Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs. Williams? Shane vs. Berto/Clottey?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
King Eugene
By Robert Morales

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, listened carefully when he was being told that fellow promoter Dan Goossen did not plan on waiting for Kelly Pavlik to fight Paul Williams in November or December.

Pavlik, the middleweight champion, on Monday postponed his Oct. 3 fight with Williams because of a recurring injury to his left hand. And Goossen on Tuesday said he really wants to get Williams back in the ring in October because he has not fought since April.

Schaefer was asked if "Sugar" Shane Mosley - a welterweight champion who fights under the Golden Boy banner - might be able to step in and take Pavlik's spot against Williams - a former welterweight champion and current interim junior middleweight champion.

First of all, Schaefer didn't think it would be wise for Williams to come back down to welterweight after he had been training for a middleweight fight. He also said Mosley really doesn't want to move up in weight.

"So why try to have Paul Williams do something which I think would be difficult to do in such a short period of time and try to drop to 147?" Schaefer said, referring to the welterweight limit. "If I would be Paul Williams' promoter, I would really focus more on those other eight classes."

Williams has fought as high as middleweight twice, although he weighed only 157 for both fights - three below the middleweight limit. But Goossen has always said that Williams could go as high as the 168-pound super middleweight class.

This gave Schaefer an intriguing idea.

"In case a Pavlik fight falls through, the fact is I have one name in mind and that would be Bernard Hopkins," Schaefer said. "Bernard physically can't make it below 170."

Schaefer said that he has had talks for a fight between Hopkins and cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek. Schaefer said a fight between Hopkins and the winner of the Chad Dawson-Glen Johnson light heavyweight title fight Nov. 7 is another possibility.

But a fight between the 44-year-old phenom Hopkins and Williams would probably bring the most fanfare.

"I would have to discuss it with Bernard," Schaefer said. "If I can get Bernard to 170 and if Paul Williams can get to 170 and take on the great Bernard Hopkins, that would be more of a call for Dan Goossen to make rather than Paul Williams having to chop off a leg to make 147.

"I think it's better to put some rocks in your pants rather than chop off a leg."

Mosley: Bring on Anyone

Mosley spoke with BoxingScene.com on Tuesday. He was asked about Williams.

ďAt this point, I'm not even discussing who I'm going to fight," Mosley said. "It doesn't really matter who I fight. Richard Schaefer is going to put the numbers together. Whatever makes the best sense, that's who I'm going to fight."

Mosley was pressed about Williams.

"I would step into the ring with anybody Richard picks," Mosley said. "I will fight anybody at this point."

Well, as Schaefer said, a fight between Mosley and Williams is not likely to happen. Besides, Schaefer indicated he is close to making a fight between Mosley and either fellow champion Andre Berto or former champion Joshua Clottey.

"I have had conversations with both of their promoters - Lou DiBella for Berto and Bob Arum for Clottey," Schaefer said Tuesday. "And I'm having discussions, frankly, as we speak this morning with HBO as it relates to the licensing fee so we can finalize a deal with either one of those two.

"And I've been having discussions with Richard Sturm (an executive at MGM Grand in Las Vegas) for Dec. 5 at MGM."

Promoters To Blame

Mosley was informed of a statement Golden Boy president Oscar De La Hoya made to this reporter during a recent interview.

De La Hoya, in complimentary fashion, said Mosley only had himself to blame for being on the bench since January. That's when Mosley dismantled Antonio Margarito over nine rounds of their welterweight title fight in Los Angeles.

"Shane put himself in a very difficult position because of his last fight with Antonio Margarito," De La Hoya said. "Obviously, nobody wants to fight him..."

The two guys Mosley really wanted were Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Mayweather is taking on the smaller Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 and Pacquiao is going to square off with Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14. Both of those fights are at welterweight - although both will be at catch-weights lower than the 147-pound limit.

Mosley is not pleased at how all of this is playing out.

"They are not getting the best fights out there," Mosley said.

"They are getting behind these fights with Mayweather fighting whoever he wants to fight and not getting behind Mayweather fighting the best fighter out there, and that is me. We have these guys promoting the 'best fights' and the best fighters are not in them.

"Nobody wants to lose to the best fighter, so they will fight the fighter underneath them and make the same amount of money or more. The thing with me, when I had the chance to fight Berto or Margarito, I chose Margarito. I would have made the same amount of money to fight Berto. I wanted Margarito because he was the best fighter.

"That is the difference between real fighters and fighters who want to make money."

To be sure, we asked Mosley if, when he said "they," he was indeed placing the blame at the feet of promoters. Keep in mind that Golden Boy promotes Marquez and is co-promoting his fight with Mayweather.

"Yeah, they're messing up the sport," Mosley said. "That is why UFC and all them MMA guys are getting high ratings, because they're fighting the best fighters. The promoters are not just trying to collect money."

Thus Mosley's bring-them-all-on attitude.

"That is why at this point I will fight anyone," he said. "I will go ahead and knock everybody out and then pretty soon I will cross everyone out and the best will have to fight the best."

It's hard to argue with Mosley. He would have been the best fighter either Pacquiao or Mayweather could have fought. Also the most difficult for Pacquiao and Mayweather to get a win against.

Schaefer responded to Mosley.

"It always takes two to make a fight and if you have two willing parties then it is the responsibility, in my opinion, for the promoter to make sure the fight can be done," Schaefer said. "Now if you have one guy who just doesn't want to fight the other one ... It is very apparent to me that at that particular point, Shane Mosley was not on Floyd Mayweather's radar screen. And, frankly, Shane was not on Manny Pacquiao's radar, either.

"Regardless of what Pacquiao's people say, I think they used Shane's name for negotiations with Cotto. Pacquiao did not want to fight Mosley. Shane had maybe the best fight of his professional career when he totally destroyed Margarito, so Oscar has a point."

Schaefer intimated Pacquiao knew exactly what he was doing all along. He noted that Pacquiao was ringside sitting next to Arum - who promotes Pacquiao - when Cotto (also promoted by Arum) narrowly defeated Clottey via split decision in June.

"He (Cotto) was OK and looked OK, but he didn't look spectacular in beating Clottey," Schaefer said. "During and after the fight, he (Pacquiao) told Bob to go and get the fight done."

Schaefer made it clear he was not saying that either Mayweather or Pacquiao are scared to take on Mosley. But ...

"I don't think Floyd Mayweather is avoiding Shane and I don't think Manny Pacquiao is avoiding Shane," Schaefer said. "Maybe at this point they both felt they have other opponents that are less dangerous than "Sugar" Shane Mosley. And they opted to go with the less dangerous option."

Schaefer said to be fair, Mayweather did reach out to Mosley for a fight a few years back and that Mosley indicated Mayweather was not on his proverbial radar screen at that time.

Either way, Schaefer said, he expects Mosley is going to eventually get what he wants. The only thing is, Mosley is going to be 38 next month and unless he is going to be the next Hopkins, time might be running out.

"I would say that Juan Manuel Marquez is not a walk in the park for Floyd Mayweather and I would say that Miguel Cotto is not a walk in the park for Manny Pacquiao," Schaefer said. "They are all good fights. As sports fans, as fight fans, we really are blessed to have some great showdowns ahead of us.

"You have names there that you can mix and match and they are all greats fights. It might seem that Shane is not in that mix right now, but he will be. Who is Mayweather going to fight next? Who is Manny Pacquiao going to fight next? Even Bob Arum admits that "Sugar" Shane Mosley is the best fighter at 147 pounds. And I agree with that. Eventually, all roads to lead to Sugarland."

Who are Mayweather and Pacquiao going to fight next if they win their next fights? Probably each other. That development could send Mosley over the edge.

Interesting article...
Hopkins vs. Williams?
Shane vs. Berto/Clottey?

I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
Method
Im more interested to see how Shane's relationship w Golden Boy plays out. Him being a partner in the company and putting them n blast in public is NOT a good look. This seems like it's coming to a head.
D-MARV
I don't really care to see PWill fight Hopkins at 170. I'm also not to high on him dropping to 147 to fight Mosley. PWill has filled in nicely and really looks good at 154 and 160. He should just fight Martinez or Dzinziruk.
Method
LOL.
streetlion1
Good article. I would think that P-will wants nothing to do with Hopkins....B-Hop would chop him up and knock him out. I think a Pavlik-Williams fight will still happen.....on the other side Mosley is now doing what the true best P4P fighter must do....call out anyone and everyone. Thats what sets guys like him apart from guys like Gayweather!

A fight between Mosley and either Berto or Clottey would be entertaining....for a few rounds at least but they arent on Shanes level either. One part of that article was dead-on....eventually all roads will lead to Sugarland...
Thegreatequalizer
it's all just hype. mosley says he'll fight anyone and then the promoter says, "well, williams shouldn't come down to welter, but mosley doesn't want to go above welter, so they shouldn't fight." if i heard williams say that he didn't want to fight at welter or didn't care about fighting mosley then i wouldn't care. but mosley keeps complaining about not having anyone to fight and there is one of the bigger names calling him out and he won't do it. i don't think williams should be dealing with anyone above jr. middle, so the hopkins fight is ridiculous. if williams isn't an important enough fighter for mosley to bother with then why the fuck would he be important enough for hopkins? would hopkins really bother to fight a welter/jr. middle guy and fight him above super middle? give me a break.
Method
Goosen and Williams were both calling out Hopkins too. Here's the oppty. Williams looked PLENTY comfortable putting it on Wink at 160. He has the frame to carry the weight. There it is.
Keith
Pwill vs X would be an interesting fight. X had problems with Slappys workrate and quickness.
D-MARV
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Aug 20 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Good article. I would think that P-will wants nothing to do with Hopkins....B-Hop would chop him up and knock him out. I think a Pavlik-Williams fight will still happen.....on the other side Mosley is now doing what the true best P4P fighter must do....call out anyone and everyone. Thats what sets guys like him apart from guys like Gayweather!

A fight between Mosley and either Berto or Clottey would be entertaining....for a few rounds at least but they arent on Shanes level either. One part of that article was dead-on....eventually all roads will lead to Sugarland...

LMFAO!

Bhop aint knocking Williams out.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 20 2009, 02:42 PM) *
Goosen and Williams were both calling out Hopkins too. Here's the oppty. Williams looked PLENTY comfortable putting it on Wink at 160. He has the frame to carry the weight. There it is.

Fuck it, make it happen!

kingknockout
someone get mosley a box of tissue
provo
Shane is a cry baby! No body wants 2 fight me ..awww poor shane .lol. He'll be leaving golden boy soon.
Mayweather and pac are not ducking shane ! Shane don't sel nobody wants to watch him fight anymore, JMM is a bigger draw,the mexican fans will be behind him and sept 19 is mexican independence day. Cotto has the puerto rican supporters! Mosley fought margarito in LA and got booed in his hometown !
And don't give me oh shanes best performance was against margarito ! Margarito got caught cheating before the fight who in the hell in the right state of mind would be thinking about fighting ,u kno he had shit on his mind!
Fuk shane stop crying and wait! All of sudden this man gets a divorce and grows balls.lol... I never seen him say shit to floyd when floyd would be at the press conference and talking shit on shane saying that's all shane is a damn sparring partner ! Shane didn't say shit! Then floyd was like " oh let me talk 2 his wife cause we all kno she wears the pants in the relationship!..LOL....
STEVENSKI
I seriously cannot believe all the crack babies that think Williams is some kind of god that will whip anyone. This is the same cat that was clearly outboxed by Quintana remember.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 20 2009, 11:43 PM) *
I seriously cannot believe all the crack babies that think Williams is some kind of god that will whip anyone. This is the same cat that was clearly outboxed by Quintana remember.

he seems to have learned from that loss tho stev... he lost to quintana but came back and 2 pieced him in 1 round and also beat a prime margarito and totally outclassed winky wright... sounds like a good fighter to me.. in the old days a fighter wasnt considered good till he suffered a good loss... too much is put into being undefeated these days...
King Eugene
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 20 2009, 09:35 PM) *
Fuck it, make it happen!

It might happen but its a long shot. Check this out...

By Mark Vester

If Bernard Hopkins is serious about a fight with Paul Williams, he will have to move down to 165-pounds to do it. George Peterson, trainer and manager of Williams, says the fight can happen at 165 but has no shot of taking place at Hopkins' requested weight of 170-pounds. Peterson says Williams' walking weight, right now, is around 150-pounds.

"We're really overdoing it consenting to 165 pounds," Peterson told the Augusta Chronicle. "For him to get there he just has to come down five pounds. But we have to come up 16 pounds. But we're willing to meet him there."

Peterson is not confident about the rescheduling of the postponed bout with WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. It was announced several days ago that Pavlik's staph infection had become worse of his left hand and their October 3 bout would have to be postponed. Williams' promoter Dan Goossen recently told BoxingScene.com's Robert Morales that he planned to bring Williams back in October, with or without Pavlik.

"We feel good about it that there's no way that this guy (Pavlik) can do anything with Paul Williams under no circumstances," said Peterson. "And they have realized that and they are coming out of the back door. That's all there is. As a result of that, I don't think it will happen."

Goossen says no matter how much weight Williams is willing to put on, or take off, the champions at 147, 154 and 160 are not running to step up.

"Paul has really established himself in really a short period of time and he has become the most feared fighter in the world," Goossen said. "That's really something that's frustrating to the other fighters. As you can see, the big fights will be made. They may be tough to be made and a lot of obstacles to be made because they're very reluctant to get in the ring with him. But on the other hand, it really hasn't stopped us from achieving what our dreams are."

Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingvester@gmail.com
Keith
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 21 2009, 12:43 AM) *

Agree 100%. He hasnt impressed me in a fight. I'd be more impressed if he had...

Beat up Margarito more like Mosley. PWill lost most of the second half of that fight.
Not lost to a B welter like Quintana. I dont care if he fixed it, it just proves he is not infallable.
TKO'd Winky. 37 yrs old and hadnt fought in 2 years. Winky was primed for TKO but PWill didnt have enough sting in his punches.

The Original MrFactor
I wouldnt mind seeing Williams/Hopkins. Its uphill for Williams, but it would be a 12 rouind fight with a good amount of action and drama. I'd much rather see Williams take on Clottey. Something about those two intrigues me. Maybe Williams should beat up all the guys around THE guys and then THE guys cant hide. Williams is willing to fight at least 4 times a year. Beat up all the contenders because most of them would probably fight him because of the outside chance that they'd win, plus theyd make some money for their trouble. Beat up all the contenders at 147 and 160 then the mayweathers and Pavliks can no longer run.
The Original MrFactor

It wasnt clearly. It was a very close fight if I remember. I think he learned his lesson since then. People shouldnt STILL be holding his feet to the fire because of youthful inexperience. He clearly cleared up all doubts in the rematch.
D-MARV

Picking Williams over Pavlik doesn't make ANYONE a crack baby.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 21 2009, 01:53 PM) *
Picking Williams over Pavlik doesn't make ANYONE a crack baby.

No but there are some who must be smoking the Sherms because they seem to think Paul can go to any weight & be a ass kicking machine.
D-MARV
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 21 2009, 10:39 AM) *
No but there are some who must be smoking the Sherms because they seem to think Paul can go to any weight & be a ass kicking machine.

I personally think he can be the top man at 154 and 160. But that has more to do with the lack of fighters in those divisions. Outside of Martinez and MAYBE Santos, I think PWill handles all of those fighters with ease. 168 is a whole different situation. Them guys can fight. Abraham, Froch, Ward, etc would be a tough task for Williams to tackle. He's not ready for that division yet.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 21 2009, 10:39 AM) *

Bring on The Klitschko's!!! Hopefully Williams bony arms can act as a spear and drive their chins and teeth fragments through the tops of their skulls... How's that Stevenski??
streetlion1
QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 20 2009, 04:00 PM) *
Pwill vs X would be an interesting fight. X had problems with Slappys workrate and quickness.

B-Hop would make Williams look silly and have him out in 10 rounds. P-Will throws alot but he doesnt have as fast of hands and doesnt have the movement of Slappy.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 21 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I personally think he can be the top man at 154 and 160. But that has more to do with the lack of fighters in those divisions. Outside of Martinez and MAYBE Santos, I think PWill handles all of those fighters with ease. 168 is a whole different situation. Them guys can fight. Abraham, Froch, Ward, etc would be a tough task for Williams to tackle. He's not ready for that division yet.

I agree. Flaws and all Williams beats everybody from 147-160 unless Mayweather comes back with a Sugar Ray Leonard kinda killer instinct. It would be an uphill battle for him but he could be trouble for Williams as Williams would be trouble for him and once again you gotta give credit to a fighter NO ONE seems to wanna fight it says a lot about that fighter. There is nothing to gain from a Hopkins fight but a loss for Hopkins and more excuses on why he loss. Williams should be in title matches from here on. Hopkins needs to make the Adomek fight then retire if he cant get Roy again. Im not remotely saying that Williams is unbeatable but unfortunately there's a lack of competition out there right now.
Method
unfortunately there's a lack of competition out there right now.
but he shouldn't fight Hopkins? Doesn't make sense.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 02:23 PM) *
but he shouldn't fight Hopkins? Doesn't make sense.

Besides more entertainment what does Williams have to gain by beating B-Hop? Nothing but a win over a great fighter at the end of his career. If the Winky fight didnt satisfy most why would a B-Hop fight? Proper management wouldn't be interested in a B-Hop fight for less than 4-5 mill other than that it's onward and upward. Let's rule 154-160 and if anything look to fight the winner of the 168 tournament. Let B-Hop ride off into the sunset so the next generation can do their thing
JD
Hopkins would take Williams apart.

Everyone Williams fan would be surprised when Williams was suddenly a whole lot less active, and being countered all night. Beating Hopkins at 170 is a whole different animal than beating an inactive Winky at 160. The Wright win was a good one, but nowhere near what a Hopkins win at 170 would be.
Thegreatequalizer
if williams beat hopkins, that would be huge for him. hopkins, regardless of his age, is one of the biggest names in boxing. if he were to beat him it would make him legendary, at least for the moment. but that being said, hopkins watches the blueprint that quintana laid out and embarrasses him. williams is a huge talent but he's still green. and just like williams is a nightmare for winky stylewise, hopkins is exactly the style that causes nightmares for williams. he'll pick him apart.
Method
QUOTE (Thegreatequalizer @ Aug 21 2009, 03:46 PM) *
if williams beat hopkins, that would be huge for him. hopkins, regardless of his age, is one of the biggest names in boxing. if he were to beat him it would make him legendary, at least for the moment. but that being said, hopkins watches the blueprint that quintana laid out and embarrasses him. williams is a huge talent but he's still green. and just like williams is a nightmare for winky stylewise, hopkins is exactly the style that causes nightmares for williams. he'll pick him apart.

Of course it would be, but these Williams nut huggers are scared shitless that he'd get beat up, so they try and skirt the prospect of the fight by saying the fight is meaningless, that it would only mean a loss for Hopkins. IF that's the case, it would be some legitimate exposure for Williams and a CAREER HIGH PAY DAY.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 06:03 PM) *
Of course it would be, but these Williams nut huggers are scared shitless that he'd get beat up, so they try and skirt the prospect of the fight by saying the fight is meaningless, that it would only mean a loss for Hopkins. IF that's the case, it would be some legitimate exposure for Williams and a CAREER HIGH PAY DAY.

No Nuthugger here but please tell me where Williams goes after beating Hopkins cause I think he would outwork boring Bernard? Out of his range to Dawson? 168 too soon? Williams should fight at 154-160 unless there's a lot of money involved with Bernard and Bernard comes down. Bernard should be gunning for Dawson, Adamek or Roy.
Keith
I had no idea there were so many PWill nuthuggers. The dude is a really good fighter and he is definitely someone to get excited about... but this idea that he can just about fight anybody from welter to light heavy and be the same PWill you saw beating up 147s and old/below average 54s+60s is ludicrous. Taking a well placed shot from a LHW like X or a Pavlik right bomb could damn well put his ass straight to sleep. I think he could give KP or X problems... but this crap floating around about his iron chin and punching power is a rep based on his welterweight resume consisting of Margarito and CQ. They were average punchers even at welter and not exactly A caliber skill wise.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 21 2009, 07:22 PM) *
I had no idea there were so many PWill nuthuggers. The dude is a really good fighter and he is definitely someone to get excited about... but this idea that he can just about fight anybody from welter to light heavy and be the same PWill you saw beating up 147s and old/below average 54s+60s is ludicrous. Taking a well placed shot from a LHW like X or a Pavlik right bomb could damn well put his ass straight to sleep. I think he could give KP or X problems... but this crap floating around about his iron chin and punching power is a rep based on his welterweight resume consisting of Margarito and CQ. They were average punchers even at welter and not exactly A caliber skill wise.

The fact is Pavlik has ice feet and doesn't seem to want no part of P Weezie and aside from a couple of dudes @154 nobody else wants none. As a boxing fan Im not extremely impressed by Paul as a fighter but I also give credit where it's due. There's a weak crop out there right now but you can't fault Paul for tryna get his in the midst of all that.
JD
I have no interest in seeing Williams go to 170, Hopkins would get zero credit for the win.

If the Pavlik fight is not going to happen, I would really like to see Williams fight Sergio Martinez.
Sugar Q
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 21 2009, 07:38 PM) *
I have no interest in seeing Williams go to 170, Hopkins would get zero credit for the win.

If the Pavlik fight is not going to happen, I would really like to see Williams fight Sergio Martinez.

I agree JD
JD
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Aug 21 2009, 07:43 PM) *
I agree JD

Williams may well become a super middle, but he isn't one now. Maybe by the time the Super Six is finished he decided to fight there...but for now, I think he should stay where he is comfortable.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 06:03 PM) *

I'm certain you have nothing against Marquez moving up to fight Mayweather?

Hopkins-Williams would be closer than you guys think but Hopkins wins clearly IMO. Williams would be more active but Hopkins will land the cleaner shots.
The Original MrFactor
I think Williams can beat Hopkins. I'd like to see him at 160 one more time before I flat out pick him. 170 may be too much too soon. However, Hyperactivity is the bane of Hopkins existence. I'd expect Hopkins/Williams to be alot like Hopkins/Taylor. The difference, I think, would be that Williams will not tire down the stretch. Taylor almost gave it away at the end of both matches. The other difference is that I dont think Hopkins has to worry too much about Williams power. He seemed a bit bothered by Taylors power. So maybe he'd be willing to take more risks against Williams.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 23 2009, 10:48 PM) *
I think Williams can beat Hopkins. I'd like to see him at 160 one more time before I flat out pick him. 170 may be too much too soon. However, Hyperactivity is the bane of Hokins existence. I'd expect Hopkins/Williams to be alot like Hopkins/Taylor. The differenc, I think, would be that Williams will not tire down the stretch. Taylor almost gave itr away at the end of both matches. The other difference is that I dont think Hopkins has to worry too much about Williams power. He seemed a bit bothered by Taylors power. So maybe he'd be willing to take more risks against Williams.

Great Post.

Hopkins wouldn't have to worry about PWill's power but his activity level would be something to worry about. If PWill can find a way to keep up his output then he has a great chance. You saw what happen when Calzaghe got into his rhythm... Nard couln't keep up. Interesting fight but will not likely happen.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Aug 21 2009, 05:56 PM) *
Bring on The Klitschko's!!! Hopefully Williams bony arms can act as a spear and drive their chins and teeth fragments through the tops of their skulls... How's that Stevenski??

A far more likely scenario is a cracked tooth that goes septic & he gets blood poisoning dying in a agonizing delirium with his brother cradling his head weeping uncontrollably.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Sugar Q @ Aug 22 2009, 12:18 AM) *
No Nuthugger here but please tell me where Williams goes after beating Hopkins cause I think he would outwork boring Bernard? Out of his range to Dawson? 168 too soon? Williams should fight at 154-160 unless there's a lot of money involved with Bernard and Bernard comes down. Bernard should be gunning for Dawson, Adamek or Roy.

Why should Nard come down? If Williams wants some come get some. Why does he not actually do some hard work at 160 become the #1 dog by EARNING it & then force a fight with the top dog? Or is that too hard work for a modern fighter?

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 22 2009, 12:38 AM) *

He may get zero credit but he would have my undying respect for shutting up the delusional Williams bandwagoners.
pacco_diablo
Paul Williams is the real deal. The sceptics will see that soon enough. He's one of the few fighters who will fight ANYONE within reason and it appears now out of reason. Williams has no business thinking 170 yet he's thinking about it. How could you not respect a fighter like that? He's not a showboater, not a complainer, or an excuse maker. He seems like a solid dude.

This is the part I dont get. People have favorite fighters and that makes them nuthuggers? A small percentage of people on here are flat out assholes. Just rotten jerks. If you dont agree with them they convert to childish name calling because I guess it makes them feel better. Cha Please! I guess that's just life though. They world has to have a certain amount of bitter pricks. It's beyond their control.
Method
Williams has no business thinking 170 yet he's thinking about it. How could you not respect a fighter like that?

I think you kind of have to reserve your respect until he actually does it, no?

You're saying he has no business there, and I don't see any sites out there reporting that he's thinking about it (admittedly I have been busy and haven't gotten around to all the sites today, so maybe I'm out of the loop).

I DO know they wanted to fight Hopkins. I know that they (he and Goosen) were calling him out. I'm just wondering what weight they thought they were going to be getting him at?

Note: I am not talking about the last two weeks' developments, but rather in the past few months. Team Williams and Goosen were calling Hopkins out. Seriously, what weight were they expecting the fight to be at? I would ASSUME at the very LEAST 168, and IF that is the case, then what the fuck is the difference if it's at 170?
JD
If Hopkins - Williams happens at 168 or 170, I think it will be hilarious to see the same guys that are bashing Pac for fighting Cotto at 145 and not 147, gush over Williams fighting Hopkins at 168 or 170 and not 175.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 25 2009, 03:10 PM) *
If Hopkins - Williams happens at 168 or 170, I think it will be hilarious to see the same guys that are bashing Pac for fighting Cotto at 145 and not 147, gush over Williams fighting Hopkins at 168 or 170 and not 175.

If it was for the light heavyweight championship of world and PWill demanded it be, then I would be first in line to call Williams a bitch!

I just want to see the same people that BASH Mayweather for fight JMM at 144 Bash Hopkins for fighting a middleweight.
JD
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 25 2009, 06:44 PM) *
If it was for the light heavyweight championship of world and PWill demanded it be, then I would be first in line to call Williams a bitch!

I just want to see the same people that BASH Mayweather for fight JMM at 144 Bash Hopkins for fighting a middleweight.

LOL. Ok...

If all these guys want these fights, have at it. Personally I have zero interest in Hopkins - Williams, and would prefer Hopkins - Adamek. I have zero interest in Mayweather - Marquez and would prefer Mosley - Mayweather.

I do have an interest on Cotto - Pacquiao though, terrific fight in my view.

That said, if these guys want the fights at these weights...fine by me as long as the best fight the best.

But again, I think it is going to be a riot to see the hypocrisy.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Aug 25 2009, 02:52 PM) *
Paul Williams is the real deal. The sceptics will see that soon enough. He's one of the few fighters who will fight ANYONE within reason and it appears now out of reason. Williams has no business thinking 170 yet he's thinking about it. How could you not respect a fighter like that? He's not a showboater, not a complainer, or an excuse maker. He seems like a solid dude.

This is the part I dont get. People have favorite fighters and that makes them nuthuggers? A small percentage of people on here are flat out assholes. Just rotten jerks. If you dont agree with them they convert to childish name calling because I guess it makes them feel better. Cha Please! I guess that's just life though. They world has to have a certain amount of bitter pricks. It's beyond their control.

I am waiting to see. There is no possible way to know if he is the real deal yet. Sorry, but his last couple of opponents do not convince me yet. Remember everyone hyping Ortiz as the next great thing? Paul realistically needs some better comp to see what he is really made of. But I have seen lots of improvement from him each time out.

I love PW attitude, he is a real fighter. And I love the fact he seems willing to prove he is as good as he says. Time will tell.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 25 2009, 07:08 PM) *
LOL. Ok...

If all these guys want these fights, have at it. Personally I have zero interest in Hopkins - Williams, and would prefer Hopkins - Adamek. I have zero interest in Mayweather - Marquez and would prefer Mosley - Mayweather.

I do have an interest on Cotto - Pacquiao though, terrific fight in my view.

That said, if these guys want the fights at these weights...fine by me as long as the best fight the best.

But again, I think it is going to be a riot to see the hypocrisy.

I agree... If the fighters want to make these fights then fuck it. Let's do it.

I have no problem with Cotto-Pacquaio (should be a great fight, for as long as it lasts.) But don't sit there and bitch and complain about making the fight for the welterweight championship and not even fight at the limit. That is plain silly!

Take Hopkins for example. when he moved up to fight Tarver for the Light Heavyweight title, he didn't say "Hey Look, I want you're title but I don't want to fight at you're weight. Let's fight a 172 for a 175lb title." FUCK THAT. If you want the title then move the fuck up and fight for the title. If PWill wants to fight Hopkins at 170 (where Hopkins has fought his last 2 fights) then fine. Make the fight. But the first time I hear PWill demand this fight be for the light Heavyweight title, then I'll call his bluff.
JD
Cotto weighed 146 for Clottey, I really do not see the pound as an issue.

JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 25 2009, 08:55 PM) *
Well maybe, maybe not. If it isn't an issue, why is Pacquiao so intent on having it?

Because Cotto really wanted this fight and said 145 in the beginning. So that was the number they agreed upon. When Cotto said 145 from jump there was no reason not to hold him to it. If Cotto said 143, I am sure they would have taken that. Roach tried for more but in the end, Pacquiao didn't care and the fight got done at a weight they were both fine with.

Williams fighting Hopkins at 168 or 170 is no different, and if both guys agree upon it...have at it, it's their choice.

Just as long as the best fight the best.
singletrack
QUOTE (JD @ Aug 25 2009, 08:54 PM) *
Cotto weighed 146 for Clottey, I really do not see the pound as an issue.

I think it could bother him slightly. He has put on a tremendous amount of muscle mass - look at his legs. 144 would have been a bigger issue.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.