Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official: Mayweather-Marquez Preview and Prediction Poll!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
Who will win this match, and why? I am anticipating Marquez being very competitive as always, but the only way that Marquez wins is if Floyd's reflexes and ring generalship are shot from the layoff. I have Floyd by UD, at 116-112 on all cards.

Jack
The CEO
Mayweather will look like he's lost about half a step, and Marquez will make it competitive here and there...but I'm expecting Mayweather to win by impressive KO/TKO....he will stop Marquez in either the 4th or 8th round.
ezdoseit
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 7 2009, 12:54 PM) *
Who will win this match, and why? I am anticipating Marquez being very competitive as always, but the only way that Marquez wins is if Floyd's reflexes and ring generalship are shot from the layoff. I have Floyd by UD, at 116-112 on all cards.

Jack

ok what have we learned from floyds fights 1st any fighter his size he will dominate and i say same size caues they both started at featherweight. 2nd this fight wont be close i know marquez gave pman all kind of trouble but pac is no floyd not by a long shot i will give u not one but two kos marquez and pac-man it wont go past 8 rounds
KookedKrack
Mayweather by UD i think he will have JMM hurt a few times but wont go for the kill .....
Keith
Mayweather by KO before the 6th round. He shows no ring rust. Floyd knows he needs to look very impressive against a common opponent before he sits down to talk split with Pac. He has the perfect opportunity to be more aggressive then usual against a smaller, slower opponent who lacks punching power.
leonthegee
mayweather walks right through marquez ko in the 10th.
lloyd mayflower
Floyd by KO in round 6 in a moment that will make me sick right down to the pit my stomach
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 7 2009, 06:36 PM) *
Mayweather is going to spank him and probably stop him. It's a mismatch. Marquez won't hurt him and Mayweather will know this, he will open up.

It's a mismatch...but not as much of a mismatch as Mayweather-Hatton was.....OR Pacquiao-Hatton was for that matter... wink.gif
gbh32001
JMM Via Split decision, 115-113, 113-115,115-113. thumbsup_anim.gif But a robbery or controversial decision might happen in favor to Floyd.
Lil-lightsout
Mayweather wins easy. I would think Floyd would go for the kill kind of early, cause he needs and wants to make a statement.I just do not see one advantage for JMM, well maybe his toughness and determination. Those amateur mimicking PBF sparring partners were sad, and Juan is going to find out the hard way when he starts eating fast sharp punches, that he will not be prepared for PBF. I really do not like JMM's chin or legs either, and I do not see Floyd letting off the hook when he hurts Juan. I will go with Floyd by TKO in the 4th round. Ref will jump in or Nacho will stop it.

Biggest mismatch of the year, atleast on paper. Hopefully JMM proves me wrong and makes it interesting. I also hate to admit this, but I am acually getting this, I have a bunch of guys I work with interested in seeing this. So since people will chip in and pay for it, I willl watch it.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 7 2009, 10:38 PM) *
I will have to download it. Because despite what promoters and some fans say, here in Australia they don't have the same confidence and they will PPV it on a 2 day delay and show it on the Tuesday as they feel UFC 103 is the bigger event.
So will probably have to avoid the forums, download it and watch it later in the evening. Marquez is going to get hurt, Mayweather holds just about every advantage over him.

Except at a piss drinking contest.

I could be wrong, but I think it is cheaper than the usual complete ripoff PPV's we get($60), for a main event and 3 shitty undercard fights. Not sure the exact price though. I would not have the will power to wait, I would go on the forums right away.

I saw they're replaying the Lacy-Jones fight on ESPN classic real soon(forget the day). I am actually looking forward to seeing that fight.
provo
Floyd Will destroy JMM in 8 ! The first couple rounds floyd will sit back back and see what JMM does then take over! Floyd came back to prove that he is the best. So by that he will stop JMM something that pac couldn't do ! And after the fight floyd will brag about that!

Pac is consider the best right now ! Floyd came back because he Knows he can beat pac and the pay day would be big!
So come sept 19 we will see IMO a more Offensive dominate Floyd! "He's trying 2 prove a point"
Rperez
It does seem like a mismatch, but I hope JMM shows everyone different and gives it his all as I know he will. I think JMM has the heart to win by TKO if he breaks down FM, you never know!

That would be the best!
The Original MrFactor
I'm thinking JMM will win. I think the layoff will hurt Mayweather. I think it will be an ugly fight. It will be very tactical. I think it will be close and I think close favors Marquez. I think Marquez will be forced to apply pressure in the early rounds on Money. Money will be in retreat while countering. Marquez will adapt and the whole fight will slow down to an ugly crawl which will make the rounds indistinguishable. That favors Marquez. Since Marquez is the Golden Boy product, coupled with many people's natural disdain for Mayweather, I think Marquez wins a razor thin split decision.
torvix2000
JMM's determination, skills, etc. etc. will make this into another one of Floyd's run fests.
EirbinX
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 8 2009, 01:56 AM) *
I'm thinking JMM will win. I think the layoff will hurt Mayweather. I think it will be an ugly fight. It will be very tactical. I think it will be close and I think close favors Marquez. I think Marquez will be forced to apply pressure in the early rounds on Money. Money will be in retreat while countering. Marquez will adapt and the whole fight will slow down to an ugly crawl which will make the rounds indistinguishable. That favors Marquez. Since Marquez is the Golden Boy product, coupled with many people's natural disdain for Mayweather, I think Marquez wins a razor thin split decision.

i second that jus because i can't add much more to that statement
iron_mike
Floyd 118-112, 116-112, 115-113

Though, Marquez, the few rounds he will win, I wont go as far as to say he'll hurt Floyd, but he'll land some clean, eye catching shots that will make the place explode
provo
JMM is not going 2 win No way "unless in his corner they have piss instead of water and between rounds give it 2 him and he comes out spitting piss at floyd then hurry and counter LmaO then he might have a shot.LOL

Seriously though, I give JMM credit for taking this fight the man has heart, but mayweather is just to good for JMM, Nacho will stop this fight!
Get0ffdanutzz
This is such crap- Money Mayweather is going to destroy JMM... It's a joke; just like his so called rib injury.

1st of call- JMM can not compete at this weight. Is anyone watching 24/7? Usually this show makes you believe that someone is actually better than they really are.. in JMM case that show is making him look like crap. Dude is way to slow for pretty boy. This dude is going up in weight and losing the speed that he had.

JMM has a week as chin- Pacman dropped him 3 times in the 1st round!!! and two of the three shots were not hard. Just straight jabs!

Im getting the fight because im a huge boxing fan and Money MW fan, but come on.. KO or TKO by 8th..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
NOTHING I've seen in the 24/7 shows makes me think Marquez has a shot. To me he looks bloated, slow and a little flabby. He actually looks like a fighter who is in between fights, taking some time off and letting a little weight go on.

Fuck he looks SLOW and that's the edited highlights!!!!

Marquez won't be able to hurt PBF and once Floyd knows this (he laready knows this, it's why he took the fight) he will go in for the kill. As much as I hate to admit it back when he was in the 30's he was a beast. He has only been a more cautious fighter once he got to welter. In this fight he really is fighting a guy who is a 130 pounder and we all know what Floyd used to do to 130 pounders!!!

I think he will do to Marquez what he did to Gatti and that's a fucking shame because JMM seems lie a helluva nice guy (if not still a little bit of a girl for going on about those Pac desicions.)

A good solid tune up, a great payday (y'know PBF won't let us forget that) and some bargaining power for his fight with Pac (IF he gets by Cotto).

Ha ha I will be buying this fight though. Sucker!!!!!
King Eugene
Mayweather is either going to Toy with him and stop him late or come out like a man on a mission like he did in the 30's and brutalize him and piss people off for buying such a short main event.
provo
I agree with all that are saying JMM will get destroyed LOL, he's a nice guy has heart but No where near Floyds level!
ezdoseit
didnt marquez lose to chris john lol anyway floyd by tko 9th round
Keith
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 9 2009, 07:54 PM) *
Got a lot to do with age, strength and weight. Not because he is completely off his level.

I'm in total agreement. Pound for pound its relatively equal, slight edge to Floyd. I think JMM could probably still be fighting at 130, where his physical limitations wouldnt be as profound and his ring intelligence can dominate fights.

The CEO
Believe it or not....Floyd's reach is his best advantage in this particular matchup...and you can best believe he'll make good use of it.
Keith
QUOTE (The CEO @ Sep 9 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Believe it or not....Floyd's reach is his best advantage in this particular matchup...and you can best believe he'll make good use of it.

Ya, I think we can expect an extra helping of straight as an arrow 1-2's.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Sep 8 2009, 02:38 AM) *
I will have to download it. Because despite what promoters and some fans say, here in Australia they don't have the same confidence and they will PPV it on a 2 day delay and show it on the Tuesday as they feel UFC 103 is the bigger event.
So will probably have to avoid the forums, download it and watch it later in the evening. Marquez is going to get hurt, Mayweather holds just about every advantage over him.

It is a bigger more bankable event & from my understanding UFC does consistantly high numbers in OZ so why on earth would they go with a guy who does not generate the numbers here.

Fuck him it will do 500 buys in OZ & I will not be one of them unless he loses that is.....

Dana White has a accurate take on this farce.

UFC supremo Dana White has taken another swing at the sweet science.
White has already made his feelings clear about Floyd Mayweather Jnr's comeback taking place on the same night as UFC 103.

And now he has followed it up by mocking Mayweather's opponent, Juan Manuel Marquez.

White said: "Boxing is doing it to you again. They're giving you the fight that you don't want.

"Nobody asked for this fight with Mayweather and ... what's his name? What's his name?

"Nobody even knows who he's fighting.

"Yet on that same night, September 19, you guys can all tune in and watch not one but five great UFC fights.

"And we're charging $10 less than what Mayweather wants you to pay to see him run around in circles, lay on the ropes, move around and not fight."

streetlion1
Marquez tends to start slow and I think Gayweather is gonna make it a point to try to be impressive. I think Money Gay goes on the attack and Marquez will be lucky to see the 6-7th rounds.

But I'll be hoping that Marquez proves me wrong. All I know is im glad I am paying 12.00$ to see it at the theatre instead of another 50$ ripoff that Gayweathers ppvs tend to be.
torvix2000
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 01:17 PM) *
"And we're charging $10 less than what Mayweather wants you to pay to see him run around in circles, lay on the ropes, move around and not fight." [/i]

LOL! There is some truth into this one.
streetlion1
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 08:17 AM) *
It is a bigger more bankable event & from my understanding UFC does consistantly high numbers in OZ so why on earth would they go with a guy who does not generate the numbers here.

Fuck him it will do 500 buys in OZ & I will not be one of them unless he loses that is.....

Dana White has a accurate take on this farce.

UFC supremo Dana White has taken another swing at the sweet science.
White has already made his feelings clear about Floyd Mayweather Jnr's comeback taking place on the same night as UFC 103.

And now he has followed it up by mocking Mayweather's opponent, Juan Manuel Marquez.

White said: "Boxing is doing it to you again. They're giving you the fight that you don't want.

"Nobody asked for this fight with Mayweather and ... what's his name? What's his name?

"Nobody even knows who he's fighting.

"Yet on that same night, September 19, you guys can all tune in and watch not one but five great UFC fights.

"And we're charging $10 less than what Mayweather wants you to pay to see him run around in circles, lay on the ropes, move around and not fight."

Sorry...but i gotta jump in cause im sick of the whole MMA-Boxing thing. Fuck Dana White and fuck the UFC. Boxing is a real sport and mma is not. Even though I hate Gayweather I would rather pay 50$ over and over again to see boxing rather than a glorified street fight where very possibly the two guys will wrestle around on the ground for a while before getting pounded out or tapping out.

IMO boxing has way more to offer than mma. Now I didnt wanna see Floyd fight Marquez either but no matter what happens its 10 times better than what UFC has to offer. Dana White just sounds like a hater who is a little afraid that he'll lose some buys come fight night.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 10 2009, 10:52 AM) *
Sorry...but i gotta jump in cause im sick of the whole MMA-Boxing thing. Fuck Dana White and fuck the UFC. Boxing is a real sport and mma is not. Even though I hate Gayweather I would rather pay 50$ over and over again to see boxing rather than a glorified street fight where very possibly the two guys will wrestle around on the ground for a while before getting pounded out or tapping out.

IMO boxing has way more to offer than mma. Now I didnt wanna see Floyd fight Marquez either but no matter what happens its 10 times better than what UFC has to offer. Dana White just sounds like a hater who is a little afraid that he'll lose some buys come fight night.

My response to Dana White and MMA Fans is always something like this,

If bars and closed circuit theaters would have shown the classic fights of the past to public businesses, MMA would not have a leg on which to stand.

If your MMA fans could have seen the classic fights like Corrales-Castillo I, Ward-Gatti trilogy, (especially 1), Morales-Barrera trilogy, Hagler-Hearns, Bowe-Holyfield trilogy, or the other HUNDREDS of great fights in a big screen like that, let me assure you that it would be the ufc in the small print!

The greatest boxing matches will always be better 100 times over than anything the UFC will ever produce. What is the greatest UFC Match you ever saw in your life? Now compare that to those fights I mentioned above. You can't! No way!

Jack
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ Sep 10 2009, 03:52 PM) *
Boxing is a real sport and mma is not.

Everything you said after this is redundant.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 10 2009, 08:44 PM) *
The greatest boxing matches will always be better 100 times over than anything the UFC will ever produce. What is the greatest UFC Match you ever saw in your life? Now compare that to those fights I mentioned above. You can't! No way!

Jack

I agree Jack but that is the thing. UFC is consistant with putting on the best possible fights & the most competitive fights in ALL their cards. Boxing milks champions & matches them up with palookas time & time again to the detirment of the fans & the fighters.

UFC PPV cards are filled with quality fights. I cannot remember the last boxing PPV that was "stacked" with quality fights. Can you?
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 09:17 AM) *

I'm pretty sure Dana White knows who Marquez is. But all of this bullshit he is talking is just to sell his event, if he could get Mayweather in an MMA headlining match, he sure as fuck would.
BigG
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 11:57 PM) *
I agree Jack but that is the thing. UFC is consistant with putting on the best possible fights & the most competitive fights in ALL their cards. Boxing milks champions & matches them up with palookas time & time again to the detirment of the fans & the fighters.

UFC PPV cards are filled with quality fights. I cannot remember the last boxing PPV that was "stacked" with quality fights. Can you?

Well the last UFC certainly wasnt stacked with quality fights....no offense, but you had a main event with 2 washed up champs. Cotoure is fuckin 46 and lost to a washed up Noguirea and was getting dropped by weak punches. Brock Lesnars ground and pound win over Cotoure, means shit to me after seeing how shot Cotoure is. Alot of the dudes on the undercard looked like bums? I mean the kindergarden teacher who got KO'd in 7 seconds? Keith Jardine? You serious?

I also don't care to see Belfornt-Franklin...only because Franklin is fuckin overrated and Belfort is shot to shit when was this guys prime? When he was knocking out the great Bar Room brawler with no skills Tank Abott? Mayweather-Marquez all fuckin day. Two legends...
torvix2000
QUOTE (BigG @ Sep 11 2009, 04:07 PM) *
Well the last UFC certainly wasnt stacked with quality fights....no offense, but you had a main event with 2 washed up champs. Cotoure is fuckin 46 and lost to a washed up Noguirea and was getting dropped by weak punches. Brock Lesnars ground and pound win over Cotoure, means shit to me after seeing how shot Cotoure is.

It was exciting coz a lot of fans want to see them permanently damaged, too. In the same way a lot of fans will watch Floyd get killed in the ring. For that he would have to fight opponents boxing fans want. And we all know they don't want Floyd fighting JMM.
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone else liking the value of under 11.5 rounds +115?

Mayweather wins this fight without question, and I'm 85% sure he does so by stoppage.

I can't wait to see what kind of odds they release on Mayweather by stoppage. Since the under is +115 I think they'd set Mayweather by KO at about 3-2 which is a phenomenal value payout wise on a near lock pick.

kidbazooka1
I see Marquez giving Mayweather some problems early on but once Floyd gets going and hops on the bike he'll take a comfortable UD.
Keith
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Sep 14 2009, 06:13 PM) *
I see Marquez giving Mayweather some problems early on but once Floyd gets going and hops on the bike he'll take a comfortable UD.

I've read this on here from a lot of posters but I have to disagree with it. I think people are overlooking the fact that JMM is a slow starter. He needs a few rounds to figure out how to counter and attack his opponent. I dont think JMM is going to have much success at any point in this fight... but if he does it will be after he gets adjusted to PBFs speed.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't see how a guy in his late 30's that has been through a bunch of ring wars that is fighting far above his natural weight is going to successfully be able to adjust to the speed of one of the fastest fighters in the game today. And not just fast, but very complete.

torvix2000
Juan Manuel Marquez has been fighting bangers before Chris John.

Mayweather has an ACE over JMM. His chicken potshotting run. I mean if Chris John can do it, why not Floyd? But that ACE won't be used because Floyd will knock him out. Well, you disagree with me? Then let's talk about that ACE.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I like Mayweather by comfortable decision, maybe 116-112. Marquez has been one of the best fighters in the last five years, and is not going to get dominated. He's fought the best of the best recently and hasn't been dominated yet. I heard he got robbed big time against Chris John, and Chris John got that fight in his hometown. However, Marquez isn't big enough to be fighting at 147. He's spend most of his career at 126-130 and had one fight at 135 where he had some shaky moments. I think the move up in weight will hurt his speed and precision. Mayweather will take advantage of this and take over in the middle rounds. Marquez will be competitve, but just a step behind Mayweather. The layoff will play a factor, but only in the early rounds. Looking forward to a good fight card though, and John-Juarez 2 should be a good fight.
rusty_trombone
I don't suspect Marquez will last the entire fight, I think by 8 rounds he's out of there. Of course it depends on in what the layoff has done to Mayweather.
JD
I will take Mayweather by decision.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 15 2009, 07:19 PM) *
I will take Mayweather by decision.

I'm extremely surprised by the opening result odds on the fight:

Mayweather by KO is -105
Mayweather by Dec is +170
Marquez by KO is +600
Marquez by Dec is +750

So basically Mayweather is favored to stop Marquez, not decision him...

...yet the over under remains +115 on the over and -155 on the under, indicating that the fight is favored to go the distance...

Obviously there's an issue with these odds if the over under is saying the fight is supposed to go the distance but the most favorable outcome odds wise is Mayweather by KO. Therefore I see no reason not to play the under if you are going to bet. However if you feel strongly that the fight WILL go the distance, certainly Mayweather is going to win on points so I can see people jumping at +170 also.
imhere
I voted for DRAW!

Nobody will be willing to take the dive coz they are both counterpunchers for god sakes. We will be waiting the whole fight for someone to engage the opposition
KookedKrack
QUOTE (imhere @ Sep 17 2009, 03:34 AM) *
I voted for DRAW!

Nobody will be willing to take the dive coz they are both counterpunchers for god sakes. We will be waiting the whole fight for someone to engage the opposition

While marquez is an excellent counter puncher he has shown PLENTY of times that he is willing to get aggressive
The CEO
Floyd has no problem being aggressive/offensive with anyone his size or smaller...
BrutalBodyShots
Good call Fitz. Mayweather by stoppage is the way to go. However, I'd suggest playing the under 11.5 rounds line at +115 rather than the Mayweather stoppage line at -105. Better payout unless you believe it will happen in the final 30 secs of the fight. I'm thinking 7-8 rounds and Marquez is done, if not sooner.

I picture Diaz ringing Marquez' bell in the 2nd round and all it makes me think is that if Mayweather catches him he's gonna finish him early. Mayweather is faster and a much sharper puncher than Diaz too.

BrutalBodyShots
Check that. They changed the Mayweather KO payout to +160 from -105 that it opened at yesterday. They finally got the odds right. I threw $188 or so on Mayweather by KO to win about $300.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.