul will gets hit with a shot he's going 2 be cautious,kellys right hand will be the factor in this fight!
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 01:41 PM) *

As far as his output neutralizing KPs power, I feel the exact opposite of that will occur. To produce PWills usual output would require him to stand within KPs distance and fire away. He may be able to fire off 1-2s without getting caught but PWill has never been a 1-2 fighter. He is a 3-4-5 fighter. If he tries that he will get caught with the right hand.

The same way Hopkins was firing off 3-4-5 punch combos on Pavlik and getting caught? Hopkins exposed Pavlik. Pavlik doesn't sit there and trade with nobody, his defense is his gloves and not bobbing and weaving. While Williams is throwing Pavlik will be covering up cause he's not a counter puncher and when Williams is done working he wont stay in the same spot. The only way Pavlik wins this is by KO cause he sure as hell wont win a decision.
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 08:18 PM) *
Ok, if thats true then it looks like KPs been doing a bit too much drinks.gif and looked like bad.gif too often. This will probably lead to black eye.gif when he fights. He needs help.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Keith
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 6 2009, 10:00 PM) *
The same way Hopkins was firing off 3-4-5 punch combos on Pavlik and getting caught? Hopkins exposed Pavlik. Pavlik doesn't sit there and trade with nobody, his defense is his gloves and not bobbing and weaving. While Williams is throwing Pavlik will be covering up cause he's not a counter puncher and when Williams is done working he wont stay in the same spot. The only way Pavlik wins this is by KO cause he sure as hell wont win a decision.

I hear you. KP has holes in his game. I dont remember a whole lot of 3-4-5's from Hopkins... but I hear ya. Consider though that hopkins has fought his entire career 160 and above and PWill has fought 2 fights at 160. Size, strength, and punching power shock for Williams.... very possible.

Eugene! I lived in N.C. for 6 years my man. Beautiful place.
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 10:33 PM) *
I hear you. KP has holes in his game. I dont remember a whole lot of 3-4-5's from Hopkins... but I hear ya. Consider though that hopkins has fought his entire career 160 and above and PWill has fought 2 fights at 160. Size, strength, and punching power shock for Williams.... very possible.

Very very possible. Oh Hopkins was throwing 3+ punch combos at Pavlik. Thats why he couldn't get off remember...along with Hopkins movement after working.
Keith
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 6 2009, 10:34 PM) *
Very very possible. Oh Hopkins was throwing 3+ punch combos at Pavlik. Thats why he couldn't get off remember...along with Hopkins movement after working.

Dont get me wrong... I saw 3-4-5's from Hopkins. But PWill is ALL DAY 3-4-5's. Thats how he fights. 100 punches a round. Do you see PWill throwing 100 punches a round in this?
singletrack
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 6 2009, 10:00 PM) *

Bhop gave Pavlik every angle in the book and confused the hell out of him; he had him spinning like a top in there. Hopkins was moving the whole time - even when he was throwing combos. Williams squares up and throws and throws. Hop also has a great inside game and can do punishment and avoid it on the inside; he uses his head effectively as well. I mean, there was a LOT more to Hopkins winning than him just throwing combos and moving. I don't think getting off first and moving will be enough for Paul - just my opinion.

King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 10:43 PM) *
Dont get me wrong... I saw 3-4-5's from Hopkins. But PWill is ALL DAY 3-4-5's. Thats how he fights. 100 punches a round. Do you see PWill throwing 100 punches a round in this?

If he is smart 70-80 with a lot more lateral movement. 100 only if Pavlik chooses not to attempt to counter punch.

QUOTE (singletrack @ Aug 6 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Bhop gave Pavlik every angle in the book and confused the hell out of him; he had him spinning like a top in there. Hopkins was moving the whole time - even when he was throwing combos. Williams squares up and throws and throws. Hop also has a great inside game and can do punishment and avoid it on the inside; he uses his head effectively as well. I mean, there was a LOT more to Hopkins winning than him just throwing combos and moving. I don't think getting off first and moving will be enough for Paul - just my opinion.

Have you not watched Williams fight before? One thing people complain about the most is him fighting inside and not using his height and reach. Williams is a lot slicker than given credit for. He is elusive in the inside and gives a lot of movement as well When was the last time you saw Pavlik fight in the inside? Hopkins...guess what, he got schooled. Dont get me wrong, I'm in no way comparing Williams to Hopkins but what I'm saying is Williams is more of a balanced fighter than given credit for. Hell he stayed inside for the most part of the Margarito fight and tore his up! The only real question is how will Williams respond to Pavliks power! That will answer all questions.
King Eugene
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 6 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Eugene! I lived in N.C. for 6 years my man. Beautiful place.

What part? I was born in the country but moved to the city of Charlotte once I got my degree and started working downtown. My uncle died, I took my cousin in, and moved back to the country(an hour away which is an hour commute back and forth everyday) so he could finish his last year of school there. I swear I seen some of the craziest things since moving back to the country. My first day there I seen a dude hauling a washing machine in the hatch back of a Toyota Celica and then I seen a family turn a double wide trailer into a two car garage ranch house LOL. The country man I tell ya!
D-MARV
Pavlik's only hope is that he lands a Power shot right on PWill's chin. That little 1-2 is NOT going to get it done either. Other than landing "THE PERFECT SHOT", I see no scenario where Pavlik wins this fight.
singletrack
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 6 2009, 10:59 PM) *
Have you not watched Williams fight before? One thing people complain about the most is him fighting inside and not using his height and reach. Williams is a lot slicker than given credit for. He is elusive in the inside and gives a lot of movement as well When was the last time you saw Pavlik fight in the inside? Hopkins...guess what, he got schooled. Dont get me wrong, I'm in no way comparing Williams to Hopkins but what I'm saying is Williams is more of a balanced fighter than given credit for. Hell he stayed inside for the most part of the Margarito fight and tore his up! The only real question is how will Williams respond to Pavliks power! That will answer all questions.

I saw the Margarita fight and both Quintana fights, as well as a bunch of highlights against nobodies. I think the Margarita fight is a good indication of how he will fight against Pavlik. In that fight, his inside fighting was usually limited to holding, with the occasional combination as he would push off. He spent most of the fight trying to keep Antonia at bay by being busier and moving. Bottom line for me is that he was barely able to escape Margarita with that game plan and Pavlik is basically a bigger and more powerful version of Antonia. I just don't think he can keep Kelly off him for 12 rounds. Kelly has a great chin and he will use his jab unlike what Margarita did in their fight - attempt to run through the punches and land to the body. The scary thing is, that actually worked enough to cause some serious damage and make the fight close. Paul also looked huge in comparison to plasterboy, whereas he will be facing a man that is basically the same size as him, save a reach advantage.
King Eugene
QUOTE (singletrack @ Aug 6 2009, 11:43 PM) *
I saw the Margarita fight and both Quintana fights, as well as a bunch of highlights against nobodies. I think the Margarita fight is a good indication of how he will fight against Pavlik. In that fight, his inside fighting was usually limited to holding, with the occasional combination as he would push off. He spent most of the fight trying to keep Antonia at bay by being busier and moving. Bottom line for me is that he was barely able to escape Margarita with that game plan and Pavlik is basically a bigger and more powerful version of Antonia. I just don't think he can keep Kelly off him for 12 rounds. Kelly has a great chin and he will use his jab unlike what Margarita did in their fight - attempt to run through the punches and land to the body. The scary thing is, that actually worked enough to cause some serious damage and make the fight close. Paul also looked huge in comparison to plasterboy, whereas he will be facing a man that is basically the same size as him, save a reach advantage.

LOL Great Chin...did you not watch the Hopkins fight? Did you see him almost get knocked out against Taylor. He's just in great shape which enables him to recover fast. Great chin...I think not!

Pavlik wont be able to handle Williams workrate and movement. Pavlik has to set that 1-2 up and Williams wont give him time. He wont get knocked out but he will be beaten thoroughly again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.