Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Will Marquez Carry the Weight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
JD
Does not look like all that great to these eyes. He does not look like very good to me...looks like they stupidly bulked him up a bit, and he is soft in the middle as a result.

PHOTO CREDIT: Golden Boy Promotions

D-MARV
Those Pics were taken over a month ago. I'm pretty sure he doesn't look like that now. Nacho said he filled in well but he appears to be slower.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 28 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Those Pics were taken over a month ago. I'm pretty sure he doesn't look like that now. Nacho said he filled in well but he appears to be slower.

Slow= Fast Decapitation.
JD
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 28 2009, 06:29 PM) *

Either way, at better than 140, I do not think this is a good starting point. He looks like Oscar did for Sturm.

I don't see him shedding weight, so to me, this is not really ideal.
King Eugene
Not a good look for Marquez. Floyd is an underrated Body puncher and I think he will test that gut.
provo
Marquez didn't look to good vs juan diaz ,diaz was tagging him all night imo , until the end. Marquez is going to be a lot slower on sept 19, floyd is going to whoop his ass!
JD
I agree. During the fight I found myself thinking that Marquez was clearly losing his legs...and I think the Diaz - Malignaggi fight highlighted that.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 29 2009, 01:07 PM) *
Marquez didn't look to good vs juan diaz ,diaz was tagging him all night imo , until the end. Marquez is going to be a lot slower on sept 19, floyd is going to whoop his ass!

believe it.. if diaz was tagging marquez like he was marquez vs. mayweather is going to be target practice...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Marquez is a great fighter but fighting at this weight is clearly ridiculous. This should be the fight that Manny is taking because right now is his best chance to catch PBF below par. As a previous poster said genetics play a big part in this and clearly Marquez's say he should not be fighting at this weight.

Target practice for Floyd and he gets the late stoppage to boot. A lot like the Hatton fight in that Floyd will spend a few rounds settling in before taking it up a notch around the 6th and probably getting the job done around the 9th.
provo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 29 2009, 03:43 PM) *
believe it.. if diaz was tagging marquez like he was marquez vs. mayweather is going to be target practice...

Exactly! Target practice for Mayweather ! This is Floyds tune up ! against the number 2 pound 4 pound fighter! Mayweather by late stoppage I gotta agree with that !
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 29 2009, 09:16 PM) *
Exactly! Target practice for Mayweather ! This is Floyds tune up ! against the number 2 pound 4 pound fighter! Mayweather by late stoppage I gotta agree with that !

Against an older, smaller, slower and fatter fighter. What a waste of time.
D-MARV
So much for Juan being fat!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (provo @ Aug 29 2009, 09:16 PM) *

Number 2 maybe but fighting in a weight class he has no business being in. I fail to see how this is particularly impressive on Floyd's part. I mean wow! who's next? Ivan Calderon?
Keith
Marquez was never a quick fighter to begin with... add this extra weight and this will be a short fight.

PBF knows he needs to look very impressive against a common opponent before he sits down at the table to discuss a split with Pac.

Is Marquez Catholic?... cause the Pope himself needs to be working his corner to pull this one out.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 30 2009, 08:48 AM) *
If that comment is you referencing to the pictures in this thread, well he isn't fat by our standards, but his gut looks soft. Doesn't look great in those pictures, especially the first one.

I was actually commenting on how he looked last night in 24/7. Those pictures are not a good indicator of where he stands now.

I think one thing people are overlooking here is the fact that Floyd is a slow starter as well. If you go back and look at his past fights against lesser opponents (Judah and Hatton in particular) you will see that Floyd gave up some early rounds. Juan has had early problems against guys who come out in a storm and overwhelm you with volume and pressure (Diaz & Pacquiao). Floyd will not come out with that type of pressure, Especially after a two year layoff.

In the beginning, you will see a slow, tactical fight between two highly skill veterans. By the mid rounds, Floyd will begin to open up and try to impose his size and strength. Here is where Juan will have some success by landing sharp counters (What makes Juan so special is that he counters with combinations. Something Floyd hasn't seen in a LONG time). I also see Juan landing some good body shots that will earn Floyd respect.

By the late rounds, I see Juan wearing down a bit due to his age and probably the extra weight. I do, however, see Juan finishing this fight on his feet. I'm leaning toward Floyd by UD. 116-112 type.

Ultimately, the fight will be VERY competitive and FAR from a landslide.
JD
I think people are severely underestimating who much JMM's legs are going.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Aug 29 2009, 09:46 PM) *
Number 2 maybe but fighting in a weight class he has no business being in. I fail to see how this is particularly impressive on Floyd's part. I mean wow! who's next? Ivan Calderon?

truth is after 2 years off i dont think its a bad fight for mayweather... its a fight he should win but if mayweather has rust it should show in the fight as well... no doubt mayweather should win the fight but if there is major rust which i doubt, and it would have to be some serious ass rust, but marquez could do sumthin... even win... i wouldnt bet on it but it could happen tho not likely... as much as i would like to see the fight from a buisness stand point if i was may. iwouldnt come off two years and fight cotto or pac or mosely or whoever he top dogs are... the fight makes sense... now if floyd fights juan diaz in his next fight then yes i see a problem but marquez got what he asked for and for a first fight back how can you argue that?... my thing is lets see who he fights next...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 30 2009, 11:36 AM) *
I was actually commenting on how he looked last night in 24/7. Those pictures are not a good indicator of where he stands now.

I think one thing people are overlooking here is the fact that Floyd is a slow starter as well. If you go back and look at his past fights against lesser opponents (Judah and Hatton in particular) you will see that Floyd gave up some early rounds. Juan has had early problems against guys who come out in a storm and overwhelm you with volume and pressure (Diaz & Pacquiao). Floyd will not come out with that type of pressure, Especially after a two year layoff.

In the beginning, you will see a slow, tactical fight between two highly skill veterans. By the mid rounds, Floyd will begin to open up and try to impose his size and strength. Here is where Juan will have some success by landing sharp counters (What makes Juan so special is that he counters with combinations. Something Floyd hasn't seen in a LONG time). I also see Juan landing some good body shots that will earn Floyd respect.

By the late rounds, I see Juan wearing down a bit due to his age and probably the extra weight. I do, however, see Juan finishing this fight on his feet. I'm leaning toward Floyd by UD. 116-112 type.

marv i half way agree with you and this assesment.. floyd can be a slow starter and the judah and hatton fights are good examples... but if hes anywhere near the floyd of old may will figure out marquez and within a few rounds be dominating.. marquez i dont think has the skill level to compete... especially at this weight... same thing goes for pac... cotto on the other hand has the size to get with him... i.m.o...
salvador
JMM's 36 and looking for one last paycheck - a paycheck that will probably be bigger than his next 3 biggest checks combined. For the money he's going to be getting, I'm sure JMM would have been just as happy to fight a Klit or David Haye.

Floyd's going to look like Paul Williams in there and unfortunately JMM has absolutely no chance - and JMM is smart enough to know it.

D-MARV
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 30 2009, 02:21 PM) *
marv i half way agree with you and this assesment.. floyd can be a slow starter and the judah and hatton fights are good examples... but if hes anywhere near the floyd of old may will figure out marquez and within a few rounds be dominating.. marquez i dont think has the skill level to compete... especially at this weight... same thing goes for pac... cotto on the other hand has the size to get with him... i.m.o...

Fair Enough.

But I think Juan is the most skillfull fighter Floyd has ever fought up until now.

Oh, I disagree about the Pac statement. I believe Floyd handles Cotto much easier than Pac.
torvix2000
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 30 2009, 09:21 PM) *
Oh, I disagree about the Pac statement. I believe Floyd handles Cotto much easier than Pac.

In a different manner. Pac goes full blast pounding Cotto while Floyd in his bike.
D-MARV
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Aug 30 2009, 08:55 PM) *
In a different manner. Pac goes full blast pounding Cotto while Floyd in his bike.

You Fool!... Floyd would struggle more with Pac than he would with Cotto.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 30 2009, 11:36 AM) *

That might happen. JMM excels at counterpunching and relishes that role. Should Mayweather attempt to force the action he might find himself eating more leather than usual. What worries me is that Mayweather's size and strenght advantage may be substantial enough to withstand JMM's counterattacks without any difficulty.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Aug 30 2009, 08:20 PM) *
You Fool!... Floyd would struggle more with Pac than he would with Cotto.

no way dmarv...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 30 2009, 11:49 PM) *
That might happen. JMM excels at counterpunching and relishes that role. Should Mayweather attempt to force the action he might find himself eating more leather than usual. What worries me is that Mayweather's size and strenght advantage may be substantial enough to withstand JMM's counterattacks without any difficulty.

i dont know mustard i think physically marquez is gonna be pretty strong at the weight.. his problem will be the lack of speed etc.. i still say if juan diaz was quicker than he was it dont look good for him going up against lil floyd... i just dont see a way for him to win...i think he can compete for a few rounds maybe but he will be outclassed in the end..id give him a better shot if he was younger... still wouldnt pick him to win but would give him a better chance...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 30 2009, 01:15 PM) *
truth is after 2 years off i dont think its a bad fight for mayweather... its a fight he should win but if mayweather has rust it should show in the fight as well... no doubt mayweather should win the fight but if there is major rust which i doubt, and it would have to be some serious ass rust, but marquez could do sumthin... even win... i wouldnt bet on it but it could happen tho not likely... as much as i would like to see the fight from a buisness stand point if i was may. iwouldnt come off two years and fight cotto or pac or mosely or whoever he top dogs are... the fight makes sense... now if floyd fights juan diaz in his next fight then yes i see a problem but marquez got what he asked for and for a first fight back how can you argue that?... my thing is lets see who he fights next...

This is why it's a great fight for PBF JLUV. It's a fight he can come back and win and still afford to be rusty. Fighting Pac right now would not be a good idea. Fighting him after JMM is a great idea.

They get to sell this fight on JMM being the number 2 p4p in the world (disregarding the ridiculous weight he's fighting at), fight a common Pac opponent which he sould beat more handily and get rid of some of that rust at the same.

The only downside as I see it is that the PPV could tank and Pac's/Cotto does better thus placing PBF in a precarious position come negotiation time.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Aug 31 2009, 02:16 AM) *
This is why it's a great fight for PBF JLUV. It's a fight he can come back and win and still afford to be rusty. Fighting Pac right now would not be a good idea. Fighting him after JMM is a great idea.

They get to sell this fight on JMM being the number 2 p4p in the world (disregarding the ridiculous weight he's fighting at), fight a common Pac opponent which he sould beat more handily and get rid of some of that rust at the same.

The only downside as I see it is that the PPV could tank and Pac's/Cotto does better thus placing PBF in a precarious position come negotiation time.

two things.. number one should floyd fight pac i dont think that fight will be as hard to make as some might think.. there is a lot of egos talking but i am willing to bet at the end of the day floyd takes the shorter money... number 2 floyd may not have to worry about fighting pac... pac has a very good chance of not getting past cotto...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Aug 31 2009, 09:04 AM) *
two things.. number one should floyd fight pac i dont think that fight will be as hard to make as some might think.. there is a lot of egos talking but i am willing to bet at the end of the day floyd takes the shorter money... number 2 floyd may not have to worry about fighting pac... pac has a very good chance of not getting past cotto...

JLUV on your 2 points:

1. I don't think Floyd's ego will let him take the short money against anyone now (Oscar included.)

2. You may be right.
King Eugene
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Sep 1 2009, 03:07 AM) *
JLUV on your 2 points:

1. I don't think Floyd's ego will let him take the short money against anyone now (Oscar included.)

2. You may be right.

Floyd would definitely take the short money against Oscar. He aint turning down $20 Mil plus even if the other guys is getting damn near $40 mil
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 1 2009, 02:28 AM) *
Floyd would definitely take the short money against Oscar. He aint turning down $20 Mil plus even if the other guys is getting damn near $40 mil

I'm not so sure. From what I remember (and I could be wrong) but one of the reasons their 2nd fight never happened was that cocky motherfucker started getting bolshy about how they cut up the pie for the rematch.

Though I'm quite happy to stand corrected on that one. (Just thought I'd add that with all the 'e-aggro' on these boards at the minute. LOL)
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Sep 1 2009, 02:07 AM) *
JLUV on your 2 points:

2. You may be right.

i dont know ollie.. to get the fight done and where does either man make more money if it was to go down?... i could see a 51 to 49% or a 50 50 with one getting a lil more on the ppv or sumthin like that... IF pac can get past cotto... thing is i dont see that happening...lol... i think cotto is gonna do to pac what i did to ceo on fnr4...lol....
1zz
I think he will look good at WW.

He's getting older and will be giving his body a break at a higher weight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (1zz @ Sep 1 2009, 12:34 PM) *
I think he will look good at WW.

He's getting older and will be giving his body a break at a higher weight.

i dont know.. jmm was pretty slow against diaz.. he's not gonna get faster... and mayweather has just as much ring generalship and experience if not more than jmm... this is an all uphill battle for him...
1zz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Sep 1 2009, 05:44 PM) *
i dont know.. jmm was pretty slow against diaz.. he's not gonna get faster... and mayweather has just as much ring generalship and experience if not more than jmm... this is an all uphill battle for him...

Oh i'm not saying JMM will win.....I just think the weight will be benificial at this point of his career.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (1zz @ Sep 1 2009, 12:57 PM) *
Oh i'm not saying JMM will win.....I just think the weight will be benificial at this point of his career.

just not against lil floyd... actually that might be just too high a weight period for him... i cant think of a top welter i would want to see him in against... I hope he changes my mind and makes it a good fight but i just dont see it... if he's good at the weight he'll give mayweather a good fight but i think he will be slow as hell...
D-MARV
The more film I watch the more i see Juan Manuel being competitive.
torvix2000
Mayweather is SHOT!
Fitz
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 2 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Mayweather is SHOT!

torvix2000
LOL!

Hey, Fitz, check this boxing schedule, will 'yah!

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AlPu...t&type=lgns
1zz
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 2 2009, 01:43 AM) *
I can pretty much guarantee that it won't be beneficial for him. The guys are bigger and stronger (Juan Diaz was already stronger than him) and he will find it harder for the big guys to have the same respect for his shots that the guys in the lower weights did.
It won't be beneficial at this point of his career, just like 135 wasn't beneficial for Morales, like 140 wasn't beneficial for Castillo, 147 wasn't beneficial for Corrales and 160 wasn't beneficial for DLH. Mexican's don't gain weight or move as many divisions as most other guys (DLH kind of the exception). My brother pointed it out, but it's why three is the most that a mexican has one titles in multiple divisions. They just don't carry weight as higher as some others.
I could be wrong, but I really, really, really doubt that this weight gain will be beneficial for Marquez. If by beneficial you mean he doesn't have to work as hard to make weight because he is older, then sure. If you mean he is going to be a more effective fighter and actually help him win fights against some legit 140+ fighters, I'm pretty sure you are going to be wrong.

JMM is a more technically sound boxer than all the fighters you just noted.
He also stopped Juan Diaz(who you noted is stronger)and Joel Casamayor who been in with some pretty decent punchers(never been stopped prior I belive).
Douchebag
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 2 2009, 04:15 AM) *
How is it that people go on about Marquez being just as good, just as smart as Mayweather and being a great counterpuncher like Floyd but look past the fact that's how Marquez is at fucking LIGHTWEIGHT!! Oh let me guess though..Marquez is top 3 best in the world??..and?...that's why we have divisions! We will see how good of a counter puncher he is and how his IQ is in the ring when he comes to ring looking soft, slow, flat footed and out of time against one of the quickest, slickest, smartest, accurate, disiplined fighters in the last decade! I just don't see peoples logic, which I beleive also discredits and takes away how impressive it really was for Marquez to step up and beat those very tough/good Lightweights in the 1st place!!!

Now people are being fooled because Mayweather moved to welter and looked good and Pac moved up to welter and looked good..but against who though?? what did either oppoenents bring to the table?? Not to mention Mayweather, Pac and Marquez have totally different body types/structures with toally different genetics! Mayweather is NOT going to come fight night like a zombie as DLH did against Pac & ironically Floyd is NOTHING like any of his own Welterweight opponents his fought either!

Out of all the fighters moving up, to Marquez's credit is the 1st to step up in division(s) and not only fight a top or true welterweight..but to fight against argubly the best fighter in the world who is undefeated!!..keep that in mind please!!

Also ringrust does not evan cross my mind in regards to Mayweather! As much as I hate this cunt he is very disiplined and beleive hard working in the gym, who I have never seen look bad physically or heard of bad habbits! We are talking about the same man that fought against a pegeon punching Baldomir like he had aids in the ring because he is so safe & paranoid, now people think he is going to let someone who was new to the Lightweight division beat him up?? Only way this is close is if Mayweather fights in 1st or 2nd gear and carries him! This fight reminds me of Hopkins-De La Hoya in several ways, It's upto Mayweather how close and how long the fight goes for until the turns the heat up!

I am amazed at the fact that you could make such clear points with Floyds nutz still in your mouth.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Sep 2 2009, 07:18 AM) *
I am amazed at the fact that you could make such clear points with Floyds nutz still in your mouth.

ouch!!!... Lol....
Fitz
QUOTE (1zz @ Sep 2 2009, 10:17 PM) *
JMM is a more technically sound boxer than all the fighters you just noted.
He also stopped Juan Diaz(who you noted is stronger)and Joel Casamayor who been in with some pretty decent punchers(never been stopped prior I belive).

I know he stopped Juan Diaz, though it doesn't mean he was stronger. He won on experience which isn't a knock on Marquez, it shows how good he is. Also I know he stopped Casamayor, and I also predicted on these boards that Marquez was going to stop him, and some people laughed at me on here for that prediction because Casamamyor had fought punchers like Corrales and many more and never stopped and they thought my pick was ridiculous, so I can guarantee that I am not selling Marquez short, I rate him extremely high, but it's got to stop some where. I think the Diaz fight to me showed he had some trouble early with the strength of a 135 fighter but pulled it out. To me he didn't look bad, but was a sign that 135 was probably the last division that he can look good in.
I am so confident that 140+ won't be beneficial for him, it feels like I can almost guarantee that. Even at 135, his body didn't seem as full as it did previously. He wasn't fat, but it looked like he was carrying a lot of water weight.

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Sep 2 2009, 10:18 PM) *

Now this is one thing I can guarantee, there are no Floyd nuts in his mouth. Mayweather is his most hated fighter, he dislikes him just as much as myself and Stevenski. Well maybe not Stevenski, as he is in a class of his own, but he despises him. Not sure where you pulled that from.
King Eugene
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 2 2009, 07:29 AM) *
Mayweather is SHOT!

You say stuff like this for shits and giggles huh? laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 2 2009, 08:21 PM) *

i had to look twice at that too...
King Eugene
I'm predicting the future......

JaRaNDa
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Sep 2 2009, 01:18 PM) *

Are you sure you quoted the right post?? If so, please explain this statement!
torvix2000
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 3 2009, 01:21 AM) *

Nope. Floyd is shot. Cotto is shot. As were DLH and Hatton.
D-MARV
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 3 2009, 06:27 AM) *
Nope. Floyd is shot. Cotto is shot. As were DLH and Hatton.

Mean Mister Mustard
Well at least Marquez is in shape.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.