Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather-Marquez Also Planned For Closed Circut
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Here is our story:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5538.html

And my thoughts:

Golden Boy Promotions is planning to show Mayweather-Marquez on closed-circuit theaters as well as PPV. The site below also contains a URL list of participating theaters arranged by State. I think this is very good for boxing because it will create a general public awareness of the fight for people that don't have cable, dish or PPV:

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Sports/MayweathervsMarquez.aspx

The only criticism is that this does not exactly figure to be Corrales-Castillo I in there due to the fact that both boxers are slick skilled counter-punchers. It would be better if this was two "shoot for the fences" bangers in there. If Floyd were fighting Manny, you would be more inclined to see that because Manny will force Floyd to "fight." Something that he hasn't had to do since Castillo I. I just hope the general public who does not know boxing like we do is not left disappointed.

How well do you believe people will respond to the closed circuit telecast?

Jack
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 24 2009, 04:18 PM) *
Here is our story:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content5538.html

And my thoughts:

Golden Boy Promotions is planning to show Mayweather-Marquez on closed-circuit theaters as well as PPV. The site below also contains a URL list of participating theaters arranged by State. I think this is very good for boxing because it will create a general public awareness of the fight for people that don't have cable, dish or PPV:

http://www.ncm.com/Fathom/Sports/MayweathervsMarquez.aspx

The only criticism is that this does not exactly figure to be Corrales-Castillo I in there due to the fact that both boxers are slick skilled counter-punchers. It would be better if this was two "shoot for the fences" bangers in there. If Floyd were fighting Manny, you would be more inclined to see that because Manny will force Floyd to "fight." Something that he hasn't had to do since Castillo I. I just hope the general public who does not know boxing like we do is not left disappointed.

How well do you believe people will respond to the closed circuit telecast?

Jack

The good thing is, the undercard should be good even if the main even isn't.
lloyd mayflower
This is def a good thing, it gives this fight much more of a platform to be sociable event. What i mean is maybe groups of guys going out somewhere for a beer might see that and think, well fuck it we'll go there. It should create a much bigger audience and hopefully get more eople paying attention
MarzB
Good- Although I'd rather see it in a sports bar if I didn't have the option to buy it at home, anything that brings boxing out to the masses I'm all for.

I'm sure the May haters will figure out a way to besmirch this idea
lloyd mayflower
Im not going to besmirch it, but if was to do so, id say that u can bet your bottom dollar that May will claim every entry tickets sold is a ppv buy to further fuel his lies about how massive a draw he is.

But like i said, im not going to
EirbinX
i personally hate floyd but im actually gonna go see it now that its gonna be in the theatres as opposed to when it was on ppv 50 bucks is kinda alot i rather spend 12 to 15 on it
torvix2000
Good idead. But I hope it doesn't backfire.

A lot of people are saying that JMM's skills will make this fight competitive. However, those skills also have the possibility of making this fight a runnerfest. And you know where's the "backfire" part in it.
MarzB
Question for anyone who's ever been to a "closed circuit" (from the 80's) before.

If this is going to be in movie theatres, is this the RIGHT thing to do with regard to alcohol sales? I remember as a kid my dad and his friends bringing me along and the movie threatre would somehow have alcohol there. I just recall distinctly them drinking beers.

But nowadays with licensing/zoning issues I'm curious if they'll do this becaues most guys will want to have something while watching the fight. Most importantly I can't see someone missing out on that money.

I guess my question is, does anyone else recall during the PAY PER VIEW days at Movie Threatres if there indeed was beer/alcohol there?
provo
This is good for boxing !smart move. Mayweather is just making his name bigger! after this victory he will be a bigger draw and more known!
The only bad thing is ! I like to Drink some cold ones while watching the fights.lol....
Mayweather is going 2 dominate JMM ! So the world can see! ...
Spyder
Makes no difference to me.

The closest theater showing it is 36 miles south of me, the local bar is 5 blocks...I'm going to the bar.
Jack 1000
The last closed circuit fight was in June of 1996 with Delahoya-Chavez I. Despite doing well in several Hispanic, Latin-American, Latino, and Mexican venues, the overall sales of the PPV bombed. This was the fight that Arum would not distribute to PPV because of signal piracy concerns.

However, the poor sales and the one-sided nature of the fight, fortunately forced promoters to keep the big fights on PPV and off of closed-circuit. I am not convinced that Mayweather has the kind of star power to draw fans to this fight. Marquez has greater potential with the two close fights against Pacquaio. However, the same opponent is missing from the equation to show a greater potential for closed circuit success. It should be Pacquiao-Mayweather, or Pacquaio-Marquez III.

The big plus is the great price for the closed-circuit show at only $12-$15 per ticket. This could off-set the high cost of the $54.95 PPV price. If this fight is good and gets fans talking about boxing in a positive way, I think that's great.

Jack
Jack 1000
My understanding ths the only difference is the cost, about $15 for the closed circuit vs. $55 for the PPV. There was a point about people buying the concession food and if alcohol would be there that it would bring the cost up, maybe to within only a $5.00 difference. But don't quote me on that. I haven't done a closed circuit since...holy shit, Leonard-Hagler, I think because for years and years following that, we had PPV.

But than when we got All in One Cable, I stopped getting PPV altogether. It became too expensive, and as long as I could see the round by round stuff and watch the replay the following week, I am happy.

I think for the theater patrons, Juarez-John II needs to be and should be good. Judah's fighting the dreaded TBA so WTF is that shit? There really should be TWO quality world title fights for the viewers of the live card.

Pretend your a promoter, and with this being the first-time return of closed circuit TV boxing, since Delahoya-Chavez I, instead of Judah fighting, put a great fight in its place that would make the under-card great, even if for whatever reason the main event isn't.

Jack
thehype
I'm thinking the whole reason for showing it in movie theaters at a reduced cost is to make up for a lack of PPV sales they're anticipating.
Method
I'm thinking the whole reason for showing it in movie theaters at a reduced cost is to make up for a lack of PPV sales they're anticipating.

BINGO! We have a winner!

To add to that, I'm curious as to how much money those theaters themselves might lose choosing to show the fight at that time as opposed to an in-demand, feature film in the same time slot.
MarzB
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 27 2009, 09:35 AM) *
BINGO! We have a winner!

To add to that, I'm curious as to how much money those theaters themselves might lose choosing to show the fight at that time as opposed to an in-demand, feature film in the same time slot.

I know you hate Mayweather and all but don't you think this is a bit presumptuous?? Have you been to the movies lately?? When was the last time you've actually been in a movie threatre where it was filled to capacity?? I've seen Wolverine, Inglorious Basterds and that friggin Harry Potter (sighing). Those are blockbuster flicks this year and I live in a major metropolitan area, went to a popular theatre to see those adn they weren't filled to capacity. That was on a Friday night I saw those. This will be on a Saturday night so stop acting like it's going to interfere with some other movie that you're alleging would be making more.

In addition, no theatre manager worth their salt would bring in something like this and bump a BLOCKBUSTER movie in it's place. I don't know what types of theatres these will be iin but I'm sure they'll bump out a movie that had low tickets sales.

I thought the whole point of this was to expose boxing events to the person who doesn't want to shell out the full PAY PER VIEW. AGain, whats so wrong with wanting to expose boxing (MAYWEATHER OR NOT mind you) to the masses?? The promoters (that includes Mayweather's shell company along with GBP and others) are doing a HORRIBLE job of getting it featured on regular and non premium television.
thehype
QUOTE (MarzB @ Aug 27 2009, 11:14 AM) *
I thought the whole point of this was to expose boxing events to the person who doesn't want to shell out the full PAY PER VIEW. AGain, whats so wrong with wanting to expose boxing (MAYWEATHER OR NOT mind you) to the masses?? The promoters (that includes Mayweather's shell company along with GBP and others) are doing a HORRIBLE job of getting it featured on regular and non premium television.

And here I thought that boxing was already EXPOSED last weekend with that horrendous 118-110 scorecard.

laugh.gif

My thoughts on them showing the fight in movie theaters has nothing to do with "hating" Mayweather. The reality is that the move has absolutely nothing to do with "wanting to expose boxing to the masses"...I mean, if they really wanted to do that, why put the fight on PPV to begin with? I would think it would have got far more exposure if they just put the fight on HBO World Championship Boxing. Hell, why even do it for this fight to begin with? I mean, if this is something that Richard has been "working on" for the past two years, why the fuck didn't he roll it out for De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao...a fight that would have garnered even more exposure for boxing.

Come on now...you don't actually believe they came up with this idea because they wanted to give back to the fans, do you?

laugh.gif

The truth is that it's always been about the money. As a business, why would Golden Boy Promotions want to undercut themselves by offering venues across the country to watch a fight at a drastically reduced rate (1/3 of the cost) when they're already trying to sell it to you on PPV? Theoritcially, that could backfire on them as a number of people who might normally just drop the money on the PPV might decide to just drop 1/3 of the cost at the movie theater. It's a risky move that they likely would never do for an event that they knew was going to perform well on PPV...hence the reason why this "brilliant" idea was never rolled out for fights like Pacquiao-Hatton, Pacquiao-De La Hoya, Mayweather-Hatton or Mayweather-De La Hoya. This is a "just-in-case" move that they're taking because of their concerned about Mayweather's drawing power on PPV, especially now that they're going head-to-head with a UFC event on PPV. I'm expecting this PPV to do 400-500K buys IF they're lucky (and that's a big if) and then they'll suplement those numbers with whatever they do at the box office in order to spin it as though Mayweather is this big star so he can try to get his way at the negotiating table when it comes to a fight with Pacquiao.
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 27 2009, 02:42 PM) *
And here I thought that boxing was already EXPOSED last weekend with that horrendous 118-110 scorecard.

laugh.gif

My thoughts on them showing the fight in movie theaters has nothing to do with "hating" Mayweather. The reality is that the move has absolutely nothing to do with "wanting to expose boxing to the masses"...I mean, if they really wanted to do that, why put the fight on PPV to begin with? I would think it would have got far more exposure if they just put the fight on HBO World Championship Boxing. Hell, why even do it for this fight to begin with? I mean, if this is something that Richard has been "working on" for the past two years, why the fuck didn't he roll it out for De La Hoya vs. Pacquiao...a fight that would have garnered even more exposure for boxing.

Come on now...you don't actually believe they came up with this idea because they wanted to give back to the fans, do you?

laugh.gif

The truth is that it's always been about the money. As a business, why would Golden Boy Promotions want to undercut themselves by offering venues across the country to watch a fight at a drastically reduced rate (1/3 of the cost) when they're already trying to sell it to you on PPV? Theoritcially, that could backfire on them as a number of people who might normally just drop the money on the PPV might decide to just drop 1/3 of the cost at the movie theater. It's a risky move that they likely would never do for an event that they knew was going to perform well on PPV...hence the reason why this "brilliant" idea was never rolled out for fights like Pacquiao-Hatton, Pacquiao-De La Hoya, Mayweather-Hatton or Mayweather-De La Hoya. This is a "just-in-case" move that they're taking because of their concerned about Mayweather's drawing power on PPV, especially now that they're going head-to-head with a UFC event on PPV. I'm expecting this PPV to do 400-500K buys IF they're lucky (and that's a big if) and then they'll suplement those numbers with whatever they do at the box office in order to spin it as though Mayweather is this big star so he can try to get his way at the negotiating table when it comes to a fight with Pacquiao.

There it is. I ain't even gonna add anything to that. Sometimes it's the things you DON'T say, which makes the things you DO say, more important.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (MarzB @ Aug 24 2009, 07:50 PM) *
Question for anyone who's ever been to a "closed circuit" (from the 80's) before.

If this is going to be in movie theatres, is this the RIGHT thing to do with regard to alcohol sales? I remember as a kid my dad and his friends bringing me along and the movie threatre would somehow have alcohol there. I just recall distinctly them drinking beers.

But nowadays with licensing/zoning issues I'm curious if they'll do this becaues most guys will want to have something while watching the fight. Most importantly I can't see someone missing out on that money.

I guess my question is, does anyone else recall during the PAY PER VIEW days at Movie Threatres if there indeed was beer/alcohol there?

I saw Hagler-Hearns, Leonard-Hagler, Tyson-Spinks and Hearns-Leonard 2 on closed circuit. I was a minor back then but seem to remember my dad and his friends drinking beer.

Can't imagine the movie theaters listed being allowed to serve them.
Method
They will not be allowed to serve alcohol without a liquor license. THAT I know.

The closed circuit theater thing could turn into a MAJOR shit show, if things get heated up between observers.

Things are a LOT different now than the days of our fathers going and catching closed circuit production back in the day.

Now w cell phones and beepers and heckling and bullshit....and the fat fuckin loudmouth that thinks he's the funniest guy in the place.

No thanks.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 27 2009, 02:05 PM) *
There it is. I ain't even gonna add anything to that. Sometimes it's the things you DON'T say, which makes the things you DO say, more important.

Cosign!!!

Jack
MarzB
Hype, I'll read what you said in a moment but since the person who I DIRECTED those comments toward was METH, I'll read your commentary since he wants to cosign what you said.

I thought I made clear when he mentioned about movie theatres bumping out other movies when that wasn't a point you made.
Method
I never said anything about liking or hating Mayweather, so why would you chalk off what seems to be a consensus belief that these guys are looking to bolster WEAK revenues to my "hatred" for Mayweather. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
MarzB
ok, I read what you said Hype and my comments again weren't directed to you Hype but I'll answer some of what you said with my thoughts. We can still do that here right? I mean you're an agree to disagree type of cat unlike some people right Meth??

NOT at ALL. I've said here GBP is just as (if not more) greedy as DKP and Top Rank. I totally agree with you this should be on WCB and thought it was when this fight was discussed back in April. That doesn't solve the problem of NON HBO subscribers though having an option to view the fight. I doubt either date (the 1st and the latter) are part of a FREE HBO weekend either which to me would have been perfect.

That said as much as I can't stand these boxing promotion vehicles in how they do things, I still want to see BOXING overall do well. I don't think this solves a total problem but as I said when it was presented here, it gives the fan an additional option and again WHAT SO WRONG WITH THAT??

I'll ask the same question Hype to your two cosigners. WHATS SO WRONG WITH PRESENTING FANS ANOTHER OPTION?? Everything isn't an open and shut case so don't' act like what I said had no validity.

Short story for you. I was fixing a friends laptop a couple weeks ago and I came on here. When I gave it back to him he said, "man this site is pretty cool, I didn't know about this. thanks I'm bookmarking it". I'm not saying that to you to curry in favor or anything like that. What I'm saying is he often ask me, "How do you know when these fights come on?"

Which leads to my question, "how does a person that likes boxing stay informed or know about boxing if they're not already in the loop"? So back to this option here, all I'm saying is rather than buying a PPV which is a bite for anyone especially one with a casual interest. Whats wrong with them having another option??

To people that says, "bars" I'm going to say that doesn't always work depending on your location because most sports bars here won't buy boxing PPViews unless it's big and some people don't like bars. I'm just posing that there.

Thats all I was saying. Feel free to comment..
MarzB
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 27 2009, 03:28 PM) *
I never said anything about liking or hating Mayweather, so why would you chalk off what seems to be a consensus belief that these guys are looking to bolster WEAK revenues to my "hatred" for Mayweather. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Dude, here's your comment

BINGO! We have a winner!

To add to that, I'm curious as to how much money those theaters themselves might lose choosing to show the fight at that time as opposed to an in-demand, feature film in the same time slot

Now you agree you've said on countless occasions you can't stand Mayweather correct?? So my follow up comment to you was in the effect of, "damn you're already tallying the loses when they could have been showing the Jeremy Piven flick instead",lol? NO you did not say anything about Mayweather here granted. But your often utterly sarcastic tone comes off very well and this topic is more about the theatre option being there. Heck the promotion of the fight has just pretty much started to get in gear and you're already 2nd guessing the threatre manager, "damn I guess we should have shown 'THE GODS' instead huh"??
Method
I never said ANYTHING was wrong with it. I just called out the true intention - generating additional revenues to support weak sales. That's all I ever said. I didn't say anything was wrong or right. I just called out what I (and "two others") believed to be the genuine intention here. I guess people get sensitive about the success (or perceived lack thereof) of the event.

I'm still on your side Marz. I know you dig Money May, and I don't let that cloud my belief that, on more topics than not, we see eye to eye.

Addendum: As for my comments about the theaters that was more or less curiously wondering out loud. you are absolutely right in your follow-up post to that. I have no idea what hit movie may or may not be playing at that time (I try to go to theaters as little as possible), although I did scrub through the list of theaters in PA and FL were I'm at, and they were really random and scattered.

All that said, I stand by my belief that a theater environment would be a complete shit show, though.
Keith
The only way they get me in a theater to watch PBF is if he is being executed.
MarzB
QUOTE (Method @ Aug 27 2009, 03:42 PM) *
I never said ANYTHING was wrong with it. I just called out the true intention - generating additional revenues to support weak sales. That's all I ever said. I didn't say anything was wrong or right. I just called out what I (and "two others") believed to be the genuine intention here. I guess people get sensitive about the success (or perceived lack thereof) of the event.

I'm still on your side Marz. I know you dig Money May, and I don't let that cloud my belief that, on more topics than not, we see eye to eye.

Addendum: As for my comments about the theaters that was more or less curiously wondering out loud. you are absolutely right in your follow-up post to that. I have no idea what hit movie may or may not be playing at that time (I try to go to theaters as little as possible), although I did scrub through the list of theaters in PA and FL were I'm at, and they were really random and scattered.

All that said, I stand by my belief that a theater environment would be a complete shit show, though.

I want to make it clear I like Floyd as a boxer and his dedication to the sport. I tend not to get caught up in his antics (which most are just funny to me). Floyd nor is anyone beyond criticism in my eyes and I've criticized Floyd before.

We're on the same page so it's good.
torvix2000
It's just that Floyd wants to become not just a boxer. And what he wanted himself to become is contradicting his being as a boxer.
Jack 1000
I am hearing rumors that sales are horrible! There is talk this may lead to a cancellation. But I don't know if this means just the CC venues or the card itself getting canned. It's the fault of the promoters if this happens. Just keep in mind that sales were shit in July. Does anyone know how many pre-fight tickets were sold before the first postponement? I heard between 3000-3,500. I hardly think PBF became a mega star in two months!

Jack
MarzB
This could be a blessing in disguise. I personally don't think this is a mismatch or bad undercard but thats beside the point.

This will definitely force all parties including HBO; Mayweather Promotions and GBP to re-think, reposition how they plan to do their shows in the future.
King Eugene
I hope it just goes to WCB instead of being canceled. That would suck all together. Not a good look for boxing as a whole. I cant remember the last time UFC canceled a card due to poor ticket sales.
D-MARV
I doubt this fight will get cancelled.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 28 2009, 05:25 AM) *
The only way they get me in a theater to watch PBF is if he is being executed.

shok.gif shok.gif shok.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm thinking of going....it might be something cool to do with a big group of friends
Big Slim Sweet
Well it would dogshit for boxing fans if this fight got cancelled considering HBO damn near cancelled the rest of their boxing schedule for '09 in order to pay Mayweather his money. I mean, how many live fights on WCB and BAD are they even showing the last six months of the year? I'm pretty sure if someone tallied it up it'd be less than 10.

Reading MarzB's comments, the one advantage I can see to showing the fight in these movie theaters is perhaps to expose the fight to more kids/teens. People who can't go to bars and don't have the authority to order the PPV in their home. Movie theaters are still (I think) a popular hangout spot on Saturday nights for teenagers, most of whom probably think boxing died the day their grandfathers did. So maybe you get some of them to roll in, they happen to catch a close, action-packed fight (unfortunately not terribly likely with this one I know), and you start building up the younger fanbase a little.
Jack 1000
One bit of info is not correct, this is FAR from the first time since Leonard-Duran II that a fight has been shown in a closed circuit movie theater. I saw Hagler-Duran, Hagler-Hearns, Hagler-Mugabi, and Leonard-Hagler at the Riverside Theater in Wisconsin. Delahoya-Chavez I was closed-circuit only because Bob Arum wouldn't release the fight to PPV for piracy concerns.

Where are they getting Leonard-Duran II as the last fight shown in theaters?

Jack
MarzB
They were referring to Leonard Duran III (the waste fight) that happened in '89 and by then most homes were wired for pay per view.

The last fight I saw in the theatres was Hearns vs. Leonard II and it was damn near a riot of after the decision was announced.
Jack 1000
In my metro-Wisconsin area, which is probably one of the worst venues for boxing, there has been NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this fight in the TV media or printed press. The only thing I remember is that when Arum did Chavez-Delahoya in Closed-Circuit locations only because of PPV piracy concerns, sales were poor THAN. So I cannot imagine how bad they might be for this fight.

How have your communities been promoting this thing? Do people know? Do people give a shit? The general statistics has seen closed circuit boxing as a dying industry for many years. The UFC being the same night makes promotion for Mayweather-Marquez even worse.

However, I think it is good for boxing for the fans to have a second venue to see the fight at about one-third less than the cost of the PPV. Unfortunately, I believe that they are doing it with the wrong fighters, and the timing with the UFC in competition makes the closed circuit promoting for this fight even worse.

Are there any areas where the pre-fight ticket sales are doing well?

Jack
Jack 1000
I want to the website for my local Champs restaurant, and of course they had a huge ad for the UFC tonight, but "negative" zero on the fight. (I know there's no negative zero, hahaha) But the interest here might as well be that. I can't find any promos locally for the fight here. People just don't care. I mean, most are seeing a fight that really belongs on HBO in the first place. That is, if they know about it.

I wonder what they are gonna do if its like that in the theaters? In Wisconsin, there is one local place near me that is showing it. But how do you profit from maybe 20 people at most that may show up to see it? UGGHHH!

Jack
WindyCityP
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 19 2009, 10:11 PM) *
I want to the website for my local Champs restaurant, and of course they had a huge ad for the UFC tonight, but "negative" zero on the fight. (I know there's no negative zero, hahaha) But the interest here might as well be that. I can't find any promos locally for the fight here. People just don't care. I mean, most are seeing a fight that really belongs on HBO in the first place. That is, if they know about it.

I wonder what they are gonna do if its like that in the theaters? In Wisconsin, there is one local place near me that is showing it. But how do you profit from maybe 20 people at most that may show up to see it? UGGHHH!

Jack

I'm sorry to hear you live in Wisconsin Jack.
D-MARV
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ Sep 19 2009, 06:48 PM) *

+1. LOL
Jack 1000
QUOTE (WindyCityP @ Sep 19 2009, 05:48 PM) *

Not half as sorry as I am!!! LOL!!!!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.