Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Usan Bolt
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
King Eugene
Anybody see him run a 9.58 100M dash? This dude broke his own record. Blazing fast...I knew it was only a matter of time before he was accused of roiding up though. Um um um...
Spyder
Too bad he can't catch a football. That would be the ultimate "go" route.
King Eugene
I was saying the same thing yesterday. He would be one hell of a deep threat but I bet he couldn't catch a cold soaking wet butt naked in the middle of a snow storm in Alaska. Crazy thing is he is only 23.
Spyder
Track guys always have problems with route running too. They're usually too concentrated on running fast that they overrun the route.

John Capel did that shit all the time for the Gators...of coarse, he couldn't catch shit either. lol
Maxy
Yeah he's an amazing athlete, truly phenomenal, and considering he's only 23 it's quite conceivable that he'll break his own records several more times before his career is over.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2009, 09:58 PM) *
Not sure who was declared the king of the olympic games, but this guy definitely deserved it over Phelps.

Bolt is quick no doubt but Phelps won 8 gold medals. Sorry but that is the king of the 2008 games by a country mile & then some.
Spyder
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2009, 05:58 PM) *
Bolt is something else. He is truly special, I remember watching him at the olympics smash the world record and he didn't seem to have the best start out of the blocks and seemed to coast the last 10-20m and still broke it. No surprise he broke his own record.
Not sure who was declared the king of the olympic games, but this guy definitely deserved it over Phelps.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2009, 06:58 PM) *
Bolt is quick no doubt but Phelps won 8 gold medals. Sorry but that is the king of the 2008 games by a country mile & then some.

AUSSIE FIGHT!!!!!! clapping.gif
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2009, 07:13 PM) *
The 8 gold medals is kind of overrated. He won multiple medals by doing the same stroke and distance in several events. In relay events, in medley relays and so on. One race he lost in, but because his opponent didn't touch the "wall" hard enough, it didn't detect the guy finishing.
Plus, in swimming you get swimmers racing in pointless strokes. You have butterfly, breast stroke and back stroke. What's the point? It's not the fastest swimming technique either. The equivalent of that in sprinting would be if Bolt won gold medals in skipping, side stepping and running backwards.

I understand your argument but it could also be said that Bolt didnt even have the best track n field games ever. Both Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis won 4 golds. If he had competed in the long jump and medaled there... then you could say he was in the same category of Phelps. For me it wasnt the actual number of golds, as no track or gymnast will ever be able to win that many, it was the fact that Phelps did something no one else in swimming had ever done.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2009, 12:13 AM) *
The 8 gold medals is kind of overrated. He won multiple medals by doing the same stroke and distance in several events. In relay events, in medley relays and so on.

Bolt had the same oppotunities in the relay (winning) & he could have won the 200M relay as well. If his teammates let him down then tough luck.

If you wanna fight then lets meet at Wagga Wagga & settle this once & for all! Best of three rounds.

First round fists, second with sticks & third with knives. Last man standing wins & this will be a fight to the finish.

Spyder
Rather than making up events, why don't you just name 8 actual Track events?

100m
200m
400m
800m
400m relay
1600m relay
110m hurdles
400m hurdles

Now if Usain Bolt won a gold medal in those 8 events, then yes...I would think that he was the more impressive olympic athlete as well. But looking at that list, it should also put what Michael Phelps did into better perspective for you.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2009, 12:03 AM) *
I'm happy with fists, and you can pick either sticks or knives, your choice, but I demand one with cousins.

Cousins? this ain't Tasmania Fitz. One on one & the only rule is one stands & one shall fall. As a warm up we should share gravedigging duties & fight in the grave. That way no one can run away & the winner gets to fill it in.

No families or anything like that the loser just dissapears like a German backpacker.
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2009, 07:37 PM) *
To me, the time Bolt ran the 100m is a lot more impressive. The reason why Bolt will never win gold medals is because they don't have sprints running backwards, on the side, skipping then have a medley relay where it's 20m sprinting, 20 m running backwards, 20m skipping and 20 m running to the side, and then have the exact same event with the same technique except you do it with team mates.
The reason why nobody will ever win 8 medals is because they don't have 4 events with the same stroke for a medal and events where they race in a technique that isn't the most efficient with speed. Like I said, it's the same if they had track and field events that required you to run backwards.
Don't get me wrong, I think what Phelps did was really something special, but I also look at it in a way because they have a lot more stupid events that give you a gold medal that other events don't.

Like I said... Bolt didnt even have the best track and field showing of all time. I think the argument should end there.

Imo, the 200 im(all 4 strokes), won races from from 100 to 400 meters(huge difference in length), and winning 8 races in 17 days(he had to be tired compared to his competetors) shows exactly how ridiculous what Phelps did was. Versatile, Consistent, and Dominant (7 records, 4 idividual).
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 17 2009, 08:57 PM) *
See, I don't think it should end there. The times he did the 100m and 200m were special. Also I could be wrong, but I don't think many would have broken 100m and 200m sprint world records in the same year. Especially considering that I think Bolt wasn't a 200m sprinter originally.

And 200 in 4 strokes is impressive, but like I was saying earlier it's other events that require different technique which isn't even efficient. Like having sprinting in different ways. He also won several medals for doing the exact same stroke and exact same distance that he won medals in other events. He got gifted with one gold medal anyways. He should only have 7, but they gave him one because technology failed.
Like I said, I think what Phelps did was impressive, but I think Bolt was even more impressive. I'm actually not debating on Phelps not being that good, just more defending on how it's possible to think Bolt was more impressive.

I hear ya, I think what Bolt is extremely impressive as well... but Bolt won 2 golds doing almost the exact same thing. There isnt a huge differnce between the 100 and 200. Double gold in those events has been done quite a few times. The records were the impressive though.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 18 2009, 02:11 AM) *
I hear ya, I think what Bolt is extremely impressive as well... but Bolt won 2 golds doing almost the exact same thing. There isnt a huge differnce between the 100 and 200. Double gold in those events has been done quite a few times. The records were the impressive though.

Also the 100M relay. So he really won 3 golds doing the same thing. Phelps is twice as good because he used his legs & arms to swim whereas Bolt only used his legs to run.
Keith
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Also the 100M relay. So he really won 3 golds doing the same thing. Phelps is twice as good because he used his legs & arms to swim whereas Bolt only used his legs to run.

laugh.gif I just got this funny visual of someone trying to run without arms.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 18 2009, 01:42 AM) *
He won 2 golds doing the same thing. The 3rd was 200m.

You know what he has in common for those 3 events? He used his legs so he was doing the same thing in every event. He is not talented.

So when you gonna meet me in Wagga Wagga & have a fight to the death?
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2009, 08:24 PM) *
One on one & the only rule is one stands & one shall fall. As a warm up we should share gravedigging duties & fight in the grave. That way no one can run away & the winner gets to fill it in.

No families or anything like that the loser just dissapears like a German backpacker.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

One of your best right there, STEVENS...

King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 17 2009, 09:16 PM) *

WOW...if you really think the only thing you need to run is good legs then I'm a need you to stop debating right now. If that was the case he'd be super small up top with huge legs. Its all about technique, form, and overall power to run like that. Not just your legs.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2009, 02:46 AM) *
WOW...if you really think the only thing you need to run is good legs then I'm a need you to stop debating right now. If that was the case he'd be super small up top with huge legs. Its all about technique, form, and overall power to run like that. Not just your legs.

Nah it is just in the legs & legs only. Or do you all of a sudden run with your arms. I dunno what they call that in America but we call that walking on your hands & it is much faster to walk on your feet. I have never seen someone display any speed on their hands to be honest.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2009, 12:19 AM) *
Nah it is just in the legs & legs only. Or do you all of a sudden run with your arms. I dunno what they call that in America but we call that walking on your hands & it is much faster to walk on your feet. I have never seen someone display any speed on their hands to be honest.

Its called form! You ever notice when they run their arms are going straight forward and backwards. Not across the body which is less wind resistant and slows you down because of the extra movement.

Hell why even bother explaining to you, I'm sure you've never been close to being anything similar to a sprinter/athlete before in your life. Former athletes understand 100% that proper form increases speed.

From the August 2004 issue of Runner's World

Head Tilt How you hold your head is key to overall posture, which determines how efficiently you run. Let your gaze guide you. Look ahead naturally, not down at your feet, and scan the horizon. This will straighten your neck and back, and bring them into alignment. Don't allow your chin to jut out.

Shoulders Shoulders play an important role in keeping your upper body relaxed while you run, which is critical to maintaining efficient running posture. For optimum performance, your shoulders should be low and loose, not high and tight. As you tire on a run, don't let them creep up toward your ears. If they do, shake them out to release the tension. Your shoulders also need to remain level and shouldn't dip from side to side with each stride.

Arms Even though running is primarily a lower-body activity, your arms aren't just along for the ride. Your hands control the tension in your upper body, while your arm swing works in conjunction with your leg stride to drive you forward. Keep your hands in an unclenched fist, with your fingers lightly touching your palms. Imagine yourself trying to carry a potato chip in each hand without crushing it. Your arms should swing mostly forward and back, not across your body,between waist and lower-chest level. Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle. When you feel your fists clenching or your forearms tensing, drop your arms to your sides and shake them out for a few seconds to release the tension.

Torso The position of your torso while running is affected by the position of your head and shoulders. With your head up and looking ahead and your shoulders low and loose, your torso and back naturally straighten to allow you to run in an efficient, upright position that promotes optimal lung capacity and stride length. Many track coaches describe this ideal torso position as "running tall" and it means you need to stretch yourself up to your full height with your back comfortably straight. If you start to slouch during a run take a deep breath and feel yourself naturally straighten. As you exhale simply maintain that upright position.

Hips Your hips are your center of gravity, so they're key to good running posture. The proper position of your torso while running helps to ensure your hips will also be in the ideal position. With your torso and back comfortably upright and straight, your hips naturally fall into proper alignment--pointing you straight ahead. If you allow your torso to hunch over or lean too far forward during a run, your pelvis will tilt forward as well, which can put pressure on your lower back and throw the rest of your lower body out of alignment. When trying to gauge the position of your hips, think of your pelvis as a bowl filled with marbles, then try not to spill the marbles by tilting the bowl.

Legs/Stride While sprinters need to lift their knees high to achieve maximum leg power, distance runners don't need such an exaggerated knee lift--it's simply too hard to sustain for any length of time. Instead, efficient endurance running requires just a slight knee lift, a quick leg turnover, and a short stride. Together, these will facilitate fluid forward movement instead of diverting (and wasting) energy. When running with the proper stride length, your feet should land directly underneath your body. As your foot strikes the ground, your knee should be slightly flexed so that it can bend naturally on impact. If your lower leg (below the knee) extends out in front of your body, your stride is too long.

Ankles/Feet To run well, you need to push off the ground with maximum force. With each step, your foot should hit the ground lightly--landing between your heel and midfoot--then quickly roll forward. Keep your ankle flexed as your foot rolls forward to create more force for push-off. As you roll onto your toes, try to spring off the ground. You should feel your calf muscles propelling you forward on each step. Your feet should not slap loudly as they hit the ground. Good running is springy and quiet.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120...-8210-0,00.html

Running Form & Style
by Stephen M. Pribut, DPM

Bill Bowerman, in his coaching days at the University of Oregon, has been quoted as saying "Run Tall". This sums up the style of many of the recent and current greats in long distance running. You should run standing up fairly straight, not leaning forward, twisted to one side, or tilting backwards. You should be looking ahead at where you are going, not staring at your feet or the ground. Of course on a trail run, you might be checking out the ground and what is coming up next, if you value your ankles.
“Some say to run on the ball of your foot, others say contact the ground with the heel. We take a middle of the road approach.”

Foot First: Where should you contact

Some say to run on the ball of your foot, others say contact the ground with the heel. We take a middle of the road approach. Studies have shown that good long distance runners usually contact with the midfoot. Slower runners contact between the midfoot and the heel, faster runners a bit further forward. We feel that only sprinters or short to middle distance runners should contact the ground with their forefoot or the ball of the foot. While there may be exceptions to the rule, this is a good way for most beginning and intermediate runners to start out. It allows for better shock absorption, less stress on the calf muscle and Achilles tendon, and better rolling forward onto the next stride. Your muscles then end up being used in a similar manner to how you walk, and this is the pattern of muscle firing and contact pattern they are accustomed to.

Hips & Head

This part is hard to think about: Where are your hips when your foot hits the ground. Some people have suggested that your foot should be under the center of gravity of your body when it strikes the ground. A line from your head through your hips should end up at your foot. Keep the head fairly straight and look ahead. Turns to the side should be done carefully and usually mostly from the neck up to avoid twisting your body and making you unstable in your forward progression.

Arm Carriage

This is what you use when you haven't yet obtained a jogging baby stroller. Actually, it is where you allow your arms to swing. First, and most importantly, don't tense up and carry them stiffly with your hands balled up into a fist and your elbows completely bent. Relax. Carry your arms at your side somewhere between your waist and your chest. Make sure they are not too high or too low. One arm swings forward while the other one goes backwards. This occurs opposite to the foot and leg motion. Sprinters on the track move their arms in a straight forward-backward motion. Most longer distance runners use a slight arc as they swing their arms, but the better ones don't waste motion by moving too much from side-to-side. In other words, they don't swing their arms excessively in front of their body.

Knees

The knees do not have to come up very high for long distance runners. Only sprinters or those of us chugging up a hill have to left our legs high.

Stride Length

One of the biggest problems of form in long distance running is overstriding. Make sure that you don't do this, it can lead to a host of problems including Achilles tendonitis, ITB pain, and iliopsoas muscle pain.

Breathing

While some like to tell you how to count your breathing in seconds both in and out, we will just tell you to

keep breathing, deep and regular. In most cases your breathing will take care of itself, as you run faster, you'll breathe faster. And yes, most runners are mouth breathers or at least nose and mouth breathers. It would be impossible to take in adequate oxygen just breathing through your nose.

Uphills and Downhills

Slow up a bit on the uphills. In general it is a bad idea to try going faster. Move your arms a bit more to help you imagine that you are cranking your way or pulling yourself up hill. Shorten your stride and chug on up. You can think of the little train that could and repeat "I think I can" on the way up a big hill.

On the downhill, be careful. Go slow. The biggest risk, is to your knees. Your quadriceps do the bulk of the braking and be overworked without you being aware of it. If you are racing, then you may lean forward a bit and fly down the hill in a short race, but certainly be more careful in training. In fact many runners who use hills as part of their training will walk down the hill while recovering to run up the hill once more. This is a good way to rest and recover while avoiding the excessive knee stress that downhill running can cause.
http://www.drpribut.com/sports/running_form.html
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 18 2009, 05:45 AM) *
Its called form! You ever notice when they run their arms are going straight forward and backwards. Not across the body which is less wind resistant and slows you down because of the extra movement.

Hell why even bother explaining to you, I'm sure you've never been close to being anything similar to a sprinter/athlete before in your life. Former athletes understand 100% that proper form increases speed.

OK lets cut off yor arms & I bet you can still run. Cut off your legs & you don't run too fast on stumps do you? I am a white boy so of course I was no sprinter. I was more a swimmer but that is besides the point anyway. See when you swim you stroke with your arms & kick with your legs & it is quite equal. When you run you use your legs as propulsion the arms are just excess weight & we all know the less mass you have to carry the faster you go. That is why Ferrari's are light with big engines because power & weight play a big role in speed. Would it not be natural to lose both arms (for balance purposes) & increase your speed?
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2009, 07:19 AM) *
OK lets cut off yor arms & I bet you can still run. Cut off your legs & you don't run too fast on stumps do you? I am a white boy so of course I was no sprinter. I was more a swimmer but that is besides the point anyway. See when you swim you stroke with your arms & kick with your legs & it is quite equal. When you run you use your legs as propulsion the arms are just excess weight & we all know the less mass you have to carry the faster you go. That is why Ferrari's are light with big engines because power & weight play a big role in speed. Would it not be natural to lose both arms (for balance purposes) & increase your speed?

no2.gif
Go out side
take off in a full sprint for 30 meters
come back
tie your hands behind your back
take off in a full sprint for another 30 meters
come back to the board and tell me did you run faster with or without the use of your arms.
STEVENSKI
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I cannot believe you have been taking me seriously.

Did it not twig when I said things like

Phelps is twice as good because he used his legs & arms to swim whereas Bolt only used his legs to run.

Or do you all of a sudden run with your arms. I dunno what they call that in America but we call that walking on your hands & it is much faster to walk on your feet. I have never seen someone display any speed on their hands to be honest.

When you run you use your legs as propulsion the arms are just excess weight & we all know the less mass you have to carry the faster you go. That is why Ferrari's are light with big engines because power & weight play a big role in speed.

laugh.gif You coming up with documentation to prove my claims wrong was the best though.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 18 2009, 10:19 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I cannot believe you have been taking me seriously.

Did it not twig when I said things like

laugh.gif You coming up with documentation to prove my claims wrong was the best though.

And you know whats really funny, I hardly ever take you serious until your talking about old school boxing. Football and Track where the two sports I excelled in the most so I always take those serious. You got me though
STEVENSKI
Has he ben tested yet? If a athlete looks too good to be true then chances are that they are getting "assistance".
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 20 2009, 07:56 PM) *
Has he ben tested yet? If a athlete looks too good to be true then chances are that they are getting "assistance".

Him and others have been tested. Some tested positive

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Jamaican runners pulled from worlds
Reuters

BERLIN -- Five Jamaican track and field athletes expected to run in the 4x100 and 4x400 meter relays at the world championships have been pulled off the team, the IAAF said on Wednesday.

Sprinters Yohan Blake, Marvin Anderson and Sheri-Ann Brooks as well as Allodin Fothergill and Lansford Spence had tested positive for the stimulant methylxanthine, but were allowed to race by the IAAF pending an appeal.

"Jamaica will not enter these athletes," IAAF spokesman Nick Davies told reporters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfiel...tory?id=4409197

Every winner isn't a cheater Steve
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 21 2009, 01:59 AM) *

No every winner does not get caught. It may be rough but I say they all juice anyway. Some just can get better masking agents.
King Eugene
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 21 2009, 12:39 AM) *
No every winner does not get caught. It may be rough but I say they all juice anyway. Some just can get better masking agents.

You sound like a bitter loser who never felt like nobody ever beat you fair and square lol
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 21 2009, 12:39 AM) *

So, you're saying his Jamaican teammates have a different hookup than him?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 20 2009, 08:59 PM) *

Also, methylxanthine is not a particular drug, it's a class of stimulants, the strongest being caffeine. Were these guys drinking coffee?

Methylated xanthine derivatives include caffeine, paraxanthine, theophylline, and theobromine. These drugs act as both non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitors and adenosine receptor antagonists, with different analogues showing varying potency at the numerous subtypes, and a wide range of synthetic xanthine derivatives have been developed in order to develop compounds with greater selectivity for phosphodiesterase enzyme or adenosine receptor subtypes.[2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] Xanthines are also found very rarely as constituents of nucleic acids.
STEVENSKI
I was talking with my dad last night about who the greatest athlete of the 2008 Olympics was. He said without any doubt it was Bolt. He put forward a interesting argument as well saying that there is only two things men do naturally that can be measured accuratley, run & jump. All other activities are unnatural such as swimming, cycling or use a instrument such as a shotput, ball, weight etc.

He then launched into a tirade about how it is pathetic that a person wins a gold medal for twirling a ribbon in gymnastics is worth the same as the fastest man over a distance or the highest jumper etc. He was pissed on wine but his description of how the rythmic gymnastics gold medal should be the size of a pea & the gold for the fastest runner should be 2 feet in diamater had me cracking up bigtime.

We then launched into a who is the greatest athlete ever & he said Bolt is the greatest athlete he has seen in his 65 years because when records are measured in 100'ths of a second & he is destroying them by 10'ths of a second & not winning by a cm but by metres shows how great he actually is. He is right by saying you can only measure a athlete by how dominant they are against their peers but the fact is that no one has ever shown the easy dominance that Bolt does.

Just though I would share that
lloyd mayflower
Im with Stevenski senior on that one, some of the sports at the olympics are a fucking joke, and while the subjects of ranting about olympic athletes is up here, the one i just had today was i think its a total disgrace that some, or actually, most of these immensely talented, dedicated sportsmen have hardly been heard of in your average household, but theres not a house in Britain that hasnt heard of some fat slag like Jade Goody. (for those who havent she was in reality tv and was a complete cunt).

Im sure even if you havent heard of her, you will have your own talent-vacuum version that gets their obnoxious face in the papers.

Rant over (for now)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.