Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roy and Bernard going at it live on the Calvin Murphy Show
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
getup
Did anyone just catch the Calvin Murphy radio show in Houston.......apparently Bernard and Roy were both on they went at each other.

getup
-
King Eugene
INTERESTING!!!
ezdoseit
roy by ud b hop dnt want it with roy. he been duckin roy for years now if roy is so over the hill winner takes all sounds great right b hop or should i say holdin azz hopkins
getup
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 20 2009, 10:47 PM) *
Why did you edit all your posts?

Sorry guys, couldn't view my posts...something weird.

Nay_Sayer
Link to a clip of the show?
EirbinX
B hop By UD 118 - 110
EirbinX
i found a link

http://www.975theticket.com/TicketOnline/P...78/Default.aspx
King Eugene
He also speaks on Paul Williams as well.
Spyder
That was one of the BEST radio segments I've ever heard!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'm no fan of Roid but I love the way Hopkins wants no part of that 60/40 deal. Bernard's being skirting that one for a couple of years. I think Roid is still pretty much done (regardless of the Lacy fight) but for some reason I still like him against Hopkins in a boring fight.

Roy's legs are gone but does Hopkins have the output to exploit that? I'm not so sure.
The Original MrFactor
Roy's reverse psychology is soooo obvious. This was great stuff...
The Original MrFactor
60 to the winner, 40 to the loser!! funny stuff...
Method
Hopkins is NEVER gonna give Roy anything more than 40%. All those years of shitty offers from Roy ($3M dollar offer of a $15M pot AFTER Hopkins beat Trinidad? Are you SERIOUS?), and the bottom line is Hopkins DOES NOT NEED Roy Jones. Roy can keep fighting for peanuts in corn fields, amusement parks and shitty homemade PPV cards. Roy's gonna take the 40% or he ain't getting the fight.
ezdoseit
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 09:20 AM) *
Hopkins is NEVER gonna give Roy anything more than 40%. All those years of shitty offers from Roy ($3M dollar offer of a $15M pot AFTER Hopkins beat Trinidad? Are you SERIOUS?), and the bottom line is Hopkins DOES NOT NEED Roy Jones. Roy can keep fighting for peanuts in corn fields, amusement parks and shitty homemade PPV cards. Roy's gonna take the 40% or he ain't getting the fight.

ok if thats the case 60-40 to the winner should be fine for holdin azz hopkins. anyway he will never take the fight as we all see. remember in the first fight b hop aint win a round. i bet u he still remembers that azz whoppin lol
D-MARV
60-40 to the winner is fair.
hitman
hopkins don't want it with roy. despite all the talk, he never has.
streetlion1
LMFAO at people who say B-Hop dont want it with Roy or who even think old Roy has a chance at winning!! B-Hop would destroy Roy now!! He's been calling for a fight with Roy the past few years!

If people think the ass whoopin Roy took against Slappy was bad....B-Hop K.O.s Roy in the late rounds after toying with him and exposing just how done he really is. Dont let the Lacy fight fool you!!!

Bernard should whoop on someone with relevance not old Roy who is just clinging to the bottem rung and looking for another big payday.....dont give Roy a chance until he beats a REAL someone!
getup
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 10:20 AM) *

Hopkins didn't mention that the $3M was what he was "clearing" because of his deal with King, whom I believe stood to make 50% off the top of Hopkins side of the pot.

Method
Nope. Never gonna happen. Nor should it. Nor has it ever, for that matter.
Method
QUOTE (getup @ Aug 21 2009, 12:23 PM) *
Hopkins didn't mention that the $3M was what he was "clearing" because of his deal with King, whom I believe stood to make 50% off the top of Hopkins side of the pot.

SO you're claiming Roy offered Hopkins a 50/50 split? No. Sorry. Everyone knows he wanted lions share of purse, and lion's share of rubber match, should he lose rematch. This is just common knowledge.
getup
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 12:32 PM) *
SO you're claiming Roy offered Hopkins a 50/50 split? No. Sorry. Everyone knows he wanted lions share of purse, and lion's share of rubber match, should he lose rematch. This is just common knowledge.

No it was a 60/40 split.....there was 14-15 mill in the pot, so Roy's side stood to make 8-9 while Hop's side stood to make around 6+, but King was taking a big bite....hence Hop's $3M clearance.
The Original MrFactor
My biggest concern was all the hate Hopkins has for McNabb... He lost a little respect with me on that. Last time I checked, Philly aint won no Superbowls with ANY QB they had. The QB aint the problem in Philly. McNabb is a solid guy who can get them there, but he's always gonna need help like any other QB.

Then this crap about not looking at Hopkins. McNabb doesnt have to look at Hopkins in his face. I dont take that as fear or that he's less of a man. I think its because he's disgusted with him or just doesnt like Hopkins, probably because of all the vitriol. I like that Hopkins is a typical Philly sports fan. Philly is probably the most difficult town to play in. The fans there can be a little unrealistic in their demands at times.
getup
QUOTE (getup @ Aug 21 2009, 12:45 PM) *
No it was a 60/40 split.....there was 14-15 mill in the pot, so Roy's side stood to make 8-9 while Hop's side stood to make around 6+, but King was taking a big bite....hence Hop's $3M clearance.

Actually I remember reading that they were getting even closer (i.e. 55-45 type split), but irregardless Hopkins despised the contract he was tied to with King
Method
...and of the rubber match demands.

Note Roy wasn't talkin no 60 to winner/40 to the loser shit back then. Only now that he's desperate...and STILL too proud.
JLUVBABY
truth is splitting the pot 60-40 or whatever for the winner and loser is the way it should be... more insentive for the fighters to come in and give their all...
getup
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 12:54 PM) *
...and of the rubber match demands.

Note Roy wasn't talkin no 60 to winner/40 to the loser shit back then. Only now that he's desperate...and STILL too proud.

Not sure if we're on same page.......I'm talking post Trinidad when the $15M pot was gathered and there was no proposed rematch clause....or at least anything that either fighter complained about.

Around that time I remember Bernard had an interview on OTR in Canada and he went on about how he didn't want to split the money from the proposed Roy fight with Don King, and didn't want to waste any superfights while under Kings banner (Hakkar & Joppy followed). But even if King was out I think Hopkins was smart enough to stay away from Roy and wait for eventual easier/bigger money (Oscar).

Is Roy extremely proud? Absolutely, so given both egos the 60 winner proposition is great and they could really run with that in the promotion....but Hopkins doesn't want to roll (whether he fears losing to Roy, his ego, whatever).

It's just he sounded very uncomfortable last night (granted he didn't expect Roy to actually call in). On the hand he charged that Roy isn't relevant but then warmed up to getting it on with Roy (if it's 60/40 in his favor)? He went on about taking legacy fights and claimed that Adamek would do more for him.....but if Roy's agrees to the split, then Bernard would be interested? (hence Roy would then be relevant and do more for his legacy? Why the turnaround?)

Frankly, I don't think Roy would lose sleep if they don't fight and probably vice versa....but boy what electricity between the two. As Hopkins said "what are the ratings for this hour?!"
Spyder
"When you said winner take all you ran him off the phone! He gone!!"

LMAO!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
rusty_trombone
I seriously doubt this fight will ever happen, and don't really care if it does at this point. What does a fight between geriatrics prove? We all know that shit would be far from entertaining, just watch the first fight.

I have always thought, that in their primes, Roy would have always been too much for Hopkins. Bad style matchup for B-Hop, and we all know who has the more natural ability. Hopkins, with all his technical prowess, would have always been overmatched. It doesn't matter though, this fight will never happen.
Method
Is Roy extremely proud? Absolutely, so given both egos the 60 winner proposition is great and they could really run with that in the promotion....but Hopkins doesn't want to roll (whether he fears losing to Roy, his ego, whatever).

They may both have big egos, but only ONE of them is justified at this point in their respective careers. If the size of one's ego predicated the purse split guys should rightfully be entitled to, then NO fights would get made. I could see Roy being REMOTELY entitled to a chance to fight for 60% if he had DONE ANYTHING in the past 5 years, but the REALITY it that he hasn't.

Their first fight in '93 was a competitive affair. Any attempt to paint it as a one-handed ass-whuppin or anything close to an ass whupping either hasn't seen the fight or is just delusional. Roy's speed wasn't that big a factor then, and he has only gotten WORSE over the years, while Hopkins is still doing his thing.

Im just amazed that Hopkins can annihilate Glenn Johnson, beat the SHIT out of Tarver, Pavlik, and arguably BEAT Calzaghe, yet Roy gets beat from Pillar to post by all three guys, NOT EVEN REMOTELY COMPETITIVE, and people thinks he takes it to Bernard. Don't anybody try and feed me the "styles make fights" cliche. I know all about it, but Roy ain't even COMPETITIVE. I mean, styles make fights if you're talking a common opponent here and there, but to look at THREE recent (and although Hopkins fought Glenn long ago, Glenn is the SAME guy) opponents and the outcomes are NIGHT and DAY! Night and day. Oh, wait, but Big Roy is back in Little Roy's corner. Well, Little ROy wasn't singing that tune in the 3rd Tarver fight, when Roy BLAMED the loss on Big Roy. This is a joke.

Hopkins ain't gonna give Roy a platform to be in the public light. That's just the reality of it.
Douchebag
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 06:01 PM) *
They may both have big egos, but only ONE of them is justified at this point in their respective careers. If the size of one's ego predicated the purse split guys should rightfully be entitled to, then NO fights would get made. I could see Roy being REMOTELY entitled to a chance to fight for 60% if he had DONE ANYTHING in the past 5 years, but the REALITY it that he hasn't.

Their first fight in '93 was a competitive affair. Any attempt to paint it as a one-handed ass-whuppin or anything close to an ass whupping either hasn't seen the fight or is just delusional. Roy's speed wasn't that big a factor then, and he has only gotten WORSE over the years, while Hopkins is still doing his thing.

Im just amazed that Hopkins can annihilate Glenn Johnson, beat the SHIT out of Tarver, Pavlik, and arguably BEAT Calzaghe, yet Roy gets beat from Pillar to post by all three guys, NOT EVEN REMOTELY COMPETITIVE, and people thinks he takes it to Bernard. Don't anybody try and feed me the "styles make fights" cliche. I know all about it, but Roy ain't even COMPETITIVE. I mean, styles make fights if you're talking a common opponent here and there, but to look at THREE recent (and although Hopkins fought Glenn long ago, Glenn is the SAME guy) opponents and the outcomes are NIGHT and DAY! Night and day. Oh, wait, but Big Roy is back in Little Roy's corner. Well, Little ROy wasn't singing that tune in the 3rd Tarver fight, when Roy BLAMED the loss on Big Roy. This is a joke.

Hopkins ain't gonna give Roy a platform to be in the public light. That's just the reality of it.

I'm with you with Coffee and Tarver but I think that the cut had a lot to due with the outcome of the Calfaggy fight. Up until the cut he was doing better than Hop was in the fight with Joe.
JD
Bernard is on HBO without Roy.

Roy is square ring PPV's netting 800 buys without Bernard.
Sugar Q
No matter how you slice it real talk is 60 to the winner 40 to the loser. Roy has been to the mountain top Bernard hasn't and how dare Bernard compare himself to either Hagler or Robinson. During Hagler's reign Bernard wouldn't have been more than a contender and Robinson didnt' just come up from 160 he came up from 147. If you really wanna get fly Ray Leonard and Tommy Hearns won titles from 147-175. Roy won titles from 160 to Heavy. B-Hop is good but his 20 defenses are suspect as hell. His biggest wins were against guys who were soundly beaten at lower weights.
The CEO
lol...I predict this thread will go at least 3 more pages...

HaydelHammer
"NO..I keep tellin ya you lost him I don't know what you waitin on"
ezdoseit
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Aug 21 2009, 11:21 AM) *
LMFAO at people who say B-Hop dont want it with Roy or who even think old Roy has a chance at winning!! B-Hop would destroy Roy now!! He's been calling for a fight with Roy the past few years!

If people think the ass whoopin Roy took against Slappy was bad....B-Hop K.O.s Roy in the late rounds after toying with him and exposing just how done he really is. Dont let the Lacy fight fool you!!!

Bernard should whoop on someone with relevance not old Roy who is just clinging to the bottem rung and looking for another big payday.....dont give Roy a chance until he beats a REAL someone!

look i know roy aint the same fighter but come on who was the last fight b hop stoped i cant remember can u
Method
No matter how you slice it real talk is 60 to the winner 40 to the loser. Roy has been to the mountain top Bernard hasn'

"Real Talk" was NEVER 60 to the winner, 40 to the loser when Roy was relevant. Only now is he throwing it out there solely because he refuses to have to completely bow down. Fuck it. Roy is the president of his company and calls his own shots, yet calling his own shots has him fighting in cornfields and such. Ain't nothing worth bragging about there. Roy is garbage, so much so that no network will pick him up.

This is ALL about all those years Roy tried to make Ex suck hind tit. You heard Hopkins in the radio - "I don't care about the size of the pot, but you're taking the smaller percentage of it". It's not about the overall money. It's about the principle. Roy is IRRELEVANT at this point.

look i know roy aint the same fighter but come on who was the last fight b hop stoped i cant remember can u

I know BHop kicked the living dogshit out of two gys that BRUTALLY stopped Roy, and went at LEAST neck in neck with another guy who just embarrassed the shit outta Roy.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 06:01 PM) *

Problem is, all the fights were Roy got worked, I think he was far past his prime, I really don't think you can use those fights a measuring stick as how they would have performed against each other during their respective heydays. Now, I don't even bother to compare the 2, Hopkins has aged way better than Roy. I don't think Roy has been good since the Ruiz fight, and certainly no where near his prime.

The Jones-Hopkins fight that did happen, Hopkins lost. Sure, he didn't get his ass whooped, but I don't think the fight ever really needed to happen again. If they would have fought in 97 or 98, I still think Hopkins loses, in the same boring ass safety first way he lost the first time.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 07:45 PM) *
This is ALL about all those years Roy tried to make Ex suck hind tit. You heard Hopkins in the radio - "I don't care about the size of the pot, but you're taking the smaller percentage of it". It's not about the overall money. It's about the principle. Roy is IRRELEVANT at this point.

I agree with you, but Hopkins should have probably been a smarter business man about it. Roy definitely is irrelevant now, and Hopkins is damn close to being irrelevant. And not because he isn't winning, but because I'm just tired of seeing the man fight.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 21 2009, 07:59 PM) *
What a horrible post. Hopkins is an all time great and will go down as one of the all time middle greats and he would have been nothing more than just a contender in Hagler's era? I can't believe what little respect you are showing Hopkins.

I would pick Hagler, Hearns and Sugar Ray against Hopkins. Closest fight with Hearns. Not saying that Hopkins has no chance, and would be competitive, but I would expect to see him lose those fights.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 07:45 PM) *
"Real Talk" was NEVER 60 to the winner, 40 to the loser when Roy was relevant. Only now is he throwing it out there solely because he refuses to have to completely bow down. Fuck it. Roy is the president of his company and calls his own shots, yet calling his own shots has him fighting in cornfields and such. Ain't nothing worth bragging about there. Roy is garbage, so much so that no network will pick him up.

I know BHop kicked the living dogshit out of two gys that BRUTALLY stopped Roy, and went at LEAST neck in neck with another guy who just embarrassed the shit outta Roy.

Yeah Roy may be fighting in cornfields but Nard can't take a dump without first running it past De la Fishnets.

Mean Mister Mustard
Jones needs Hopkins and wants him bad. The reason is because Hopkins, who is riding big off his win over Pavlik, is relevant and Jones is not. He would rather face Hopkins because there's a reward and not too much risk. He knows Hopkins is not going to come out guns blazing like Johnson or Calzaghe and he has a better shot at beating Hopkins than he has against Dawson. A loss against the young gun would force him to restart his comeback all over again, if at all. A win over Hopkins though, would put him right back in the mix for sure. How do I know? Well just look at what happened after the 3rd Tarver fight. His performance was embarassing and all it took for him to get a title shot again was to beat one mediocre fighter, an undefeated fighter and a smaller Trinidad. Hell, even now after beating an inactive Sheika and a ruined Lacy he's being given consideration to fight Hopkins. Jones has that famous name and he knows all he needs is a couple of wins, doesn't matter against who and he will have that title shot within reach.
torvix2000
Roy will beat Hopkins again. And Hops knows that. Simple. So No mas.
Method
Yeah Roy may be fighting in cornfields but Nard can't take a dump without first running it past De la Fishnets.
For example?

I'd take Hopkins over all three - Hearns & SRL definitely, and Hopkins is just a more complete fighter than Hagler. Again, that's just the reality of it. Tommy Hearns has NOTHING on Hopkins, nor does SRL, esp those two at Middie. Hagler is a tougher fight, but again, Hopkins more complete, versatile.

That has nothing to do with nothing, though. This is about Roy being irrelevant.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 08:32 PM) *
That has nothing to do with nothing, though. This is about Roy being irrelevant.

That is true, and I think a fight between the two of them would be pointless and a snoozer
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Irrelevant or not Roy and b-hops have some history together. I'd be very interested to see a poll on who hardcore fans think does the bigger numbers on PPV.

Hopkins v. Jones Jr
Hopkins v. Dawson
Hopkins v. Adamek

To my mind despite Roy being waaay past his prime Jones/Hopkins easily does more paper than the other 2.

Despite his appalling fall from grace in the last 5 years Roy would still be at least 50% of the attraction in the rematch. I'd like to see a winner/loser 60/40 split if only because it would be a bit different and might add some spice to the deal. Lets face it neither guy is exactly going to come out poor from that fight.

D-MARV
QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 21 2009, 05:01 PM) *
"When you said winner take all you ran him off the phone! He gone!!"

LMAO!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I was in tears laughing at that shit! LOL
D-MARV
Personally, I don't think many people give two fucks about either fighter. Both of them need to retire. The fight to make at light Heavy is Pascal-Dawson.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 21 2009, 08:55 PM) *
Personally, I don't think many people give two fucks about either fighter. Both of them need to retire. The fight to make at light Heavy is Pascal-Dawson.

This I think would be closer to the truth. Both guys should step aside.
MarzB
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 21 2009, 07:32 PM) *
For example?

I'd take Hopkins over all three - Hearns & SRL definitely, and Hopkins is just a more complete fighter than Hagler. Again, that's just the reality of it. Tommy Hearns has NOTHING on Hopkins, nor does SRL, esp those two at Middie. Hagler is a tougher fight, but again, Hopkins more complete, versatile.

You're kidding me right?? Does Hopkins lose to ANY middleweight in your eyes? Tommy and Marvin would outbox Hopkins period. Hopkins would try that one punch, hit and hold and butt bullschit against those guys and they'd merely step aside. I love Hopkins but Hopkins isn't seeing those guys. I'll tell you another name that Hopkins would have had HELL against and thats Mike McCallum (prime). But back to Hagler and Hearns, for Hopkins to win that fight he's got to let his hands go.

Hopkins will ONLY do that when he knows he has the speed advantage otherwise he'll revert to turning it into an ugly fight.

Back to the present. HOPKINS IS FULL OF SHIT HERE. From the highlights I read (haven't downloaded it yet). Yeah Meth you can criticize Roy all you want for fighting in Boise and all that but if Roy is so washed up why not have Hopkins easily take the 60 percent?? How ironic we're back to this "60 - 40" figure again,lol.

I find it totally hilarious how this number is being tossed around. Hopkins wouldn't take it when clearly Roy was the draw and now he's reversed it? The bottom line is this fight would indeed be a marketable fight but when Hopkins made this comment here (and I'm basing this off of what was posted on FightNews)

RJ: How about 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser
BH: Now you want to make a contest out of it. I don't need Roy Jones. It could wind up in the judges hands and you never know what will happen.

There is NO WAY to disguise this, HOPKINS HAS DOUBTS! Also, this statement here.
BH: Do you think I would make more money fighting Roy Jones than I would a young stud like Adamek or Dawson?

There's someone in here let alone Bernard Hopkins himself that believes this?? I love Bernard but this statement totally exceeds some of the bullschit he's said in the past (predicting on ESPN Friday Night Fights that "GAtti would beat Floyd", "Oscar won" with regard to the Mayweather fight decision). I'll pose the above to anyone, does anyone here ROY/ROID haters believe ADAMEK and/or DAWSON would be more marketable and lucrative than HOPKINS vs. JONES II???
RJ: Bernard doesn't want to fight me. Why would he want to fight me? He's having fun now at this point in his career. He doesn't want to take that gamble.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! Why else would he mention "going to the judges"?? Talk about speaking in doubt. I've never heard anything LIKE that coming from 'Nards mouth.

Advantage Roy here. I'm gonna download it and listen to now..

PS: not sure what happened to the fonts here..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.