Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez/Mayweather buildup thread(rumors, tidbits etc)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
I didn't want to make this a part of the prediction thread as that thread will probably be used strictly for that and discussion fight night. Just wanted to make a thread talking about the build up, stories, rumors etc. If it's better the threads be consolidated, so be it.

There's some good stories floating around the Mayweather camp. Not sure who that guy was on 24/7 with the bloody nose but apparently Lamont Peterson more than held his own with Floyd during their sparring session. I've also heard Floyd's been sparring with Kendall Holt (he put it on his Facebook page) and this guy Steve O'Meara.

Except for those guys with a poor excuse of a shoulder roll and low left, I don't know if Marquez is sparring any names? My bad, I did hear he was sparring JC Castillio.

Back to Floyd one of the stories is that Lamont was wearing 18 ounce gloves and floyd had on 14's (WTF?) and Lamont more than held his own.

I don't think in the grand scheme this means much of anything but it really does make you wish they would show those sparring sessions of Floyd's.

I have a question, anyone know the weight of this fight?? I mean seriously I can't answer that question definitively.
torvix2000
I'll wait for this fight in the replay.
JD
The fight is at 144, Floyd gets fined $300k for every pound over.

Being that Marquez is a GBP fighter, can someone explain to me why Shane Mosley is not sparring with him? Those dudes he has in there are horrific...I was hysterical watching them.
D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Sep 9 2009, 11:13 AM) *
The fight is at 144, Floyd gets fined $300k for every pound over.

Being that Marquez is a GBP fighter, can someone explain to me why Shane Mosley is not sparring with him? Those dudes he has in there are horrific...I was hysterical watching them.

JD, I heard two different stories. I heard that Shane did indeed spar with Juan Marquez once or twice. BUT I also heard that Shane isn't a big fan of Marquez Vs Mayweather so he didn't want anything to do with it. I don't know who to believe. But Im almost certain that Nacho has some good sparring partners. those guys are the show aren't the real deal. They didn't even have the head gear on.
leonthegee
QUOTE (torvix2000 @ Sep 9 2009, 08:12 AM) *
I'll wait for this fight in the replay.

ur a fag of course ull wait for it on replay.
KookedKrack
I'm definitely ordering the ppv because they are showing it on the hd channel over ufc and i would like it if they kept it that way.
Box in Hand
Floyd has been beat up in sparring before so the new rumors shouldn't mean much. Spadafora beat his ass and as far as I know, it's the only sparring session recorded (Look on YouTube). Sparring is just a mock fight with gear on so I can't put too much stock in that. Also, whoever mentioned getting Mosely for Marquez to spar with is spot on. Those bums on 24/7 looked terrible.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Sep 9 2009, 02:17 PM) *
Floyd has been beat up in sparring before so the new rumors shouldn't mean much. Spadafora beat his ass and as far as I know, it's the only sparring session recorded (Look on YouTube). Sparring is just a mock fight with gear on so I can't put too much stock in that. Also, whoever mentioned getting Mosely for Marquez to spar with in spot on. Those bums on 24/7 looked terrible.

The only reason Spadafora beat him in sparring is cause PBF was not even training, where is Paul was in great shape and his fight was very near. So it obviously means nothing. Now with this Lamont Peterson stuff, Floyd should be pretty damn sharp right now(his fight is a little over a week away) and you would think no inexperienced and untested Peterson should be giving the "No. 1" P4P fighter trouble. But maybe Floyd was not giving it his all(it is just sparring), or maybe Peterson is the goods? I personally think Peterson looks like a really good prospect, but he does really need to step up the comp.
leonthegee
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2009, 12:14 PM) *
The only reason Spadafora beat him in sparring is cause PBF was not even training, where is Paul was in great shape and his fight was very near. So it obviously means nothing. Now with this Lamont Peterson stuff, Floyd should be pretty damn sharp right now(his fight is a little over a week away) and you would think no inexperienced and untested Peterson should be giving the "No. 1" P4P fighter trouble. But maybe Floyd was not giving it his all(it is just sparring), or maybe Peterson is the goods? I personally think Peterson looks like a really good prospect, but he does really need to step up the comp.

do u really think this bullshit is even true? why would floyd be sparring this close to his fight? makes no sence.
leonthegee
they have the story on boxingscene.com its a pretty good story actually.
MarzB
Oh I believe it but I wouldn't put much stock into it performance wise. Besides I think you want to have DAMN good sparring leading into a fight. Floyd after a layoff definitely needs it.

I remember when Leonard came back for Hagler, Quincy Taylor apparently was giving him the business putting him down on multiple occasions. This made Ray modify his game plan going against Hagler.

The story with Peterson sounds good and if anything it's entertaining. Oh and the Paulie Spadafora sparring match. Thank you Lightscout for telling the story. Besides it wasn't like Paulie was beating the schit out of Floyd, he just got the better end of it. The entire session is on youtube.

I see there is atleast a consensus of those horrible partners Marquez had,lol..

I'll end saying this, that glove size differential is bullschit!! I understand they're trying to prevent an injury but 4 ounce differences, come on....
provo
This Mayweather sparring with Lamont is just for build up! So all the Mayweather Haters can believe "oh maybe floyd isn't the same and might loose and now come sept 19 more Mayweather haters will tune in and order the fight !
And its sparring u don't go all out in sparring !
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 9 2009, 04:12 PM) *
I remember when Leonard came back for Hagler, Quincy Taylor apparently was giving him the business putting him down on multiple occasions. This made Ray modify his game plan going against Hagler.

The story with Peterson sounds good and if anything it's entertaining. Oh and the Paulie Spadafora sparring match. Thank you Lightscout for telling the story. Besides it wasn't like Paulie was beating the schit out of Floyd, he just got the better end of it. The entire session is on youtube.

I also remember the story of Holyfield when he started his training for his 1st fight with Mike Tyson. He was getting handled by Gary Bell in sparring, who was a prospect coming up at the time. He actually was not that good either IMO. Well by the end of camp it was not the same Holyfield, and he went on to defeat the heavily favored Tyson in one of his finest performances.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (provo @ Sep 9 2009, 04:32 PM) *
And its sparring u don't go all out in sparring !

Go to some Philly gyms and tell me if you still believe that. I am sure it is the same at many other gyms too.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 9 2009, 03:35 PM) *
Go to some Philly gyms and tell me if you still believe that. I am sure it is the same at many other gyms too.

The Philly gym wars are legendary and in fact were so brutal they ruined many up and coming fighters.
Method
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Sep 9 2009, 04:41 PM) *
The Philly gym wars are legendary and in fact were so brutal they ruined many up and coming fighters.

So legendary Hagler made it his HQ for training for while.
MarzB
If HBO really wants to make 24/7 interesting they should try to get a hold of Lamont Peterson asking him to describe the session.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (StyleZ @ Sep 9 2009, 10:50 AM) *
JD, I heard two different stories. I heard that Shane did indeed spar with Juan Marquez once or twice. BUT I also heard that Shane isn't a big fan of Marquez Vs Mayweather so he didn't want anything to do with it. I don't know who to believe.

I'll go with the latter point on that one. I think it's clear Shane is not happy with this fight.

I remember seeing footage of the late Greg Page dropping Mike Tyson in sparring over in Japan prior to his fight with Buster Douglas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.