Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: James Toney rates his opposition "The Best I've Faced"
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
MarzB
One thing I like about this piece from RING is it talks about a fighter who I've spoken about here that I don't think gets his props in Mike McCallum. Those fights between James and Mike were good and consider this, Mike was on the downside of his career. In most of James answers he states Mike McCallum was the one who he learned the most from and had the best attributes of what they're asking. I don't exactly agree with his observation of MOntell Griffin and Roy Jones at the end but overall it's a good piece.

Props also to him mentioning Michael "Second to" Nunn also. Awesome southpaw.

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/1070/james_tone...e_best_i_faced/

James Toney enters his 20th year in professional boxing with Saturdayís non-televised bout against Matthew Greer on the undercard of Showtimeís Andre Ward-Shelby Pudwill offering. Who knows how far Toney will get in what has to be the last hurrah of his hall-of-fame career but he certainly has a lot to look back on, which the former three-division titleholder did recently with RingTV.com. In what will become a regular blog item featuring the most accomplished fighterís of our generation, Toney lists the best he faced in 10 important categories.

Best fighter: Mike McCallum -- Thatís an easy choice, right off the top of my head itís the Body Snatcher. He was the best fighter I fought at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. Out of all the fighters I fought, I respect him the most because he made me think about everything I tried to do. Before McCallum I was just runniní in on everyone, but he made me slow down and think for the first time.

Best Boxer: McCallum -- Yup, itís him again. Itís between McCallum and Michael Nunn, but I gotta go with McCallum because he was a master boxer who wasnít afraid to stand his ground. Nunn was mostly fast. I admit that he outboxed me for about nine rounds, but my body shots slowed him down. I told him during the fight ĎIím gonna catch you!í And I did.

Best puncher: Merqui Sosa -- Sam Peter is the hardest puncher Iíve fought, but pound-for-pound itís Sosa because he hurt me the most. Iíll never forget that fight, we fought on an ESPN show in Atlantic City on a Sunday. I went at him like I did everyone back then and that mother f_____ hit me so hard in the third round I was seeing triple for the next three rounds. He knew how to hit and he was so awkward that I couldnít time him and he caught me high on the head.

Quickest hands: Roy Jones -- He was fast. Iíll give him that, but thatís all Iíll give him. I would have knocked him out if I wasnít drained from losing 44 pounds in six weeks. I went in (that fight) like a fool and wasnít properly prepared.

Quickest feet: Nunn -- He had some fast-ass feet (laughing), didnít he? He was an escape artist for nine or 10 rounds, Ďtil I caught up to him.

Best defense: McCallum: He was right there in front of me, but I had a hard time hitting him with clean punches. I basically came into my own by fighting him. I learned how to be elusive without running around the ring by fighting Mike McCallum three times.

Best chin: Tony Thornton: The punching postman from Philly! (laughs) I thought I was gonna knock him out easy. He was squared up with his chin right there for me to hit but I hit him with every punch I had and he wouldnít budge. I hit him with my best left hook and he didnít blink.

Best jab: McCallum: Mikeís jab was like a piston. There were other guys I fought who had good jabs, like Nunn and Jones, but they just had speed and they just flicked it. Mike popped that jab with authority. He was an old-school fighter.

Strongest: Samuel Peter: He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength.

Smartest: McCallum: Come on, who do you think it is? Whoís the one fighter I truly respect? You got it, the Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum. I fought my share of boxers who thought they were clever like Roy Jones, Michael Nunn, Montell Griffin, and Reggie Johnson, but they were all scared to really fight. McCallum boxed, he fought, he defended, and he didnít run all over the ring. He could do all that because he was smart.
thehype
Aw yes...good ol' James Toney...we should probably get our own interview with him. I hear he's gotten himself into pretty good shape for his fight this Saturday.
MarzB
QUOTE (thehype @ Sep 10 2009, 01:05 PM) *
Aw yes...good ol' James Toney...we should probably get our own interview with him. I hear he's gotten himself into pretty good shape for his fight this Saturday.

I love James hype but I'll believe it when I see it,lol. He said the same thing for PETER II when he worked with Billy Blanks and he looked only a little better. If he's under 240 I'll be impressed.
The Original MrFactor
Great read. Great to see TONEY give props to The Body Snatcher. McCallum was a great fighter. He was the Hopkins of his day. He didnt do one thing absolutely great. He did everything and I mean everything extremely well. His only shortcoming was that he was too nice. He didnt promote himself very well being nice and quiet. I think he woulda gave Hagler, hearns and Leonard hell back in the day... The big 3 back then should have been the big 4 with The Body Snatcher thrown into the mix... In fact lemme go down and see if i can create him for FNR4... LOL!!! he was great...
MarzB
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 10 2009, 02:42 PM) *
Great read. Great to see TONEY give props to The Body Snatcher. McCallum was a great fighter. He was the Hopkins of his day. He didnt do one thing absolutely great. He did everything and I mean everything extremely well. His only shortcoming was that he was too nice. He didnt promote himself very well being nice and quiet. I think he woulda gave Hagler, hearns and Leonard hell back in the day... The big 3 back then should have been the big 4 with The Body Snatcher thrown into the mix... In fact lemme go down and see if i can create him for FNR4... LOL!!! he was great...

Great synopsis. I grew up in Detroit and saw McCallum spar Hearns, a young Gerald McCllellan, Dennis Andries, etc. I also watch him work out and he would always (in his thick Caribbean accent) take time out for us kids and talk to us. His workouts was unreal even though I didn't understand what he was doing but his heavybag work was like, "WOW". You didn't know what you were watching (at the time) but it was awe inspiring. Apparently he and Manny had falling out and he left later on but he was alwys one of my favs.

But he was really a pleasant guy.
Big Slim Sweet
LMAO at his assessment of Sam Peter. "He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength."

James Toney reigning P4P #1 interview in the history of boxing.
STEVENSKI
I agree with Toney on his thoughts.
Method
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Sep 10 2009, 03:42 PM) *
I think he woulda gave Hagler, hearns and Leonard hell back in the day... The big 3 back then should have been the big 4 with The Body Snatcher thrown into the mix...

The Big three werent the big three at Middleweight. It was my man Hags. Fuck Tommy and Ray at 160.

Hype, you really hearing he's in shape? I hope so. That said, I am so tired of pulling for James to show up in shape only to be disgusted. Enough of that already. As someone else said, I needs to sees it to believes it.
rusty_trombone
Hardest Opponent: McRib Sandwich
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Sep 10 2009, 11:05 PM) *

Best Toney combo?

Supersize Mc Rib meal with a strawberry thickshake & a 20 pack of nuggets. When he rolls through drive through he don't order they just get it ready.
The CEO
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Best Toney combo?

Supersize Mc Rib meal with a strawberry thickshake & a 20 pack of nuggets. When he rolls through drive through he don't order they just get it ready.

laugh.gif

You should throw up that classic Toney post you made again.....I think that was you...about shakes and food...
Method
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Sep 10 2009, 07:05 PM) *

Angry Whoppa'

STEVENSKI

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 8 2009, 01:51 AM) *
Round 8
Toney comes out with a jab. Calzaghe digs a right to the body. Calzaghe fires away. Toney blocking most of his shots. Nice left hand lands for Calzaghe. Joe is picking up his workrate. Toney is oinned and Calzaghe fires away. Toney lands a nice right hand but calzaghe eats hit and keeps thrwoing.
Good Round for Calzaghe

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 8 2009, 08:37 AM) *
Break between rounds 8 & 9

Toney is really destroying those ribs & the commentaters begin to wonder if that black blood smeared around his mouth is internal bleeding. Not to worry though as it is only BBQ sauce & is quickly wiped away.

Round 9
Slow round. Calzaghe stalks Toney moves out the way. Calzaghe lands a nice combo. Toney Lands a good Uppercut but Calzaghe is out working him. Joe let's his hands fly nothing lands. OOOOOOOHHHHH Big counter right lands fo Toney and Calzaghe begins to bleed from his nose.

Break between rounds 9 & 10

It is clear that the ribs were a bad idea & James calls for liquid refreshment in his charming style of "thickshake strawberry now muthafucker"

Round 10.
Toney appears to be slowing down. Calzaghe flurries and lands mostly on arms and gloves. Toney grabs Calzaghe. Toney digs a combo to Calzaghe's body. Joe keeps coming foward, forces James to a corner and fires away. Joe lands a few shots and Toney counters with a right hand.

Round 11
Toney chooses to box a bit this round. Jab, JAb, JAb... Calzaghe doesn't have an answer for the jab. Slow round. Toney lands a right hand then throws the hook which misses. Calzghe pushes him back and fires away. Some shots get in.

Break between rounds 11 & 12

Toney greedily slurps his thickshake complaining that "I needed this shit earlier it gives me energy"

Round 12
Calzaghe seems Gassed. Those body shots have caught up to him. Toney lands a right hand then moves away. Calzaghe flurries but lands nothing. Toney throws a left hook which catches Joe on the chin. They exchange in the middle of the ring. Toney lands a wicked right hand. and thats the final bell...

After losing the decision Toney lurches from the ring telling Larry Merchant "you wanna interview me you honkey you find me at Caesars, Caesars buffet but don't cut my line!"

They go to the scorecards....

116-112
115-113
115-113... For you're winner...

JOEEEEEEEEEEEE Calzaghe! The crowd BOO's

Toney was robbed!

STEVENSKI
This is a combination between me & StyleZ edited for your reading pleasure

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 8 2009, 08:37 AM)
You left out some key points.

Toney comes to the ring eating cheesy fries & drinking a Dr Pepper complaining that "this fight is getting me away from that damm buffet"

QUOTE (damarvelous1 @ Jul 8 2009, 01:51 AM)
Round 1:
Calzaghe comes out fast. Blasting Toney against the corner. No feeling out process for Calzaghe in this one. Great counter right hand stops Calzaghe in his tracks. Calzaghe fights back. Non stop action as the exchange in the middle of the ring.

Round 2:
Calzaghe comes out firing away. Toney starts to make Calzaghe look real foolish in there. WHOA... Counter right hand lands flush on Calzaghe's Jaw. Calzaghe is stunned but he continues to fight back. OOHHHH.... WICKED right hand lands for Toney. Toney is making Calzaghe look like a child in there. BIG ROund for Toney.

Round 3:
MOre of the same... Calzaghe missling wild shots and Toney Cracking Calzaghe's Jaw with his right hand. Calzaghe backs Toney up against the corner and let his hands fly. No shots land. Toney yells something at Calzaghe and motions him to bring it on. WHOA... Hard right hand lands for Toney. Calzaghe seems hurt but he continues to fight back.

Break between round 3 & 4

Toney refuses to continue until he is grilled a fresh cheeseburger during round 4.

Round 4:
Calzaghe comes out stalking. Toney bounces a left hook off Calzaghe's head. Calzaghe pins Toney against the corner and let his hands go. Shot ARE landing. Toney seems to be dazed a little. Toney pushes Calzaghe away. Good bodyshot lands for Calzaghe. Toney retreats.... Calzaghe is all over Toney. Toney is in trouble... Bell Rings. BIG round for Calzaghe.

Break between round 4 & 5

Toney wolfs down a fresh cheeseburger bitterly complaining that "I told you this shit would happen if I don't get my food muthafucka" refusing water Toney screams "get me a fuckin coke".

Round 5:
SLow round... Calzghe jabs as Toney reserves himself. WHOA Left hand clobbers Calzaghe and he's hurt but he continues to fight. Toney let's him off the hook and now Calzaghe is on the attack. JAB JAB... Calzaghe has found a home for his jab. Slow Round

Round 6
Toney come out agressive. Calzaghe misses a wild hook and pays the price. Big right Hand lands for Toney. Nasty body shots land for Toney. Calzaghe returns fire but Nobody's home. Toney stalking Joe now. digs a left hand to the rib cage. Calzaghe is hurt. Toney walks him down and lands a right hand. Good round for Toney

Round 7
More of the same. Calzghe throwing punches but not landing. Toney making him pay. BRUTAL uppercut lands for TOney. Calzaghe showing a lot of heart in there. Calzaghe flurries but nothing lands. Toney not doing much. Calzaghe continues to throw. Pins Toney against the corner... NICE combination to the body.

Break between round 7 & 8

Toney is complaining of hunger pains & says he feels drained. There is talk about his ribs taking a grilling in the previous round. This seems to motivate James but not the way his corner wants. "Ribs, get me some ribs muthafucka & I want BBQ sauce on those muthafuckas & whole rack!"
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Best Toney combo?

Don't forget 2 orders of super size fries.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 10 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Angry Whoppa'

damn, toney has been responsible for the deaths of too many animals
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Method @ Sep 10 2009, 06:04 PM) *
Hype, you really hearing he's in shape? I hope so. That said, I am so tired of pulling for James to show up in shape only to be disgusted. Enough of that already. As someone else said, I needs to sees it to believes it.

Thing is, even if James showed up in shape and whipped some ass, what would be the chances he'd show up in shape again for his next fight?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Sweetness @ Sep 10 2009, 09:49 PM) *
Thing is, even if James showed up in shape and whipped some ass, what would be the chances he'd show up in shape again for his next fight?

laugh.gif So true.

Also..A big fuck you to Trumbone and Stevenski!!! Enough with the jokes(atleast go easy on him), give the man some respect. Sure he has always had eating issues, but atleast he will fight ANYONE and ducks no one. He is a real fighter, he is one of the very few around. Who else gives a better interview?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 11 2009, 02:00 AM) *
laugh.gif So true.

Also..A big fuck you to Trumbone and Stevenski!!! Enough with the jokes(atleast go easy on him), give the man some respect. Sure he has always had eating issues, but atleast he will fight ANYONE and ducks no one. He is a real fighter, he is one of the very few around. Who else gives a better interview?

Toney greedily slurps his thickshake complaining that "I needed this shit earlier it gives me energy"
Warlord
QUOTE (MarzB @ Sep 10 2009, 09:58 AM) *
Strongest: Samuel Peter: He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength.

laugh.gif Toney's the best.

Just out of curiosity, any of you guys remember those pics of Toney posted AWHILE ago, where he was photoshopped onto a silverback gorilla? That shit was hilarious. And then Reg_1 came on, or some idiot, complaining it was "racist" and shit. Goddamn these forums used to be the shit. A long time ago.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 10 2009, 10:00 PM) *
laugh.gif So true.

look what you have gone and made me do

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Sep 11 2009, 12:25 PM) *
look what you have gone and made me do

LMAO!!! I can not lie, that's pretty damn funny.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Sep 10 2009, 11:20 PM) *

LMAO!!!!!!!
JonnyBlaze
I remember posting long about about what Toney thought about McCallum(the he was the best he fought)..McCallum is one of my favorites of all time..Just to throw it out there,McCallum's 3 of 5 losses were in his last 4 fights of his career..No one was ever able to KO him either..He doesn't get the props he deserves..He was a thinking boxer and thats what makes decent fighters become great..A lot of guys these days obviously aren't thinking in the ring about what they are doing..Margarito for example is just throwing a lot of punches and hoping something lands..

All the greats of the past were thinkers..Ray Robinson,Archie Moore,Joe Louis,Benny Leonard,and Willie Pep to name a few of my favorite thinkers..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Sep 13 2009, 06:06 PM) *
I remember posting long about about what Toney thought about McCallum(the he was the best he fought)..McCallum is one of my favorites of all time..Just to throw it out there,McCallum's 3 of 5 losses were in his last 4 fights of his career..No one was ever able to KO him either..He doesn't get the props he deserves..

Yeah...I agree. You here about the other greats alot more than you do about McCallum.
JonnyBlaze
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 13 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Yeah...I agree. You here about the other greats alot more than you do about McCallum.

Yup..It really sucks too..McCallum is monster and I'll always remember that KO of Curry..

On another note I'm glad to hear Toney dropped weight and came in the ring a lot lighter than usual..He finally realizes that if he wants to keep fighting,he needs to keep his conditioning good to allow him to do what he does best..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.