Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The last of a dying breed
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
pacco_diablo
James Toney is reminiscent of the old school fighters in that he has had over 70 professional fights. For whatever reasons, money, health, or whatever, we don't see any championship caliber fighters reach this plateau anymore. Are there any championship caliber fighters out there right now who have a chance of reaching 70 professional fights? Maybe Pacquiao? Or is James Toney truly the last one?
JonnyBlaze
Wlad. Klitchko I think will be able to do it..He is at 56 right now..Jose Luis Castillo has one more fight before he hits 70..Roy Jones Jr. as well..Kessler might be able to do it..He is 30 years old and has 42 fights..Not sure about him though..He'd have to fight 3-4 times a year for 10 more years..Possible,but maybe not likely in today's fight game..

I don't think Pac-man will get even close to 70..There have already been rumors of him fighting a few more fights before retiring..Also,the pace he has will never get him to 70..2 fights a year won't do it..

I could see Juan Diaz doing it..He is 25 and already has 37 fights..I don't consider him championship caliber but thought I should throw him out there..

I don't know why guys are only fighting 2 times a year..You guys might say they don't have to fight more often but fuck that..If you love boxing,you'll fight as often as possible..If no one legit will fight you,fight a guy of lower class level than you.
Box in Hand
I say that those days are nearing an end. The problem is there are too many factors. Fighters are making triple for one fight than they did back in the days. Sugar Ray Robinson would never had 100 plus fights if he made the kind of money there is today with purse plus pay-per-view revenue, plus sponsor deals etc. I've heard him say he hated fighting and only fought for the money. There is also the networks to worry about. HBO and Showtime only have a ceartain amount of slots and those go to contracted fighters. Too bad there aren't that many fights on free TV anymore. I remember watching fights on ABC network and now that is all but gone. Plus, fighters these days aren't as tough as they used to be. Too many guys are gassing out after 7 or 8 rounds. Injuries are causing fights to be post poned. I heard fighter used to fight with fresh scars and bruised ribs back in the days. I guess that's better in the long run but fighters are just to soft for me.
Douchebag
Julio cesar chavez jr /thread
Jack 1000
Interesting poll!

But you have generated an option for multiple responses. This could skew the results. If the OP approves, we can change it to round ("radio") buttons to only allow one choice per voter. My guess is this is what the OP had in mind.

Jack

Administrator
Warlord
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Aug 28 2009, 03:00 PM) *
Julio cesar chavez jr /thread

Why do you assume that your response was so awesome that it somehow ends this thread?

I worry about you sometimes, James.
Warlord
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2009, 02:23 PM) *
Wlad. Klitchko I think will be able to do it..He is at 56 right now..Jose Luis Castillo has one more fight before he hits 70..Roy Jones Jr. as well..Kessler might be able to do it..He is 30 years old and has 42 fights..Not sure about him though..He'd have to fight 3-4 times a year for 10 more years..Possible,but maybe not likely in today's fight game..

I don't think Pac-man will get even close to 70..There have already been rumors of him fighting a few more fights before retiring..Also,the pace he has will never get him to 70..2 fights a year won't do it..

I could see Juan Diaz doing it..He is 25 and already has 37 fights..I don't consider him championship caliber but thought I should throw him out there..

I don't know why guys are only fighting 2 times a year..You guys might say they don't have to fight more often but fuck that..If you love boxing,you'll fight as often as possible..If no one legit will fight you,fight a guy of lower class level than you.

And I agree. I think Wlad gets there assuming he doesn't get bogged down with injuries the way his brother did.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 28 2009, 06:46 PM) *
Interesting poll!

But you have generated an option for multiple responses. This could skew the results. If the OP approves, we can change it to round ("radio") buttons to only allow one choice per voter. My guess is this is what the OP had in mind.

Jack

Administrator

Oops. 1 vote per person is totally cool. Your guess would be correct.
torvix2000
LOL!

Another thread of a nostalgically tripping person.

How about, when will we ever see a close dog fight again between two fighter planes?

This is the modern times.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 28 2009, 03:23 PM) *

Until now I didnt realize that Wlad was only 33. I thought he was older for some reason. Still not sure if he can get there. Manny Pac is only 30 and only has 2 less fights than Wlad (54). I thought about Diaz before the post and personally I WOULD consider him a championship caliber fighter. Still not sure if he can get there though, not with the sport today. Good call with Castillo, didnt know he was around that benchmark.

The thing is James Toney has around 75 professional fights. I really dont see that happening again unless someone greatly improved throughout their career like Glen Johnson.

Now that I look at some the greats records maybe 70 is a bit extreme.
Ali- 61
Joe Louis- 69
Frazier-37 (WTF)
Liston- 54

These are just the heavies.

I guess the number of fights dont really mean squat in the grand scheme of things. But it would be fun to see top ranked fighters fight quicker than 5-6 months apart. Especially if they didnt take any real damage in their previous fight.
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Aug 29 2009, 03:23 AM) *
LOL!

Another thread of a nostalgically tripping person.

How about, when will we ever see a close dog fight again between two fighter planes?

This is the modern times.

Dog fights will definitely still happen. Whether is human piloted is the question. War is turning into a video game. For now, boxing is still mono e mono. At the same time it seems that boxing is nostalgia. Maybe boxing itself is a dying breed?
torvix2000
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Aug 29 2009, 07:49 AM) *
Dog fights will definitely still happen. Whether is human piloted is the question. War is turning into a video game. For now, boxing is still mono e mono. At the same time it seems that boxing is nostalgia. Maybe boxing itself is a dying breed?

I'm talking about close quarter combat. Fighter planes no longer do that.
Keith
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Aug 29 2009, 06:09 AM) *
I'm talking about close quarter combat. Fighter planes no longer do that.

off topic but...

What do you consider close combat? Its no longer WW2 style but most dogfights still occur within visual range of each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.