Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clottey set to face Mosley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PUERTOROCKS
Welterweight challenger Joshua Clottey of Accra, Ghana, will train in Las Vegas at the Top Rank gym for his upcoming bout against Sugar Shane Mosley. Miguel Diaz has been hired to train Clottey. Diaz said Clottey will report to Las Vegas “…right around the second week of October.” The working date of the fight is Dec. 26 at a venue to be announced. Clottey last week agreed to fight Mosley on HBO.

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=22066
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (PUERTOROCKS @ Sep 3 2009, 06:20 PM) *
Welterweight challenger Joshua Clottey of Accra, Ghana, will train in Las Vegas at the Top Rank gym for his upcoming bout against Sugar Shane Mosley. Miguel Diaz has been hired to train Clottey. Diaz said Clottey will report to Las Vegas “…right around the second week of October.” The working date of the fight is Dec. 26 at a venue to be announced. Clottey last week agreed to fight Mosley on HBO.

http://www.fightnews.com/?p=22066

after watching clottey fight cotto im not too high on him because i didnt think he pressed cotto like he should have when he had him hurt... like he didnt have that 3rd gear in him but this should still be good... i give mosely the nod in this one but clottey should tell mosely where he stands...
Method
Clottey should tell Mosley where he stands with regards to what?
bucktrain
This should be good one.. Id actually pay to see it, unlike the fight coming up on Sept. 19
singletrack
If this is true, Clottey really can't complain about Top Rank. He loses to Cotto and gets a shot at the top Welter.

Mosley by lopsided UD.
Fitz
Mosley is one tough guy. He continually goes on to fight some dangerous fighters that are big risk low reward. When people mention fighters like Holyfield who fight everyone and one of the toughest fighters of the generation, Mosley belongs in the same category. Much props to him.
Cotto is another guy who has been taking some good fights recently.
Keith

I cant see this as competitive. I see nothing that Clottey can bring that will cause Shane problems. Shane is bigger, faster, and bangs harder. Clottey has not shown he can close out a fight and Shane typically gets stronger as his fights wear on. Clottey has a similar style to Winky but doesnt posses the size to implement it against Shane... and Shane has already seen and dealt with it, his second fight with Winky was much more competitive.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Keith @ Sep 3 2009, 09:34 PM) *
I cant see this as competitive. I see nothing that Clottey can bring that will cause Shane problems. Shane is bigger, faster, and bangs harder. Clottey has not shown he can close out a fight and Shane typically gets stronger as his fights wear on. Clottey has a similar style to Winky but doesnt posses the size to implement it against Shane... and Shane has already seen and dealt with it, his second fight with Winky was much more competitive.

How bout a jab in his face. Turtleshell defense. Rugged and durable chin. Clottey will beat Mosley by decision. Clottey should have gotten the nod over Cotto. I think his "flopping" cost him the fight. This aint Margarito. Clottey is a very live opponent for anyone at WW. i think His jab, speed and defense will beat Mosley. I said after the Margarito bout that I wouldnt go against the old man, but... Its hard to go against Clottey here because he has all of the things that give Mosley problems. Mosley can beat sluggers, but he has trouble with good boxers. I think Clottey fits in the category of a very good boxer.

Keith
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 3 2009, 09:40 PM) *
How bout a jab in his face. Turtleshell defense. Rugged and durable chin. Clottey will beat Mosley by decision. Clottey should have gotten the nod over Cotto. I think his "flopping" cost him the fight. This aint Margarito. Clottey is a very live opponent for anyone at WW. i think His jab, speed and defense will beat Mosley. I said after the Margarito bout that I wouldnt go against the old man, but... Its hard to go against Clottey here because he has all of the things that give Mosley problems. Mosley can beat sluggers, but he has trouble with good boxers. I think Clottey fits in the category of a very good boxer.

Sorry, I disagree. I would never put Clottey in the category of "very good boxer". A very good boxer would of won his fights with Margs and Cotto. He doesnt move very well either. He lost his fight with Cotto because of his turtleshell defense... instead of throwing punches and looking to put Cotto away, he put up his earmuffs and looked like he was afraid to fight.
The CEO
My initial, gut thought when reading this was, "Good matchup...but Mosley eventually runs through him."...and yeah...I'll stick to that for now...

Clottey will definitely be more of a challenge than Berto or Judah would have been...that's for sure...
D-MARV
I hate the fact that Shane has to take this fight. Especially after he beat Margarito the way he did. I think Shane pulls it out but he won't look pretty doing it. I don't see Clottey hurting Mosley whatsoever. I think we'll see Mosley pretty much outwork Clottey on his way to a close but clear decision. Clottey looks great when he lets his hands go but he doesn't do that nearly as much as he should. Clottey spends more time bitching then he does fighting. The way you crack that "Turtle shell" defense is by throwing hooks, Mosley may have the best left hook in the game.
Keith
QUOTE (The CEO @ Sep 3 2009, 09:54 PM) *
My initial, gut thought when reading this was, "Good matchup...but Mosley eventually runs through him."...and yeah...I'll stick to that for now...

Clottey will definitely be more of a challenge than Berto or Judah would have been...that's for sure...

Thats a good way of putting it. Shane will stand his ground and throw punches until he moves Clottey backwards... unlike Cotto.
Fitz
Mosley will win this, will be competitive but Clottey can't close out shows. His biggest performances have been losses and his significant wins are Judah and Corrales. Clottey is a decent fighter, but has made a name for himself based on 'impressive' losses.
EpTXCHAMP
clottey uses his size advantage to beat his opponent like zab/diego...but against shane he doesnt have the size advantage if any he may be a little bigger but just a tad...

I dont see any advantage for clottey in this one except clotteys Defense and the fact that he's been more active look for shane to be rusty the first 3-4 rds then cruising from there to a UD
provo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 3 2009, 07:00 PM) *
Mosley will win this, will be competitive but Clottey can't close out shows. His biggest performances have been losses and his significant wins are Judah and Corrales. Clottey is a decent fighter, but has made a name for himself based on 'impressive' losses.

I hate to say it but I agree with Fitz LOL, his boy shane will win this fight!
King Eugene
If Clottey is smart and realizes he needs to let his hands go a bit more and keep that Jab in Mosley's face he'll get the decision but if he puts on the same performance he did against a one eyed Cotto and not close the show he'll lose another decision that he felt he should have won. He just has to do more...thats all. But I honestly dont feel like that fight with Cotto would have been as close if one of his senses wasn't partially gone.
Mean Mister Mustard
I could see Clottey winning. His turtle shell defense is a pain in the ass, he has fast hands and so far no one has had an easy time with him.

This will be a good indicator of how Mosley reacts to Mayweather's punches, should they fight one day. The reason I say this is because I see a lot of similiraties in the way CLottey and PBF punch, particularly their lead straight right hand.
provo
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 3 2009, 07:48 PM) *
If Clottey is smart and realizes he needs to let his hands go a bit more and keep that Jab in Mosley's face he'll get the decision but if he puts on the same performance he did against a one eyed Cotto and not close the show he'll lose another decision that he felt he should have won. He just has to do more...thats all. But I honestly dont feel like that fight with Cotto would have been as close if one of his senses wasn't partially gone.

That's true he would have to be more active in order to beat shane ! But remember clottey supposely hurt his knee in the cotto fight ! So will see how he performs ,I would love to see him win lol, but I think shane pulls this out by decision ,im not sure if its UD or SD..
Snoop
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 4 2009, 01:56 AM) *
I hate the fact that Shane has to take this fight. Especially after he beat Margarito the way he did.

Agreed. Mosley dismantles and knocks out the linear welterweight champ and he ends up fighting Clottey? And what, almost a year later? What kind of shit is that? How does the recognized champ of the division have a tough time getting a fight?
Douchebag
Cotto dropped Clottey with a jab and beat him with one eye. Mosley who is more durable than Cotto is going to have an easier time with him.
ezdoseit
QUOTE (The Conscience @ Sep 3 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Cotto dropped Clottey with a jab and beat him with one eye. Mosley who is more durable than Cotto is going to have an easier time with him.

this is not a good fight for mosley, clottey is to defenceive and mosley need to look impressive. i prefer the zab fight at least shane could have looked good with the ko. just another hard fight for shane damn these fighters should do their job and fight
thehype
QUOTE (ezdoseit @ Sep 4 2009, 01:06 AM) *
this is not a good fight for mosley, clottey is to defenceive and mosley need to look impressive. i prefer the zab fight at least shane could have looked good with the ko. just another hard fight for shane damn these fighters should do their job and fight

I agree. In fact, I can DEFINITELY see Shane blowing this one and losing a controversial split decision.

If I was Shane, I'd let the boss know that I want Raul Caiz Sr. and Gale Van Hoy judging the bout just to make sure they get victory.

laugh.gif
thehype
QUOTE (snoopnick @ Sep 3 2009, 11:17 PM) *
Agreed. Mosley dismantles and knocks out the linear welterweight champ and he ends up fighting Clottey? And what, almost a year later? What kind of shit is that? How does the recognized champ of the division have a tough time getting a fight?

You know, that's a damn shame, but really, Shane's got no one else to blame but himself. I mean, he's a fucking partner with Golden Boy Promotions and somehow, his ass let his own promotional company make fights with Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton without getting his name in the mix. Whenever they had their weekly meetings (or whatever the fuck Golden Boy "partners" do when it comes time to discuss business and the direction the company is heading in), Mosley should have stood fuck up and said, "Hold the fuck up! You want Ricky to fight Pacquiao and you want to throw our boy Marquez at Mayweather? What the fuck? Who the fuck am I supposed to fight? I want to get paid too motherfuckers!" His ass should have put that foot down and make a statement.

"Don't fuck with me Oscar. I've already played second fiddle to you in every other big fight. YOU had to fight Floyd first. YOU had to fight Manny first. YOU had to fight Fernando first. WHAT THE FUCK? Not this time motherfucker. Don't make me slap the taste out of your mouth like I did the last two times we scrapped. Either I'm fighting Ricky or I'm fighting Floyd or hell, fuck it, I'm gonna be the one to beat the shit out of Juan's ass, no offense Juan, but yeah, I'm fighting one of those motherfuckers and I'm getting paid this time damn it!"

I mean, it's fucking sad man. How does he NOT have a marquee name in his next fight when his OWN PROMOTIONAL COMPANY has two of the marquee names (Hatton and Marquez) that, after September 19th, will have fought both Mayweather and Pacquiao already. LOL. That's pathetic. Shane's getting pimped by Golden Boy. They do whatever they want to do with Shane and, for the most part, he just smiles and goes along with it. It's crazy.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 4 2009, 06:53 AM) *
You know, that's a damn shame, but really, Shane's got no one else to blame but himself. I mean, he's a fucking partner with Golden Boy Promotions and somehow, his ass let his own promotional company make fights with Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton without getting his name in the mix. Whenever they had their weekly meetings (or whatever the fuck Golden Boy "partners" do when it comes time to discuss business and the direction the company is heading in), Mosley should have stood fuck up and said, "Hold the fuck up! You want Ricky to fight Pacquiao and you want to throw our boy Marquez at Mayweather? What the fuck? Who the fuck am I supposed to fight? I want to get paid too motherfuckers!" His ass should have put that foot down and make a statement.

"Don't fuck with me Oscar. I've already played second fiddle to you in every other big fight. YOU had to fight Floyd first. YOU had to fight Manny first. YOU had to fight Fernando first. WHAT THE FUCK? Not this time motherfucker. Don't make me slap the taste out of your mouth like I did the last two times we scrapped. Either I'm fighting Ricky or I'm fighting Floyd or hell, fuck it, I'm gonna be the one to beat the shit out of Juan's ass, no offense Juan, but yeah, I'm fighting one of those motherfuckers and I'm getting paid this time damn it!"

I mean, it's fucking sad man. How does he NOT have a marquee name in his next fight when his OWN PROMOTIONAL COMPANY has two of the marquee names (Hatton and Marquez) that, after September 19th, will have fought both Mayweather and Pacquiao already. LOL. That's pathetic. Shane's getting pimped by Golden Boy. They do whatever they want to do with Shane and, for the most part, he just smiles and goes along with it. It's crazy.

Great post.
I dont think everything is Molseys fault as he may be a GBP fighter but he is not a GBP Promotor like Hopkins is, so he would'nt have as much as say as some may think. By saying that it's a shame De La Hoya being Mosley's promotor does'nt put his foot down and do the right thing without the bullshit money fights and force all fights towards Mosley! But it's sad at this point in time GBP does not have the best interest in the long run & is trying to make the most buck in the quickest amount of time. Let things flow and the big fights will come along with the big money regardless & eventually but instead see these things happen.

Mosley is a nice natured person as he does not trash talk or calling out people is not his thing which is nothing wrong as his resume speaks louder than he ever could. Which is the exact reason why Mosley should'nt have to go to the media dropping names as you'd think people would be knocking on his door down for a fight but it sadly not the case. The guy is not exactly booming with youth nor at his best yet Mosley being the Linear Welterweight Champ can't get a fight.

In regards to reports of Mosley-Clottey I think this would make for a very tough entertaining fight which should have a steady pace. Clottey's turtle-like defense, peekaboo style will give Mosley a competative fight. Because Clottey is a durable fighter who is always coming to you I think it would be best for Mosley to try use his legs as much as possible in this fight. By doing so it would also give his inactive legs a needed work which would help for possible future fights with the top guys!
This is exactly why Mosley is one of my all-time favourites, the dude has class and is a badass without the talking or attitude!

Props to Sugar Shane for once again taking tough fights! clapping.gif
King Eugene
I'll give him props for taking the fight but its not like he wanted it. I mean look how long it took him to actually sign to fight period. He initially wanted Manny which still would have been a tough fight but with a smaller guy. So I'm not going to praise him for taking another "tough" fight. Hell thats what you suppose to do! Thats like praising a kid for getting good grades in school. Hell thats what you suppose to do. Praise them if they do something extrodinary like skipping a grade or damn near making a perfect score on the SAT's. He beat Margarito...ok thats what he was suppose to do(in my eyes cause I actually picked him to win) but not only did he beat Margarito but he knocked him out. Now thats what I praised him for. He's one of the few guys that actually takes hard fights on the regular and thats why he so heavily respected!
ezdoseit
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 4 2009, 12:53 AM) *

u know i love shane as a fighter but damn when is he gonna get some mayweather in him an start being a bussiness man say what u want bout floyd he gets what he wants an payed well for it damn shane use your brain, use your brain. its a shame such a great fighter has to keep proving himself by fighting all the high risk low reward figthers
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 4 2009, 09:05 AM) *
I'll give him props for taking the fight but its not like he wanted it. I mean look how long it took him to actually sign to fight period. He initially wanted Manny which still would have been a tough fight but with a smaller guy. So I'm not going to praise him for taking another "tough" fight. Hell thats what you suppose to do! Thats like praising a kid for getting good grades in school. Hell thats what you suppose to do. Praise them if they do something extrodinary like skipping a grade or damn near making a perfect score on the SAT's. He beat Margarito...ok thats what he was suppose to do(in my eyes cause I actually picked him to win) but not only did he beat Margarito but he knocked him out. Now thats what I praised him for. He's one of the few guys that actually takes hard fights on the regular and thats why he so heavily respected!

??
Well are you giving Mosley props for taking this fight or not?? Haha it's not like he had to take it..he could have played it safe (but dumb) and waited till the next top guy was available! Not like he is fighting a no name that will be a pushover or smaller dude & asking them to fight him at a catchweight! If everyone did the right thing like Mosley I'm posative the sport would be better off!!

Yes it took him this long to sign a fight, not like he was turning down fights, ducking or outpricing himself, it was purley because no one wanted to fight him! You may have thought so yourself but Mosley was no way meant to beat Margarito reason being he was a reasonable underdog, plus he deserves credit for evan signing the fight, something Mayweather nor De La Hoya could'nt bring them selves to do while both made ridiculous money!

Mosley should get praise/props/credit or whatever for being one of the few fighters doing his job and remaining to prove himself something other guys in the sport don't do no more! In this day and age Mosley does deserve props for remaining old school when many fight for money, fame over glory! He should change his name to Shane 'Hustlin' Mosley haha.gif
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 3 2009, 07:49 PM) *
Mosley is one tough guy. He continually goes on to fight some dangerous fighters that are big risk low reward. When people mention fighters like Holyfield who fight everyone and one of the toughest fighters of the generation, Mosley belongs in the same category. Much props to him.

Yep.

Mosley, at 37, fighting Clottey might just be the coolest move any boxer makes this year. Unfortunately it might also be the dumbest. God Bless him!

STEVENSKI
Hype is a funny guy. We all know Shane would never say Fuck once let alone NINE times in a GBP partners meeting.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 4 2009, 07:49 AM) *
??
Well are you giving Mosley props for taking this fight or not?? Haha it's not like he had to take it..he could have played it safe (but dumb) and waited till the next top guy was available! Not like he is fighting a no name that will be a pushover or smaller dude & asking them to fight him at a catchweight! If everyone did the right thing like Mosley I'm posative the sport would be better off!!

Yes it took him this long to sign a fight, not like he was turning down fights, ducking or outpricing himself, it was purley because no one wanted to fight him! You may have thought so yourself but Mosley was no way meant to beat Margarito reason being he was a reasonable underdog, plus he deserves credit for evan signing the fight, something Mayweather nor De La Hoya could'nt bring them selves to do while both made ridiculous money!

Mosley should get praise/props/credit or whatever for being one of the few fighters doing his job and remaining to prove himself something other guys in the sport don't do no more! In this day and age Mosley does deserve props for remaining old school when many fight for money, fame over glory! He should change his name to Shane 'Hustlin' Mosley haha.gif

Lets keep it in perspective. No one he wanted to fight wanted to fight him. Williams surely would have. Clottey would have and now is. Berto would have. I'm sure Vernon Forrest would have fought him again too. I think a whole host of guys would fight him at 154.
iron_mike
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 4 2009, 01:33 AM) *
I agree. In fact, I can DEFINITELY see Shane blowing this one and losing a controversial split decision.

If I was Shane, I'd let the boss know that I want Raul Caiz Sr. and Gale Van Hoy judging the bout just to make sure they get victory.

laugh.gif

Wow!! I don't see an impressive Marg like doninant KO, but at LEAST a clear cut UD for Shane.

Lol to your Caiz/Van Hoy comment...OT, is a Diaz/ Malig rematch in the works? where did I see /read 83% thought Paulie won the fight?
Nay_Sayer
Why didn't the Berto fight happen?

That makes a lot more sense....
KookedKrack
damn that divorce got his mind right this motherfucker is picking hard fights ......something about this fight being signed makes me feel like floyd is a pussy for fighting JMM(who i think is a GREAT fighter @130 and maybe 135) but still it seems like shane is always fighting bigger fighters in his division.... if that makes any sense
salvador
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Sep 4 2009, 11:44 AM) *
damn that divorce got his mind right this motherfucker is picking hard fights ......something about this fight being signed makes me feel like floyd is a pussy for fighting JMM(who i think is a GREAT fighter @130 and maybe 135) but still it seems like shane is always fighting bigger fighters in his division.... if that makes any sense

Fighting a featherweight when he could have fought Williams, Mosley, or Clottey is what Floyd Mayweather is all about. And if Cotto beats Pac, look for Floyd to fight either Arce or Darchinyan next.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 3 2009, 06:34 PM) *
Clottey should tell Mosley where he stands with regards to what?

to where he stands in his career... most people are pumped on mosely beating the hell out of marg. but i also remember his fight with mayorga, that mayorga damn near won... its a tough fight but a fight that mosely should win i would think pretty handily if he is still somewhere near the top of his game... he seems to show his skill in spurts now... maybe all the tough fights may be getting to him.. this fight should show him and the fans where he stands right now.. clottey is a good fighter just frustrating to watch to me.. he had cotto hurt several times and it was like he wouldnt or couldnt finish the job or even tried to finish the job...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 4 2009, 09:18 AM) *
Lets keep it in perspective. No one he wanted to fight wanted to fight him. Williams surely would have. Clottey would have and now is. Berto would have. I'm sure Vernon Forrest would have fought him again too. I think a whole host of guys would fight him at 154.

Mosley is the recognized champ at 147 so he shouldn't be having to look upwards to find opponents. Guys should be lining up to fight HIM. And with the exception of Williams - who no one at 147 wants to fight - Shane was obviously more than ready to face them all. I read Berto wants much more than what HBO is offering him to fight Shane.

Anyhow, I hate this fight for Shane. I think Clottey is a terrible style matchup for him. I do expect Mosley to get his hand raised in the end but look for him to struggle mightily and lose face even while notching the W. It won't be pretty.
Keith
This is what I see... Shane throwing bombs and Clottey playing turtle. Eventually he breaks him down. Clottey has a tight D and a good chin but Shane wont stop throwing punches if Clottey just stands there and plays turtle. Picture rd 6 against Cotto...
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 4 2009, 02:18 PM) *

Lets keep it in perspective and aknowedge the fact that noone wants to fight Williams, also talking about the Welterweight division, The WW Champ should not move out of his division or fight people out of his divion to get a fight! I also like the Punisher alot but the dude does not have a very strong case for Welters not fightining him when he keeps weight jumping..specially when his last fight was @160.
Williams should use his name and size to get the big fights at Welter and move down & do what Mosley is doing, if he has any chance of getting the big fights there. Sooner or later the rest in the division will be put in a corner, not have much of an argument and will be forced to take the fight eventually if they keep taking fights like this (with a Mosley OR Williams). Unlike Williams, Mosley's biggest opponent at this point in time imho is father time and inactiveness..as much as it's unfair Mosley is doing the right thing by making a fight.
Come to think about it though, maybe Mosley should'nt have taken such a tough fight & take a tune-up with a no name, afterall the guy could fight pushovers for his next couple of defenses & in my eyes would still be acceptable as he has never takes short cuts & deserves a break once in a while.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 4 2009, 07:49 AM) *
??

Correction...he turned down Williams and said he wasn't interested in Berto. At the time he was only eyeing Pac. I guess things change.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 5 2009, 03:14 AM) *
Correction...he turned down Williams and said he wasn't interested in Berto. At the time he was only eyeing Pac. I guess things change.

I'm aware Williams has called out Mosley's name along with others, but don't recall figures or offers being turned down. But if it did infact go that far Williams has not evan fought in that division in years now, which in my past post have shown reason to why Williams I beleive is going about getting fights at WW wrong when he is not evan attempting to clean up or fight in that division. Yes I think Williams WAS avoided while at welterweight but he moved out which is his own fault, or management.

In regards to Berto, other than having a belt and offering more money I think Clottey is the tougher and more interesting fight for Mosley.
King Eugene
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 4 2009, 11:39 PM) *
I'm aware Williams has called out Mosley's name along with others, but don't recall figures or offers being turned down. But if it did infact go that far Williams has not evan fought in that division in years now, which in my past post have shown reason to why Williams I beleive is going about getting fights at WW wrong when he is not evan attempting to clean up or fight in that division. Yes I think Williams WAS avoided while at welterweight but he moved out which is his own fault, or management.

In regards to Berto, other than having a belt and offering more money I think Clottey is the tougher and more interesting fight for Mosley.

Clottey is tougher and maybe more interteresting but he doesn't bring to the table what Berto does.

The reason Williams left the division cause he was in the same boat as Shane. NOBODY wanted to fight him and he refused to stay on the shelf as long as Mosley did just to get a name fight. If I recall correctly didn't Goosen offer Shane four million or was that Margarito? I think it was Margarito but either way Williams called him out and Shane clearly said he didn't want that fight which is understandable. Just dont bag on Williams for not cleaning up the division when no one the division wanted to fight him. Again good for Shane taking this fight cause that what TRUE fighters suppose to do. I'll give him props if he is the first to stop Clottey!

What a hell of an accomplishment that would be though, first to stop Margarito and Clottey!
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 5 2009, 03:52 AM) *
Clottey is tougher and maybe more interteresting but he doesn't bring to the table what Berto does.

The reason Williams left the division cause he was in the same boat as Shane. NOBODY wanted to fight him and he refused to stay on the shelf as long as Mosley did just to get a name fight. If I recall correctly didn't Goosen offer Shane four million or was that Margarito? I think it was Margarito but either way Williams called him out and Shane clearly said he didn't want that fight which is understandable. Just dont bag on Williams for not cleaning up the division when no one the division wanted to fight him. Again good for Shane taking this fight cause that what TRUE fighters suppose to do. I'll give him props if he is the first to stop Clottey!

What a hell of an accomplishment that would be though, first to stop Margarito and Clottey!

Yeah I agree Berto brings alot more to the table in terms on money, belts and future opportunities than Clottey. But Clottey offers more of a challenge, more of a better a fight and at the end of the day I HOPE brings more appreciation & respect from fans which to a fighters career is a lot more valuable than any money or belt!

In regards to the Goosen offer I couldn’t give you a straight answer or response as I don't know. Mosley is one of the few fighters that has flat out said to the media he would not fight Williams..holding no excuses or ridiculous comments in the process like other fighters have. I don't want to come off as contradicting but don't blame him, which has to do with Mosley age at point in his career rather than a MUST!

I don't want to come across as if i'm 'baggin' Williams as I'm actually a big fan of his, but I do however have concerns about the guy that turns into criticism. Such as watching him fight! The guy is exciting to see in the ring but why the fuck would you fight in close and decide to brawl with your opponents with a physic like that? It's an absolute shame & waste he does not use his height & reach against his opponents like a lanky rangy fighter should (Hearns, Forrest) but gives up his biggest advantages to his opponents. Imagine if Williams constantly used his jab and fought on the outside how close to impossible he would be to beat, not to mention he is a southpaw who is so far pretty tough and has a work rate like the energizer bunny! Some may disagree but I think Emanuel Stewart may be good for Williams as a trainer.

In regards to management the guy should have never left Welterweight as he already had a belt and win over Margs and should of pressured fights with the likes of Cintron, Clottey, Judah, Berto, Colazzo, Margs II to corner fights with the top guys!

To his credit, even when he left WW he stayed busy and put together some pretty good wins against decent to good opponents while moving up. BUT by doing so he is giving the WW a reminder & more reasons to why he was/being ducked. PW should have stay at WW for as long as his body could handle the weight!

King Eugene
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 5 2009, 01:09 AM) *
Yeah I agree Berto brings alot more to the table in terms on money, belts and future opportunities than Clottey. But Clottey offers more of a challenge, more of a better a fight and at the end of the day I HOPE brings more appreciation & respect from fans which to a fighters career is a lot more valuable than any money or belt!

In regards to the Goosen offer I couldn’t give you a straight answer or response as I don't know. Mosley is one of the few fighters that has flat out said to the media he would not fight Williams..holding no excuses or ridiculous comments in the process like other fighters have. I don't want to come off as contradicting but don't blame him, which has to do with Mosley age at point in his career rather than a MUST!

I don't want to come across as if i'm 'baggin' Williams as I'm actually a big fan of his, but I do however have concerns about the guy that turns into criticism. Such as watching him fight! The guy is exciting to see in the ring but why the fuck would you fight in close and decide to brawl with your opponents with a physic like that? It's an absolute shame & waste he does not use his height & reach against his opponents like a lanky rangy fighter should (Hearns, Forrest) but gives up his biggest advantages to his opponents. Imagine if Williams constantly used his jab and fought on the outside how close to impossible he would be to beat, not to mention he is a southpaw who is so far pretty tough and has a work rate like the energizer bunny! Some may disagree but I think Emanuel Stewart may be good for Williams as a trainer.

In regards to management the guy should have never left Welterweight as he already had a belt and win over Margs and should of pressured fights with the likes of Cintron, Clottey, Judah, Berto, Colazzo, Margs II to corner fights with the top guys!

To his credit, even when he left WW he stayed busy and put together some pretty good wins against decent to good opponents while moving up. BUT by doing so he is giving the WW a reminder & more reasons to why he was/being ducked. PW should have stay at WW for as long as his body could handle the weight!

Agreed!

I also said a couple of weeks ago that I think Emanuel Stewart would be a great trainer for Williams.

Back to the topic at hand though, Mosley is doing what fighters are SUPPOSE TO DO but great if he can do what no other fighter has done and thats stop Clottey.
JaRaNDa
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Sep 5 2009, 06:25 AM) *
Agreed!

I also said a couple of weeks ago that I think Emanuel Stewart would be a great trainer for Williams.

Back to the topic at hand though, Mosley is doing what fighters are SUPPOSE TO DO but great if he can do what no other fighter has done and thats stop Clottey.

I see where your getting in terms of Mosley's approach & doing what fighters a 'suppose to do' I just feel he is getting the short end of the stick with getting notable fights. To his credit taking on a fight against a highrisk low reward fighter late in his career when he has a LOT to loose at this point which is why I give props to the man for taking such a fight.

I know Mosley coming off his biggest win and looked bloody impressive in the process, but Margs is not Clottey in regards to defense! I think Clottey's turtle defense will prevent him from recieving Mosley bombs and may evan frustrate him. Mosley may have a better time trying to commit to curling his hooks to the body in hopes of slowing down and finding opening to land meaningful shots upstairs IF he is going for another stoppage. But I think it would be best to try use his legs & movement as much as possible in this fight. But yes none the less would be very impressive biggrin.gif

Mosley by close ugly decision!
Keith
QUOTE (JaRaNDa @ Sep 5 2009, 02:19 AM) *
I think Clottey's turtle defense will prevent him from recieving Mosley bombs and may evan frustrate him. Mosley may have a better time trying to commit to curling his hooks to the body in hopes of slowing down and finding opening to land meaningful shots upstairs IF he is going for another stoppage.

At 147, Mosley's power(especially to the body) alters his opponents gameplan more then his own. I agree that Clottey's turtleshell will invite some punishing blows to his flanks and I think people may be surprised how easily Shane begins moving Clottey backwards.
Thegreatequalizer
one thing i've noticed about fighters from ghana is that they don't seem to have that championship drive. they're tough and in shape and have good fundamentals and are consistent, but their consistency sometimes seems to be part of their downfall. cotto is an example of someone who digs deep to win. whenever he seems to be getting fatigued and fading a bit, he turns it on (see mosley, clottey, etc. fights). clottey on the other hand slowly fades as the fight goes on and never really brings it back. i think this will prevent clottey from being able to beat mosley. it will be a tough fight for mosley, but if mosley takes it seriously enough he should win. hopefully that will line him up for a mayweather fight.
Method
QUOTE (Keith @ Sep 5 2009, 09:38 AM) *
At 147, Mosley's power(especially to the body) alters his opponents gameplan more then his own. I agree that Clottey's turtleshell will invite some punishing blows to his flanks and I think people may be surprised how easily Shane begins moving Clottey backwards.

I agree. Clottey's got some bitch in him that seems to come out in every damn fight. As tough as an opponent I think he is, and even though I thought he deserved the "W" vs Cotto, there is no doubt, in my mind, that Clottey's got some bitch in him, and it comes out, at least at some point, during pretty much every fight.

I expect Shane to figure him out, out tough him, and beat him down the stretch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.