Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What "School" Boxing fan are you?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
The CEO
It goes like this....

If you've followed Boxing for 25 or more years, you're Old School...15-24 years, you're Middle School....5-14 years, New School...

0-4 years, you's too young for School...

Vote!
JD
I am 34...since I was a little kid watching it with my pops. 25+
The CEO
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 11 2009, 09:55 AM) *
I am 34...since I was a little kid watching it with my pops. 25+

I'm 38 and same here....sittin' on the floor RIGHT in front of the TV....Dad was back in his chair....breakin' it all down...
singletrack
31 - started watching as a kid with my brother, who was a big fan - figure 20 years or so.
lloyd mayflower
New school, im 23 and got into it mostly because of Lennox
mrwigi
Im 22, and ive been following for as long as i can remember.
Box in Hand
I'm 32 and the Leonard vs. Hagler fight broke my cherry. I remember my uncles explaining the fight as it went on. I was hooked after that.
D-MARV
My very first memory of Boxing was probably Tyson-Douglas... I was 5 years old. I remember crying and My father saying this is the biggest upset in sports history. I'm middle school.
Maxy
Old school.

My Grandad bought me books about the history of boxing when I was 9 years old and video tapes of the greats, Dempsey, Louis, Marciano etc when I was 10.

Duran-Hearns was one of the first fights I can actually recall watching (delayed broadcast due to being a Brit) but all in all I've followed the sport for over 25 years.
Spyder
I'm the same as DMarv...Tyson-Douglas is my first memory of actually watching a fight live. I remember bitching about the long count that Douglas got, and then the much quicker one for Tyson.

At that time, I didn't see the beating that Tyson was taking. lol
D-MARV
That's funny, I don't remember much but I do remember Tyson Koncoking Douglas down and me thinking Tyson was winning. I was not aware of the brutal beating Tyson was receiving.
EirbinX
i think I'm right there in new school....I'm 21 and the first fight i Remember was holyfield - bowe 3.
Keith
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Aug 11 2009, 10:32 AM) *
I'm 32 and the Leonard vs. Hagler fight broke my cherry. I remember my uncles explaining the fight as it went on. I was hooked after that.

Same here with that fight, I'm 33.
provo
Im 26 years old! Been watching it since I was born ,my dad used to box fought amatuer still trained until I was 9 he passed away!,started teaching me how to box when I was 6...
I've always loved boxing! "The sweet science"
singletrack
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 11 2009, 11:46 AM) *
That's funny, I don't remember much but I do remember Tyson Koncoking Douglas down and me thinking Tyson was winning. I was not aware of the brutal beating Tyson was receiving.

Tyson was actually up on one card, and even on another when he got KOed...
provo
Mike tyson vs buster douglas ! I remember watching that evryone in my house was shocked . I remember seeing him lay guys the fuck out my eyes would be glued to the tv like " WHOA" lol
Growing up also got 2 say watching Julio Cesar chavez ! Seems like everyweek my family would get 2gether and watch him fight ..LOL.. Were a mexican family...
JLUVBABY
first fight i remember watching was the first leonard duran fight... i lived with my grandfather and my mother was working at the time and he didnt have anyone to take care of me so he brought me to work with him (he was a security guard at the beaumont civic center and the fight was being shown on closed circuit tv)... i sat in the front row of the seats right next to my grandfather to watch that fight... i was 4 going on 5 years old.. but my grandfather was a very hard core fight fan and a huge fan of larry holmes so i am sure its not the first i ever watched just the first one i rememebr i suppose because of the setting it was in... but we caught almost every major fight of the 80's... and i've been hooked ever since...
STEVENSKI
I am 30 & classify myself as new school. I am more of a zimmer frame fractured hip colostomy bag in my pocket style old schooler though.

First boxing memory was Jeff Fenech smashing Samat Pyakaroon on my 8th birthday to win his 3rd world title. I started seriously watching boxing & getting into teh history when I was around 17 so I classify myself from there.

True-Boxing-Fan
Of course everyone or the majority on here is a 25+ year vet. when being a boxing fan or so they say. LOL I'm 43 and have been watching boxing all my life since the Ali-Foreman fight when i was just a kid. But i consider myself New to Middle school when it comes to boxing. When i think of old school boxing fans, I think of guys like my dad and my uncles who have been following boxing since the 50's. I'm still young when it comes to my love for boxing, but I got 25+ knowledgeable years of boxing in me.
D-MARV
QUOTE (singletrack @ Aug 11 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Tyson was actually up on one card, and even on another when he got KOed...

Yeah, That's terrible. Douglas handed him one ASS-Stomping. Good thing he KO'd him.
King Eugene
My uncle use to box and started training me in both Karate and boxing at age 5. I got into football and basketball and didn't train as much as I use to. First fight I ever remember watching was the Spinks fight. Most of Tyson fights in the 80's I feel asleep on before the main event. Always been a Tyson fan but the first time I seen Roy my love for boxing revamped!
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 11 2009, 09:59 PM) *
I'm 25, so I am a new school fan.

I thought you were older then that. How long have you been watching the sport?
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I just turned 21, so I'm new school. I've been watching it since late 2001 though, when Rahman was going to rematch Lewis. That upclose show on ESPN hooked me into it when Rahman and Lewis brawled on the set. First live fight I watched was Mayweather-Hernandez the week before Lewis-Rahman 2. I was in 8th grade, good times.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 12 2009, 02:23 AM) *
By the way, who are you? See, this is the problem with name changes, I forget who is who, lol.

Exactly.
The CEO
lol...StyleZ is damarvelous1....and Big Slim is now Sweetness (which was actually his original name from '02)...

and to avoid future confusion...I believe there's a way to check a Member's Display Name history in their profile...under Options on the left.
Keith
Gosh dangit, I so friggin computer illiterate. How the fuck do you change your name?
The CEO
QUOTE (keith @ Aug 11 2009, 11:31 PM) *
Gosh dangit, I so friggin computer illiterate. How the fuck do you change your name?

Only admins and mods can change people's names......read this thread...... http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=24364

That's in our General Discussion forum...where all the Good Time Charlies hang out...lol

Iin fact, you should be posting in there...I can tell you like to entertain and be entertained...
Big Slim Sweet
Sweetness here...formerly Big Slim...now back to my original handle. Like when Booker T briefly changed his name back to G.I. Bro. laugh.gif

I'm 38. Loved boxing since practically the beginning of my cognitive development. First fight I specifically remember watching was Ali-Spinks 2 on the little portable black and white TV my parents put in my room (I'm thinking it was 7" or so?). They probably thought I'd fall asleep the first couple of rounds but I stayed awake and watched the whole thing. I'm old school.
jlupi
I'm the same as DMarv...Tyson-Douglas is my first memory of actually watching a fight live>>>

Im getting old LOL.

It seems like yesterday and I was in grad school at the time.

I started following boxing on the web whan Pedro's fighters.com was one of the only sites out there - Late 90S?
kidbazooka1
Old school all the way.
Keith
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 11 2009, 11:39 PM) *
Only admins and mods can change people's names......read this thread...... http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=24364

That's in our General Discussion forum...where all the Good Time Charlies hang out...lol

Iin fact, you should be posting in there...I can tell you like to entertain and be entertained...

I'll check it out.

torvix2000
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 12 2009, 05:40 AM) *
Though, I could totally understand a change in name for Torvix, he would need an AV change as well. laugh.gif

LOL!

Old school. Only like excellent one-dimensional go forward hard hitting fighters who use speed not to back up or run around the ring potshotting but to stalk opponents. Consolation if they learn to use some skills.

Been with the peaks and lows of boxing. Sometimes gets disinterested. And sometimes get interested. Boxing ain't dying. We just need more fighters to be born who will get us interested.
The Original MrFactor
Thrilla in manilla, I think... It may have been a rebroadcast though not sure. The one I can really remember was Ali/Spinks 1. I had to go to bed before it was over. My mom woke me up the next morning to tell me that Ali lost and I cried. I think I also remember Ali-Norton 3 when I was a kid. I remember thinking that this guy is beating Ali, only to be happy at the end when Ali won and Norton cried... Watching that fight manty years later, I thought Norton was robbed. Looking back at that also makes me think that if Ali was standing at the end of his fight with Larry Holmes that they would have found some way to give it to Ali...

I'm 37 and have been watching since I could crawl...
caneman
OLDDDDDDDDDD school! My 1st PPV was closed circuit...Ali vs Frazier!
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 13 2009, 04:21 AM) *
The one I can really remember was Ali/Spinks 1. I had to go to bed before it was over. My mom woke me up the next morning to tell me that Ali lost and I cried.

LOL! Same here! My parents were watching the fight but I had to go to bed. The next morning my dad told me Ali lost. Don't remember if I cried exactly, but hearing it fucked my little head up. Ali was like Bruce Lee or the Harlem Globetrotters. It was inconceivable to me that he could lose.

I also went as Muhammad Ali for halloween like in 77 or 78. I wore a robe and little boxing gloves that I would use to box my dog with and my parents put a sign around my neck that said 'The Champ'. Older kids on the street were giving me hi-fives and shout-outs. "Hey, it's the champ!" I remember feeling really, really good about that.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 13 2009, 06:49 AM) *
OLDDDDDDDDDD school! My 1st PPV was closed circuit...Ali vs Frazier!

The 1st actual PPV I can remember was Holmes/Cooney. I remember how that fight was so divided. My white freinds all were going for Cooney. Me and my family were all pulling for Holmes. My uncle got that little device that you attatch to the TV and he had a little fight party. Anybody remember how much the Holmes/Cooney PPV was because you were treated like royalty if you got it...
kingknockout
new school...11 years in bay baby..
Fadetwist
29, been following since i was a kid. My grandpa was the ultimate Ali fan. I couldnt get him to shut up about him.
caneman
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 13 2009, 09:37 PM) *
The 1st actual PPV I can remember was Holmes/Cooney. I remember how that fight was so divided. My white freinds all were going for Cooney. Me and my family were all pulling for Holmes. My uncle got that little device that you attatch to the TV and he had a little fight party. Anybody remember how much the Holmes/Cooney PPV was because you were treated like royalty if you got it...

Often Larry didn't get much love but the guy could fight & was under rated IMO! I knew he would beat Cooney myself!
iron_mike
Gonna be 30 on Sunday....omg 30 freakin years old.....anyway, I remember I didn't have cable, so would go to cousin's house every weekend...I vaguely remember the HW unifaction tournament, I do remember watching Tyson vs Berbick, so I really started getting into boxing around 1989, 90ish, and like alot of ppl in my age range, Tyson was the one who introduced me to boxing, although I do remember some of the Olympics, didn't know who Ry was, but remember big controversy him getting robbed vs the home/country fighter....Also have memories of Deuk Gu Kim's death, I was 4 when the fight happened so I didn't watch it, but I remember a big deal going on
rusty_trombone
elementary school scon
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (iron_mike @ Aug 14 2009, 10:37 AM) *
Gonna be 30 on Sunday....omg 30 freakin years old.....anyway, I remember I didn't have cable, so would go to cousin's house every weekend...I vaguely remember the HW unifaction tournament, I do remember watching Tyson vs Berbick, so I really started getting into boxing around 1989, 90ish, and like alot of ppl in my age range, Tyson was the one who introduced me to boxing, although I do remember some of the Olympics, didn't know who Ry was, but remember big controversy him getting robbed vs the home/country fighter....Also have memories of Deuk Gu Kim's death, I was 4 when the fight happened so I didn't watch it, but I remember a big deal going on

Damn people on here are thirty years and whatever age and are old school. Dont get me wrong we all have a major love for boxing but it makes me laugh how people try to come off as old school. If you are only 30 something years old there is no way you can call yourself old school. The first fight i ever saw was Ali-Foreman when i was 7 years old. The only thing i remeber is when Ali knocked out Foreman, my dad and uncles jumped up for joy and were going crazy. But i didnt know what was going on in the fight, I was a kid. Some people on here are acting like they were knowlegdable and crazy fans even when they were still wetting the bed. I'm in my early forties and i dont consider myself old school when it comes to my love for the sport. Leonard-Duran was the first fight I can remember really enjoying and understanding what was going on and I was just an early teenager. Just remember people you dont have to be an old school boxing fan to be knowledgable. With this post and the one on street fighting a boxer, it has all been very entertaining.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 14 2009, 05:36 PM) *
Damn people on here are thirty years and whatever age and are old school. Dont get me wrong we all have a major love for boxing but it makes me laugh how people try to come off as old school. If you are only 30 something years old there is no way you can call yourself old school. The first fight i ever saw was Ali-Foreman when i was 7 years old. The only thing i remeber is when Ali knocked out Foreman, my dad and uncles jumped up for joy and were going crazy. But i didnt know what was going on in the fight, I was a kid. Some people on here are acting like they were knowlegdable and crazy fans even when they were still wetting the bed. I'm in my early forties and i dont consider myself old school when it comes to my love for the sport. Leonard-Duran was the first fight I can remember really enjoying and understanding what was going on and I was just an early teenager. Just remember people you dont have to be an old school boxing fan to be knowledgable. With this post and the one on street fighting a boxer, it has all been very entertaining.

damn true i agree with this as much as i would like to think i know about the sport and im 33 been watching since i was in diapers for sure there is still alot i dont know...lol... this is a very rich sport as far as heritage is concerned and i hope the younger fans and fighters keep it alive... as dead as a lot of people think boxing is just give it a few years and it will be back in mainstream.. i've seen it before and its the history of the sport... it goes through its peeks and valleys... a heavyweight is coming that captivates the minds of the casual fan or joe blows that will put boxing on the map again... TRUST THAT.
iron_mike
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 14 2009, 06:36 PM) *

I don't know if u meant me directly, but I voted I'm new school, 5 to 14 yrs whatever it was. Though I feel like an old man....but I still get carded for smokes and the occasional lotto ticket.

I wish I was old enough when it was Leonard Hearns Duran Hagler, heck I wish I was around during Joe Louis' heyday
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Aug 14 2009, 05:36 PM) *

i cant speak for the other people on this board but going off the numbers at the top of the page and what their criteria is to be considered what ever school i for sure qualify to be considered an old schooler... i sat down with my grand father and watched a lot of fights as a LITTLE kid and had a general understanding for what was going on... i do how ever agree with you in the thinking that still doesnt ness. make a person old school as far as boxing is concerned but i am sure it is a topic to see what type of knoledge diffrent posters have on the sport..
rusty_trombone
I'm pretty sure, even if you're 30 you can be a fan of old school fights. See, we have developed this thing called "video" and "motion capture device" which record fights while they are happening. This technology allows viewers in the future to see(and even hear in some cases) replayed events, that happened while these astounding pieces of technology were capturing them. So, in effect, we can travel back in time to the "old school" days and watch the fights like they were actually happening.

Take Johnny_Blaze for instance, I'm pretty sure he has seen alot of old fights on "video" and can call himself an old school fan.
The CEO
Let me clear up any controversy...

The poll question I asked above was..."How long you been following the sport?...and according to MY criteria....if you've been following the sport for 25 (or more) solid years, you are an Old School Boxing fan.

As far as the age thing....look at Fitz, for example...he's 25 years old...which makes it impossible for him to be "Old School" on my poll...yet he is a Quality Boxing fan...which is what it's all about anyway...

You can be New or Middle School and still be a Quality Boxing fan...and when it comes to Boxing forums, FightHype is The P4P #1.

That's all there is to it.

Thank you for your time and attention...lol
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 15 2009, 07:10 PM) *
Let me clear up any controversy...

The poll question I asked above was..."How long you been following the sport?...and according to MY criteria....if you've been following the sport for 25 (or more) solid years, you are an Old School Boxing fan.

As far as the age thing....look at Fitz, for example...he's 25 years old...which makes it impossible for him to be "Old School" on my poll...yet he is a Quality Boxing fan...which is what it's all about anyway...

You can be New or Middle School and still be a Quality Boxing fan...and when it comes to Boxing forums, FightHype is The P4P #1.

That's all there is to it.

Thank you for your time and attention...lol

i've been trying to come out of retirement to fight you again and you have yet to answer the challenge mr skullsplitter...
The CEO
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 15 2009, 08:38 PM) *
i've been trying to come out of retirement to fight you again and you have yet to answer the challenge mr skullsplitter...

lol...man, J....you really got a thing for me....I answered you in the other thread...

If you could only make predictions like you play video games... haha.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Aug 15 2009, 07:51 PM) *
lol...man, J....you really got a thing for me....I answered you in the other thread...

If you could only make predictions like you play video games... haha.gif

LOL!!!!! i've only picked wrong once...lol.... pac vs. hatton... that i can recall
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.